Most Overrated TV Show of All Time?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    It was great the first season but by Season 4 one has to wonder: How many ways can Jack save the world? By season 5 it was getting unbelievable and I finally gave up. How it hung around long as it did is beyond me.

I would probably vote for 24 as well. This one really suffered the longer it went on. You can imagine the perhaps better reception it would have had it been just one series. Lightning doesn't strike twice and from Series 3 on you knew every story beat coming a mile away.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Samuel001 and @OHMSS69, albeit overrated, is it still worth a watch at all? The entire series is on Netflix, and I gave it a go a while back but only made it through a few episodes, but would enjoy returning to it.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Samuel001 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    It was great the first season but by Season 4 one has to wonder: How many ways can Jack save the world? By season 5 it was getting unbelievable and I finally gave up. How it hung around long as it did is beyond me.

I would probably vote for 24 as well. This one really suffered the longer it went on. You can imagine the perhaps better reception it would have had it been just one series. Lightning doesn't strike twice and from Series 3 on you knew every story beat coming a mile away.

Agreed. First two seasons were excellent but after that the bigger the plot twist, the bigger the shock, the less you were surprised. The unexpected became expected.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I wouldn't say 24 is overrated. It definitely got weaker and weaker towards the end of it's run but I don't think many people would argue against that and the first few series were worthy of their praise imo.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Samuel001 and @OHMSS69, albeit overrated, is it still worth a watch at all? The entire series is on Netflix, and I gave it a go a while back but only made it through a few episodes, but would enjoy returning to it.

Watch the first series by all means but even after four or five episodes you'll have the concept understood so even then it may start to feel routine.
  • I think @Face is here for an argument...
    Face wrote:
    Can we just start up a discussion?

I'm referencing a Python routine here. No ill will intended or inferred. "That's not an argument." "Yes it is." "No it isn't." Carry on...
    Samuel001 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Agreed. First two seasons were excellent but after that the bigger the plot twist, the bigger the shock, the less you were surprised. The unexpected became expected.

I agree, for all the love Series 5 got by then it was a joke. I could not see what was so special about it. It's just different characters filling the same roles within the same story, sometimes with this changing in the same series! Even the location shifts didn't mean a thing. This all became far too apparent in the second series.

The perfect ending with the characters we cared about was Series 4. After that it should have never came back. After Jack having the President on his phone all the time, Chloe the walking cliche finally killed it dead the moment she appeared for me.

I feel like I'm ranting. To start with it is OK but here, less is more. The slightest of hope may exist for the next series because of this.
    @Samuel001, I may check it out, but predictability like that gets old. I got through the first season of 'Burn Notice' and stopped after a few episodes of season two because I knew how it was going to be: mission after mission of pointlessness, never getting to the ultimate answer he requests because that means game over for the show. He'll spend a whole season doing something to uncover just a slight hint as to who burned him, then he'll spend a season doing the same thing, repeat, repeat, repeat. It got old real fast.
    You've heard the "Where's the bomb!" paradies and we must torture everyone we think is hiding something stuff, so add all that in too and you end up just watching it for the quite good TV action. You're better off sticking on Bond. Nobody does it better.
    @Samuel001, I've heard it has some pretty entertaining action, so I won't hold out for any excellent twists or plots and just look forward to some good fighting/shooting scenes. It's rare that there is good action on TV, from what I've seen.
    @Creasy47 The first series is excellent. Genuinely thrilling. Season 2 is also very good but that's where I stop. It goes downhill from season 3 onwards.
    @Creasy47 The first series is excellent. Genuinely thrilling. Season 2 is also very good but that's where I stop. It goes downhill from season 3 onwards.

Well if it starts going downhill around season three, and there are eight seasons, that's really saying something, and is much worse than the case of 'Dexter,' which had four great seasons and four bad ones.
    Even in the second series you have one character in CTU giving another a hard-time for no reason, then around the middle of the series the character than was having a go, switches rolls and is barated by a new character brought into the story, so the same boring story device is done for all the episodes. It's that kind of thing that gets tiring, and it's done in a way as if we are not expected to notice. The downfall of 24 is watching it one episode after another on DVD or what have you. Despite what you'd think, it does not benefit from that.

With the few episodes you've watched, I hope you can get the feel of what we mean @Creasy47.
    Creasy, you can't call The Wire overrated if you haven't seen any of it.

Also 24 would be perfect if it ended with the fifth season.

At what point did I state that 'The Wire' was overrated? Please, quote it and show me.

@Samuel001, I can get what you're saying from what I've seen, and I'm sure if I do give it a go and try to make it through the series that it'll be heavily apparent that that is how the show is. I'll still try to give it another shot.

