Breaking Bad/El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019) Discussion

Comments

• edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    1) Series 4
    2) Series 5
    3) Series 3
    4) Series 1
    5) Series 2

Oh, and I missed Gus when I was talking about my favourite characters. And here's a brilliant letter from Anthony Hopkins.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/breaking-bad-sir-anthony-hopkins-tells-bryan-cranston-you-are-the-best-actor-ever-8880926.html
    Creasy47 wrote:
    IHad the ending spoiled for me in TWO different locations online yesterday, and I just hit season four of the show.

Were they Breaking Bad articles though? If it's on some random site then fair enough but I think if you read press stories or (especially) comment sections about an extremely popular TV show that's just ended then you should expect spoilers. I avoided anything about the show online once the finale came out because I wasn't going to watch it for a few days.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, nope. I was going to check my Yahoo e-mail and the number one article was a fake obituary written for a character that dies at the very end of the series finale. I was bitter.

But, I finished the series finale yesterday, and what a fantastic show. Some things irk me about it, but it was still a wonderful ride.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @Creasy47 That is a shame. Sorry it was spoilt for you.
    I thought from the start that Walt would die but I was completely taken of guard by how it happened.

It was tragic really. After everything he managed to survive, what finally finished him off? One stray bullet from a machine gun he set up.

One of the best moments of the finale for me was him admitting to Skylar that he did it for himself. That's what I've thought for a while now (see my post on the other page). He might have started cooking meth because he wanted to help his family but if that was really the only reason, he would've quit a long time ago.
    That's why I love the evolution of Walt: do a couple of cooks in a run-down RV to make over $700,000 for his family when he's gone. Nobody knows, he's in and out, and he can die peacefully. But, as more and more sinister characters are introduced and he starts to make more and more money, that's when he goes from doing it for his family to doing it for himself. Such a fantastic transition.
    I truly believe he started it for his family, but I love that he finally admitted that he did it for myself. My favorite part of the finale. I don't remember where I read this, but Vince Gilliagan pointed this out. There's a moment in season 3 after his cancer went into remission that Walt decided to shave his head even though his hair was growing back. Looking back that is such a powerful character beat it's astounding
    I think he started for his family but by the end of series 1 at least part of him was doing it for himself. I think this (badass) scene, where he becomes Heisenberg, was probably the turning point for Walt as a character.

I find it hilarious how all that happened in series 5b could've been avoided if Hank hadn't needed a shit.

If he'd just held it in until he got home, or if he'd just sat there or played Angry Birds or something instead of grabbing something to read, then everybody would've been better off.
    @thelivingroyale, or if (and it still bugs me) he had just used the family bathroom down the hall.
    Hank was going to find out sooner or later. Walt was too cocky/messy at that point. Somebody would have named him or Walt would have done something else stupid
    @bondbat007, I was waiting for it, because I knew Hank would have to find out at some point, I just think it sucks, the conveniency of it: Hank going into their bedroom to use the bathroom, and conveniently spotting the book that Walt was too foolish to hide away.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Breaking bad is for me the best show I've ever seen. so addictive, I watched season 4 in 2 days. the show is just... wow! one of the rare shows that each season is better than the previous season.
    This is the greatest thing I have ever seen

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen

That's Aaron Paul!? I hadn't gotten into 'Breaking Bad' until a month or two ago, but I've seen that picture so many times. I agree, that is one of the best things my eyes have ever seen. If you've watched the entire show, you should check out the bloopers. I love seeing the comedic chemistry between Cranston and Paul.

@DaltonCraig007, I'm with you on that. Shows usually start to get weak, dull, etc. around the fourth or fifth season, but this show just kept chugging along with no end to its greatness. One of, if not the, best shows I've ever watched.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2013 Posts: 15,686
    http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/anthony-hopkins-wrote-fan-letter-bryan-cranston-breaking-bad-team-binge-watching/

even Anthony Hopkins says Cranston's performance is the best he's scene in his life! :o
    I saw that a few weeks ago. If Hopkins, one of the greatest actors of all time, gives a statement like that, it's fact.
    Something tells me that Hopkins letter wasn't supposed to get out. It was deleted from the Facebook page it was posted on a few hours after it was posted. But I'm so glad I got to read that. It shows how great this show really is to everybody
    @bondbat007, that's true, but I hope it's not because he was ashamed of it. It was lovely to read and I'm sure it was touching to the cast and crew.
  • They filmed a brilliant alternate ending for the DVD

edited November 2013 Posts: 40,368
    Imagine the kick to the nuts if that was the real ending, haha. Nice to see they can have some fun, though. If you haven't gotten around to it, watch the bloopers for the seasons, they're hilarious.

