The Horror Thread II: The Return

MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
edited March 2011 in General Movies & TV Posts: 13,882
I now christen thee: Open.

The Beyond is released today on both DVD & BR, and with a number of disc out there with the incorrect monochrome opening rather than the originalsepia opening, I will find out later today whether I need to take advantage of Arrows replacement policy.

Not news as such, but hey, it's start. :)

Comments

• Good to see you over here too, Major!

I watched John Carpenter's The Thing for the first time yesterday as it happens... I thought it was great. The effects in the movie are top notch for the time (and fairly impressive even now), and it was a pretty well done movie on the whole.

At any rate, seeing it got me interested in the proposed prequel in the works; anybody have thoughts on that?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,882
    As to you, AL. It's nice to see members sticking with us through the transition.

As for the Thing, I liked it, but I think they should leave well alone with the prequel. There is a game also called The Thing, which if memory serves me correct, acted as a sequel to the film. Now The Fog, that is my favourite Carpenter film. And they just had to go and remake it, didn't they?
  • That I haven't seen, but it's on my list.

Yeah, kind of how I feel about a prequel as well... from what I have read thus far, it just seems that it would be more or less the same movie when all is said and done. Somewhat unnecessary. I suppose it has potential though!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Glad this thread is open again! Good call, Major! :X
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Indeed. No MI6 forum is complete with a horror thread. B-)
    Left for dead as the old forum burned to the ground around it, this thread dragged itself from the smoking remains ... horribly scarred and with vengeance on its mind.

The Horror Thread II : It Can't Be Stopped, Eep! :-S
    I hate this! I checked my 'preferences' and I should have been notified by email that you replied in this thread, Major. Well, I wasn't. :-S
    Yes, that's odd. I havn't had a TRN for your post there, or Mynameis' post above.
  • Watching some Hammer films today to comfort myself.
    Currently: The Witches.
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,882
    Dammit. Can you believe it, my copy is the b&w version. I've now got to take a scan of my receipt and send it off to Arrow. 21 days later, and they'll send a replacement (sepia opening) disc. Until then, i'll just hang on to my Vico release of The Beyond, just in case the Royal Fail live up to their name.

And talking of Hammer, has anyone seen The Resident? I believe it was released here on Friday, but I have not yet seen it.
  • Watching 'The Evil of Frankenstein' Hammer-1964 now (in between posting on here).
    Having the film in a pop up window is marvellous.

I'd recommend two new horror films that have just been released.
    Drive Angry with Nicholas Cage and Amber Heard and Red Riding Hood with Amanda Seyfried. Neither are going to win any awards. In fact Drive Angry is bombing at the box-office, but they do the job. Billy Burke plays in both films btw.
    Drive Angry is a supernatural thriller/action flick with lots of gore and cheeseball sex, nudity, demons etc. plus the 3d is top notch. Lots of stuff coming at you from the screen.
    Red Riding Hood is a smart little gothic horror. See if you can guess who the wolf is. Gary Oldman is quite OTT as the veteran wolf hunter.
    I like horror films. It was nice to get two released so close together, and The Rite with Anthony Hopkins wasn't too far back either.
    Good year so far.
    Watched House Of The Devil again last night. One of the best horror flicks in recent times I must admit. Thanks to the Major, this little jewel is now well known to me and well loved by me.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 212
    Quoting DarthDimi: Watched House Of The Devil again last night. One of the best horror flicks in recent times I must admit.
    It's one of my favorites in the genre in quite some time as well. I stumbled upon it sometime last year and loved how it was a nice throwback to the more old school horror films like Halloween. Joceline Donahue was fantastic in the lead role, perhaps one of the best lead performances there's been in the genre for quite some time, and Tom Noonan was on top of his game as well. It's a shame that they don't make more modern horror films like this one.
    True. The 70s style dominates this film without it being mocked. Essentially, Ti West understands that the eery vibes we get from 70s horror is precisely the thing we need to experience certain types of horror in the best possible way.
    Quoting DarthDimi: True. The 70s style dominates this film without it being mocked. Essentially, Ti West understands that the eery vibes we get from 70s horror is precisely the thing we need to experience certain types of horror in the best possible way.
    I'm very much looking forward to seeing what Ti West has coming up with for his next project, which, according to IMDb, is called The Innkeepers. The synopsis says it's about a haunted hotel that's going out of business, which sounds like something that West could bring a similar style to and be successful with.
    The very first Friday the 13th (1980) will always be a guilty pleasure of mine. L-)
    I prefer most of the later entries. Without Jason and in the hokey mask, it just isn't the same.

