Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

Terminator rebooted is even worse than the new so-called "RoboCop" movie. What's next? Casablanca, The Graduate, The Godfather, rebooted?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    chrisisall wrote:
    Y'know, I heard all those rumors of Salvation being the first part of a trilogy, but I honestly felt that it was pretty stand-alone. It didn't feel like it ended on a cliffhanger, like others have said.
    I read an account of the original 'surprise' ending before it was outed, and subsequently changed to what it finally became. It would have been a cliffhanger of sorts, and it would have sucked big time IMO. As is, the movie works well for me as a stand alone tale.

You mean that ending where Conner died and Marcus lived? That just sounded like some sort of crappy way to add a cliffhanger. The novelization of the film (apparently, I've never read it, though I'd like to some day) also implies that the little girl is a Terminator.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'd like to see a Lost In Space reboot featuring the same basic hardware & wardrobe design, AND THE EXACT ROBOT FROM THE SERIES.
    Other than that, no more are required IMO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well, I wouldn't compare 'The Terminator' to films like 'Casablanca' and 'The Godfather.' But, I will say that it's a film that absolutely doesn't warrant a remake/reboot at all.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm going to assume I'm one of the six people on the planet who liked the Lost in Space movie from '97?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Well, I wouldn't compare 'The Terminator' to films like 'Casablanca' and 'The Godfather.' But, I will say that it's a film that absolutely doesn't warrant a remake/reboot at all.

You are right, but I perhaps meant in terms of classic portrayals. Those two just jumped to my head.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,687
    I'm going to assume I'm one of the six people on the planet who liked the Lost in Space movie from '97?

I saw it twice in two days back then, and I own the DVD, but it's because of Dick Tufeld & the original series actor's cameos, mostly.
    chrisisall wrote:

I saw it twice in two days back then, and I own the DVD, but it's because of Dick Tufeld & the original series actor's cameos, mostly.

I happen to like Gary Oldman and Lennie James in their roles.
    Oldman automatically makes anything he's in better.
    chrisisall wrote:

It won't help RoboCop. Oldman, Michael Keaton and Samuel L. Jackson just cannot help that film. They could toss Peter Weller in there as a cameo, it still wouldn't help it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:

Only one exception, @chrisisall. Dead Fish is a terrible film and Oldman isn't exactly good in it either. At least IMO.
    Now, Air Force One was great because of him, and Jim Gordon was one of my favorite characters in the Dark Knight Trilogy, but I couldn't stand Filth Element (Fifth Element, oops...).
    You see him in True Romance?? Wow.
    Never saw Dead Fish; love him in Fifth Element.
    Now, Air Force One was great because of him, and Jim Gordon was one of my favorite characters in the Dark Knight Trilogy, but I couldn't stand Filth Element (Fifth Element, oops...).

"GET OFF MY PLANE!!!"

Best. Line. Ever.

"GET OFF MY PLANE!!!"

Best. Line. Ever.

The very reason I want to own a plane, as a matter of fact.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Emilia Clarke has been confirmed as playing Sarah Connor in the new 'Terminator' reboot:

http://bit.ly/1bCLqk5
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    The non-reboot will have links to the first two films.

Schwarzenegger says:

"We start filming in April and it will be a four-and-a-half month long shoot. Most of it will be done in New Orleans, with some filming in San Francisco and maybe a little in LA. The last Terminator was when I was Governor and so I couldn't be in that movie, but now I'm back again and they are very excited about having me in the film. [Producer] David Ellison has plenty of money to do it well, in partnership with Paramount Pictures who are going to release the movie through their distribution. It's going to come out on the July 4th weekend in 2015. The preparation is going well and the script is fantastic, so I'm really looking forward to it!"

First things first; I haven’t read the script (though know some that have), I don’t know Arnold Schwarzenegger (but once met the CEO of a protein powder factory that had) and haven’t been given this information by an official source on the production (not that I’d rat them out if I had), but the person that has supplied me with the following info on “Terminator : Genesis” is a really reputable source – they’ve given us a couple of scoops in the past, both of which turned out to be true. They’re also in the position – stress the word ‘position’ – to know; as such, all this is likely one-hundred percent on-the-money.

So let’s look at what we know about the new “Terminator” movie – now officially called “Terminator Genesis” (I’ve had that confirmed, too) – which is about to get underway in Atlanta and New Orleans. : It’s cue out in 2015. It’s going out through Paramount. Alan Taylor, of “Thor : The Dark World”, is directing. Arnold Schwarzenegger is starring, reprising his ‘Terminator’ role, alongside Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor, Jason Clarke as John Connor, and Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese. And though it’s not a remake, nor will it brush over the events of the previous movies, the film is described as a fresh ‘reboot – just like JJ Abrams’ “Star Trek” (2009) was, with Schwarzenegger’s title character the connecting tissue, in the way Leonard Nimoy’s ‘Old Spock’ reprise was to that movie.

Our source, however, says a better comparison title – than Abrams’ “Star Trek” – is “Back to the Future Part II”. By that, he/she means that while “Genesis” encompasses an original plot, it also – like “Back to the Future Part II”, which saw Marty and Doc having to revisit the events of 1955 again for the film’s last quarter – returns to and revisits some of the most memorable moments from the first two “Terminator” movies.

The writers have apparently found a brilliant way of playing tribute to the two greatest films in the “Terminator” series, while introducing us to a new scenario, and even new characters (there’s a couple that the torch may be passed to for future instalments), that enables the franchise to press restart on itself with no complaints.

Thanks to that ever-dependable alternate timeline device, and time-travel (which has always been a part of the series), Taylor’s film will take us back and forward between the future, 1984 (“The Terminator”), 1991 (“Terminator 2 : Judgement Day”) and other important and influential time periods in the life of the Connor family.

