Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Indy has become one of the most iconic cinematic characters of all time.

So is Max.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hKkYZ9GWzKA/Sxo10gtIUbI/AAAAAAAAEUg/JSROCu5qAMg/s1600/mad-max.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2009/12/mad-max-cafe-racer.html&h=477&w=385&sz=36&tbnid=X-gfAatFz2MlzM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=77&zoom=1&usg=__hptv7OLP4WOKpCVmSvMP-jPPoBY=&docid=K8zxn_rr5qXHHM&sa=X&ei=6tmpUujkKOag7Abp0oCYDA&ved=0CJMBEP4dMA4

One of the most iconic images in film history. Like you said, only time will tell how the new Mad Max film pans out so why don't we treat this the same way? For all we know the new guy could be brilliant (if they do recast it).

I'm sure there were cries of "leave Bond in the 60s!" after TMWTGG (which didn't make much money iirc and was a pretty crap film), and look how that turned out. I don't see the need for any more Indy films but at the same time I'm not going to write them off until I actually see them.
    All 4 Indiana Jones films are on the BBC over Christmas by the way...
    Indy has become one of the most iconic cinematic characters of all time.

So is Max.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hKkYZ9GWzKA/Sxo10gtIUbI/AAAAAAAAEUg/JSROCu5qAMg/s1600/mad-max.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2009/12/mad-max-cafe-racer.html&h=477&w=385&sz=36&tbnid=X-gfAatFz2MlzM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=77&zoom=1&usg=__hptv7OLP4WOKpCVmSvMP-jPPoBY=&docid=K8zxn_rr5qXHHM&sa=X&ei=6tmpUujkKOag7Abp0oCYDA&ved=0CJMBEP4dMA4

One of the most iconic images in film history. Like you said, only time will tell how the new Mad Max film pans out so why don't we treat this the same way? For all we know the new guy could be brilliant (if they do recast it).

I'm sure there were cries of "leave Bond in the 60s!" after TMWTGG (which didn't make much money iirc and was a pretty crap film), and look how that turned out. I don't see the need for any more Indy films but at the same time I'm not going to write them off until I actually see them.

No I'm sorry to have to disagree but Max is no anywhere near as iconic as Indy or Bond for that matter. He's still a cult figure. Always will be.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Zorin61 wrote:
    All 4 Indiana Jones films are on the BBC over Christmas by the way...

With how often Amazon drops the four-film Collector's Edition in price on DVD/blu-ray, I'm surprised that anyone who is a fan has yet to pick it up. It's worth every penny. They also have separate versions of the blu-rays (not sure about the DVD's) re-releasing soon that come with digital copies you can watch on your computer, phone, etc.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 9,766
    I have 3 out of the 4... I still need Temple of Doom...Yup I own Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but don't have Temple of doom

And I only have Staff of Kings for the wii tempted to see if I can get the ps2 version off of Amazin
    Risico007 wrote:
    I have 3 out of the 4... I still need Temple of Doom...Yup I own Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but don't have Temple of doom

And I only have Staff of Kings for the wii tempted to see if I can get the ps2 version off of Amazin

How did you manage to bypass 'Temple of Doom' and nab KOTCS at the same time? Tsk tsk, @Risico007...

Speaking of Indy, did anyone here play 'Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb' on the first Xbox? Such an amazing game, the bit where you had to swim from one side to the other and avoid the crocodile always scared the hell out of me when I was younger. They also planned a 360 Indy game, complete with Euphoria, but they scrapped it, sadly. Didn't they just turn it into some Wii game or something?

Creasy47 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:

How did you manage to bypass 'Temple of Doom' and nab KOTCS at the same time? Tsk tsk, @Risico007...

Speaking of Indy, did anyone here play 'Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb' on the first Xbox? Such an amazing game, the bit where you had to swim from one side to the other and avoid the crocodile always scared the hell out of me when I was younger. They also planned a 360 Indy game, complete with Euphoria, but they scrapped it, sadly. Didn't they just turn it into some Wii game or something?

Staff of Kings was that game...

I know I am annoyed too....

