Who could've done a Bond theme?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Kate Bush would have been a really good choice and she was in fact considered for Moonraker before Shirley Basset got the gig. Really a big shame that it never came to pass as she has one of the most beautiful voices of any female singer you care to mention.

Basset ??????

Sorry. Fixed that. Must have had sweets on my mind!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Kate Bush would have been a really good choice and she was in fact considered for Moonraker before Shirley Basset got the gig. Really a big shame that it never came to pass as she has one of the most beautiful voices of any female singer you care to mention.

Basset ??????

You don't have to apologise it takes Allsorts !
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Basset ??????

You don't have to apologise it takes Allsorts !

Ha! Good comeback. That's what happens when you start work at 5.20 am on a Saturday morning I guess.
    George Harrison

Art of Dying is pretty much how I want the next bond theme to sound
  • oo7oo7
    oo7 wrote:
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/2SH0pVVBmN0?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/2SH0pVVBmN0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    pushing
    Perdogg wrote:
    I think had there been a Bond in 1991 or 1992 Lisa Stansfield would have been perfect especially with John Barry writing the music.
    Have you seen the film Indecent Proposal? Keeping in mind we mostly want British,

I think that, in their primetime? they could have done it - Elton John, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, Queen, Kate Bush, Alvin & the Chipmunks for James Bond Jr.

Isn't Lisa from Manchester?
    Sade.
  • Stock Aitken Waterman
  • Radiohead perhaps.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I'm not shure about who could of done a bond theme but I've just heard on the radio
    I belong to you by Caro Emerald don't know anything about her but what a song !
    It's got a Bond theme written all over it give it a listen if you get the chance.
  • Has Kirsty MacColl ever been mentioned ?

There was a song of hers on the radio yesterday and I thought at once of this thread, and 'why not her'

Sadly, Kirsty will never have an opportunity to do a future Bond theme, but at some point in the past she would of been a great candidate to have been given a go. Had quite a unique voice and had been a fine musical talent. It's a pity she was never even considered

• Sade instead of Rita Coolidge for OP. And preferably an entirely different song.

Cassandra Wilson instead of White/Keys for QOS. And definitely a different song.

Karen Carpenter instead of Nancy Sinatra singing YOLT.

Melissa Manchester instead of Lulu in Gun. A different song, too.

Patty Smyth instead of Sheena Easton singing FYEO.

• edited October 2013 Posts: 157
    Not sure about Patty Smyth, but a Patti Smith Bond theme would've been out of this world. FYEO isn't bad, but I'd have preferred a different song.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Madonna COULD have done a Bond theme.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    I'm not shure about who could of done a bond theme but I've just heard on the radio
    I belong to you by Caro Emerald don't know anything about her but what a song !
    It's got a Bond theme written all over it give it a listen if you get the chance.

I highly recommend both of her albums. I fell in love with her voice the moment I heard The Other Woman on the radio.
  • Not sure about Patty Smyth, but a Patti Smith Bond theme would've been out of this world. FYEO isn't bad, but I'd have preferred a different song.

Really like the song, but Sheena couldn't do it justice, much the way Nancy struggled with YOLT.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tokoloshe wrote:
    Queen would have been awful!
    Awful indeed.

Ultravox in the early 80s would have been great.
    Michael Jackson could have done a great Bond song.
  • Tokoloshe wrote:
    Queen would have been awful!
    Awful indeed.

Ultravox in the early 80s would have been great.

Or better yet, in the late 70s.

Always preferred the John Foxx era myself.
  • The band Muse. They could sound seductive and bad ass-- perfect for Bond.

I like their style in which they build up tension and emotion:
    Bryan Ferry
    The Pet Shop Boys?
    edited November 2013 Posts: 45,489
    As much as I like you and respect you, Dragonpol, your suggestions are terrible.
    Muse or Bryan Ferry would be great. And Minormajor, the John Foxx era was good, but my favourite Ultravox album is probably Rage In Eden, and that sound was very appropriate for Bond, albeit maybe not during the Moore era.
    That Bryan Ferry track is by the way an Ultravox cover. From the Foxx period!
  • Smashing Pumpkins are my fav band, perhaps something like Disarm could work as a 007 theme if the powers-that-be want to experiment.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,727
    As much as I like you and respect you, Dragonpol, your suggestions are terrible.
    Muse or Bryan Ferry would be great. And Minormajor, the John Foxx era was good, but my favourite Ultravox album is probably Rage In Eden, and that sound was very appropriate for Bond, albeit maybe not during the Moore era.
    That Bryan Ferry track is by the way an Ultravox cover. From the Foxx period!

Thank you, but yes, I guess they were pretty terrible. I think MJ was a great musician though, and I see little controversial about that as an opinion. I put that question mark at the end of the Pet Shops Boys' name for a reason - I guess it was meant a bit tongue in cheek.
    I see. But I did agree about Kate Bush. She can still do it.
    I see. But I did agree about Kate Bush. She can still do it.

Yes, certainly. She's got a very beautiful voice.
    Three singers/songwriters who should do a Bond film.

All three write great lyrics and create great music.

SEAL
    STING
    GEORGE MICHAEL
    Shade.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Three singers/songwriters who should do a Bond film.

All three write great lyrics and create great music.

SEAL
    STING
    GEORGE MICHAEL

I agree about Sting.