Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• And then in 2055, there will be a "originals" thread on some Indy fan forum, asking "is it true that people actually wanted the films to end with the KCS all-time low ?" or "is it true they could not imagine someone else than Ford, they never heard of James Bond ?" :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Harrison Ford is 71 now, and who knows when the next 'Indiana Jones' will start up and get to filming. I don't think he could do the role, unless they just hide his face in every action sequence, thanks to a stunt double.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 6,396
    And then in 2055, there will be a "originals" thread on some Indy fan forum, asking "is it true that people actually wanted the films to end with the KCS all-time low ?" or "is it true they could not imagine someone else than Ford, they never heard of James Bond ?" :)

There are major differences between the Bond and Indy franchises though. Bond had existed before Connery and he still exists after Connery. Plus SC played Bond (initially at least) for 6 years. Harrison Ford has been synonymous with the role of Indy since 1981.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Wow, now there's an obscure reference if ever I read one, @Ludovico. ;-)

Look, Helen Slater can do her Supergirl stuff anytime. :x But yeah, some curious choices in that one too... Peter O'Toole - what were you doing there?

And Faye Dunaway, and Mia Farrow. It was a first class gathering of actors.
  • Too bad they couldn't digitally de-age him like in this awesome photo

big.jpg

...I mean sure I guess they could, but then the question is 'should they'.
  • Plus SC played Bond (initially at least) for 6 years. Harrison Ford has been synonymous with the role of Indy since 1981.
    Ford did three movies in 8 years, and then Indy was played by Sean Patrick Flanery as the main star of the Chronicles. His return after such a long time makes KCS look a bit like his NSNA, in my opinion.
    It's a bit funny to see so many conservative persons here, given how many novelties the Bond franchise created that we take now for granted (changing the actor without introducing plastic surgery in the plot for instance).
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Plus SC played Bond (initially at least) for 6 years. Harrison Ford has been synonymous with the role of Indy since 1981.
    Ford did three movies in 8 years, and then Indy was played by Sean Patrick Flanery as the main star of the Chronicles. His return after such a long time makes KCS look a bit like his NSNA, in my opinion.
    It's a bit funny to see so many conservative persons here, given how many novelties the Bond franchise created that we take now for granted (changing the actor without introducing plastic surgery in the plot for instance).

The difference is every subsequent Bond actor could go back to Fleming as a basis on which to build their own interpretation of the character rather than just imitating Sean.

A new Indy has nowhere to go except attempt to copy Harrison.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Harrison Ford just seems grumpy and angry in every film he's been in since the late 90's. It wouldn't be an Indiana Jones movie, It would be a Harrison Ford dressed up as Indiana Jones movie.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @Master_Dahark I love your idea. That's the best possible route to take I think.

@WillyGalore Mel Gibson was synomynous with Mad Max for even longer but the new one is shaping up to be fantastic.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 2,015
    This is, in my opinion, overlooking the fact the whole Indiana Jones concept is a self-proclaimed tribute to the numerous heroes from old serials. Even Charlton Heston's "Secret of the Incas" is now in the public domain, there's no problem for a new Indy to use them now without having to be quiet about it :)

421710indy1.jpg

@WillyGalore Mel Gibson was synomynous with Mad Max for even longer but the new one is shaping up to be fantastic.

With respect, Mad Max has always been a low budget, cult film series as opposed to Indy, which is mainstream cinema.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    Harrison Ford just seems grumpy and angry in every film he's been in since the late 90's. It wouldn't be an Indiana Jones movie, It would be a Harrison Ford dressed up as Indiana Jones movie.
    He belongs in a museum!
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 14,799
    This is, in my opinion, overlooking the fact the whole Indiana Jones concept is a self-proclaimed tribute to the numerous heroes from old serials. Even Charlton Heston's "Secret of the Incas" is now in the public domain, there's no problem for a new Indy to use them now without having to be quiet about it :)

421710indy1.jpg

That's my whole point: it would be a copy of a copy. But even though Indiana Jones was inspired by serials, it was not (unlike Bond) a direct adaptation from a specific source.