And I must say that I could never tire of the THOTD appreciation i'm seeing. Now if Ti West would pick Angela Bettis for his next film, i'd die a happy man.
    Quoting MajorDSmythe: And I must say that I could never tire of the THOTD appreciation i'm seeing.
    I think that it deserves just about any and all praise that it gets. In the era of over-reliance on CGI and jump scares, THOTD does a phenomenal job of creating an atmosphere of dread and simply lets the audience work itself up into being scared through the constant rise in tension rather than throwing something incredibly gross up on the screen and hoping that it tricks the audience into being scared.
    Quoting Chuck:

I think that it deserves just about any and all praise that it gets. In
    the era of over-reliance on CGI and jump scares, THOTD does a phenomenal job of
    creating an atmosphere of dread and simply lets the audience work itself up into
    being scared through the constant rise in tension rather than throwing something
    incredibly gross up on the screen and hoping that it tricks the audience into
    being scared.
    Excellently put, Chuck. All the sequels, prequels and all round awful films are worth sitting through to get to those now all to rare horror films that come onto the scene with little-to-no pomp & ceremony beforehand, and just let the content speak for itself.
    Quoting MajorDSmythe: All the sequels, prequels and all round awful films are worth sitting through to get to those now all to rare horror films that come onto the scene with little-to-no pomp & ceremony beforehand, and just let the content speak for itself.
    Absolutely.

While I'll admit to also enjoying some of the lesser fare the genre has to offer (often times because of the "so good it's bad" phenomenon or just simply as a fan of the genre a bad horror film can sometimes be better than a mediocre film of another genre), it's these types of films that make films like THOTD even more enjoyable. Given the now seemingly obsessive desire for Hollywood to make every horror film in 3D, I'd love to see Ti West take on a project that could get him more exposure (perhaps he should have been the one to take on the Halloween remake) so that his style of horror filmmaking can perhaps make a comeback.
    Quoting Chuck:

Absolutely.

While I'll admit to also enjoying some of the lesser
    fare the genre has to offer (often times because of the "so good it's bad"
    phenomenon or just simply as a fan of the genre a bad horror film can sometimes
    be better than a mediocre film of another genre), it's these types of films that
    make films like THOTD even more enjoyable. Given the now seemingly obsessive
    desire for Hollywood to make every horror film in 3D, I'd love to see Ti West
    take on a project that could get him more exposure (perhaps he should have been
    the one to take on the Halloween remake) so that his style of horror
    filmmaking can perhaps make a comeback.
    I like a bit of so bad it's good too. But it's nice to see these little films steal the limelight and earn themselves a following.
    I'm very much looking forward to West's new film. Count me Inn...
    I'm not too sure about The Innkeepers. :-? The synopsis doesn't really grab me, but i'll still see it for curiosity sake. Now the film i'm really looking foward too is The Woman.
    Quoting MajorDSmythe: I'm not too sure about The Innkeepers. :-? The synopsis doesn't really grab me, but i'll still see it for curiosity sake. Now the film i'm really looking foward too is The Woman.
    The Woman sounds rather interesting. I hadn't heard of it before, but will have to keep an eye out for it.

I would agree that The Innkeeper doesn't necessarily sound like the best synopsis in the world, but given what Ti West did with THOTD, I think he could bring quite a bit to it. Also, he'll be directing another actress in Sara Paxton who, like THOTD's Joceline Donahue, had a very good turn as the female lead in the rather underrated remake of The Last House on the Left. Hopefully the West/Paxton combination will prove to be as successful as the West/Donahue combo.
  • Found myself watching the first 3 of Romeros zombie movies again. These still remain as some of my favorite horror movies of all time day and Day Of The Dead has overtaken Dawn for first place ATM. It's such a shame the later entries we're such a sharp decline into mediocrity.
    Quoting Chuck: The Woman sounds rather interesting. I hadn't heard of it before, but
    will have to keep an eye out for it.
    The involvement of Bettis & McKee make The Woman a must see for me.
    Quoting SirCLMDBCRaig:
    Found myself watching the first 3 of Romeros zombie movies
    again. These still remain as some of my favorite horror movies of all time day
    and Day Of The Dead has overtaken Dawn for first place ATM. It's such a shame
    the later entries we're such a sharp decline into mediocrity.
    Dawn is my favourite, but I do agree that the original 3 were the best.

1) Dawn...
    2) Night...
    3) Day...
    4) Land...
    5) Survival...
    6) Diary...
    Quoting MajorDSmythe: The involvement of Bettis & McKee make The Woman a must see for me.

Looking through their IMDb pages, I've never seen any of their films. Looks like I've got some more horror films to check out now, which is great considering that there hasn't been anything great to come out of the genre in the last few months.
    Quoting Chuck: Looking through their IMDb pages, I've never seen any of their films. Looks like
    I've got some more horror films to check out now, which is great considering
    that there hasn't been anything great to come out of the genre in the last few
    months.
    In that case, I can't possibly recommend May enough. It's without question, my favourite horror film.
    Quoting MajorDSmythe: In that case, I can't possibly recommend May enough. It's without question, my favourite horror film.
    Thanks. Will definitely check that one out.