Keeping track of befriended members

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited April 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 23,448
Earthmen, Bond fans, friends!

Many of us visit the MI6Community on a daily basis and understandably so. For are we not one of the strongest Bond fan communities in this spiral arm of the Milky Way? (For the record, I have no information about the Andromeda Galaxy but when last I checked, UDFj39546284's Bond fan community is all but swallowed by the supermassive black hole that resides at its centre). And as we come in for a conversation, a drink, a game of blackjack or a spoonful of Beluga Caviare, we make friends and lots of them too. Naturally we know them mostly by their nicknames but then that's the nature of the medium. Even without a face or the sound of a voice, even without a handshake or a home address, we can still develop friendly bonds.

Yet what if one of us encounters a tragic event that upsets his or her life to the point where he or she can suddenly no longer drop by? Even the unspeakable is not outside the realm of the possible and, statistically speaking, the probable - if I may advance such a frightening thought.

So what if suddenly, unexpectedly and without any foretelling sign, one of us were to break all links with the forum? At first we might imagine that a person received such an insult from another member that an old-fashioned sense of pride prevents any further participation on the forum, but then wouldn't we somehow be able to figure that out? To be frank, any sudden disappearance without omens, warnings or threats, causes me to think bad thoughts, especially when PM's do not get answered.

How do you feel about that? Mightn't it be wise to entrust at least one of your closest co-members with some personal details or even to leave behind the email address or something of a good friend or relative? That way, should something terrible unexpectedly come your way, someone here might contact said friend or relative, inquire after your whereabouts and, if so desired, alert the rest of us. This is merely one option: I'm eager to learn about other options from you all.

Good grievance! What if indeed we find out one day that one of our good members has been taken away from us for good? A) Do we believe it? What if it's a prank or one last blow from an ill-tempered member? Can we verify the news? Would we want to? B) Would we rather not know about such things and assume the member has lost his interest in the forum but is otherwise doing well in life? ...

... Questions. I still have them after all those years when dealing in my mind with such issues. Sharing them with you felt like the right thing to do!

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thanks, @Darthdimi. Good to think over, yes. Some members are very much on my mind, ones I haven't seen in awhile.

I am quite a private person, really, and I do not share my personal emails publicly or even give them out often. But two other members here have my private email and my best friend (of something like 40 years) is in charge of my own emails if I am incapacitated in any way (coma or worse; you know, life throws us things at times we never guess ...).

So if I do go AWOL here I will let you know first, if I am able to, like if I need a hiatus. But that is unlikely. If I seem to drop off for no reason given, give it some time. But I have authorized my friend to contact this forum as well as send out to all of my contacts in my personal email a message; just to let people know.

Well, anyway that is what I have done. It does give me some peace of mind. Thanks for this thread.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Thank you for this Dimi, most sincerely. This is a great thing you have done. I have mentioned many times now in the originals thread that I have been worried about my fellow original Kerim and wish I knew where he has been or gone. He loved doing his reviews and our group camaraderie and this isn't like him at all. And not just there with us, many people here know Kerim and appreciate his good cheer and keen sense of humor, I'd like to think he is among the most beloved members here. At our ages as original fans, I am very aware that we are probably more at risk for health issues, and like 4Ever I have someone with access and instructions to notify my friends here and elsewhere in other Forums should I become dead or incapacitated to the point that I cannot participate.

If you or the admins could help with the case of the missing Kerim that would be great for me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This is indeed a very important issue. I have made many great friends in my almost two years here and built a strong bond of Bond with several, but at times I do in fact wonder if something bad has befallen some members who were once frequent contributors but have seemed to fall off the radar for months on end. As I read your eloquent post, @Dimi, my mind instantly shined upon two principal members that seem now wiped off the grid: @Kerim and @DaltonCraig007. It isn't the style of either man to leave without notice, yet in a snap they were gone, the former gone since January, the latter absent from August of last year onwards. Though at times my thoughts drive me to worry, I attempt with all my might to brush it off and stay optimistic. I personally like to think they have both gone to greener pastures; maybe they needed a break, just went to other Bond sites or a golden event in their lives has made them happier and drawn them away from here. Whatever the case, be it by Fleming's dear ghost that nothing severe has taken place in their dear lives and someday soon they come back to us. Until then, they shall all be in my thoughts.

