MGM & Producers finally settle with McClory Estate

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    We have discussed this matter so many times and never reached a definitive conclusion about whether Danjaq had the right to SPECTRE & Co or not. Now finally we know for sure. Thank you for sharing the news @FelixLighter.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just read it fast - no details really, but are they saying that officially McClory was co-writer of Thunderball? I'm just glad it is finished and that Danjaq have all the rights now.
    There are no more McClory piranha fish to pick at Fleming's bones.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    This is great news! Finally does the Broccoli/Wilson own everything!
  • Well, I guess this also means that if they want to, Blofeld and SPECTRE can now be resurrected.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    This is cause for celebration! This truly is wonderful news! This story has always intrigued since my viewing of NSNA, and I'm glad to see it all ended in amiable circumstances, rather than a brutal court showdown. Here's to Bond!
    50 years wow. Glad this is finally settled
    Finally the right people got what is actually theirs to own. I'm happy that they can now use Blofeld and SPECTRE if they please, and I hope they'll destroy every single copy of their nemesis' film.
    Hmmm...does that make NSNA an "official" entry now that EON would technically own the rights to it?
    Great news! I expect SPECTRE and Blofeld to return in Bond 24 and no it won't be the stereotypical bald guy with a white cat.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Here we go again. ~X(
    Welcome back Mr Blofeld. We've been expecting you! (hopefully!). Benedict Cumberbatch, Daniel Day Lewis, Michael Sheen, are you paying attention to your agents?
    No more Blofeld please!
    More Blofeld please. This debate is going to run and run! If Q and Moneypenny can be brought back I dont see why ESB cannot. IMO there is still so much more than can they can do with the character that hasn't even been explored yet.
    I'm not going to argue against it anymore. It doesn't help me. It will be a big mistake if EON brings back Blofeld and Spectre. End of story.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Murdock wrote:
    I'm not going to argue against it anymore. It doesn't help me. It will be a big mistake if EON brings back Blofeld and Spectre. End of story.

This.

Even If they did reboot Bond, that doesn't mean brig back characters. Only time I want Blofeld to even appear, I want an Anthony Dawson/Eric Pohlmann style thing going on.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I'm glad this is now finally over with.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Hmmm...does that make NSNA an "official" entry now that EON would technically own the rights to it?

No, as it was not made as such.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    If Q and Moneypenny can be brought back I dont see why ESB cannot.

Q and Moneypenny are in nearly every film though. It's slightly different. Of course this does not mean he can't return.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote:

Right there with you. Couldn't possibly agree more, but I've argued this to death and said what needs to be said.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Right there with you. Couldn't possibly agree more, but I've argued this to death and said what needs to be said.

Indeed @Creasy47. My words go in one ear and out the other for those dying for Blofeld to make his return. However just as long as he doesn't I'll be happy.

To all those desperately wanting Blofeld Back for B24, watch this and be disappointed.
    Murdock wrote:

Nonsense--this is just the beginning. Bond without Blofeld is like Sherlock Holmes without Moriarty. Ellipsis and Quantum were cut-price versions of Spectre in the first place. It's time to deal with the original terrorist corporation and Bond's greatest nemesis. And let's not patronize the filmmakers by assuming they'll be content with having a bald guy stroke a cat.
    Bond has battled many more villains than Blofeld. In the books, he is his Moriarty. But in the movies, he isn't. He could have been... but they "drag" him into another thing.
    @Murdock, absolutely. I just don't want to get into it, my words are either agreed upon or fall upon deaf ears of those who refuse to listen to what I say. Some of you have been reasonable in debating it, others, not so much.
    Revelator wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Nonsense--this is just the beginning. Bond without Blofeld is like Sherlock Holmes without Moriarty. Ellipsis and Quantum were cut-price versions of Spectre in the first place. It's time to deal with the original terrorist corporation and Bond's greatest nemesis. And let's not patronize the filmmakers by assuming they'll be content with having a bald guy stroke a cat.