"Is that you at my back door?"
    "I'm the one who's knocking..."
    Wow, what amazing fan service that is. Also it's great to see Cranston back as Hal after all of these years of Breaking Bad
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 11,189
    My Blu Ray boxset arrived yesterday. It's good to finally have all the episodes in one collection but I'm disappointed with the packaging. As with my Bond 50 DVD boxset this has crappy pieces of round tape that you have to peel back. WHY do they use these?
    I think the 'Breaking Bad Collection' is overpriced, considering you can get all the seasons for less than $100, which is over 50% off the Complete Edition. I was debating getting them, but as amazing as the show is, I don't know how often I'll return to watch it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think the 'Breaking Bad Collection' is overpriced, considering you can get all the seasons for less than $100, which is over 50% off the Complete Edition. I was debating getting them, but as amazing as the show is, I don't know how often I'll return to watch it.

I can appreciate that. I think BB and The Wire (especially The Wire) are the two best things ever but they're not like Kid A or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or any album where I can revisit the whole thing over the course of say, a train trip.
    I just don't revisit shows as often as I'd like. I have no problem returning to watch a show I've seen in the past in its entirety, it just takes me a long while, so it's hard for me to justify spending roughly $100 if I won't touch them for a while.

Then again, I've amassed nearly 220 blu-rays now, and there's some I got years ago that I haven't even touched, and the catalogue just grows and grows.
    Just for a bit of fun. Imagine if, over Christmas, they made a Breaking Bad version of It's a Wonderful Life? Obviously Walt would be George Bailey but here are my other casting suggestions:

-Sal as Clarence
    -Mike as Nick the barman
    -Hank as Mr Potter
    -Jesse as Uncle Harry (he gets in trouble a lot).
    New film coming to Netflix on October 11th:

• Creasy47 wrote: »
    New film coming to Netflix on October 11th:

Wasn't sure about this but the trailer has sold me. The show didn't really have time to explore how damaged Jesse was by what happened in the last series so it could be interesting.

I wonder if it'll tie into Better Call Saul (has anyone else been watching that? It's brilliant, a very different show but still on par with Breaking Bad imo). We have been getting those flashforwards at the start of each series showing him post BB. What if that was all one long set up for this movie?
    HOLY SHIT. I am very excited for this. BB is the greatest TV show in history. It had the perfect story. I do wonder if it will tie to BCS with the Gene story line. I would not be mad also if Walter lived. The TV show can still be the best ever with him actually being alive. I know Gilligan said he hates fake outs so I dont think Walter is alive but I could see Walter in flashbacks.
  • fjdinardo wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT. I am very excited for this. BB is the greatest TV show in history. It had the perfect story. I do wonder if it will tie to BCS with the Gene story line. I would not be mad also if Walter lived. The TV show can still be the best ever with him actually being alive. I know Gilligan said he hates fake outs so I dont think Walter is alive but I could see Walter in flashbacks.

I think he'll definitely be in it via flashbacks/hallucinations. No way they'd do this without getting Bryan Cranston back somehow. But no chance is he alive. There's nowhere left for him to go at all. After "I did it for me" and him finally finishing all those Scarface parallels with the ending (isn't there a scene where he's literally sat watching it at some point? If it wasn't obvious before then that made it pretty clear how the show would end), I think his story is done.

I don't see how they could go down the route of him being alive anyway even if he wanted to. His cancer was back, the bullet had at least immobilised him even if it hadn't killed him and he was surrounded by police. Even if he was rushed to a hospital, had lifesaving surgery and his cancer went back into remission, he'd be in prison with no chance of escape. The last real criminal contacts he had were the nazis and he killed them. So there'd be no way for him to be involved in Jesse's story now if he was alive.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Wow this is going to be good. I love BB and have really enjoyed BCS (side note is a new season on the way?). I admire what Aaron Paul did with the Jesse character. I just watched the episode in Season 4 where he confesses to the killing of the "dog" and it's just riveting stuff.

I can't wait for this movie to come out.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 1,395
    thedove wrote: »
    Wow this is going to be good. I love BB and have really enjoyed BCS (side note is a new season on the way?). I admire what Aaron Paul did with the Jesse character. I just watched the episode in Season 4 where he confesses to the killing of the "dog" and it's just riveting stuff.

I can't wait for this movie to come out.

Huge Breaking Bad fan as well, can't wait for this film! I believe Season 5 of BCS will be out next April..