Favorite Bond Finale

Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 40,372
From <i>DN</i> to <i>QoS</i>, what is your favorite finale of them all?

Mine is <i>GE</i>. Heavy action, brutal hand-to-hand combat between 007 and Trevelyan, the crane is a fantastic set piece, and I love the buildup as Boris keeps clicking the pen after Bond and Natalya are captured.

What's yours?

Comments

• edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Mine is GE too actually - everything except the very average song over the end credits.

Other honorable mentions though:
    -TSWLM ("keeping the British end up sir").
    -GF with Shirley Basset's belting tune.
    -CR ("Bond, James Bond" as Arnold's theme sends shivers down the spine)
    -Dr No - the cheesey music resembling a 1940s war film aside I like the version of "Underneeth the Mango Tree" that plays.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yep, the song bugs me, and seeing the pad under Brosnan that helps him more easily slide down into the crane with Natalya irks me. Other than that, fantastic finale.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 303
    Haha, GoldenEye here ASWELL!
    - But i also enjoyed A view to a kill's (Golden gate bridge) aswell as GE.
    Haha, GoldenEye here ASWELL!
    - But i also enjoyed A view to a kill's (Golden gate bridge)
    That one is pretty good, too. I love when the blimp implodes.
  • @Creasy47
    - haha yeah, i remember the first time i watched that ending (late 2009) and feeling the tension and everything, to me it was great!
    When you say "final" do you literally mean how the film ends or the showdown between Bond and the villain?
    When the showdown between the villain and Bond starts. So for instance, take AVTAK: the finale would be when Bond and Stacey break in and begin the attempt to sabotage Zorin's plan.

For GE, I would think of the finale as soon as their plane crashes.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    FYEO, MR, YOLT, DAF.
    FYEO is one of my favorite finales. Hell, it's one of my favorite Bond flicks.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    FYEO is one of my favorite finales. Hell, it's one of my favorite Bond flicks.
    :-bd Another Moore fan I see !!
    Oh, absolutely! Not sure how much flak any of the Moore films get, but I love them all.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,497
    By finale, I think we mean climax--the final arc of the story, the big explosive peak, not the 'climax' Bond has with the girl at the very end.

My top finales:

GF - Pussy saving the day coupled with the countdown edge-of-your seat bomb defusing by Bond
    YOLT - the volcano laire with ninjas is as a grand as it gets
    TSWLM - giant sub set-piece, Rog on the move
    LTK - the Big Rig sequence is explosive
    GE - Touche with what others have already said
    QOS - A really intense finale with both Camille and the General going at it and Greene maniacally swinging the axe at Bond, complete with burning/exploding building.

Those are the best, though I would include the Red Grant fight as it is essentially the finale of the filrm, even though there's still another 20 or so more minutes of action (one of the things that still bugs me about FRWL). And as much as the DAF ending is derided, I do enjoy the bedlam of the CIA and Whyte unleashing their helicopter fleet on the oil tanker, as the bomb ticks away to doomsday with Dr. Metz shouting frantically.
    Exactly it, @JBFan626.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    By finale, I think we mean climax--the final arc of the story, the big explosive peak, not the 'climax' Bond has with the girl at the very end.
    My top 5 are as follows:

YOLT
    TSWLM
    OHMSS
    MR
    TB

TB
    Glad to see someone who doesn't think TB's underwater sequence are dead slow !
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    1) TSWLM
    2) GE
    3) LTK
    4) TB
    5) OHMSS
    OHMSS

Oh goodness! #-O How could I forget OHMSS!! Easily my favorite finale: the Lazenby machine gun slide, the Draco helicopter assault, Tracy skewering that guy on the spike sculpture (you knew that prop was going to be used for something deadly later on!), the Bob-sled chase with Bond and Blofeld! It nearly brings tears to my eyes it's so good.
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,686
    Yes, how could I forget OHMSS *and* LTK ? All-time classic finales.
    LTK's finale is excellent. Don't know another film where an 18-wheeler turns into a 9-wheeler.
  • The Piz Gloria raid in OHMSS. I also really like the confrontation on the Orient Express in FRWL-- as far as I'm concerned that's where the film reaches its emotional climax...everything that came after was epilogue. I also rank TB and YOLT very high.
    LTK's finale is excellent. Don't know another film where an 18-wheeler turns into a 9-wheeler.
    Yeah, License to Kill sure does have an awesome finale! Bond tied to a cocaine crusher, Sanchez losing all his henchmen one by one, Bond hijacking tanker trucks, and so much more!

A few others also come to my mind:
    -GoldenEye
    -Tomorrow Never Dies
    -You Only Live Twice
    -The Spy Who Loved Me
    -Octopussy
    @00Beast, the finale for TND just doesn't let up: it's insanely action packed. I loved it.
    @Creasy47: Much agreed!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TB
    Glad to see someone who doesn't think TB's underwater sequence are dead slow !
    I've never understood that criticism but then like Bond I have an enthusiasm for water sports.

@Creasy 47

Yup, also the most gruesome death in bond history
    @Creasy 47

Yup, also the most gruesome death in bond history
    Which death are you talking about, exactly?
    Carver
    A handful of my top favorites finales:
    -TSWLM
    -GE
    -TND
    -YOLT
    -GF (thankfully the finale is good, because the rest of the movie is trash)
    -OP
    -LTK
    @00Beast, I'm a huge fan of the GF finale, as well. Very intense as the bomb timer ticks away, further and further. I love it.
  • I felt like putting The Man With The Golden Gun in straight away, it does keep the suspense for the most part, we always know with battles between Bond and adversaries who is going to prevail every time but even so it's a nice sequence towards the end and cat and mouse with Christopher Lee, although how (and for the last time) I never knew how Moore was able to get down from that frame so quickly and in near darkness and be in position in time to take out Scaramanga

Live and Let Die is also up there, real fun as Moore rescues Seymour amid all the mayhem

I'll include Goldfinger too, pity that the film itself was a boring affair but once Connery arrives at Fort Knox and the troops close in and the bomb ticks away, it has a really fun bit with Harold Sekata before he gets electrocuted, it's arguably the best (near) ending of Connerys tenure