Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

• SharkShark Banned
    Risico007 wrote:
    though if I hate it or still love Legacy after viewing it I will be proud to say it here because then you can't fault me for my opinion.

That will be a different matter entirely. Then we will just ridicule you for preferring a bad film to a good one.

Better start with me then.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Shark wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    though if I hate it or still love Legacy after viewing it I will be proud to say it here because then you can't fault me for my opinion.

That will be a different matter entirely. Then we will just ridicule you for preferring a bad film to a good one.

Better start with me then.

Not a problem. If you prefer Legacy to the original trilogy youre an idiot.

Renner and Weisz do their best with the material but plodding and devoid of suspense and excitement doesnt even come close to describing it.

The last 15 minutes are decent but other than that its really rather dull.

Feel free to tell me one thing about Legacy that is better than the originals if you can.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I think that the shoot out in Weiz's house is tense and effective as is the earlier shooting/suicide in the lab (reminded me a little of Goldeneye oddly).
    The attack of the drone is pretty exciting as well.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2013 Posts: 9,117
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think that the shoot out in Weiz's house is tense and effective as is the earlier shooting/suicide in the lab (reminded me a little of Goldeneye oddly).
    SaintMark wrote:

Fair enough chaps. You're cherry picking the highlights which is fine but are they actually better than scenes in the other films? And for every decent scene there is a lumpen 10 minutes of exposition from poor Edward Norton who is wasted.

In all honesty Legacy is a reasonably solid (if uninspired) effort which has the misfortune of being compared to a very good trilogy of preceding films.

I should see it again to be able to criticise it fairly I suppose as I've only seen it on release but my overwhelming memories are being bored (the opening scenes of him in the mountains go on forever) and disappointed when comparing it to the other 3.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Fair enough chaps. You're cherry picking the highlights which is fine but are they actually better than scenes in the other films? And for every decent scene there is a lumpen 10 minutes of exposition from poor Edward Norton who is wasted.

In all honesty Legacy is a reasonably solid (if uninspired) effort which has the misfortune of being compared to a very good trilogy of preceding films.

I should see it again to be able to criticise it fairly I suppose as I've only seen it on release but my overwhelming memories are being bored (the opening scenes of him in the mountains go on forever) and disappointed when comparing it to the other 3.

I concur, Wizard. I too will need to see it again sometime soon with fresher eyes, as my opinion of it previously could have been unfairly affected by my severe diagnosis of separation anxiety from Matt Damon.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Justin Lin will direct the next 'Bourne' film:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12560
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/justin-lin-bourne-legacy-sequel-director

Deadline say Universal want a Summer 2015 release. Yeah right! Lin is a good choice although I think this really is flogging a dead horse now.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Why is every movie ever coming out in 2015?!
    Because 2015 is a year with a very simple motto "Go Big or Go Home"

Personally I prefer my huge block busters spread out a little but nope every studio is trying to throw their franchise out there that year for some unknown reason...

I enjoyed legacy and want Renner to have his spy franchise (though would prefer it as Macgyver but that is another story) I will see it.
    Not another 'Bourne,' please. At least on the directing end, Justin Lin can handle it, as he didn't let me down at all with his 'Fast' films, but if it's filled with some very obvious CGI and that god-awful editing again, I won't do it.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Legacy was a flop so why do they think releasing it in 2015, a film packed with highly anticipated blockbusters, is a good idea? Can't see it doing very well.

Justin Lin is good at making action films but I'm not interested in a sequel to Legacy. Recast Bourne, bring back Damon or (probably the best option at this point) let the franchise die.
    Legacy was a flop so why do they think releasing it in 2015, a film packed with highly anticipated blockbusters, is a good idea? Can't see it doing very well.

Justin Lin is good at making action films but I'm not interested in a sequel to Legacy. Recast Bourne, bring back Damon or (probably the best option at this point) let the franchise die.

The Bourne Legacy was not such a "flop" as it gets a sequel, so there was money made. And I really liked the movie even if it was not as good as the previous three but with Renner they could no go all out, and I do hope they keep Mrs Craig longer around than Jason Bournes ladyfriend.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getting Lin to direct is why they feel confident a 2015 release is viable. Lin will do a great job and I'm willing to bet the movie will be a significant improvement over Legacy but after rewatching the Bourne trilogy again only last week, the lack of Damon will forever be a huge blow. Damon was just so incredible in the role, particularly in supremacy but with Lin at the helm, we can expect a solid and entertaining outing.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I think we should be more focused on a new writer for the series penning this film's script. I really wonder if this is one film too many, even for those who like these kind of films.
    @Samuel001, I think the initial trilogy was excellent and didn't need to be brushed up on. We got our answers by the end, it had a solid finale, yet here's a "brand new" agent, who honestly, wasn't even interesting to me. And one of the main pieces of the 'Bourne' trilogy is that of fighting, and if they trash it with the bad editing and the overall mediocrity of it, what's the point? A fourth wasn't necessary, in the end.
  • There is potential for more Bourne films but I think they're going about it the wrong way.

