GRAND THEFT AUTO VI - Announcement and Discussion

Comments

• edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Finished it today. Brilliant game, although I thought the multiple endings just seemed a bit tacked on. Option C (which I picked before replaying the others), was the only one that seemed to actually fit the game (and the only one which actually had an exciting final mission).

The multiplayer however is crap. I played a bit more of it today and although it's not as glitchy as it was the other day (at least it works now), I have a new problem with it. It's a cash grab. Everything about it screams cash grab. You lose money (about $2000 I think) whenever you die, even if you're in a deathmatch! Everything costs more than it's single player counterpart too, a silencer for your pistol will set you back a few grand. And if you find a good sports car, you can't customise or keep it. I took a Porsche to my garage but it was "too hot to modify". I could however, keep it if I bought it from the in game internet for even more money.

They stressed that paying with real money would be optional and it is, but the game does everything possible to make life difficult for you if you don't.

The "bad sport" system is stupid too. I needed to repair my car but somebody was driving around the garage and he killed me three times. I did manage to kill him and get inside (but only after losing half my money because of him). I repair my car, drive out, and guess who's waiting to greet me? He kills me and leaves the car damaged, meaning I'd have to spend even more money repairing it again.

At this point I'd had enough so when I respawned I shot him and took his car, driving it into the sea. And the game fucking told me off for it. Apparently because that was his "personal vehicle", I was a "bad sport". The game took even more money off me, giving it to the other player, and told me that if I carried on this way I'd only be allowed to play with other "bad sports".

At this point I put the disc away and played FIFA for half an hour. I can't see myself ever playing the online again.

I bet R* are very happy that they treated the multiplayer as a seperate release. Somehow if the game had launched with a terrible, broken cash grab online mode I don't think it would've gotten as many 10/10 reviews.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Finished it today. Brilliant game, although I thought the multiple endings just seemed a bit tacked on. Option C (which I picked before replaying the others), was the only one that seemed to actually fit the game (and the only one which actually had an exciting final mission).

The multiplayer however is crap. I played a bit more of it today and although it's not as glitchy as it was the other day (at least it works now), I have a new problem with it. It's a cash grab. Everything about it screams cash grab. You lose money (about $2000 I think) whenever you die, even if you're in a deathmatch! Everything costs more than it's single player counterpart too, a silencer for your pistol will set you back a few grand. And if you find a good sports car, you can't customise or keep it. I took a Porsche to my garage but it was "too hot to modify". I could however, keep it if I bought it from the in game internet for even more money.

They stressed that paying with real money would be optional and it is, but the game does everything possible to make life difficult for you if you don't.

The "bad sport" system is stupid too. I needed to repair my car but somebody was driving around the garage and he killed me three times. I did manage to kill him and get inside (but only after losing half my money because of him). I repair my car, drive out, and guess who's waiting to greet me? He kill me and leaves the car damaged, meaning I'd have to spend even more money repairing it again.

At this point I'd had enough so when I respawned I shot him and took his car, driving it into the sea. And the game fucking told me off for it. Apparently because that was his "personal vehicle", I was a "bad sport". The game took even more money off me, giving it to the other player, and told me that if I carried on this way I'd only be allowed to play with other "bad sports".

At this point I put the disc away and played FIFA for half an hour. I can't see myself ever playing the online again.

I bet R* are very happy that they treated the multiplayer as a seperate release. Somehow if the game had launched with a terrible, broken cash grab online mode I don't think it would've gotten as many 10/10 reviews.

I agree with you totally. I think the multiplayer is ambitious but poorly executed. It's just not fun enough. There are far better third person deathmatches on the market as well, chief of them being Uncharted 2, which is ace.

On top of that the iFruit app still hasn't been released for Android and Windows. I doubt they'll even bother now seeing as most people have finished the story mode. I think R* have made an absolute hash of this from start to finish.

CEX are currently buying GTA V for £36 trade in for cash. I may take them up on that on monday and save that money for Arkham Origins in a few weeks.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, the online for this game is the textbook definition of a trainwreck. So many problems: lags, bugs, I've lost so many stats, I lost over $150,000 in cash yesterday along with a lot of clothes, everything costs so much and you don't make money from anything, the new patch made it so you can't replay missions, which is what everyone was doing to make money by replaying the 'Violent Duct' mission, so it feels like Rockstar is forcing you to join in on microtransactions, the 'bad sport' thing is trash, making it so even if you piss someone off and they kick you, you're still a 'bad sport.'

Up and down, the game is plagued with problems. Even the gameplay becomes repetitive. 700 missions? Wow, what a number! Too bad they get incredibly monotonous and dull after the fifth one you play. Want to rank up fast? Hope you like playing the same race again and again and again and again to do so! I did two races over and over all day yesterday and went from rank 28 to 40. They just got incredibly overzealous with their Online, talking up all the features and ideas and abilities, and the junk didn't even work for most people for over three days.