He never said The Wire was overrated, just that he was yet to watch it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Two and a half men. should have been canceled when they killed off Charlie.
    Big Bang Theory. Used to be really good, now it's just going downhill sadly.
    Friends Seinfeld for teens?
    LOST Biggest waste of time.
    Star Trek: Next Gen It's okay for the most part, but the Original 60's Series will be the best of Trek.
    Indeed, Lost lost me in the first season even.

I couldn't get into that either - Lost 'lost' me too..
  • Cheers and Two and a Half Men are the two worst US sitcoms I have seen. Never understood their popularity. About as funny as a case of piles.

Like @Murdock, I thought Two and a Half Men was mostly hilarious with Charlie Sheen. By the time the big blowout with Sheen and the producers happened, the show was running out of steam. And it hasn't gotten any better under Ashton Kutcher's watch. This year Charlie's unknown gay daughter shows up. No thanks.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Cheers and Two and a Half Men are the two worst US sitcoms I have seen. Never understood their popularity. About as funny as a case of piles.

Like @Murdock, I thought Two and a Half Men was mostly hilarious with Charlie Sheen. By the time the big blowout with Sheen and the producers happened, the show was running out of steam. And it hasn't gotten any better under Ashton Kutcher's watch. This year Charlie's unknown gay daughter shows up. No thanks.

Granted I haven't been that invested in Two in a Half Men since Robert Wagner was a guest star.
  • I watched the first episode with Kutcher and haven't watched since. Like Saida, it's lost it's charm.
  • Creasy, you can't call The Wire overrated if you haven't seen any of it.

I do think The Wire is slightly overrated. It was really good but after years of hearing how it was the greatest TV show ever I was slightly let down. I really enjoyed it but it seemed a bit dull and slow sometimes. It was great but there are better shows imo.
    Did you even watch the finale?

The most selfish 'self-sacrifice' I've ever seen. Walter White playing God.

How was it selfish? I think by the end of the series he was probably past redemption but he did everything he could to make things right.

That's the issue I have with the show overall, is it's fatalism. Anti-heroes can work, but when the main character skews so far off in the direction of poor and amoral decision making, I find it not relatable to the human experience.
    Hogan's Heroes - another real stinker to add to the pack.

Dr. Who - cannot stand this cheap trashy show.

Cheers for turning this into a great discussion on mi6.
    Friends, that's the big one. How that show ran for as long as it did is beyond me. And I find all the hooha surrounding Mrs Brown's Boys baffling. Then t
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 2,341
    Sitcoms anyone?
    I liked Seinfeld (discovered it on DVD) and I enjoyed Home Improvement early on.

Lately the new sitcoms just don't make me laugh. I hear all the raving about shows like How I met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Two Broke Girls and I just don't get the humor.

The heyday for sitcoms were the 60's and 70's. Now and then you can find a rose in a bed of thornes (Like Home Improvement) but for the most part. All Sitcoms now are overrated and suck anal gas.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

I do think The Wire is slightly overrated. It was really good but after years of hearing how it was the greatest TV show ever I was slightly let down. I really enjoyed it but it seemed a bit dull and slow sometimes. It was great but there are better shows imo.

I never found The Wire dull, I love BB but The Wire for me is the benchmark and every season was as compelling as the next, the scope of that series and the way that it all counted episodes or even seasons later, I think we are unlikely to see it's like for a long time. If you don't like a leisurely pace then you are going to have a problem but the writing, the performances and the story gripped me from beginning to end, it still remains my favourite series.

Soprano's with far more complex and Gandolfini's performance easily equals if not eclipses Cranston compelling portrayal.

I think BB is great but it's greatest TV show of all time plaudits are going to wear thin, it's in danger of becoming The Dark Knight of TV and those who come to it at a later date might wonder what all the fuss is about. I don't think it's as complex as some make out, I look forward to seeing it again but topping The Wire & Soprano's? it's just too far fetched for it to age and be respected like those 2 series.

As for overrated Lost, 24 & Dexter became utter junk after season 4.
    Some more comments on 24...
    I agree that they should have stopped at season 4. Season 5 got all the love but I threw in the towel after 20 episodes. I did not care what happened in the final 4 episodes. I was so fed up with the show by that time.

Season 2 got old with "The Perils of Kim" (anyone recall the cougar?) I thought they were trying too hard to top the innuagural season.
    Season 3 was an improvement over season 2 and I enjoyed season 4 completely. It was almost as good as the supreb First Season.

• edited October 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I really enjoy 24 but I've noticed that, for me, the odd numbered seasons are the better ones.

The second half of season 2 in particular felt like padding. As if the writers were trying to get to 24 episodes...but season 6 is IMO the weakest.

Eventhough I do like 24 perhaps ill admit it is overrated a bit.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I really enjoy 24 but I've noticed that, for me, the odd numbered seasons are the better ones.

Absolutely. 5, 1 and 3 are my top 3. Then 2 and 4, then 7 and 8, and then the horrific 6.