Isn't there a 007 theme separate from the James Bond Theme?

edited October 2013 in Music Posts: 2
Maybe I'm crazy, but aren't there 2 Bond themes? The James Bond Theme that is used all the time in the movies and started with Dr. No. But isn't there another one called the 007 Theme that is very different? I know I had it on an instrumental LP years and years ago. There are no words so I can't track it down like that. I found it on You Tube once but the video (a collage of the Bond movies) it was used with vanished. I have been listening to everything I can find that says 007 Theme but it is all the other James Bond theme. Does this 007 theme exist? Thanks much!

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2013 Posts: 16,328
    Ah this is where I come in. :) Yes "007" is an alternate theme used in FRWL, TB, YOLT (Couldn't find the Track online but it's called "Little Nellie") DAF and MR.

• edited October 2013 Posts: 2
    THANK YOU THANK YOU! I have been trying to find this and everyone else I asked denied there ever having been another theme and looked at me as if I had two heads. I actually like this so much better than the other theme, so you have made my day!
    You are most welcome @bondmusicgirl. :) Welcome to MI6 Community. I hope you have a pleasant stay. Also, I forgot to mention that Thunderball used "007" more than any other Bond film to feature it. Enjoy some more I dug up.

The 007 theme has always been a favourite of mine. Shockingly underused and I wish it would come back, perhaps in a slightly modernized form like the Bond theme has been modernized.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The 007 theme has always been a favourite of mine. Shockingly underused and I wish it would come back, perhaps in a slightly modernized form like the Bond theme has been modernized.

It is also my personal favourite, however I think the reason behind it not being used any more has something to do with copyright. Perhaps someone could clarify this? I would guess @SirHenryLeeChaChing would be the right man for the job.

@bondmusicgirl welcome to the forum, feel free to visit The Girls Room and introduce yourself here.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Agreed. That would be awesome.

Sandy wrote:
    It is also my personal favourite, however I think the reason behind it not being used any more has something to do with copyright.
    Well that's terrible if it's true. Why can they use the Bond theme but not 007?
  • Sandy wrote:
    It is also my personal favourite, however I think the reason behind it not being used any more has something to do with copyright. Perhaps someone could clarify this?

Not true. Arranging it would only require royalties being to John Barry's estate. The only reason it hasn't been used is due to being tonally inappropriate for most modern Bond action setpieces.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Not true. Arranging it would only require royalties being to John Barry's estate. The only reason it hasn't been used is due to being tonally inappropriate for most modern Bond action setpieces.
    It wouldn't have to be used during an action scene.
  • pachazo wrote:

It wouldn't have to be used during an action scene.

Exactly.
    It certainly is a great piece of music! Hopefully to return one day soon maybe? [-O<
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    I love it, but I really can't see it return in a modern Bond flick, it wouldn't fit in :/ Too "happy".
  • I too have been looking for this for years, and only found the DAF version the other day. Not only has James Bond given us great books and films, but great music too!
    The "Death of Largo" variant fits really well with the Climax to QoS in the Eco Hotel.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Using it as Bond travels from one country to the next would work. Or sample only sections of it during an action scene along with parts of the film's score.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2475/can-the-007-theme-return

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1047/difference-between-007-theme-and-james-bond-theme
    I love it, but I really can't see it return in a modern Bond flick, it wouldn't fit in :/ Too "happy".

It is a very triumphant music, it would work I think but it would depend of the context.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Sandy wrote:
    It is also my personal favourite, however I think the reason behind it not being used any more has something to do with copyright. Perhaps someone could clarify this?

The royalty part is correct. The song can be used if EON are willing to pay Barry's estate. Why none of the composers nor EON have thought about using it is a mystery, it's certainly never been mentioned in anything I've ever read. They just might consider it to be a Barry thing and nothing more.

Personally, it doesn't bother me whether they use it or not although I certainly wouldn't be upset if it were one day resurrected in the right context.

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    The Thunderball-ending version is a masterpiece. I think that could fit in almost any action scene...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    It'd be a nice knowing touch to see the 007 Theme return to the series in the Craig era.
    This has always been one of my favorites. It would be nice to hear it in the next film.
  • CrabKey wrote:
    This has always been one of my favorites. It would be nice to hear it in the next film.

I read that it made a brief cameo in Die Another Day during the car chase scene. One of the few decent tributes to the past that they managed.
  • There's no way they would reuse it today without updating it. As much as I like it in the old movies it just wouldn't work today without being redone. I think it could be done though and I'd love to hear it again in it's new form some day in a new film.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 172
    Starts at 1:24

I love the OHMSS theme - I always think of this as another alternative Bond theme and would love to see it used again.