Now with this patch, it's time to see if my character got deleted like so many others did. If that's the case, I'll be trading the game in immediately. No questions asked, no restarting, I'll be completely done with it forever.
    @Creasy47 The patch for PS3 did work for me yesterday. I got my lost character and progress back. Too bad the online is just crap and dull.
    @Creasy47 The patch for PS3 did work for me yesterday. I got my lost character and progress back. Too bad the online is just crap and dull.

That's good. Yeah, it doesn't negate how dull the online is. Really upsetting.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well lads, I tried the online yesterday, and I must say, I am underwhelmed. I don't like how the multiplayer is almost a story in its own right with its own missions to complete. I would much rather just have it like it was in GTA IV where you would spawn in the open world, and then you could choose fun game modes from your phone. With this one, I am often confused on how to simply play deathmatch, and I don't think the instructions on how to do this are well presented to boot, leaving me overwhelmingly bemused. I don't like that they drain money from you when you die in a match, something I think is just plain stupid, especially if you were a level 2 like I was, getting pitted against a bunch of level 10s who shot me to pieces with better guns and higher skill levels. I played Last Man Standing a lot, but there was no real designated, blocked in area, and the players could go all around the map to get cars. Because of that, I got ran over and my one life gone in an unfair flash. These modes should be about gun skill only, and not about using cars to run players over, which make it even easier to win a match.

I also agree with everyone who states that it lacks fun. The multiplayer is often more frustrating than anything else, and leaves little reward when you do succeed. The thing that makes me most angry is the "bad sport" feature. If someone is killing you endlessly, and you do something about it, you apparently get called a "bad sport", something I find very stupid, especially for a damn multiplayer where you race illegally, rob people and institutions, kill people to collect drugs, and fight for supremacy with guns in your hands. Don't you think that all our characters are bad sports if they do that? How are you a "good sport" while being a murderous thief? I've even had moments where I was working on doing missions, and right out of nowhere, the group of players I was in session with kicked me, taking me right out of what I was playing without notice. I hadn't even killed any of them, or taunted them; they just felt like being immature.

And in all, I am just dissatisfied. After playing for a few hours, my sole favorite thing about this experience is the fact that John Marston is my character's father. It doesn't get much better than that.
    ^ It's why, for me at least, RDR remains the best game R* have produced to date.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Red Dead Redemption is basically the pinnacle of storytelling for Rockstar, and games in general. It is one of the only games that I believe to be worthy of the title "masterpiece".
    Red Dead Redemption is basically the pinnacle of storytelling for Rockstar, and games in general. It is one of the only games that I believe to be worthy of the title "masterpiece".

Have you played The Last Of Us?

No, but I have heard the hype. I love NaughtyDog (my favorite developer after R*), so I will play it sometime in the future.

No, but I have heard the hype. I love NaughtyDog (my favorite developer after R*), so I will play it sometime in the future.

Let's just say the the story of RDR was one of the best I'd sat through.

The Last Of Us blows it out the water. I can't say anymore than that it is simply jaw dropping.
    I think when it comes to story The Walking Dead is easily the best game I've played. Fantastic writing that actually made me give a shit about the characters.

I haven't played The Last Of Us though so that might be better.
    I think when it comes to story The Walking Dead is easily the best game I've played. Fantastic writing that actually made me give a shit about the characters.

I honestly can't recommend it enough.
  • There are far better third person deathmatches on the market as well, chief of them being Uncharted 2, which is ace.

Best I've played is the Assassin's Creed multiplayer. Proper tense stuff.

I honestly can't recommend it enough.

I would play it as I really enjoyed the Uncharted games but my ps3 broke last year.
    GTA IV is still leagues better than GTA V. The latter was just a massive letdown for me.
    As if R* give a f*** what we, the consumer, think though. They've made a bucket load of cash from us so they have the last laugh. In the end, GTA V was nowhere near as good as IV.
    As if R* give a f*** what we, the consumer, think though. They've made a bucket load of cash from us so they have the last laugh. In the end, GTA V was nowhere near as good as IV.

Couldn't agree more, and I'm happy to see people recognizing that Rockstar is far from perfect with this massive let-down. Even the single player didn't have me excited, as I've previously posted.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Couldn't agree more, and I'm happy to see people recognizing that Rockstar is far from perfect with this massive let-down. Even the single player didn't have me excited, as I've previously posted.

All of the marketing and promos pushing the innovative heists in GTA V, and it turned out there are only four of them in the entire game.
    I wouldn't call it a massive let down, and I wouldn't say IV was better, but I am a bit torn now when it comes to GTA V.

When I was in the middle of the single player I did think it was the best in the series but I'm not so sure now. The multiplayer was awful and thinking about it now I'm not sure if the single player was that brilliant either. I think it's a toss up between GTA V and Vice City really.