Firstly, we will indeed be revisiting the events of the original 1984 film again. The ‘Terminator’ from the future will arrive on earth, attack some punks (keen to see who they get to play ‘Bill Paxton’), and then slaughter his way through a bunch of Sarah Connors’ – until he finds the correct target. And all the characters that appeared in the Cameron original, like Detective Hal Vukovich (played by Lance Henriksen in the original), Lieutenant Ed Traxler (played by Paul Winfield way back when), Sarah’s roomie Ginger (Bess Motta in the ’84 film) and, yep, even Pugsley the Iguana, return. So, yep, we’ll likely get to see Schwarzenegger back in the leather jacket and cool sunglasses he wore in the original. And, of course, Kyle Reese (Courtney) volunteers to go back to 1984 and save Sarah – just as he did first time around. But don’t expect everything to work out like it did in the original.. something is going to play out different.

And then, we’ll also be taken back to the events of the sequel. The scene where the T-1000 (played by Robert Patrick in “Terminator 2 : Judgement Day”), posing as a cop, visiting John Connor’s home, where he meets – and consequently kills – foster parents Todd (Xander Berkeley) and Janelle (Jenette Goldstein), is in there. As are several other key moments.

And then we’ll be going back to moments we haven’t seen on film before – such as scenes with young Sarah and her parents.

Obviously, revisiting these events is intentional. As is usually the case with a film using the alternate timeline device, obviously something hasn’t gone right (maybe the Terminator succeeds in killing Sarah this time, around? I don’t know – just guessing) or something that happened in the past has greatly changed the future, meaning Connor’s resistance crew from the future have to ‘go back’ again. I’m not privy to all the why and how – just the when’s at the moment.

I’m still unsure how they’ll explain Schwarzenegger’s ‘older’ look (or maybe they won’t?) but one thing I’m pretty certain is, this will play super fresh and regenerate the series – thus the two sequels the filmmakers already have planned. Having only been told a miniscule amount about it, “Terminator : Genesis” sounds magnificent. This could quite possibly be the film of 2015.

http://moviehole.net/201473984exclusive-more-original-characters-returning-for-new-terminator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    But don’t expect everything to work out like it did in the original.. something is going to play out different.
    I'm calling it now: Reese lives
    Sarah Connor dies in childbirth, that's my guess.
    Reese living would be awesome.... but considering how downright luck Sarah was I wouldn't be surprised if Terminator Genesis explains some of the downright luck the Connors have had.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 4,813
    It would be cool if they showed a timeline where Arnold kills Sarah and Reese in 1984, and how catastrophic it is.
    Risico007 wrote:
    Reese living would be awesome.... but considering how downright luck Sarah was I wouldn't be surprised if Terminator Genesis explains some of the downright luck the Connors have had.
    Possibly a result from some time traveling shenanigans before 1984? Could be interesting

• Arnie's Terminator is capable of having sex....and goes back to Sarah's mother's house and knocks her up. So Arnie is Sarah's dad....

I want to see more of Bale's terminator world. They had great scope for another two movies....

They are going to ruin another classic by going back in time....leave it alone....
  • Terminator 2 is the best film of the series and they're giving the middle finger to that by doing all this. They did it with T3 and T4 already. So far, only The Sarah Connor Chronicles has respected that film.

The studio wanted Justin Lin for this project. As you may know, Justin Lin is a purist and loyalist to fans because he sees things from their perspective a lot. But the studio did something which made Lin's lunch with James Cameron and Arnold futile by wanting a reboot instead of a connection to both draw old fans and bring in new ones with his ideas. Plus, Justin Lin hates CGI and only uses a green screen when a stuntman's life is at utmost risk.

Anyway, the studio has it wrong. Best you can do is maybe withhold your money from paying to watch this film. The next TMNT has Michael Bay's stamp on it, as we know, sadly. These studios have got it all wrong.
    Isn't lin doing Bourne 5?
  • Risico007 wrote:
    Isn't lin doing Bourne 5?
    That's right. If the original Jason Bourne can't come back, let's hope this next movie is more of a groundbreaker like Bourne 1-3 to give Bond a nice competitor. But as far as Terminator goes, let's hope Arnold doesn't just play a scientist but gets in on the action. They might as well give this series to Platinum DuDunes...
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Lucas has said going back to '77 it was a nine or twelve film story and later confirmed nine with each trilogy focusing on a generation of the Skywaler's, so I suppose it's only right we get his ending - thankfully not written by him.

That's a really stupid thought. He planned a nine-parts story back in the '77, but he then re-elaborated it as a six-parts story; doing the original plan now would be ridicolous.

Anyway, the new Star Wars movies are just cash-cows.
    Well, what he did with I - III, will hardly affect VII - IX, so I see no problem with it.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Well, what he did with I - III, will hardly affect VII - IX, so I see no problem with it.
    Yes, but, for example, in the nine-parts story, the Emperor was not met until Episode IX.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    That's fair enough, so he's changed it then and hopefully a long time ago, so this whole story flows well. If not, the results will speak for themselves.
    Walecs wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Yes, but, for example, in the nine-parts story, the Emperor was not met until Episode IX.

Leia also wasn't Luke's sister, the Death Star didn't appear until the last two films (introduced in the eight, destroyed in the ninth), Han Solo was a green-skinned alien... on and on and on and on and on. I was happy with the six-part Star Wars Saga, and I can only hope that these next three don't suck, though I have no hope for the individual character films. Oh, and Abrams, no lens flares unless absolutely necessary. The Prequel Trilogy had the adequate amount of lens flares, that's all we need now.