Eulogy to old MI6

TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
edited March 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 158
We are gathered here today to welcome a new entity into this world. While I am sure that MI6 Community will prosper, we must not forget the legacy that has just ended. MI6 Forums passed suddenly tonight at the ripe age of 8 years old. During her time, she has overseen 3 Bond films, 2 franchise comas, and thousands of new friendships born. She witnessed the fan creators rise and fall. She has witnessed a legion of fans rise and defend their new actor from outside forces. She has witnessed the biggest reception of a James Bond film since the golden Connery years. And while we have fought, it's true. We squabbled and cursed a few. But through it all, MI6 brought us together through one common bond. And it is this common bond that will bring us into this new world.

Feel free to stop by, shed a tear, and remember good days long gone.

Comments

• SirHilaryBrayOBESirHilaryBrayOBE Chez Hilly, Portsmouth
    Goodbye old girl, thanks for it all and...well, you know.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Goodbye to all those moony stories :-))
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 70
    Like I said on facebook. I feel like it's 476 and I'm standing in the middle of Rome.
    RIP old-mi6forums.

You truly were an amazing place no doubt. A true aid in furthering my skills to procrastinate. It was a sudden death no doubt and a pity we weren't forwarned about your tragic passing.

We remember you in all your SPAM and wordly posts, and realise the road to rebuilding will be long and hard and it will never be the same without you.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 202
    Removed by a moderator
    Quoting Luds: Goodbye to all those moony stories :))
    It might be funny to you, but you need to know that I and probably a score of others feel screwed over and gutted right now.
  • I don't see the new format getting the same great content produced for it that the old one did. This whole wall/comments based system isn't really conducive to long posts like in-depth reviews or discussions.

I miss the old forum dearly already, but I'll give this new "community" a chance, on a trial basis, provided it does become a community in fact and not just in name.
    Though I have not been a frequent member for the past few years, I have now returned to something much different. I discovered Mi6 at the ripe age of 13, and I too contributed in poorly written and grammatically incorrect posts. But there were many things that the forums provided me. I established new relationships with fellow artist, I taught myself Photoshop so I could compete with the likes of artists such as Gobi, JobeGDG, Seb, and many others. Not only that, but I made a fan film, RISICO, one of the new fan films to have ever been made from this community.

True, things are different, we have lost the digital memories made of 0s and 1s, but we can start again if we choose. Let the art flourish again, the Deadline Midnight Saturdays, and the discussions about the spy that we truly love and who brought us together in the first place.

Here's to the new Mi6!
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting TheWhiteTuxedo: It might be funny to you, but you need to know that I and probably a score of others feel screwed over and gutted right now.
    I am too mate, believe me. BTW what browser are you using? It seems to remove some < and >
  • Internet explorer. I use it for MI6, and Safari for most other things. May swicth it.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Wow... I mean are you kidding me?

The old forum is not accessible? I would have been nice to get a bit of warning. An email saying we'd have a month to save some memories. I'm not the only one who made friends and have some memories documented on that forum. Even if it's static, we should be able to go back to use it for links and quotes. I've been on forums before that had to revamp but we received warning and are able to access it still.

This is strange. Years of waiting for an upgrade and instead the forum is burned to the ground? Please say it isn't so.

Please.
    It's so. It's been burned, destroyed. All gone.

We should've of least gotten a warning afterall. This move shouldn't have been so sudden that you couldn't have allowed that to occur.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 114
    I don't mind the change. But the lack of warning strikes me odd for a site that IS the best Bond site on the web. However, they really botched it. This smacks of unprofessional at every level.

Thank you for always "Keeping the British End Up".
    RIP :(
  • Quoting TheWhiteTuxedo: Internet explorer. I use it for MI6, and Safari for most other things. May swicth it.
    Testing the quote thing on Safari.
    A'ight. Is anyone seriously considering leaving?

I can't tell you how gutting this is. MI6 was a great place to hang. I thought the layout was perfect. Old software, fine. Update it. Keep the same general look. Not this facebook thing.
    blockquote>Quoting Moore:
    I don't mind the change. But the lack of warning strikes me
    odd for a site that IS the best Bond site on the web. However, they really
    botched it. This smacks of unprofessional at every level.

My thoughts exactly.

But I suppose we will all eventually get used to this. In time.
  • I am considering leaving, Tux -- IF the new format turns off enough of the "good people" whose contributions made things worthwhile. If enough of them stay and if the level of discussion remains comparable to what it was, I'll stick around. I'm waiting to see if the shock and depression wears off.
  • Seven years! Seven bloody years! I'm gonna miss it, I really will. Sad as it sounds, Keeping The Pommie End Up had become part of my daily routine. I'm rather sad that the thousands of posts I made have gone the way of the Aztecs. Then again, if I ever happened to become a public figure I've no doubt all that crap would be leaked out and used to my detriment. :p
  • We should rename this thread, "Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond."
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    RIP to the old forum. I can't believe this has finally happened ( not what I expected). Hopefully this will grow on me, but at the moment I am not sure.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Well, Tux, not that I'm here a lot... but this format looks cheap. If it is a matter of the admins saving money, ok. But I do think the other format was quite nice looking.

Maybe they were sick of the older/longer members complaining that the forum was being overrun with kids... Maybe they wanted to cull the old herd and make the forum more enjoyable and user-friendly for noobies...

Such a shame about not being able to access the gems of the past though. There was always something each week at least that was found by someone that gave us all a giggle.

Quoting TheWhiteTuxedo: A'ight. Is anyone seriously considering leaving?

I can't tell you how gutting this is. MI6 was a great place to hang. I thought the layout was perfect. Old software, fine. Update it. Keep the same general look. Not this facebook thing.
    It sort of flashed across my mind. I've had 8 years on the site almost. I drifted away due to being so busy the past year, but I was coming back into the fold. But this was devastating. I had a bunch of silly projects on there that I've carried out since 2003: The MI6 Fan Fiction Interviews, my crappy fan fic ideas, my literature/film reviews.

I feel so gutted. I feel like I invested 8 years into something and in an instant everything was gone.

I like this community layout. It is re-energizing. But I can't see it reaching what the old site did. I agree. IT was perfect. Improve, update, upgrade that. Would have been fantastic.

If I wanted Facebook, quite frankly, I'll go on Facebook
  • No point in having stuff like "Behind the Avatars" or the Friday salute when this "community" has no history to celebrate.
    blockquote>Quoting TheWhiteTuxedo: MI6 was a great place to hang. I thought the layout was perfect. Old software,
    fine. Update it.

To true - MI6 was my place to "hang" for 6 years or so. It was a place where I turned up an extremely fresh faced young noob and talked to people about Bond initially, before growing into a web where I've made friends. I learned about film through the place. And all thats gone.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    I quite like this fresh make over. Too bad everything was lost, but I can see why.

What does the post count mean anyway? And those memories you have, or friends you found over att KTBEU, should still be in your heads and around. Losing the site doesn't mean you loose everything it gave you.

Agreed. Same problem faces doing Fan Fiction Interviews. Who do we interview? No writers. No stories. How is it done? It isn't. Hopefully, something will pop up in the next two months that's worth looking into.
    Removed by a moderator
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    Quoting Moore: I like this community layout. It is re-energizing. But I can't see it reaching what the old site did. I agree. IT was perfect. Improve, update, upgrade that. Would have been fantastic.
    You know, its not a decision we took lightly, and there were a lot of elements to a puzzle we've now completed - not just the old forums.

In part our frustration has been vented in the follow document http://www.mi6-hq.com/moved/ - in part there is a lot more to it.
    Removed by a moderator
This discussion has been closed.