The Raid/The Raid 2: Berandal

doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
edited January 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 11,139
Indonesian film about a SWAT team becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster and his army of killers and thugs.

This film looks straight bananas and will redefine action movies. Easily, one of my most anticipated movies of the year. The buzz around this movie is through the roof.

Anyone else know about this movie about to be released. Share your thoughts and whatnot...

Comments

• edited February 2012 Posts: 2,782
    we know we've talking about it for months here. Can't wait thanks for the HD trailer and it's directed by a Welsh man.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Oh ok. Well in that case if a mod can merge the threads or whatever. Dont want to be accused of clogging up the boards lol.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I can't wait for this film ! This movie will kick the bottom of Bond, Bourne, Hunt as the real action movie of the 21st century !
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    doubleoego wrote:
    Oh ok. Well in that case if a mod can merge the threads or whatever. Dont want to be accused of clogging up the boards lol.

Well if there is another thread it's buried somewhere, so continue discussing it here.
  • Loads of links and info on this kick bottom film here:

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/02/fk-yes-the-raid-us-trailer.php
    edited February 2013 Posts: 11,139
    http://collider.com/the-raid-2-sequel-images/

First Images from THE RAID 2 Which Officially Began Production Today and Will Shoot for Over 100 Days

by Dave Trumbore Posted: January 31st, 2013 at 5:08 pm

raid-2-sequel-images-slice.jpg

Production has officially started on writer/director Gareth Evans’ The Raid 2 in Indonesia and we’ve got the first images from the sequel to share with you. Picking up where The Raid/The Raid: Redemption left off, Rama (Iko Uwais) leaves the high-rise behind in order to infiltrate a Jakarta crime syndicate with the intentions of protecting his family and unearthing the corruption within his police force. The sequel also stars Tio Pakusadewo, Putra Arifin Scheunamann, Julie Estelle, Alex Abbad and Roy Marten, and will shoot for the next 100-odd days. Check out Steve’s interview with Evans in which he talks about the sequel, then hit the jump to see the first official images and read the full press release for The Raid 2.

Check out the full press release following the first images from The Raid 2:

the-raid-sequel-600x398.jpeg
    the-raid-2-iko-uwais-398x600.jpeg
    the-raid-2-gareth-evans-600x398.jpeg
    the-raid-2-600x398.jpeg
    raid-2-sequel-600x398.jpeg
    raid-2-iko-uwais-600x398.jpeg

Highly-anticipated Actioner “The Raid 2” Starts Production in Jakarta, Indonesia

Los Angeles, CA (January 31, 2013) – PT Merantau Films and XYZ Films announce the start of production for THE RAID 2 (Indonesian title, THE RAID 2: BERANDAL), the sequel to the wildly popular international hit THE RAID (aka THE RAID: REDEMPTION). The film reunites writer/director Gareth Huw Evans with actor Iko Uwais, who will be reprising his starring role. Ario Sagantoro is producing for PT Merantau Films, along with Nate Bolotin, Nick Spicer, Aram Tertzakian and Todd Brown for XYZ Films. Executive producing are Rangga Maya Barack-Evans and Irwan D. Mussry.

In addition to Uwais, the international cast includes Tio Pakusadewo, Putra Arifin Scheunamann, Julie Estelle, Alex Abbad and Roy Marten. The film is currently lensing in Jakarta, Indonesia and is scheduled to shoot for over 100 days. Line producing the film is Daiwanne Ralie, with Matthew Flannery and Dimas Imam Subhono serving as directors of photography.

Picking up right where the first film ends, The Raid 2 follows Rama (Uwais) as he goes undercover and infiltrates the ranks of a ruthless Jakarta crime syndicate in order to protect his family and uncover the corruption in his own police force.

The Raid premiered at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival, where it took home the Audience Award in the Midnight Madness section. It went on to play at Sundance and SXSW, before enjoying a theatrical release in the United States through Sony Pictures Classics. The film is approaching $15M in global box office.

XYZ and PT Mereantau Films are also in post-production on KILLERS, which is co-directed by Timo Tjahjanto and Kimo Stamboel, with Gareth Huw Evans and Rangga Maya Barack-Evans executive producing . Evans and Tjahjanto recently collaborated on SAFE HAVEN, a celebrated segment in the horror anthology film S-VHS, which just premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival.

XYZ Films recently premiered Calvin Lee Reeder’s THE RAMBLER at Sundance as well.

“We’re incredibly excited to start the next chapter of The Raid story,” said XYZ Films. “Gareth introduced a rich and fertile world in the first film, and we’re eager to see him expand on that vision with Berandal.”

“To all our fans thank you so much for your support. We can’t wait to come back and show you what we have been working on,” said writer/director Gareth Evans. “We’ll be there in 2014 with a film bigger, better and bloodier! Wish us luck.”