Bond isn't a Victorian era detective! Stop comparing Bond and Blofeld to Holmes and Moriarty. Quantum is the new era SPECTRE. Let's keep with going with original villains. I like something new, not a fan-service rehash. I don't care if they made Blofeld close to the book. He's seen his day on the big screen, It's time to come up with new material, not going back to old ideas for the sake of fan approval.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Great! Now we can get the definitive Thunderball adaptation.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,887
    Murdock wrote:
    Bond isn't a Victorian era detective! Stop comparing Bond and Blofeld to Holmes and Moriarty.

All right then--Bond without Blofeld is like Batman without the Joker. He is like any series character who benefits from a recurring villain that complements his persona.
    Murdock wrote:
    Quantum is the new era SPECTRE. Let's keep with going with original villains. I like something new, not a fan-service rehash.

But Quantum isn't new--it's just a cut-rate Spectre without personality or memorability. Preferring it to Spectre is like preferring artificial sweetener to sugar. Preferring it because it's "new" is silly, when it's a fan-service rehash in itself. And had EON had the rights to Spectre at the time, Quantum would have been Spectre instead and better off for it.
    Murdock wrote:
    He's seen his day on the big screen

Blofeld has never even properly cast on the big screen, and now you're saying he's seen his day!? You might not care whether or not he resembles his literary source, but I do, because it shows how much can be done with an already protean character.
    Murdock wrote:
    It's time to come up with new material, not going back to old ideas for the sake of fan approval.

By such logic, they shouldn't have bothered bringing back Moneypenny, Leiter or Q either. Why use classic characters when they can throw them out and make new ones to settle your mania for novelty?
    But this isn't about fan approval--it's about bringing back a character who has shown himself to be an effective recurring enemy for Bond. Spectre, a terrorist organization run like a Fortune 500 company, is more relevant than ever because it combines the modern 21st century boogeymen of terrorism and multi-national corporations into one entity.
    @Revelator, so what are you saying, they should dig up Blofeld, have him killed off, then bring him back in another ten years just to do the same, rinse and repeat every decade? What's wrong with tackling something new?
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 4,622
    LeChiffre wrote:
    More Blofeld please. This debate is going to run and run! If Q and Moneypenny can be brought back I dont see why ESB cannot. IMO there is still so much more than can they can do with the character that hasn't even been explored yet.

I'd be quite happy if the man-with-the-cat and his Spectre minions were the villains in every Bond film. A new actor for Blofeld with each film though. Just keep re-inventing him, but do keep the cat constant. Give him new lairs. Change up the henchmen outfits too.
    Good times!!!
    I do like Cumberbatch as choice. Michael Shannon would be another great eccentric Blofeld IMO.
    echo wrote:

There is one. It's called Thunderball. It was made in 65. Don't accept copycats.
    0013 wrote:
    echo wrote:

There is one. It's called Thunderball. It was made in 65. Don't accept copycats.
    yes the original TB movie was pretty damned good!! Can't see improving on it.

edited November 2013 Posts: 16,328
    @Revelator I'm completely fine with Moneypenny, Q and Felix because there regulars who have in appeared in more Fleming novels than Blofeld. I'm against Blofeld coming back because He's already been in six movies! (FYEO included!) His best appearances have been in three of those six. He's been exhausted. Quantum isn't fan-service because It's completely different than SPECTRE. You clearly want Blofeld back because YOU want him back. By YOUR logic we should just bring back ever villain and Reboot every Bond movie. Thanks but No thanks. Bring on "Originality" I'm sick of rebooting characters because it's popular.
    I may have liked Star Trek Into Darkness but I was still opposed to the re-use of Khan. It was a lost opportunity to do something different, but at least Peter Weller as Admiral Marcus made a great Villain as well.
    You want Blofeld back, fine write a fan-fic. But I'd preferred James Bond villains's stay current and up to date. too many movies have megalomaniacs as villains. I want something new. Silva was a breath of fresh air. He managed to be a silly but psychotic villain with an air of being Over to top without becoming another Gustav Graves. Keep Blofeld in 1962-2002 Era Bond.