Connery's Most Ruthless Moments

Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 40,371
Branching off the Brosnan topic, wanted to see what everyone thought were some great ruthless moments by Connery's Bond.

I think my favorite one is playing cards and waiting for Dent to arrive, only to deliver that beautiful Smith & Wesson line, followed by killing him on the carpet. Classic.

Comments

@Creasy47: Nice topic! However, you might want to fix the Craig's Bond thing to Connery's Bond.
    Wow, that may actually be it right there- I can't think of a better one at the moment. The set up- the waiting- and the eventual kill. It was RUTHLESS and I loved it!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 40,371
    @Creasy47: Nice topic! However, you might want to fix the Craig's Bond thing to Connery's Bond.
    Thanks for noticing! Fixed :)

@Master_Dahark, it really is amazing. Even setting up the pillows and the bed sheets in such a way to make Dent think he really is there.
    @Creasy47: You're welcome! And yes, the elimination of Professor Dent definitely ranks up their with the best!
    Here are a few others I thought of:
    -Strangling Jacques Bouvar
    -Knocking Peter Franks over the railing
    -Stabbing Dr. No's guard in the swamp
    Oh yeah, love the death of the guard in the swamp. Very brutal. The fight between he and Peter Franks ranks up there with my Top 5 favorite fights. Just early shades of how brutal Craig's Bond turned into.
    @Creasy47: Yeah, it's made even better when Bond has to explain his actions to Honey, who can't get the death out of her mind.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The killing of Vargos and the physical fight with Grant are also two of Connery's (and Bond's) best.
    @Creasy47: Yeah, it's made even better when Bond has to explain his actions to Honey, who can't get the death out of her mind.
    'Why' 'Because I had to' lol simple, badass and to the point! Perhaps Dr. No is better than I give it credit for- 2 of his most brutal moments are in that film
    @Samuel001: Vargas' death is a ruthless moment indeed! I love how quick he picks up the spear gun and fires- without even aiming!

@Master_Dahark: Yeah, Dr. No holds some very ruthless moments to its credit!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Shooting Dent
    Slapping Tanya
    Choking Marie
    The more I think about it, the more ruthless Connery was.
    A few good ones:
    * Killing that other spy in the steamer in TB. Sean made a joke of it- but that's a hell of a way to go!
    * Slapping Tatania in FRWL- only Sean could pull a scene like that off! (Possibly because he does that in real life? LOL Just kidding, low blow)
    * Bond vs Grant- that was a REAL fight- no karate chops and dainty fancy kicks- just 2 guys trying to kill each other with their bare hands- awesome.
    * DAF, Tiffany suspects Bond is a cop- SLAP! That's no cop!

That freaking spider in Dr No! Most violent death in the whole series!

But seriously, I think killing Dent wins, for me
    Let's not forget the pre-title sequence of Diamonds Are Forever! How ruthless can you get? Hunting down Blofeld's contacts, choking Marie, smothering the man in the mud bath, throwing surgical knives into the guard, drowning "Blofeld" in the burning goop. Man! That's a load of ruthless Connery!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2011 Posts: 28,694
    I love anything related to Connery's Bond. Thanks @Creasy. So many good ones have been taken, but here it goes:

-Bond lights Mr. Wint on fire, them blows up Kidd while Tiffany looks on like a dumb bi-..I'll stop.
    -Bond uses Fiona as a shield and makes her take the bullet of death whilst they are dancing.
    -Bond savages Grant
    A few good ones:
    * Killing that other spy in the steamer in TB. Sean made a joke of it- but that's a hell of a way to go!
    Except he didn't kill him in the steamer. He was apparently let out (off camera) Fiona killed him in the car.
    I love anything related to Connery's Bond. Thanks @Creasy. So many good ones have been taken, but here it goes:

-Bond lights Mr. Wint on fire, them blows up Kidd while Tiffany looks on like a dumb bi-..I'll stop.
    -Bond uses Fiona as a shield and makes her take the bullet of death whilst they are dancing.
    -Bond savages Grant
    No problem, glad you're enjoying it. I agree with Kidd and Wint, Tiffany was beyond pointless in that scene. Love Fiona's death, too. So ruthless, just doesn't care at all.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 4,813

Except he didn't kill him in the steamer. He was apparently let out (off camera) Fiona killed him in the car.
    Are you sure? Maybe I need to see it again but I distinctly remember it being a wink at the audience when the Nurse said 'he died of a heart attack' and Connery just shrugs 'I'm not surprised'
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Bouvar fight and final fight with Largo... Furniture and people flying around in both !!
    Bond was never again to be so cold and ruthless as the killing of Professor Dent. It was that scene that hooked me forever as a Bond fan.
    @CrabKey, I don't know about all that. Sure, it was an iconic, mesmerizing scene, but there were plenty of equally ruthless scenes to come out of the other Bond's eras. Just look at Moore killing Locque in FYEO: could have pulled him out of the car and brought him in, but instead, he just kicked the car right off the side of the cliff. Ruthless and brutal.
    We all know The Master's best moments. I'm not going to dignify this with a response ;)
    We all know The Master's best moments. I'm not going to dignify this with a response ;)
    Works for me! :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    We all know The Master's best moments.
    This thread is about Connery, not Moore... :-?
    All the other Bond's (Moore included) will say Connery is the master - and I say this as a big fan of Pierce Brosnan.
    All the other Bond's (Moore included) will say Connery is the master - and I say this as a big fan of Pierce Brosnan.
    Indeed. I'm one of the biggest Brosnan fans you will find, and I will agree that Connery is the master.
    Don't know which planet you live on, but here, Roger Moore IS the master.
    It's a pretty close tie. I think I do like more Moore (see what I did there?!) Bond films than I do Connery. Not sure, though, it's a real close tie.
    It's a pretty close tie. I think I do like more Moore (see what I did there?!) Bond films than I do Connery. Not sure, though, it's a real close tie.
    Good man ! I have 4 Moore films in my top 7 !
    Nice! Might I ask which?
    TMWTGG #1
    MR #2
    TSWLM #6
    FYEO #7