Controversial opinions about anything

edited May 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 12,837
Since the Bond films thread has so many posts, I wondered what controversial opinions us Bond fans had about, well, anything else.

I'll start: I enjoyed Assassin's Creed 3 and I can't stand Adele (all her songs sound the same to me).

Comments

• edited December 2013 Posts: 3,236
    Can we make this controversial opinions on everything but race, sex, politics, and religion?

Considering the way most, if not all, discussions of them have gone, it would probably be wise to steer clear of them in a thread devoted to controversial opinions.
  • Can we make this controversial opinions on everything but race, sex, politics, and religion?

Considering the way most, if not all, discussions of them have gone, it would probably be wise to steer clear of them in a thread devoted to controversial opinions.

Good idea actually. I'd like this thread to last a while and it seems like every time any of the things you mention get bought up a massive argument breaks out and the thread ends up closed.
    I think Adele (Skyfall aside) is awful. Mediocre singer who's written two albums of the same, boring, "I'm not over you" trash. Only to get back with the guy she spent so much time bitching about. Rarely has there been someone so undeserving of a Grammy award. I remember that night I was fuming when Bon Iver lost twice to her and Foo Fighters didn't get Album of the Year. On top of that, her lyrics are TERRIBLE.

Neil Peart isn't the best drummer of all time. He's great, he's ONE OF the best, but there are many more who I would rank above him. In a similar vein, Ringo is, behind only John Bonham himself, the best drummer ever.

The Godfather, Part III is a bad Godfather film. It is a great film in its' own right.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @StirredNotShaken, I disagree on Peart, I feel that he is the best drummer of all time. Going off of that, I don't like 'The Beatles.' Take me out back and shoot me, but while I think some of their songs are okay or catchy, they don't do anything for me, and oddly enough, I've once been called 'un-American' for not liking a British band. Odd, that.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @StirredNotShaken, I disagree on Peart, I feel that he is the best drummer of all time. Going off of that, I don't like 'The Beatles.' Take me out back and shoot me, but while I think some of their songs are okay or catchy, they don't do anything for me, and oddly enough, I've once been called 'un-American' for not liking a British band. Odd, that.

I don't think The Beatles are the best thing ever, though I do think Rubber Soul, Revolver and Abbey Road are all top-class works of music; it's Ringo himself and his drum parts that I hold especially in such regard.

And that's really funny. "Un-American" for not liking The Beatles. Guess I must me un-Canadian for not liking tea or something. That's the funniest thing I've read all week.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @StirredNotShaken Completely agree on Adele. All her songs are essentially "I hate my ex!" and they all sound so dull and depressing.

Not sure about Bonham being the best drummer ever. I don't mind Led Zeppelin but I think my favourite drummer is either Ringo or Dave Grohl.

Also agree on The Godfather 3. Not a bad film by any means but a pretty disappointing conclusion to the trilogy.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Going off of that, I don't like 'The Beatles.'

• Creasy47 wrote:

This is a controversial opinions thread, not a blasphemous opinions thread ;). In all seriousness, it's pretty funny that they called you un-American for it.

On a similar note, I think "Imagine" is wildly overrated, as are "Kashmir," "American Pie," and "Don't Stop Believin'".
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,372
    @StirredNotShaken, it's quite the interesting insult, when you think about it. I was stunned when someone told me that.

@thelivingroyale, *shrugs shoulders* what can you do? I just don't care for them in the slightest. Same with U2, though I think that band is worse than The Beatles. I can stand some of The Beatles work, and some of it is relatively good, but U2? Ugh. Disgusting. I think I can also comfortably say that I hate roughly 99.99% of all country and rap music of today.
    I never really liked U2 much although there are a handful of songs from them that I enjoy (Bloody Sunday and Vertigo being my favourites). Bono always struck me as a bit of a twat though.
    Here's my view on U2: Early U2 (Bad through War), Achtung Baby, and comeback U2 (2000 - present) are great. However, The Joshua Tree is quite possibly the most overrated album of all time.

Would "Kubrick is the best director of all time" be controversial at least on here? I never really see his name get dropped. How about the same statement replacing Kubrick with Kurosawa?
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @StirredNotShaken, it's quite the interesting insult, when you think about it. I was stunned when someone told me that.

@thelivingroyale, *shrugs shoulders* what can you do? I just don't care for them in the slightest. Same with U2, though I think that band is worse than The Beatles. I can stand some of The Beatles work, and some of it is relatively good, but U2? Ugh. Disgusting. I think I can also comfortably say that I hate roughly 99.99% of all country and rap music of today.

I agree on the majority of modern rap, but there are a lot of classics if you go back to the '80s and '90s. I had never been a fan of hip-hop until I discovered that stuff.
    I quite like Eminem. Think that's controversial, at least on this site anyway.
    @StirredNotShaken, I doubt stating that either Kubrick or Kurosawa is the best would be controversial, they're both widely hailed as being some of the best.

@thelivingroyale, 'Vertigo' is such a bad song, I remember that horrendously long string of time when it appeared to be played on repeat on the radio. It was terrible.

