Monty Python Reunion (Plus, South Park collaboration?)

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I would like to say I'm excited and will be queuing for tickets but I get the feeling this could well be rubbish. Certainly when they have done sketches on things like the Secret Policeman's Ball the effect has been rather underwhelming.

Although if you said 'would you pay to watch the remaining Pythons do the Dead Parrot sketch, the Argument sketch , the Spam sketch' then the answer would probably be yes.

Graham Chapman was such a great part of it though.
  • Graham Chapman was such a great part of it though.

That's the main problem I think. RIP.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 5,767
    If they do mostly new stuff and not just remember-we-did-this-sketch-stuff I would fly there.

I would go in though for an updated version of The Spanish Inqusition!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think some of them are broke so they are going for broke, if you will, in order to recoup their losses. A bit like Le Chiffre in a funny old way. Probably not the best reason for putting on a comedy show, but there it is.
    I still enjoy their CD called the final rip off, but it seems we are in for another one. ;)

And too be honest I do not mind it with them.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 4,622
    These guys are the funniest troupe in the history of comedy. The tv show they did way back, I have never laughed at anything so hard in my life.
    Comedic geniuses, all 5 of them. I guess I am shortchanging Terry Gilliam somewhat, but he was the animator -damn good of course, but it was the actual skits of the other 5 that really left a lasting impression.
    I think my favourite was Cleese, followed very shortly by Palin. But each brought unique talents.
    Bravo! Best with the re-union. It's like a Beatles reunion if such a thing were possible. They are that brilliant!
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    It's a one off show at the O2, it'll be in July next year and they're doing their most popular sketches (with "modern, topical, Python esque twists"), and a bit of new material.

Tickets are on sale on the 25th of November and it will be filmed and released on DVD.
  • As clear as their motive - the reunion is only about making much needed money for some members, not for the love of the comedy or each other. It is well documented about their falling outs. I for one will still do my upmost to get tickets for this event. They are comedy legends and if this is to be a one off event, it is now or never to see them live. Just imagine the atmosphere at the O2, it going to be a massive event. I hope they really put on a show and remind everyone why Monty Python is so revered in the world of comedy.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    They are, of course, comic demi-gods who I will eternally worship. But can they still cut it? I remember that when BBC2 broadcast a 'Python Night' about 10(ish!) years ago the remaining Pythons performed new material to link the original shows and documentaries. The results were somewhat poor. Having said that, I saw Mr. Cleese on stage in his one man show a year or so ago and he was on superb form. I'll certainly try and get a ticket for this show - which might be easier said than done!
    Was that the Alamony show in which he spent a lot of it slagging off his latest ex? I saw that too.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Indeed, Bain. Presumably she didn't attend herself.