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions (SPWA) acquired the film for the United States, Spain, Latin America and South Africa, and Sony Pictures Classics will once again release the film theatrically in the United States.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Seems like they've ditched the Die Hard type scenario for this one but it should be great if the last film was anything to go by.

The Raid I think was still film of the year even after Django and Skyfall.
    Can't wait for the second raid. The first one was sensational.
  • Agreed, first one was incredible. Well worth the wait.
  • And it had a positive Muslim character, god be praised.
    The Raid 2 teaser.

This is going to be awesome!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I wonder if I can rent The Raid here in Japan. It is most likely called something else. Can anybody post a picture of the dvd cover; sometimes they keep the same picture here ... I'm asking about the first film, please. Thanks if you can assist.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Gah, I can't wait. Not sure if it will be as great as the first - that'll be quite hard to top - but with the same people back on board, I'm sure it won't disappoint. Give me gory throat chopping for 90 minutes and I'm satisfied.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Having only recently watched the first film again, I'm ready for the punches, blows and shots of any sequel when done by the same team. Who cares about a Hollywood remake? Leave it to the folks of The Raid: Redemption to produce more material.
  • Looks just as tedious and inhumane as the first film.
  • Mendes should get Gareth Evans to direct Bond 24's action scenes. Actually Gareth Evans should direct Bond 25.
    Looks just as tedious and inhumane as the first film.

Monotone needn't always be a bad thing. Besides, The Raid built towards something. I can hardly consider it tedious myself. With every next level in the building, like in a video game, comes the realization of a bigger danger, a heavier fight, a bloodier challenge. It's what this genre is all about. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon may have been more stylish and polished, but in terms of content, both films deliver mostly the same goods, even if the former one was all about the wire fu and The Raid is just raw fighting.

Exactly! I just watched Donnie Yen's new film, Special ID. I was really looking forward to this but it was so disappointing beyond belief! I'm still in shock. Fortunately, the trailer for Raid 2 massacred away the disappointment and so I re-watched the first Raid movie again. The fights, brutality, violence, that's what its all about and this new movie looks to have upped the stakes in every department and that's saying something.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 157
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Looks just as tedious and inhumane as the first film.

Monotone needn't always be a bad thing.

Depends on what kind of monotony we're talking about. The Raid's monotonous nihilism, videogame plot and cardboard characters didn't appeal to me. Just a bunch of killing machines reclaiming a tenement from killing machines on meth. No sex, no humour, no brains. Cheap trash.
    @minorMajor9th, it's not for you, I get that. Films like this are in one of my favorite of genres, and I just can't get over how beautiful the choreography is. I've been a huge fan of Jackie Chan for years, and one of the reasons is just that: how they can string together such fast fights, yet make the entire thing look so realistic. Opinions will vary. Someone might think sci-fi is the best genre out there, and someone else could hate everything about it.
  • Now that's how you do a teaser. Looks fantastic, definitely one of my most anticipated films of next year.

The Raid is the best martial arts film I've ever seen and one of the best action films I've ever seen.
    @thelivingroyale, it was perfect: didn't show too much, didn't show too little, just eased into the characters, gave a few snippets of awesomely brutal action, and ended it.
    'The Raid 2' will officially hit US theaters on March 28th, 2014:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=112828
    Gooooooooood!
    I just hope it gets a wider release this time. I couldn't find the first one anywhere near me, so I had to settle for an online version with subtitles that looked like they were rung through the Google Translate system.
    Funnily enough I had been anticipating the first movie's release while it was in production and only managed to catch it on it's very last screening at the cinema. It was the best cinema experience I've ever had with an audience, which was surprisingly packed out.
    I have a feeling that The Raid can temporarily convert sceptics to the genre. Some folks I talked to told me that they don't like these fight films but The Raid impressed them.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I have a feeling that The Raid can temporarily convert sceptics to the genre. Some folks I talked to told me that they don't like these fight films but The Raid impressed them.

I was already a fan of the genre way before 'The Raid,' but this completely kicked it up a notch: brutal, gory, non-stop ass-kicking for the entire film, it felt. I can't wait for the sequel.
    I'm like you then, @Creasy47. My interest in this type of films has peaked since The Raid. I'm not even sure it will be shown in my local theatre. The owners have a tendency to make rather surprising choices in their programming. But I will keep my eyes open for it because I really want to watch the film.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm like you then, @Creasy47. My interest in this type of films has peaked since The Raid. I'm not even sure it will be shown in my local theatre. The owners have a tendency to make rather surprising choices in their programming. But I will keep my eyes open for it because I really want to watch the film.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have two theaters near me, and sometimes neither of them will even get a film I want to see, big or not, but other times, one of them will have a lower-budget indie film, so it varies. I'm hoping at least one of them gets it.