GTA V had great combat, Vice City had the brilliant 80s setting. GTA V had Trevor, Vice City had Ray Liotta and Ken Rosenburg. GTA V had tons of cars, planes and helicopters, Vice City had katanas, flamethrowers, chainsaws, etc. Vice City did have dodgy combat and an irritating lack of mission checkpoints but then GTA V has crap multiplayer and terrible helicopter controls. GTA V has cool bank heists, Vice City has the speed mission.

Overall I think GTA V edges it but I don't think it's as good as I first thought.
    @thelivingroyale, GTA V doesn't even have cool bank heists. Most of them were pretty mediocre, they are incredibly scarce, and the payout wasn't even phenomenal.

Even after a patch, the servers are still screwed. I did a SOLO SESSION to play by myself, and end up having people join my race somehow that I'm trying to spam for XP. Such a joke.
    I wouldn't call it a massive let down, and I wouldn't say IV was better, but I am a bit torn now when it comes to GTA V.

When I was in the middle of the single player I did think it was the best in the series but I'm not so sure now. The multiplayer was awful and thinking about it now I'm not sure if the single player was that brilliant either. I think it's a toss up between GTA V and Vice City really.

GTA V had great combat, Vice City had the brilliant 80s setting. GTA V had Trevor, Vice City had Ray Liotta and Ken Rosenburg. GTA V had tons of cars, planes and helicopters, Vice City had katanas, flamethrowers, chainsaws, etc. Vice City did have dodgy combat and an irritating lack of mission checkpoints but then GTA V has crap multiplayer and terrible helicopter controls. GTA V has cool bank heists, Vice City has the speed mission.

Overall I think GTA V edges it but I don't think it's as good as I first thought.

It is strange how your opinion of a game can change during the course of playing it. My enthusiasm for it had waned by the time I'd finished it and I had the chance to reflect on it's pros and cons. After five years in the making, I was expecting so much more from it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @thelivingroyale, GTA V doesn't even have cool bank heists. Most of them were pretty mediocre, they are incredibly scarce, and the payout wasn't even phenomenal.

There weren't as many of them as I thought (I expected the whole story to revolve around them), but the heists were cool.

Charging through a small town with a mini gun trying to escape tons of cops and military, skydiving onto a goverment building then abseiling down to escape, racing through tunnels on motorbikes after robbing a jewel store, etc.

I thought they were really fun.
    And whilst we're no the subject, where were all the skydiving and aeroplane missions? I know there are side missions where you can fly planes and parachute but I would have liked far more incorporated into the story. And what was the point of the Fighter Jet? It has no purpose in the game at all. There aren't even side missions for it. Steal it, store it in your hanger and that's it.
    I will go in depth with my issues later, but right now I am struggling to raise the strength stat in Michael and Franklin. I mean, we had fight clubs in Liberty City stories, so why can't they exist in this game to increase their fighting abilities? You can do sports, but it doesn't level you up very fast, and if you just go around punching people the cops will always get called and then become almost impossible to get away from. It ticks me off.
    @WillyGalore, fighter jets seemed like one of those "Wow!" additions to the game, and not once during my 100% completion was I inched towards flying it at all. No missions, side missions, heads-ups, or reasoning to do so.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, same with the pigeon collectibles in GTA IV: every time you killed one, you got a wanted level. It just took way too long for anything in this game: leveling up stats (both online and offline), acquiring money (both online and offline), and ranking up (online). It just seems incredibly overzealous. I look forward to getting these last three achievements and getting rid of the game.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Wow thanks for the heads up guys...I am glad I did not shell out $60 for this game!
    Wow thanks for the heads up guys...I am glad I did not shell out $60 for this game!
    I very much love, it, and I would still recommend it, hands down. It is only for those hoping for a good multiplayer that I would warn against purchasing it. I just tried to get online an hour or two back, and the servers were down. My character may have even been erased. The campaign, however, is more than worthy of your time, in my opinion.

It's well worth the money and it's a brilliant game imo. Well worth the 38 quid I paid for it. Just has crap multiplayer.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @WillyGalore, fighter jets seemed like one of those "Wow!" additions to the game, and not once during my 100% completion was I inched towards flying it at all. No missions, side missions, heads-ups, or reasoning to do so.

Why does it have to be some sort of mission or objective? Why not steal a fighter jet and go around destroying stuff because it's fun?
    the cops will always get called and then become almost impossible to get away from.

Just drive through alleys or off road.
    And whilst we're no the subject, where were all the skydiving and aeroplane missions? I know there are side missions where you can fly planes and parachute but I would have liked far more incorporated into the story.

I'm just grateful that this one actually has planes. Annoyed me when they took them out for IV.
    @thelivingroyale, because it just seems like such a unique, interesting thing to put into the game and shove to the side. Should've added more emphasis on it instead of some of the ridiculous missions they threw in. I just found this game to be a massive disappointment, especially after a five year wait. The Online doesn't help, either.
    Well, great news: my online character got erased. Yayyyyyyy. I'll try one last time when the damn thing is "fixed".