BLOFELD OR SILVA - THEIR EARLY YEARS?

edited November 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,548
Just been thinking how cool it might be to see a Bond spin-off movie featuring one of the main villains and detailing their rise to power ie Blofeld Begins or more recently showing how Silva went from trusted MI6 top operative to traitor. Would love to see Bardem playing the part again. Plus Bond rise to prominence could be a interesting take on the SPECTRE story now the rights have reverted back to EON.

Comments

It's not going to happen, but I always wondered about the cinematic Blofeld and thought of writing a sort of fictional biography for him.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2013 Posts: 9,117
    No thanks. We dont want Bond turned into the Marvel universe with spinoffs all over the shop.

Its bad enough we have to wait 3 years these days between films. We dont want EON stretching themselves even thinner.
  • DeJunkanoooDeJunkanooo Banned
    Movie wouldn't work. Getting painful flashbacks of Hannibal Rising.

Blofeld's origin would be best told in his own novel a tastefully done novel (breezy read, not exceeding 300 pages), by a respected Bond author. What do we know of Blo's past? Anything in Ians notes?
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there

Blofeld's origin would be best told in his own novel a tastefully done novel (breezy read, not exceeding 300 pages), by a respected Bond author. What do we know of Blo's past? Anything in Ians notes?

Well, there's a whole chapter on Blofeld's past in Thunderball.

Well, there's a whole chapter on Blofeld's past in Thunderball.

Yes and he's maybe the villain with the.most extensive bio.
    I don't like the idea of a spin off movie and I'm glad the Jinx project never saw the light of day. I'm only interested in Bond.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    We know Blofeld biography because it's written by Fleming himself and hence doesen't need any further work on it.
    And Silvas backstory? That's where our own imagination come's in. To expand on some characters or events in the Bond-universe is quite fun, no-one needs to know about our imagination.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    The problem with Silva or Blofeld is that we already know their back stories, so there's no need for a spin off detailing them.

Some kind of spin off detailing the rise of a villain isn't necessarily a bad idea though imo. There's potential there. I'd pay to see a gangster film starring Goldfinger for example.
  • RC7RC7
    In theory some spin-off ideas are passable. The problem is, once you do, the floodgates open. The larger your creative universe the harder it is to keep track of, and the quality of your output will inevitably diminish. Marvel is a different entity, but even that will not last forever, once you start spinning too many plates you run the risk of every single one being smashed to bits. The only spin-off I can imagine working is a 'Felix' TV series starring Wright, as long as it's written by David Simon ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,780
    This idea reminds me a bit of John Gardner's Moriarty Journals trilogy of novels, detailing the career of Professor James Moriarty, the Gaslight Godfather, and Sherlock Holmes' arch-enemy. The only difference is, they were good. Also, I don't think Ian Fleming would have wanted his villains being glamorised like this. His hero was James Bond, not Ernst Stavro Blofeld or Auric Goldfinger. Spin-offs of Bond villains would go down The Godfather Trilogy dark alley and I, for one, don't want that - glamorised amoral living through violence and gangsterism in general. James Bond is about heroism, the fight between good and evil at its most simple. Please let's keep it that way.
    RC7 wrote:
    In theory some spin-off ideas are passable. The problem is, once you do, the floodgates open. The larger your creative universe the harder it is to keep track of, and the quality of your output will inevitably diminish. Marvel is a different entity, but even that will not last forever, once you start spinning too many plates you run the risk of every single one being smashed to bits. The only spin-off I can imagine working is a 'Felix' TV series starring Wright, as long as it's written by David Simon ;)

Good shout. I'd forgotten about Leiter. He could make reference to Bond and maybe DC or whichever actor is playing bond at the time could make a cameo.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 63
    I would like to meet Silva's grandmother. She sounds like a fascinating woman.
    Wint wrote:

And that would put that stupid theory about M being his.mother to rest.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Wint wrote:

And that would put that stupid theory about M being his.mother to rest.

Indeed. I'm all for that!
    In another medium, like a graphic novel, I don't think it would be such a bad idea. It wouldn't be part of official movie or novel canon and done with the proper respect with the source material can't be any worse than many of the continuation novels.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    In another medium, like a graphic novel, I don't think it would be such a bad idea. It wouldn't be part of official movie or novel canon and done with the proper respect with the source material can't be any worse than many of the continuation novels.

Yes, and James Bond continuation author John Gardner did this for Professor Moriarty of the Sherlock Holmes stories in his three Moriarty Journals for instance.