Ironically My Masters thesis was on the Ark of The Covenant and I would listen to a lot of the Indiana Jones music when I would be working on my thesis.
    I wonder why they scrapped the 360 idea and just put it on the Wii, then. It looked like it was going to be really fun.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i remember that, and it still irks me to this day that they never released the game for 360... i've been wanting a new Indiana Jones since Emperor's Tomb - one not of the Lego variety.. which don't get wrong, they are fun - but i want something that is more realistic... and now with the most recent games like Uncharted and the Tomb Raider reboot - I want one even more... and picturing what one would like on PS4 and XB1 makes me salivate lol...

... but who knows, now that Disney has assumed control over the Indiana Jones franchise, maybe they'll license the property out for development into a gaming franchise - much like they did with Star Wars.... just imagine what SquareEnix or Ubisoft could do with an Indiana Jones game?.... ohh the possibilities....
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,447
    Nice to see other 'Emperor's Tomb' fans. I loved that game. Hell, I would be happy if they just gave us an HD remake of it or something, it was incredibly fun.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this was posted, and though it also talks about 'Star Wars,' the article says that a new 'Indiana Jones' film is roughly two to three years away, yet they have no story for it:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=112487
    Admittedly this was in the SUN newspaper, but they are suggesting no Harrison Ford. But a younger actor to play Indy? They are linking Matt Damon and Colin Farrell to the role.

It all sounds very unsettling to me, I guess in a way like when Connery stepped down after YOLT. Kind of relate to the people who remember that period in the early Bond years. I must say though that I wouldn't mind Farrell! Out of the two actors mentioned I think he could do the humour better than Damon in the part?
    Ewan McGregor would make an excellent Indy. Would have liked to have seen him as Bond.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Some people will accept any old shit to see a favourite character on the screen again, Raiders is a masterpiece and Temple & Crusade were very entertaining. Crystal Skull was full stop junk and no it wasn't anywhere the same as the previous trilogy and no we don't hate on it because it was Lucas, we hate on it because it was atrocious and anyway Spielberg is just a guilty signing off and agreeing to direct such rubbish.

I've warmed to the Star Wars continuation but Indy is a different case and an obvious reboot is on the cards, Indy isn't like Bond and can be changed to a different actor, it will always be Ford and no actor will inhabit that role better and no it's not like replacing Connery at all before someone bright spark says that.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Shardlake wrote:
    Raiders is a masterpiece and Temple & Crusade were very entertaining. Crystal Skull was full stop junk
    Raiders: Put the most actively significant historical find EVER in a BOX & store it indefinitely??? REALLY?
    Temple: Hearts torn from living peeps, yet they still live to suffer incineration? "I understand its power now." In light of his subsequent disbelief in mysticism in Raiders? Tosh.
    Crusade: A French Knight speaking perfect English after centuries of staring at walls unable to use his (presumably) second language? Please.

And all this under the watchful eye/tolerance of GOD?????

Sorry, the fridge nuking or stupid monkey s**t in Crystal Skull doesn't seem so terrible to me.

I like all the Indy movies. :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I didn't hate crystal skull, but I hated the casting of Shia Lebouf. Of all the actors they could have picked for Indy's son... ugh. I also didn't like the Mac character. Granted it's the 2000's but for an Indiana Jones movie...it had way WAY too much CGI. but at least that temple at the end of the movie was an actual full functional set.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,687
    Murdock wrote:
    I didn't hate crystal skull, but I hated the casting of Shia Lebouf.
    Yeah, that was the worst aspect of the movie IMO, and why I rate it #4 in the series for me. But I still like it a lot.
    KOTCS is definitely #4 for me, as well, but there is still a whole lot I enjoy...excluding Shia, nice to see you two gentlemen have some great taste in that department, as well. He was a horrible addition to the cast.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    He was a horrible addition to the cast.
    It was a studio thing I think- he was kinda hot from Transformers... :-?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    He was a horrible addition to the cast.
    It was a studio thing I think- he was kinda hot from Transformers... :-?