I've said this before but I think it bears repeating. Try to get Damon back and if he won't return, recast Bourne. Make it a stand alone film separate from the original trilogy, no more fighting Treadstone. Bourne has been living his life quietly somewhere and gets caught up in a new adventure. They could even base it on one of the books (I enjoyed the continuation books more than Ludlum's trilogy).

I like how they've gotten a new writer and director but I can't muster up any excitement for this, especially with so many other films coming out soon (Mad Max 4, Bond 24, The Raid 2, etc).
    I know Damon has been iffy about returning - one minute I hear he'll return, the next, I hear he isn't if Greengrass isn't - but I like your idea, @thelivingroyale. Bourne is the same man, but changes actors (sounds familiar) and he knows who he is, only he's wrapped up in a new adventure.

I lack excitement for it, too, especially after 'Legacy.' But, who knows, with 2015 being such a year for films, I may end up seeing it just because I'll already be seeing so much.
    Bourne 5 certainly won't be top 3 however I am excited about it.
    I still fail to see why this is happening. Ultimatum was a satisfying end, gave Bourne an open slate to live free of Treadstone/Blackbriar's bonds, and left nothing else that needed building upon. While Legacy seemed like a cool idea on paper, I wasn't wowed by the film in any stretch of the imagination, and while some of the winks to the past films were great and grin inducing, the absence of Matt was critical and the film didn't offer anything terribly exciting or new. Bourne was interesting; a man who finds himself with all these amazing skills but with no memory to ascertain how he got them. The trilogy was exciting, because it was not only a test of Bourne's ability to survive, but also his journey to uncover his true identity and to stop those coming after him for good. He was flesh and blood, yet possessed abilities so finely tuned he was more than just a man; calculated and fast thinking like a super-computer. All these things made him a fascinating character, and Matt's acting only improved Bourne further.

With Legacy, I don't feel anything of that. The plot doesn't feel in tune with the past films, the action as I remember it was forgettable, and Cross was a bore compared to Bourne. Cross was not only uninteresting, he wasn't even an experienced agent crafted through years of training and in the field experience like Bourne was. Cross was only a skilled operative because of those stupid pills, and had no genuine qualities about him that were natural. With Bourne you realized that he was literally relying on only what he genuinely had inside himself and what his years of training had prepared him for. All Cross does is pop a pill and he has all of that in seconds. I just find it extremely uninteresting, because Bourne is a man honed by the challenges he has faced and the vast training he has worked hard to complete, while Cross is just an amateur who resorts to pill-popping to acquire the skills Bourne took years to perfect, from his language skills, shooting, close quarters combat, driving and more. Boring, boring, boring. I never thought Legacy should've happened, and I still feel the same way about its sequel, which might as share its title with our thread here at this point.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Bourne 5 will be released on 14 August 2015 in the USA. Justin Lin directs.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Bourne 5 will be released on 14 August 2015 in the USA. Justin Lin directs.

Good news indeed.
    If the editing isn't trash and the finale isn't anticlimactic again, I'm in.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    If the editing isn't trash and the finale isn't anticlimactic again, I'm in.

I am hoping for something Similar Creasy47
    Here's an interview for 'Captain Phillips' with Paul Greengrass, and he talks about why he will never do another 'Bourne' film:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/paul-greengrass-interview-captain-phillips-bourne-mlk/#more-652006
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Here's an interview for 'Captain Phillips' with Paul Greengrass, and he talks about why he will never do another 'Bourne' film:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/paul-greengrass-interview-captain-phillips-bourne-mlk/#more-652006
    That was interesting. If anything, Greengrass is a sharp man and one great filmmaker, and his reasons for stepping away from the franchise are more than warranted. If only other directors thought like he did, focusing more on what they want to do as a creator than what the studios desire. Much like me and a lot of others, Paul saw that the films ended perfectly, and directing another film would have been exactly what he joked about: The Bourne Redundancy.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, exactly. He had to stretch what he wanted by doing a third film, and he only did it because of how confident he was. Saying he feels that he owes the studio for the success of it all is nice, but knowing he doesn't want to return solely for $$$ is nice to know.
    Why not do like anything else and reboot it entirely?

And I have a confession to make: I quite enjoyed the old TV movie or miniseries with Richard Chamberlain.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,882
    I have only recently watched this film. Stacy Keach is one of my favourite actors, so it was only a matter of time. The film took it's time to get up to speed, but I liked The Bourne Legacy.
    Ludovico wrote:
    And I have a confession to make: I quite enjoyed the old TV movie or miniseries with Richard Chamberlain.

Ah, the one with Jaclyn Smith. Oh yes, I like that one too.

Ludovico wrote:

Yes me too, I have on dvd for that reason.