James Bond Podcast Discussion Thread

edited April 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 97
So, my podcast, James Bond Radio will be launching in the new year. We've got a ton of material we'll be covering from reviews of our favourite Bond movies, actors, books etc. We're making this podcast for you guys, so what would you like to see us cover? Any subject worthy of Bond banter is up for consideration!

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,727
    A discussion of the John Gardner Bond continuation novels would be great in my book.
  • Looking forward to it, chap. As far as suggestions go, you could discuss bond's sidearms and drinks, to Book reviews and games. The sky's the limit. :)
  • Great! Consider those added to the list. Keep the ideas coming guys. We want to make the podcast for you, so let us know what you want to hear :-)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I'd like a look at the Bond girls - mostly the main ones - discussing the differences between the character in the novel and the character in the film. And maybe the actress's opinions on her character. For the films that have new characters, not from a novel, just as much background info as we can get would be great. If time allows, then other Bond girls, too, such as Miranda Frost and Countess Lisl. Maybe a 2 part discussion; whatever format works.
    (I still think Bond "girls" not "women" but I do believe the word "women" moving onwards from 2013 will be used more and more.)
  • I'd like a look at the Bond girls - mostly the main ones - discussing the differences between the character in the novel and the character in the film. And maybe the actress's opinions on her character. For the films that have new characters, not from a novel, just as much background info as we can get would be great.

Great idea! That's going on the list too :-)

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    A look at the different eras (Connery, Moore, Dalton, etc) of the films. Compare and contrast them, look at what makes them each unique.
  • A look at the different eras (Connery, Moore, Dalton, etc) of the films. Compare and contrast them, look at what makes them each unique.

Great idea! A real compare and contrast between the different actors would be great. That's going on the list.

This is turning out great guys, thank you so much for your input.
  • Apart from the usual stuff like rumors and reviews and whatnot, a comparison of how the different movies developed and departed from the "Bond formula" would be cool, to show what movies really did hew closely to the formula, and which tried to do different things.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 170
    A ranking of the top Cars, gadgets and girls of 007.
  • Ohh man I can't wait for this podcast.
  • Apart from the usual stuff like rumors and reviews and whatnot, a comparison of how the different movies developed and departed from the "Bond formula" would be cool, to show what movies really did hew closely to the formula, and which tried to do different things.

That sounds like the making of a really interesting episode. Cool stuff! That's going on the list :-)
    A ranking of the top Cars, gadgets and girls of 007.

Ahhh yes, the Bond fans favourite hobby...the compiling of top 10 lists. Cool :-)
    Coldfinger wrote:
    Ohh man I can't wait for this podcast.

Same here! We can't wait to get cracking!

Do keep the ideas coming guys. This stuff is gold dust!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    How the plot of each film was inspired by real-world events.
  • QBranch wrote:
    How the plot of each film was inspired by real-world events.

That's a great one. Any particular examples you'd like us to cover?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Perhaps some of the earlier films. It would be interesting to see what exactly inspired Fleming to come up with the plots in his novels, and how they were updated for their corresponding films.
  • QBranch wrote:
    Perhaps some of the earlier films. It would be interesting to see what exactly inspired Fleming to come up with the plots in his novels, and how they were updated for their corresponding films.

Cool, sounds good! There's tons to talk about there. Goldfinger immediately springs to mind. In the book, he just wants to steal the gold. In the movie it's all about making it radioactive.
    How about a general exploration of the more obscure areas of the James Bond phenomenon - something that could be an exclusive to your website podcast. I'd certainly be listening out for that one!
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    How about a general exploration of the more obscure areas of the James Bond phenomenon - something that could be an exclusive to your website podcast. I'd certainly be listening out for that one!

Nice one. Anything suggestions? What would you deem obscure?
    Have a look at my blog and its upcoming topics - some of those are things that I deem obscure. I suppose the Bond comics, Bond on TV and the continuation novels are what I would deem as some of the more obscure areas of Bondology. I hope this is of some help to you @JamesBondRadio.
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    Have a look at my blog and its upcoming topics - some of those are things that I deem obscure. I suppose the Bond comics, Bond on TV and the continuation novels are what I would deem as some of the more obscure areas of Bondology. I hope this is of some help to you @JamesBondRadio.

Cool stuff. Thank you :-)
    Dragonpol wrote:

Cool stuff. Thank you :-)

My pleasure. I wish you every success with your podcast project - I hope all goes well with your launch.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 97
    Dragonpol wrote:
    My pleasure. I wish you every success with your podcast project - I hope all goes well with your launch.

Thanks David. We'll have to get you on an upcoming show to interview you about your blog.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Thanks David. We'll have to get you on an upcoming show to interview you about your blog.

I forgot to PM you, but certainly! Anything to help!
  • For anyone that's interested, I've put up a little page for the podcast here...

http://jamesbondradio.com

We'll let you know via the mailing list when we launch, which should be sometime in January, all going to plan :-)

Do keep the ideas flowing guys. We're making this podcast for you, so the more ideas and involvement we get from you guys, the better. If you have something interesting to talk about and you want to be a guest on the show, or if you have a good idea for subject matter, it's all welcome!
    For anyone that's interested, I've put up a little page for the podcast here...

http://jamesbondradio.com

We'll let you know via the mailing list when we launch, which should be sometime in January, all going to plan :-)

Do keep the ideas flowing guys. We're making this podcast for you, so the more ideas and involvement we get from you guys, the better. If you have something interesting to talk about and you want to be a guest on the show, or if you have a good idea for subject matter, it's all welcome!

Thanks for the links, @JamesBondRadio. I hope this thread is of some use to you and your friends. I think that CBn Forums used to have a podcast, though I never listened to it myself. I'll put my thinking cap on and get back to you with more ideas soon.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 97
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Thanks for the links, @JamesBondRadio. I hope this thread is of some use to you and your friends. I think that CBn Forums used to have a podcast, though I never listened to it myself. I'll put my thinking cap on and get back to you with more ideas soon.

Thanks David, you da man! Looks like our first episode will be recorded on December 30th, ready for a January release :-)
    I would like to here some Bond music, not only the original soundtracks but also alternate takes, covers, unused title themes.
  • 0013 wrote:
    I would like to here some Bond music, not only the original soundtracks but also alternate takes, covers, unused title themes.

Ahhh yeah, that's a great one! I love stumbling across alternate takes and Bond songs that never made the cut. Did you ever hear the first version of You Only Live Twice?

• Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    edited December 2013 Posts: 152
    Maybe its too hard to get actual Bonds in studio for a recording, but maybe interview some of the lesser known actors? Like Bibi Besch who played the young ice skater Bibi Bluff in FYEO, or even Richard Kiel (god bless the man, he's very old now), or Putter Smith.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Not News, moved to General Discussion.
  • Bradford4 wrote:
    Maybe its too hard to get actual Bonds in studio for a recording, but maybe interview some of the lesser known actors? Like Bibi Besch who played the young ice skater Bibi Bluff in FYEO, or even Richard Kiel (god bless the man, he's very old now), or Putter Smith.

That's definitely the plan in the long term. The first mission is to build a decent audience so we can attract some interviewees from the Bond world.

Any suggestions for immediate episodes?