@};-
    Amen. Well said. I hope to forge a friendship with you all only though I am a new poster with palsy. But that won't stop me! These friendships have never mbeen more RIGHT
  • DB5DB5
    Wow. We're getting really deep here all of a sudden. I honestly hadn't thought of this. But you're right, people die. And you raise a good question, if one of our beloved members were to "shuffle off this mortal coil," would we want to know this? Not really sure I have the answer to this question?
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 57
    DB5 I have palsy so any day could be it for me... "light's out". And yes i confess that I have thought about taking the ultimate step.

it is good to know i have friends on here that will say a prayer for me
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DB5 wrote:
    Wow. We're getting really deep here all of a sudden. I honestly hadn't thought of this. But you're right, people die. And you raise a good question, if one of our beloved members were to "shuffle off this mortal coil," would we want to know this? Not really sure I have the answer to this question?

Yes, it is a weird thing to debate, isn't it? We are so used to paying our respects to famous men and women in our Rest in peace threads on here, but what if one day it was one of our own agents we had to mourn?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    While it's a dark, saddening thought to encounter, it's one we most certainly need to handle. A lot of you have a special place in my life, and when I joined this site, I never would have thought that I would have made so many great friendships that would have developed from the same strong love of James Bond that I have. One day, I would enjoy meeting quite a few of you, and if one day, something happens to any of you - or, hell, even me - that makes it that we cannot return, I wish you the safest, grandest of luck in whatever takes place.

It's quite funny reading this now, because my girlfriend was going to head out to do some early college unpacking at home after brunch today, and we had a bit of a disagreement over something very idiotic. She stormed off and returned to me as I was smoking, and told me the exact same thing about regretting last words and all of that. It's nice to hear it from you all, too, but on a lighter note, it's too much 'If this is the last time...' talk for me in a 24 hour span!! :))
    Well, we don't want to dwell on potential sad events, but things do happen. It was helpful to me to figure out who I wanted to get notified, including this forum, if I simply cannot communicate myself anymore. But if you don't let a friend know to do that, if your friend doesn't know which forum(s) to contact or how to get into your personal emails to send a message out, then probably many people (email contacts, not just this forum) may be left wondering.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    It is a very sad idea but one we have to face. I too wonder about some of our missing members. @DarthDimi is completely right, we should keep contact with at least one members outside the forum. One of the missing ones became a friend and we mantain contact on a regular basis (TrueMiracle85). There is one other member, my "neighbor" Germanlady, that can contact me by other means and I have regular contact with Marketto via Facebook.
    In case some unfortunate thing should happen (heaven forbid) there should always be someone here who is able to give notice.
    Its astounishing, how you develop friendships over the net. Strong enough to trust people to fly across the ocean to meet. I did that and so did several others to meet at my house. 6 at some time. Each one of them was a blast. Like in real life, of those friendships some last, others don't. But its worth meeting up for sure. I had the time of my life each single time, we did it and we did several takes on that.

I wonder, that this big forum, much larger then mine, didn't really get that done so far. There are enough people, I would imagine, that live in one country and where it is not such a hazzle to actually get together. try it, what's to loose? I have experienced, that people. whom you like here are likable in real life as well. :)

In my forum, I have given orders to my daughter, who has access, to give notice.

@Brady: I think and hope, that Dalton/Craig has been banned.
    @Germanlady, one day ;)
    @DaltonCraig007 isn't banned, and I don't think he should be ever, if he returns that is. Without him there is a void, and I truly miss his unmatched love for Sir Roger Moore. Like I said, I don't care if he chose to leave, that is his choice. I just hope he is in good health and quite well off at the present moment wherever life's opportunities have taken him.

