Moore's Most Ruthless Moments

Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 40,372
For you, @DaltonCraig007.

Just like the other threads, list your favorite moments of Moore's where he is at his most ruthless.

My all-time favorite: Chasing Locque and kicking he and his car off the cliff. Amazing.

Comments

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited August 2011 Posts: 823
    putting nick nack in a cage!!

ruthless or just being a big bully?!?

you make the call!
  • Slapping around Maud Adams in TMWTGG. Sir Roger! We didn't know you had it in you.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well done @Creasy! A man of action you are.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Why thank you, @0Brady! Your comments are much appreciated, and are one of the reasons why I continue to come up with discussions. I appreciate the feedback.

While it may not really be seen as ruthless, for he has a split-second to react before his own life is taken, when Bond kills Grischka with the thrown knife and murmurs "And that's for 009.", it's such a well-delivered line. He got the revenge he was out for, and he's just soaking it all in. Very hungry look in his eyes, letting you know that he will not, under any circumstances, fail.
    I thought that scene was a bit awkward and forced coming from Moore. a FAR better, and more appropriate "harder" scene was the car kick in Eyes and even the "speak now or forever hold your piece" line.

Moore also had no reason to hit Maud Adams in the film. It wasn't as if he'd just lost a close friend with the other 00 agent that was killed and i also don't buy the argument he was scared for his life. If anything Bond would be the opposite and relish a confrontation with a world famous assassin It was merely a case of "let's try and make Moore harder like Connery".
    Yeah, the car kick scene in FYEO tops it all for me. For Connery, it was the murder of Dent, and for Moore, it was the murder of Locque. Very great scene - just when you think Locque might escape, Moore keeps booking it up the steps, and is rewarded in the end.
    I think Moore's 'Golden Gun' scene featuring him slapping around Maud Adams was uncomfortably forced. This was not Roger's Bond and the scene shows it. I've never cared for that scene.

While the killing of Locque in For Your Eyes Only was a good scene, I'm going to change it up say Moore's "What a helpful chap" scene in The Spy Who Loved Me. Bond clearly has no remorse in killing Sandor in cold blood, and even makes a quip.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 163
    MOORE's most ruthless moment... i say it would be between SANDOR(TSWLM) tie roof top bit and LOCQUE(FYEO) kicking the car off the cliff bit
    Well, the usual few, of course, like Locque car kick, Sandor tie flip, and slapping Andrea Anders.

Some others include:
    -Tossing Tee Hee out the window
    -Threatening to shoot Lazar in "the spot"
    -Forcing Drax into the air lock (he was going to die anyway from the cyanide tip, so this was just icing on the cake)
  • MOORE's most ruthless moment... i say it would be between SANDOR(TSWLM) tie roof top bit and LOCQUE(FYEO) kicking the car off the cliff bit
    I agree with these.

MOORE's most ruthless moment... i say it would be between SANDOR(TSWLM) tie roof top bit and LOCQUE(FYEO) kicking the car off the cliff bit
    Agree-d

• Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited August 2011 Posts: 642
    All of the above but also...Stripping a man of his parachute in mid air and kicking his face for good measure! MR kind of gets overlooked because the jaws/circus tent crap.
    The killing of Locque in FYEO is pure revenge,which Sir Roger never really ventured into.
    His face at that moment proves how dangerous he could look.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Kicking the car in FYEO, dart-ing Drax and sending him to outer space, slapping Anders, putting Nic Nac in a suitcase on top the boat, kicking the man right in the face in the karate school (TMWTGG) before escaping, pushing an agonizing man to the ground after being kicked by 2 girls, pushing the guy down the building because he hanged on to Moore's tie, ruthlessy shooting down Stromberg in the groin, pushing Zorin down the top of the golden gate bridge !, shooting Naomie with a missile !... So many !!
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    "shooting Naomie with a missile !..."

