Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• edited December 2013 Posts: 2,015
    To just knock up another 'adventurer' film without Harrison and call it Indiana Jones would be fraught with risk.
    And call it Basil Exposition and the risks are even higher. Popular licenses are highly valuable, they can convert average scripts into moneymaking schemes. Spielberg even said he feared the future of Hollywood would be made only of licenses, and novelty would be mostly on TV.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I love Ford and I love Indy and Ford will always be Indy BUT! I'm a realist and instead of being blinded by nostalgia or some deep rooted hatred for the prospect of potential recasting of the role, for me it's far more conducive to accept the inevitable eventuality of said role being cast as I'd like to see more Indy movies and if it means bringing in someone else then so be it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Risico007 wrote:
    But what would be the huge quest what would Indy honestly go after?

Putting aside Harrison ford is to old or no one can replace him.

I ask everyone on this thread what would be the quest? What would he look for?

Sure he can be replaced. Jackman could be Indiana Jones. Set it in the 1940s, and have him look for Atlantis or whatever.

Harry maybe too old but hey give me an old school Indy adventure with no young sidekick, just let the old guy do his thing and that would be a nice end to the series!
  • oo7oo7
    could see indy return to marvel comics then?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    harrison ford is 71 years young! i'm sure he can play Indy for another 10 years or so :P
  • perhaps this time Eon will have the foresight not to release a Bond film on the same day
    He can do the fatherly part like Sean Connery did for him perhaps?
  • I'm not as afraid of this as some of you seem to be, I actually quite liked KotCS, yes I know. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me quite a bit. I think Harrison can still pull off Indy for a few more rounds.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Here's a nice rumour from October that states Indy 5 is coming in 2016:

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=14102

If it happens, please make a good film and let this series end on a high.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Samuel001 wrote:

I liked KOTCS, and see no need for another, but God bless 'em if they give us one! Umm, but... does Shia have to be in it? :-??
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sure they could do much, much better than KOTCS. Do one more, sans Shia, and send it out on a good note.
    Indiana Jones in 2016... ok I will go and see it.
    I once read a few years back on some website that a concept for an Indiana Jones 5 release was to feature Indy searching for Jesus' cross that he was crucified on- his enemies were going to be the Chinese, I believe, who were also searching for the cross because their ruler believed it held special powers to use in battle, like the Nazis thought about the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
    00Beast wrote:
    I once read a few years back on some website that a concept for an Indiana Jones 5 release was to feature Indy searching for Jesus' cross that he was crucified on- his enemies were going to be the Chinese, I believe, who were also searching for the cross because their ruler believed it held special powers to use in battle, like the Nazis thought about the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

that would be kind of cool.

Eh, he should search for Atlantis. Cool scuba action. Under the ocean hidden civilisation. Explosive ending- the works.
  • RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote:
    Eh, he should search for Atlantis. Cool scuba action. Under the ocean hidden civilisation. Explosive ending- the works.

Count me in.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Spielberg had gone on record as to say that he wants to put the series back on track, after realizing the disappointment fans felt with Crystal Skull - he doesn't want the series to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth... it seems fashionable to want to slam Spielberg and call him a hack director nowadays - but i don't believe his direction was the problem in Crystal Skull... it was other factors... his last two non-Indy flicks (War Horse and Lincoln) were spectacular..

What we might be able to look forward to now that Disney has assumed control over the franchise, is the possibility of bringing in a new writer or two who can craft a solid story - and not cram it full of watered down humor, rehashed lines of dialog, nostalgia, and everything else that weighted down Crystal Skull - yes, that also includes George Lucas.... much like with the new Star Wars film being made, let the man just sit back and produce, and let someone else write..
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 23,449
    Recasting the adult Indy wouldn't be so easy a feat as recasting Bond or Sherlock Holmes. The latter two were lifted from the pages of a book. They were ultimately created by a writer and I don't mean to understate the input of the more famous and successful actors playing them.

Indy, however, was formed, shaped and introduced by Ford. I'm not saying it's impossible to find another actor for the part - in film, nothing is impossible. But I truly believe that this is in the same zone as the recasting of Ellen Ripley, the T-800, Rick Blaine and Norman Bates. It is very difficult, and in some of these cases, they have already tried. And failed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Like I've said before, Ford is already 71 years old, and by the time a new film possibly gets going, he'll be in his mid-70's, he's really not going to have much to contribute in terms of the action and stunt department. But, if they want one last film with him, they have to get to work on it sooner rather than later.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 6,396
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Recasting the adult Indy wouldn't be so easy a feat as recasting Bond or Sherlock Holmes. The latter two were lifted from the pages of a book. They were ultimately created by a writer and I don't mean to understate the input of the more famous and successful actors playing them.

Indy, however, was formed, shaped and introduced by Ford. I'm not saying it's impossible to find another actor for the part - in film, nothing is impossible. But I truly believe that this is in the same zone as the recasting of Ellen Ripley, the T-800, Rick Blaine and Norman Bates. It is very difficult, and in some of these cases, they have already tried. And failed.

Absolutely spot on. I know some on here don't see re-castins as an issue as Tom Hardy has been cast in the new Mad Max film, and only time will tell how that pans out, but with all due respect, you just cannot even begin to compare Max with Indiana Jones. Raiders captured the zeitgeist and, mainly thanks to Ford, Indy has become one of the most iconic cinematic characters of all time.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    It is very difficult, and in some of these cases, they have already tried. And failed.