It would indeed be an interesting affair if some of us met up. I seriously couldn't imagine a more cracking experience than getting all the veterans here together for a complete Bond marathon of all the films back to back.
    It would indeed be an interesting affair if some of us met up. I seriously couldn't imagine a more cracking experience than getting all the veterans here together for a complete Bond marathon of all the films back to back.

Someone just has to take over, suggest the way and location to do it and that's it. You could do it. Maybe someone has a big house and can have them at his place. Or have some and others at a hotel. That's how i did it.

For me, I'd love to save money and fly to London for the Bond 24 premiere. and meeting up with MI6 members at that time. :D I am seriously considering that (but then that's another thread, isn't it?).
    For me, I'd love to save money and fly to London for the Bond 24 premiere. and meeting up with MI6 members at that time. :D I am seriously considering that (but then that's another thread, isn't it?).

I would love to do that when I am older as well. I feel like I am meant to be in London.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007 isn't banned, and I don't think he should be ever, if he returns that is. Without him there is a void, and I truly miss his unmatched love for Sir Roger Moore. Like I said, I don't care if he chose to leave, that is his choice. I just hope he is in good health and quite well off at the present moment wherever life's opportunities have taken him.

@DaltonCraig007 at one point decided to take another path but he wasn't banned. I have tried to talk him into coming back but it didn't help.

DarthDimi wrote:

@DaltonCraig007 at one point decided to take another path but he wasn't banned. I have tried to talk him into coming back but it didn't help.

Oh. Well, I assume he is good then? That is the only matter I care about.

I would love to do that when I am older as well. I feel like I am meant to be in London.

I would love to do that!
    Oh. Well, I assume he is good then? That is the only matter I care about.

I'm fairly confident he's doing all right.

Can I offer an opinion? I really think you people should find a better place to meet.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I kid you not though, I have recently been thinking it would be good to somehow meet people with the same level of passion for all things Bond. I meet a lot of people all the time and many of them like the Bond movies but very few, infact hardly any that I meet, like it so much as to be able to talk about it for hours on end without them starting to get worried about you!

I know I'm not a frequent poster here and don't really "know" anyone here but all the more reason to arrange a meet up? I have even in the past looked for Bond related "meet ups" at meetup.com to no avail, at least not anywhere in my area/country (UK). Personally I'd be up for it even it meant travelling quite some distance within my country. The fact we love Bond wouldn't guarantee we would get on but it would give us a good chance!

As a suggestion I could start a meet up group on the above mentioned website and then if anyone wants to join they can!? To be honest I'll probably do this regardless.

Finally, sorry for taking this thread in a slightly different direction than was intended!
    it is good to know i have friends on here that will say a prayer for me

I hate to spoil the fun but you joined yesterday. It may take a little longer to make friends... ;-)

However that may be (because yes, I think real friendship takes some time to develop), you are welcome and I hope you feel this a friendly forum. :)>-

Helpful hint: You may enjoy looking at the threads using the Categories button, it will give you an easy way to look at what we are discussing here (many topics to choose from).
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    In the word of the late @Christartos (and his other equivalents), you all are among friends here. We are all here for a reason: James Bond, and I hope you all will stay here, as I am.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Brady and @Dimi, I'm sorry if you were wondering if I was doing alright during all this time! I took a (very) long break from 007, and I am back as a renewed person!
    @DaltonCraig007, welcome back! :-) You made us curious about your whereabouts but now we're assured that you're OK. Happy to have you with us again. :-)
  • Now if we would only learn whatever happened to our dear Kerim :(
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Or PrinceKamalKhan...
  • Yes, we haven't seen PKK in awhile either.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You're right, it has been a while. Hopefully PKK returns soon.