As I said before, do graphic novels, novels, what have you, animated movies even, things that can be officious sequels or prequels. But a reboot? Not the way to go.
    I never saw that Heston movie before. Lots of direct influence! Except... Secret of the Incas is kind of boring.... *yawn*
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

421710indy1.jpg

This is precisely the point. The adventurer-seeking-some-valuable-artefact-in-competition-with-ruthless-adversaries is hardly an original concept. We have had films such as King Solomon's Mines and Alan Quartermain, Tomb Raider, The Mummy, National Treasure, Sahara which all copied the old serial concept but none of them have really come close to Indy's success so there must be something about the character/Harrison (for unlike Bond whom exists on the page, Harrison is Indy).

To just knock up another 'adventurer' film without Harrison and call it Indiana Jones would be fraught with risk. Look how Bourne turned out without Bourne.

I guess the big question the studio have to ask themselves is: Is the Indiana Jones brand strong enough to, not just survive, but flourish without Harrison?

Bond in the 70's shows the difference between surviving and flourishing. Yes LALD and TMWTGG made money but not the sort of success that Sean delivered and there was a definite downward trajectory. Another TMWTGG sized gross in 77 and the studio may well have pulled the plug. Fortunately Cubby realised the danger and pulled out all the stops, Rog hit his stride and the rest is history.

Will any Indy film make money? Initially yes but will they keep making money if its LeBoeuf as Indy junior or a complete reboot? Who knows?

I'm not sure the Indy brand is as strong as Star Wars whereby three duds in a row were served up and they still made massive returns. I think there's a desire for more Indy but I don't know anyone who desires Indy sans Harrison.
    Personally, I'd be more than willing to see Nathan Fillion give Indy a shot...
    chrisisall wrote:

I think he would make a great Indiana Jones. I would love to see that.

• @WillyGalore Mel Gibson was synomynous with Mad Max for even longer but the new one is shaping up to be fantastic.

With respect, Mad Max has always been a low budget, cult film series as opposed to Indy, which is mainstream cinema.

Low budget yes but how is it not "main stream"? They're iconic films that've inspired tons of other movies, they made Mel Gibsons career and Road Warrior is rightfully regarded as one of the best action films ever made.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

I think he would make a great Indiana Jones. I would love to see that.

I would need a teaser and one hell of a good plot to be convinced

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I do consider Mad Max a mainstream, iconic film. It may have had a low budget but it took off, was popular everywhere, and influenced other films for years. Not just a cult favorite, not from my experience.

New Indiana Jones movies?
    I agree pretty much with the Wiz, especially : To just knock up another 'adventurer' film without Harrison and call it Indiana Jones would be fraught with risk. Look how Bourne turned out without Bourne.

For me, I can see that the character of Indiana Jones is so beloved, and so much fun, that to continue the character is tempting. I am not saying that in itself is a bad idea. But they need to be very, very careful. I adore Harrison Ford to this day, but I do not want him in another Indiana Jones film, unless it is something like @Master_Dahark wrote. That would be good! I think they could do the next movie(s) set in earlier decades.

But I would thing I cannot stomach is Shia coming back as Indy. Get a new actor, please, no matter what else!
    How could Shia even return as Indy? He isn't Indy, so how would that work? It would be a terrible film, that's for sure, with (I'm sure) more vine-swinging with monkeys.
    Well I have to say I did not see that coming? Well without a doubt they will make Indy 5! It's just a case of whether it's a continuation of what's gone before? Or a completely new reboot and direction with the character?
    Cool!
    But what would be the huge quest what would Indy honestly go after?

Putting aside Harrison ford is to old or no one can replace him.

I ask everyone on this thread what would be the quest? What would he look for?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Risico007 wrote:

If Harrison is still cast in the role? How about the Fountain of Youth?
    Risico007 wrote:

If Harrison is still cast in the role? How about the Fountain of Youth?

If Harrison is returning, that's the only option. Or a time machine that somehow alters aging. Like I said earlier, by the time he manages to return and start filming, he'll be nearly 75 years old.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    So that would put the timeline in the 1960's then? Who will be the villains? The Russians again?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    There are tons of Indiana Jones Graphic novels that could be made into movies.