Get Nathan Fillion. He's done the impossible before. :)>-
    Samuel001 wrote:

That would be excellent if true? Disney will probably make another trilogy I would imagine? All depends on what they decide to do casting wise? :-?
  • Really? Did you not see how terrible the last film was? Ford's now in his seventies for goodness sake. What's the title gonna be, Indiana Jones & The Quest For The Toilet At Three O' Clock In The Morning?
    And don't forget its sequel, Indiana Jones and the Search for the Golden Crutches and its direct follow-up, Indiana Jones and The-Are We Still Doing This Crap? I predict a modest yet passable box office performance.
    People keep talking as if Harrison Ford can't STILL kick all of our asses...... :P

But to be fair I agree it's too late for an Indy movie with just Harrison. I had a great idea a few years ago (around when Crystal Skull came out) that involved a new actor as Indy in the 1930's and a 'unresolved adventure' that haunted him for years to come- it would later be solved by Harrison as Indy in the 1960's. Perhaps it could start in the 60's and cut back and forth as the plot developed (sort of like they do on 'Arrow').
    I figure if audiences liked the younger actor he could carry on the series, and if he wasn't very well received then that should be the final film, period.
    I tossed this idea around before- it may have even been on this forum- and people seemed to like it
    It appears my idea is the way to go after all!

http://badassdigest.com/2013/12/10/this-is-how-you-make-indiana-jones-5/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_117397
    How about an Indy - Lara Croft crossover? They could build toward The Adventures Initiative. For that, we also need a new Phileas Fogg, Captain Nemo and Swiss Family Robinson.

Nevermind... :|
    Bring it on! I love the Indy franchise, a close second to Bond, even Crystal Skull which IMO is grossly underrated. Would love to see a Young Indy film with Ford bookending it ie looking back on his youth etc. Then we could see Indy fight his classic nemeses again, the Nazis. The equilavent of Bond v Spectre. As long as Shia la beef isnt involved or George Lucas I will be quite happy.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Really? Did you not see how terrible the last film was? Ford's now in his seventies for goodness sake. What's the title gonna be, Indiana Jones & The Quest For The Toilet At Three O' Clock In The Morning?
    And don't forget its sequel, Indiana Jones and the Search for the Golden Crutches and its direct follow-up, Indiana Jones and The-Are We Still Doing This Crap? I predict a modest yet passable box office performance.
    People keep talking as if Harrison Ford can't STILL kick all of our asses...... :P

But to be fair I agree it's too late for an Indy movie with just Harrison. I had a great idea a few years ago (around when Crystal Skull came out) that involved a new actor as Indy in the 1930's and a 'unresolved adventure' that haunted him for years to come- it would later be solved by Harrison as Indy in the 1960's. Perhaps it could start in the 60's and cut back and forth as the plot developed (sort of like they do on 'Arrow').
    I figure if audiences liked the younger actor he could carry on the series, and if he wasn't very well received then that should be the final film, period.
    I tossed this idea around before- it may have even been on this forum- and people seemed to like it
    It appears my idea is the way to go after all!

http://badassdigest.com/2013/12/10/this-is-how-you-make-indiana-jones-5/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_117397

That's slightly better than having Harrison sat in a chair telling a tale in flashback but I'm still not at all sure. If Harrison can't get properly involved in any of the action I'd sooner just go for a total recast.

Certainly a recast appeals more than Harrison with a Zimmer frame and LaBoeuf doing all the action.
    People are hungry for product, not necessarily for quality. Skull's huge BO profits perfectly demonstrates this, methinks. They'll swallow anything Indiana Jones, be it old man Ford donning the Fedora one more time, or a LaBoeuf 'update' of the series. They simply can't leave this series behind in the 80s, where it belongs.

Many folks blame Lucas for destroying Star Wars with the prequels, but Lucas didn't pay for all those admissions. It's because we are so easily suckered into spending money against our better judgement that filmmakers like he can triumph indefinitely after one big hit. It will happen again in two years when Abrams releases Episode VII. I know for sure that I'll be there to watch the film opening night. I can be suckered into spending money on such affairs very easily too.

It happens all the time. Terminator is another great example. I'm surprised there's been no talk about a fourth Matrix film but then perhaps The Wachowskis are a lot smarter than many give them credit.

When Scott did Prometheus, there were complaints about it being so different from Alien. Again, the point is made valid by the same people who complain. They want a certain type of product and never mind its quality. Give them a few aliens and a couple of facehuggers and they'll praise it, no matter what the quality of the story, the acting, the production design, ... is.
    That reminds me, Blade Runner 2: Deckard's Revenge starring Ford, Young & Olmos in 2017. That will rock!

You have to know I'm kidding here.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    People are hungry for product, not necessarily for quality. Skull's huge BO profits perfectly demonstrates this, methinks. They'll swallow anything Indiana Jones, be it old man Ford donning the Fedora one more time, or a LaBoeuf 'update' of the series. They simply can't leave this series behind in the 80s, where it belongs.

I feel I need to discuss this based on 2 franchise I love that in spite of more then a few efforts to resurrect they haven't moved

MacGyver

and

Highlander

Both characters I love both stories I feel have more chapters to them.

Now does this mean I want some parody of either story making fun of my favorite character

No

Do I want some slick action film that barely resembles the source material

No

Do I want a quality well done film (and video game) in the style of the original source material while bringing something new to the franchise as a whole

YES.