@Soundofthesinners, I'm talking about modern country and rap. I love rap of the 80's/90's and I really do enjoy some old country from way back when. Today, though? I cannot stand either. Rap is just a bunch of words thrown in that might rhyme, they might not, that don't really make sense, with some generic beat thrown in. As for country, it's the same thing in every song, I feel: boots, mud, tractors, a girl, a beer, something. I really don't feel like that's a stereotype or anything, either, as everytime I hear a country song, something to that extent is involved. Compliments of living in WV for a lengthy period of my life.
  • I quite like Eminem. Think that's controversial, at least on this site anyway.

I enjoy Eminem and Kanye West's music. Kanye is a head case (as is Eminem to an extent), but he makes good music.

I just can't stand country music at all. All sounds like the same crap to me, sorry.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @thelivingroyale, 'Vertigo' is such a bad song, I remember that horrendously long string of time when it appeared to be played on repeat on the radio. It was terrible.

What exactly don't you like about it? I think it's a catchy, great, exciting rock song, full of energy and melody.

@Soundofthesinners Not a big fan of Kanye West. Don't think he's that good a rapper and he's an egotistical attention seeking prick in real life which really puts me off.
    I think Tupac Shakur was one of the greatest songwriters and poets of the 20th-century and, indeed, of all time.

I also think this (at around 1:15) is the greatest piece of editing in the history of film:

"How to Disappear Completely" by Radiohead is the greatest song ever put to tape.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, Eminem although largely lacks that UMPH!! he had in the late 90s early 2000s his song rap god is a testament to the genius of hip hop as an art form when done right. But as someone who grew up listening to hip hop music, the genre as a whole is absolute shyte. Had Biggie and PAC been alive today, rap music would be in a much better state.
    Oh here's one: Bob Dylan is terrible. The songwriting, the voice, the lyrics, the songs, the albums, the music. Terrible, all of it. The songwriting is, at its' best, mediocre.
    @thelivingroyale, I hate Kanye West as well. Everything about him disgusts me. As for 'Vertigo,' I just cannot stand it. I can't really pinpoint it, it just irritates me every time I hear it.

Here's a really random opinion - though I won't say it's controversial, but we'll see - but the worst commercial I've ever seen in my life is the new Honda commercials with Michael Bolton singing. Why him? Such a terrible idea. On the note of advertisements, I'm also sick of the Geiko commercials.
  • Maybe this isn't quite so controversial in retrospect, but I hated Slumdog Millionaire
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I don't get the fascination with the Dr. Who series at all; even more baffling is that so many yanks love it.
  • London Calling, Born to Run, and Master of Puppets are three of the greatest albums of all time.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,372
    Maybe this isn't quite so controversial in retrospect, but I hated Slumdog Millionaire

I agree, I couldn't stand the film and was surprised that it won Best Picture.

@doubleoego, neither do I.
    London Calling, Born to Run, and Master of Puppets are three of the greatest albums of all time.

Not sure how I feel about Master of Puppets, but yes to the other two; London Calling especially which I consider to be the best punk rock album ever.
    With regards to UK television? How about a lot more QUALITY drama's being made instead of crappy alleged realty shows with a phone line attached! Then we wouldn't have to import so many shows as good as they are! It really puts us to shame.
    The most recent being the cancellation of Ripper Street! :-q
  • London Calling, Born to Run, and Master of Puppets are three of the greatest albums of all time.

Not sure how I feel about Master of Puppets, but yes to the other two; London Calling especially which I consider to be the best punk rock album ever.

I don't know that London Calling has much competition. Never Mind the Bollocks, I suppose, and probably something by the Ramones, but it's head and shoulders above just about everything else.

If you don't mind my saying, I think it's kind of funny you like Springsteen and not Dylan, since he was essentially doing a Dylan impersonation on his first few albums (with some other guys, mostly Van Morrison, mixed in).
    Speaking of reality shows, is the UK plagued with them like America is? With all this 'Duck Dynasty' controversy, I was surprised to hear that that show is the highest-rated reality show of all time. Granted, no reality shows are good or worthy of watching, but how people watch that trash is beyond me.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    Speaking of reality shows, is the UK plagued with them like America is? With all this 'Duck Dynasty' controversy, I was surprised to hear that that show is the highest-rated reality show of all time. Granted, no reality shows are good or worthy of watching, but how people watch that trash is beyond me.

Guilty. I think reality tv is funny. It's not good, but I find it amusing (though i don't watch duck dynasty)
    I can't stand any of it. I'll sometimes catch my Mom watching 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' or whatever it's called and she'll fill me in on their lives, as if I care. She's sweet, so I listen, but how anyone can watch that sober is beyond me.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 3,236
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I can't stand any of it. I'll sometimes catch my Mom watching 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' or whatever it's called and she'll fill me in on their lives, as if I care. She's sweet, so I listen, but how anyone can watch that sober is beyond me.

I don't watch Duck Dynasty, but my cousins do and we watched an episode with them once. It's not nearly as bad as most reality shows, since they're not vapid, morally abhorrent morons.