Philip Glass - Too good for Bond?

edited November 2013 in Music Posts: 11,119
Isn't this just lovely? Lot of cinematic tension. Would be great if a composer is daring enough to use 100% strings for an action sequence no?

Comments

• Personally I find Glass's symphonies tedious as hell. His writing works better for opera.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Shades of Barry's TLD during the Afghanistan base fight at the 28 second mark but other than that pretty average generic film music if you ask me. I'd certainly prefer Arnold or even Newman back.

Does that make me a philistine? Guilty then.
  • So this is tedious as well :-)?

Apart from finding links to James Bond, I find his music simply beautiful.
  • I prefer Reich, Nyman, Reilly and Adams myself.
    It looks like Glass will be the composer of the upcoming Fantastic Four movie. @-)
    It looks like Glass will be the composer of the upcoming Fantastic Four movie. @-)

You're kidding no??? Anyway, I loved his score for "Notes On A Scandal", with Judi Dench.

You're kidding no??? Anyway, I loved his score for "Notes On A Scandal", with Judi Dench.

I am not kidding. http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/27/philip-glass-to-score-forthcoming-fantastic-four-film

I am not kidding. http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/27/philip-glass-to-score-forthcoming-fantastic-four-film

And the teaser trailer:

I think it'll be a nice addition to the Marvel world. Moreover, it seems it'll be quite a serious movie.
    Of the many things that captivated original Bond fans was the music, not only the main title, but the rest of the score as well. Music was like a co-star, anticipated and enjoyed as the film played. Not so sure that has been the case for a while. I like plenty of references to the main theme, but those have become increasingly rare in the latest films, Skyfall being the most notable example. It seems as if the main title used to be written early in order to influence the rest of the tracks. These days it seems as if the main theme is written last, thereby minimizing its influence on the rest of the tracks.

• Hm, explaining you love repetitive stuff is giving the stick to be beaten with :)
    Suivez_ce_parachute said, Hm, explaining you love repetitive stuff is giving the stick to be beaten with.

It's just a preference, not masochism.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Woah a lot of people hating on this music, I like it Gustav. :)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Great Piano scene from Stoker (2013) who i watched last weak.

Without movie footage: