Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

I grew up with Moore, witnessed Dalton, and watched the series get revitalized with Brosnan and now given new credibility with Craig. Went back and discovered Connery who wipes the floor with all of them but Pierce was a decent fit for the role if not a phenomenal actor.

I don't care what anyone says, Lazenby tried to be too much like Connery and, as a result, was a poor man's Connery. Moore put his own stamp on the role, like it or loathe it, Dalton and Craig have gone down the same path but Dalton never quite pulled it off for me. Controversial as that may be on here but Dalton never cut it for me despite being the best actor to take the role, he just didn't pull it off well. Craig is doing a better version of the same thing and I know Craig has had the advantage of starting the character from scratch but, overall, I actually prefer Pierce to Dalton and Lazenby and that's despite LTK being my 3rd fave Bond movie.

Ultimately, Lazenby was the only so so Bond, everyone else has done well or were great.
    Richardo wrote:
    Mr. Brosnan is of excellence- upon this may we all agree.

Well no, may we all not, hence the number of naysayers.
    Richardo wrote:

I'm with the direct above, in that we (all) can not agree that Pierce Brosnan was an 'excellent' Bond. It's well recognized that Mr Brosnan is one of my least favorite of all the Bond actors to portray the iconic Fleming character, but that's no disservice to the man himself, as I realize Brosnan is an actor of caliber, but it simply didn't work out for him in the role of Bond. I'm sorry
    Richardo wrote:

I'm with the direct above, in that we (all) can not agree that Pierce Brosnan was an 'excellent' Bond. It's well recognized that Mr Brosnan is one of my least favorite of all the Bond actors to portray the iconic Fleming character, but that's no disservice to the man himself, as I realize Brosnan is an actor of caliber, but it simply didn't work out for him in the role of Bond. I'm sorry

My issue is the way he said it. It comes across to me as "Brosnan is excellent and that can't be denied."
    Well to be fair, I may have said at some point in time on these pages, that Timothy Dalton is an excellent Bond and can't be disputed, so I guess it works both ways.

I can appreciate why some hold Brosnan in such high regard as 007, but he simply didn't work out for me, and one of the least plausible (Bond actors) in the role of all that undertook it. I apologize again, but have to be truthful with myself
  • AliAli
    Brosnan is still my favourite Bond. He's like a Bond Greatedt Hits.Connory's looks and style, Moore's humour with a little hint of Craig's brutality that would come. He also, when allowed to, brought more empathy and emotion than any of the others, fleeting as it was through the lousy scripts.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I like Brosnan and I like Brosnan's Bond, but I think he was more like a plastic doll at times than a great Bond. He looked well in a magazine cover way, he often moved like he was on a catwalk and he talked like he was calming you down over the phone. And you know what, I think that that was quite al right and that his Bond served well in for example GE and TND. But angry Brosnan was difficult to fall for, emotional Brosnan even more. He had his moments and I'm certainly not a Brosnan hater, far from it in fact, but he always felt sterile, unadventurous, safe and predictable to me. It was good, but it's good that it was. When I had seen Craig in the CR PTS, I instantly knew that - wow! - this Bond was going to revitalise things, like a cool shower on an exhaustingly hot day.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 63
    It's funny. People act like Brosnan is the worst; he's not. He's the best.
  • Brosnan is a decent actor but his Bond movies (especially last 3) and script are so generic akin to the derivative 90s blockbusters. In addition, he has some facial expressions which are laughable.

Answering the question, he isn't a bad Bond, but his potrayal lacks something distinct.
    Think about this: Connery = suave, coolness and alpha maleness; Moore = light humor and one liners; Dalton = realism, Fleminesque and brooding; and Craig = rugged, intense and charismatic. What about Brosnan? Even a Lazenby has an identity-- a raw, amateur actor in a good and "emotional" Bond movie.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2013 Posts: 17,727
    Brosnan is a decent actor but his Bond movies (especially last 3) and script are so generic akin to the derivative 90s blockbusters. In addition, he has some facial expressions which are laughable.

Answering the question, he isn't a bad Bond, but his potrayal lacks something distinct.
    Think about this: Connery = suave, coolness and alpha maleness; Moore = light humor and one liners; Dalton = realism, Fleminesque and brooding; and Craig = rugged, intense and charismatic. What about Brosnan? Even a Lazenby has an identity-- a raw, amateur actor in a good and "emotional" Bond movie.

How about Brosnan's "Paddy Ashdown squint" as noted by a UK BBC talk show host in 1999 at the time of TWINE and Bond's escape from the banker's office in the PTS set in Bilbao, Spain.
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    Brosnan is a decent actor but his Bond movies (especially last 3) and script are so generic akin to the derivative 90s blockbusters. In addition, he has some facial expressions which are laughable.

How about Brosnan's "Paddy Ashdown squint" as noted by a UK BBC talk show host in 1999 at the time of TWINE and Bond's escape from the banker's office in the PTS set in Bilbao, Spain.

How about Sean Connery's Jetpack escape> Brosnan's banker office escape. I have to google Ashdown since I'm not from the UK. And I have to say I prefer Moore's eyebrow http://www.hazzamon.co.uk/roger.html ;)

Brosnan's Bond is like a collage of the rest of the actors. Nothing really stands out in his portrayal
    Dragonpol wrote:

How about Sean Connery's Jetpack escape> Brosnan's banker office escape. I have to google Ashdown since I'm not from the UK. And I have to say I prefer Moore's eyebrow http://www.hazzamon.co.uk/roger.html ;)

Brosnan's Bond is like a collage of the rest of the actors. Nothing really stands out in his portrayal

Paddy Ashdown used to be the Leader of the Liberal Democrats in the UK. He's now a peer in the House of Lords.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    How about Sean Connery's Jetpack escape> Brosnan's banker office escape.

Couldn't disagree more. In TWINE we get the bankers office scene which actually has some tension followed by a real stunt with Bond casually walking off looking as cool as ever.

In TB we get Bond fighting a tranny and it's an entertaining fight but it's mainly just stuff being broken and/or knocked over. This is then followed by Bond running outside to a conveniently parked jetpack (is that really the best method of escape he could think of?), where he even takes the time to put his helmet on, and then he flies away with dodgy 60s back projection used to make it look like it was Connery, then he gets in his DB5 and takes out the baddies using water.

Brosnan wins this one I think ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, it isn't because I love Brosnan, but I agree with you on that: the TWINE PTS escape is leagues better than TB's.
    I thought Pierce was a great Bond. My favorite Bond film is TWINE. I just felt Bad for him cuz his last Bond film was such a shit way to go out on and the guy deserved to do a 5th film and have a better send off, but the producers basicly pushed him out leaving a bad taste in Pierces mouth with the producers

Couldn't disagree more. In TWINE we get the bankers office scene which actually has some tension followed by a real stunt with Bond casually walking off looking as cool as ever.

In TB we get Bond fighting a tranny and it's an entertaining fight but it's mainly just stuff being broken and/or knocked over. This is then followed by Bond running outside to a conveniently parked jetpack (is that really the best method of escape he could think of?), where he even takes the time to put his helmet on, and then he flies away with dodgy 60s back projection used to make it look like it was Connery, then he gets in his DB5 and takes out the baddies using water.

As much as I like the PTS to Thunderball (it may even be my favourite) I tend to agree. It's a great example of Brosnan Bond using his ingenuity to get out of a snake pit situation and a locked room mystery, if you will.

You make a great point. Given how much noise it creates, it always amazes me that he was able to fly the jet pack onto that balcony without alerting the chateau staff in the first place. Connery only put the helmet on as the stuntman refused to fly the jet pack without one, despite Cubby's plea.

You make a great point. Given how much noise it creates, it always amazes me that he was able to fly the jet pack onto that balcony without alerting the chateau staff in the first place. Connery only put the helmet on as the stuntman refused to fly the jet pack without one, despite Cubby's plea.

I always thgought that another agent had climbed up and set it there or perhaps that Bond had. It would indeed have made way too much noise.
    Dragonpol wrote:

I always thgought that another agent had climbed up and set it there or perhaps that Bond had. It would indeed have made way too much noise.

But it looked like it weighed half a ton. What did he do, climb up the drainpipe with one hand and the jet pack with the other?
    Dragonpol wrote:

But it looked like it weighed half a ton. What did he do, climb up the drainpipe with one hand and the jet pack with the other?

I know and I see your point. It's one of those plot points where one is better not to give the matter too much thought - like who was filming the helicopter and the intruder space ship in YOLT for instance, but that's a whole other can of worms!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I know and I see your point. It's one of those plot points where one is better not to give the matter too much thought - like who was filming the helicopter and the intruder space ship in YOLT for instance, but that's a whole other can of worms!

Oh yes! Those have always bugged the hell out of me.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Oh yes! Those have always bugged the hell out of me.

Though it's perhaps not all that surprising as YOLT is surely one of the more "no-brainer" Bond films!
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 63
    In TB we get Bond fighting a tranny
    He is not a "tranny"; he's a man in drag. Read the book.
  • How about Sean Connery's Jetpack escape> Brosnan's banker office escape.

I took the context into consideration. In the 60s that was an original and memorable moment and fitted in TB's bigness". Brosnan's looked like a poor man's Mission Impossible; again, I find it too 90s-generic consistent with Brosnan's overall performance as Bond.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Brosnan's looked like a poor man's Mission Impossible; again, I find it too 90s-generic consistent with Brosnan's overall performance as Bond.
    Yes, Brosnan's was a little closer to what might be in a Fleming novel, and we wouldn't want that.
    :))
    Wint wrote:

He's not in the book!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Wint wrote:

He's not in the book!

Please don't feed him Draggers. Just IFM.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Wint wrote:

He's not in the book!

Please don't feed him Draggers. Just IFM.

Sorry, friend. I forget myself sometimes, but i did IFM for good measure!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I almost typed the same thing; I wasn't instantaneously thinking IFM.
    So you know, that can happen, making a comment when others feel none were needed (and may be right).
    Well, I almost typed the same thing; I wasn't instantaneously thinking IFM.
    So you know, that can happen, making a comment when others feel none were needed (and may be right).

Yes, it certainly can. Those that are blsameless in this regard can cast the first stone.