Lulu ?

edited October 2012 in Music Posts: 90
Does anyone think Lulu's rendition of TMWTGG is the best Bond song ? What about Christopher Lee as Scaramanger ? Does anyone think that (judging from the book) James Coburn would have been a better choice ?

Comments

Nope on both counts. The song is one of the worst of the series (not the worst, mind you. DAD and AWTD are at the very bottom). I love Lulu, but that's a song she shouldn't have done. As for Christopher Lee, he was the right man for the part. Too bad the movie was not that good (Britt Ecklund was one of the worst Bond Girl ever. Talk about your blonde stereotype).
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    It's an ok song.
  • I think Alice Cooper's rejected song for TMWTGG is a much better song.
  • Best Lulu song for me was 'The Man who sold the world', incidentally released the same year as The Man with the Golden Gun (I hated Shout), and I think it's a very good theme intro, lively, vibrant, and while slightly belligerent and abrasive, if you can overlook that, you simply get caught up in the vibrancy of the song. It's one of the best of the entire franchise for me. It's also worth a few points to Golden Gun's overall total, in that it is, a very entertaining Bond release. I would of taken her again for Bassey in Moonraker or certainly Easton in For Your Eyes Only. Being serious, I think she did a very good theme
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I liked it a lot. Now, can someone get it out of my head???
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    nope... IMO i put it right alongside Madonna's horrendous effort as the worst in the series..
  • chrisisall wrote:
    I liked it a lot. Now, can someone get it out of my head???

I think that's what basically it is, in that, in the back of our minds or subconscious, we know it's a pretty poor theme, almost as bad as Madonna's Die Another Day, but it's not nearly so belligerent and if you can get through it once, you learn to enjoy it, as I have. It is, in the simplest terms - a guilty pleasure

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    if you can get through it once, you learn to enjoy it, as I have. It is, in the simplest terms - a guilty pleasure
    "He comes just before the kill.." That's so crass & dopey, yet I like this tune.... :-\"
  • I won't be coming at all tonight if I don't get off these damn pages, but many of us won't pay attention to lyrics, and it took me forever and a day to understand what Keys and White were singing about for the last release amid all that awful crap, but it was a lot more clear and concise in 1974, if (Lulu's song was,) 'a little loud'

Here are the actual lyrics from that years movie -

He has a powerful weapon
    He charges a million a shot,
    An assassin that's second to none,
    The man with the golden gun.

Lurking in some darkened doorway,
    Or crouched on a roof top somewhere,
    In the next room, or this very one

Love is required whenever he's hired,
    It comes just before the kill.
    No-one can catch him, no hit man can match him
    For his million dollar skill.

One golden shot means another poor victim,
    Has come to a glittering end,
    For a price, he'll erase anyone

His eye may be on you or me.
    Who will he bang?
    We shall see. Oh yeah!

Love is required whenever he's hired,
    It comes just before the kill.
    No-one can catch him, no hit man can match him
    For his million dollar skill.

One golden shot means another poor victim,
    Has come to a glittering end,
    If you want to get rid of someone,
    The man with the golden gun
    Will get it done
    He'll shoot anyone
    With his golden gun..

Most will be aware, doubtless of the lyrics, but I feel they're actually well written and I think she did a great job in doing the theme for it

I think it's time for bed

Goodnight ; - )

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    She did a really good job with the song, belting it out. I find it likeable sometimes and also annoying (gee it stays in my head!). And I always hear it as *man with the golden guh-UHN) thanks to her emphasis. :) Not my favorite song, not my least liked either.

Anyway, I think this is all discussed in more than one thread on reviewing the films...
    Lulu does a great job with the song,i like it a lot.
    Christopher Lee is great as Scaramanga.
    I haven't read the book so i can't say if coburn would have been better.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The song is one of my least favourites but I love Christopher Lee as Scaramanga!
  • I don't mind the film (Lee, Nick Nack and Moore are great), but the song is just annoying. Alice Coopers was much better.
  • O6GO6G
    Some of the lyrics are awful, but the song itself, the way it's structured and such is excellent if you ask me.
  • Lulu did a good job performing The Man With the Golden Gun theme. But I like the instrumental better.
    I think it's time for bed

Goodnight ; - )

Good night, good night, sleep well my dear.
    Horrible song but Die Another Day is by far the worst.
    I've actually never minded this song. AWTD I dislike even more than DAD.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    There was a time when I really loved the song, but I never thought of it as one of the better entries. I do like that end credits segue from M/Bond's "Goodnight?/Goodnight sir" into the alternate lyrics.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,727
    I like the song, though it is a bit corny, I guess, but then I'm one of the few that also likes AWTD, as the TMWTGG theme song reminds me of it in many parts! And yes, sad as I undoubtedly am, I like the outro of the film TMWTGG!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Compared to AWTD, TMWTGG is a superb piece of music.
  • Well, it's better than Metallica's collaboration with Lou Reed that has the same name. I like it more than most people (same goes for Another Way to Die), even though it's not the best piece of music, it's a decent bit of fun. I prefer Alice Cooper's version, too.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I rank Lulu's effort as high as #3 behind the first two Bassey classics, but I have to say both Tom Jones TB and Nancy Sinatra's YOLT challenge for the #3 spot too.
    I love the brassy, no-holds barred, full throat volume of the song. She's not quite Bassey but she can sure belt. Great song. I sit right up when it comes on.