My thoughts exactly. He started getting "big" so it was no surprise really to see him cast in the film.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2013 Posts: 4,399
    Murdock wrote:
    Granted it's the 2000's but for an Indiana Jones movie...it had way WAY too much CGI.

there was actually less CGI than you might actually think... take a look at the behind the scenes on it... granted, they used it in some areas where they didn't need to (alien), but they didn't rely on it as much as you think they did.... the big difference is between when Crystal Skull and the first 3 films were filmed, technology advanced to a degree where they were able to use better green/blue screen techniques... not to say that even in those scenes they didn't use CGI, but it was generally used to clean up / mask out areas / blend shots together or even blend 2 different modeled shots together...
  • I'll agree they didn't use as much CGI as, say, the Prequel Trilogy, but you have to admit there were many parts of Crystal Skull that practically looked like a cartoon!

indiana-jones-and-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull_134599-fli_1368470989.jpg
    Crystal+Skulls.jpg
    indy-skulls-08.JPG

This is one reason that I'm not fully against a Disney-run Indy movie. Not that they don't use CGI, but they are smarter about it than George
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    chrisisall wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Raiders is a masterpiece and Temple & Crusade were very entertaining. Crystal Skull was full stop junk
    Raiders: Put the most actively significant historical find EVER in a BOX & store it indefinitely??? REALLY?
    Temple: Hearts torn from living peeps, yet they still live to suffer incineration? "I understand its power now." In light of his subsequent disbelief in mysticism in Raiders? Tosh.
    Crusade: A French Knight speaking perfect English after centuries of staring at walls unable to use his (presumably) second language? Please.

And all this under the watchful eye/tolerance of GOD?????

Sorry, the fridge nuking or stupid monkey s**t in Crystal Skull doesn't seem so terrible to me.

I like all the Indy movies. :))

The difference was those films were done will style and charm, I'm not really watching these films for plausibility and reality I'm watching them to be entertained but Crystal Skull was an insult to the series.

You are clutching at straws my friend trying to defend such tosh but some of you'll tolerate tosh like Die Another Day as it's a Bond film so why am I surprised.
    @Shardlake, what? I'm a Bond fan, of course I'll see the good in even the worst of some Bond films. Why else am I here? To show and appreciate my love of Bond with fellow fans. I won't be the one to take this completely off discussion, but you're telling me there's not a single, solitary moment in DAD that you don't appreciate? Not one instance or kill or sequence or line or anything?
    I'll agree they didn't use as much CGI as, say, the Prequel Trilogy, but you have to admit there were many parts of Crystal Skull that practically looked like a cartoon!

oh i agree.. a lot of the stuff they used CGI on, was not needed at all.... the prairie dogs were dumb... the tarzan swings with the monkeys was completely pointless... and the alien could've been made practically as well... all those were instances where the CGI was abused for no real purpose..

but i commend them on not cheaping out - and actually using miniatures with the Nuke Town getting obliterated.. that was fantastic looking.
    Shardlake wrote:
    The difference was those films were done will style and charm, I'm not really watching these films for plausibility and reality I'm watching them to be entertained but Crystal Skull was an insult to the series.

It's possible you are too young to remember, but not too long ago it was Temple Of Doom that had the dubious distinction of being 'the insult to the series'. Now it's Crystal Skull. Next it will be.... whatever comes next, and Crystal Skull will join Temple Of Doom as a real Indy movie. :))
  • Haha, I actually prefer Crystal Skull to Temple of Doom, that ones far worse imo.
  • Temple of Doom is half a good movie. It's really annoying and stupid until they actually get to the Temple- then it's great
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I was always a big Temple fan. I love the fantasy, the mine car chase and the setting. But most of all, I think this film has the best John Williams has ever composed for film. Such amazing themes in this score. For that reason alone, I could continue watching the film endlessly.
    "Let's get out of here. All of us."
    Still love it!!!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I was always a big Temple fan. I love the fantasy, the mine car chase and the setting. But most of all, I think this film has the best John Williams has ever composed for film. Such amazing themes in this score. For that reason alone, I could continue watching the film endlessly.

Temple of Doom is my favorite Indiana Jones movie! I don't know why people hate it so much. :(