I don't think he had a smile on his face in that scene. He just said "It's time to say goodbye to an uninvited guest"

Sorry I thought you said SMILE

PLEASE DELETE MODS
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 19,339
    Did he push Zorin off the Golden gate Bridge ?
    It looked to me as if he was trying to use the axe for Zorin to grab hold of but i could be wrong,its not conclusive.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Did he push Zorin off the Golden gate Bridge ?
    It looked to me as if he was trying to use the axe for Zorin to grab hold of but i could be wrong,its not conclusive.
    He could have helped him... But he just lets him fall down to his death !!
    "shooting Naomie with a missile !..."

I don't think he had a smile on his face in that scene. He just said "It's time to say goodbye to an uninvited guest"

Sorry I thought you said SMILE

PLEASE DELETE MODS
    :-))
    putting nick nack in a cage!!

ruthless or just being a big bully?!?

you make the call!
    X_X

Complete with the "shadup" voice that sounds more like the short gangster from Looney Tunes
  • LudsLuds MIA
    No doubt it's kicking Locque's car down the cliff, truly one of Moore's classic Bond moments.
    Hmmm.. trying to think of a good one that hasn't been mentioned yet...

How about in OP when he stabs the last twin in the back- another 'revenge' murder. Also, this just occurred to me- the first twin was left in the cannon (what we now now to be a different cannon than in the circus) wouldn't it have been funny if at the circus scene they fired HIS cannon- and his dead, rag-doll body flew out! That would have been hilarious! Or maybe I'm just sick, lol
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No doubt it's kicking Locque's car down the cliff, truly one of Moore's classic Bond moments.
    I love how he presses his lips very tightly, showing this kick is going to count for something. There's Bond almost taking pleasure (but at least satisfaction) in a kill.

• LudsLuds MIA
    Goes to show Moore could deliver good intensity when needed. It's too bad he didn't have a chance to display his skills more often.
    Scenes like the death of Locque and Grischka (both revenge), you can just see the intensity in his eyes.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Scenes like the death of Locque and Grischka (both revenge), you can just see the intensity in his eyes.
    Why this wasn't used more often I'll never know.

Slapping Andrea Anders is also up there with the best, why Bond had to go down the The Spy Who Loved Me route is very annoying as Moore was too good for that to be needed - it almost made him look as bad as Brosnan.
    @Samuel001, neither do I. They were few and far between, but every time these little moments were on screen, I enjoyed them heavily. The brutal death of Locque has to be one of the contributing factors to why I enjoyed FYEO so much - it was that good.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    @Samuel001, neither do I. They were few and far between, but every time these little moments were on screen, I enjoyed them heavily. The brutal death of Locque has to be one of the contributing factors to why I enjoyed FYEO so much - it was that good.
    The line at the end: "he had no head for heights" really wasn't needed though. Bad move there.

One thing I really love that Moonraker had is the wink to the camera at the end. A nice way to sign off as Bond in my opinion - a wink to the audience, saying "thanks".

I wouldn't mind this with Craig however likely it is it won't happen.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    The line at the end: "he had no head for heights" really wasn't needed though. Bad move there.
    This is exactly why the Moore era can be dire.

The best ruthless moment was when he kicked the car off the cliff, but they did kinda ruin the moment with that line.

With the Connery - Dalton era, even a little bit of Brosnan, it was almost a prerequisite for Bond to say SOMETHING involving the death immediately after the kill. From "Shocking." to "He had no head for heights." to "He got the boot." Sometimes it was catchy, other times the death was so ruthless (like Locque) that the line just isn't needed.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Why this wasn't used more often I'll never know.

Slapping Andrea Anders is also up there with the best, why Bond had to go down the The Spy Who Loved Me route is very annoying as Moore was too good for that to be needed - it almost made him look as bad as Brosnan.
    The slapping of Andrea was Moore out of his depth. It didn't ring true IMHO. The re-think in Spy was the right choice regarding Moore's Bond. Moore could still be tough but only when the situation presented itself in the correct way. The quiet, calm type of toughness. With Connery you could actually BELIEVE he would hit a defencless woman in a fit of rage. Moore less so. He was more the gentleman charmer. Moore himself would be the first to admit that he wasn't a "tough guy".

In regard to the "no head for hights" line that never bothered me. In fact I found it quite effective. I wouldn't call it silly as such - more dark humour. It's a bit like the "launder it" line from Sanchez or "I never miss" from TWINE.