GRAND THEFT AUTO VI - Announcement and Discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well, done with the Online! Buggy, laggy, and full of idiots who just want to go around killing others. I go to see if I can change my hair (because my hair is black and my facial hair is brown, for some reason), and after I get my haircut - I've yet to exit the barbershop - I'm shot and killed. I sit through some BS cutscene, track the guy down, and he's in the midst of a robbery. So I walk into the convenience store, aim, fire...I can't hit him. I exit the store, aim, and he's hitting me, yet I can't do anything to him, as if he's in some safe zone. After that, another player comes up, shoots me once, and kills me.

I'm done with the Online for a while now. Whether they fix all the bugs and work out the lag or not, it won't fix the horrendous fanbase for the online. I couldn't even finish a job without having a few people try to kill me and others just jumping out of cars and goofing off. Terrible, terrible community for this game.
    Unfortunately @Creasy47 that was always going to happen. Mindless trolls who are intent on spoiling the experience for as many people as possible.
    @WillyGalore, I just totally forgot how bad the Rockstar community is. I remember in GTA IV, I would just enter a party with a friend and have fun by ourselves, and then joining a TDM in the midst of Liberty City, with flaming buses and rockets flying past, it was fun. RDR was terrible: damage sucked and the online was filled with people totally intent on killing one another non-stop. Now they've constructed this world where you work with others to complete jobs, rank up, get more money, and all people want to do is play it like it's TDM.

I know you can activate passive mode, but what's the point? People still won't play it the way it should be played, which is cooperatively.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I wish there was a way for you and your crew to have your own open world away from others who do those kinds of things you are discussing. All the multiplayer for any open world game is about shooting and killing each other to no end, and it really does get annoying, especially if you lose money and guns every time you die.
    I wish there was a way for you and your crew to have your own open world away from others who do those kinds of things you are discussing. All the multiplayer for any open world game is about shooting and killing each other to no end, and it really does get annoying, especially if you lose money and guns every time you die.

My crew and I just started doing miscellaneous jobs to rank up, almost to level 10 now. I figured the higher the rank, the more activities/jobs and whatnot.
    Brady and WillyGalore, I'll get on at some point tonight and set up the crew. Just haven't had much time cause of university.
    Brady and WillyGalore, I'll get on at some point tonight and set up the crew. Just haven't had much time cause of university.

I'm on 360, he's on PS3.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I'm on 360, he's on PS3.

Yeah, the three of us are all PS3.

...I have absolutely no clue as to why I thought you said 'Creasy47.' Apologies!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

No rush, mate. College keeps me busy too, and I only go home on on the weekends, so I won't be on that much anyway. I am still excited to play with you all and have a blast online.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    ...I have absolutely no clue as to why I thought you said 'Creasy47.' Apologies!

Go home Creasy

You're drunk

Yeah that's cool. As @0Brady says there's no rush anyway. Bloody servers still playing up this morning.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Go home Creasy

You're drunk

Give me another hit of that whiskey, will ya?!

I got back on tonight and played quite a few more hours of GTAO. Did some missions with some people I just met, got some achievements, ranked up. Overall, it isn't too bad, just plagued by people who refuse to play it any way other than killing everyone in sight. It also suffers from a lot of the same problems that the SP has, mainly having lots to buy but zero money. Also, it takes forever to rank up, so I don't see too many people hitting rank 100. The online doesn't offer that much fun for me to stick around that long.
    So finally, PS3 users were able to get online today. Took me half a dozen attempts. Sat through intro sequence and did the first couple of tutorials, only for the servers to crash once more. Now logged back on after a few hours to find all my progress has been wiped. Annoyed now!
    So finally, PS3 users were able to get online today. Took me half a dozen attempts. Sat through intro sequence and did the first couple of tutorials, only for the servers to crash once more. Now logged back on after a few hours to find all my progress has been wiped. Annoyed now!

I know that feeling. I made my character, joined, raced, started the first mission (retrieve the drugs), and in the middle of it, I went invisible and the entire HUD disappeared. I roamed around for a few, and then was forced to restart it. Things have been going alright now, for the most part. Just trying to do more missions and rank up more so I can unlock some other game modes.
    Crashed on me. Again. And wiped all my progress. Again!!
    Crashed on me. Again. And wiped all my progress. Again!!

I don't think I've seen such major problems for the online portion of a game like this before. Makes it terrible for people who can't join, and terrible for me because there isn't much to do with nobody playing.
    Bit of a PR disaster for R*
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I played a bit of the online earlier. It has the worst character creation system I've ever seen and it's so buggy it's unplayable. I had to restart my xbox several times to even get past the tutorial and then when I finally got onto free roam the game crashed and my progress wasn't saved.

I know a fair amount of glitches are expected for something as ambitious as this but it's downright broken, I can't cut Rockstar any slack for this. I'll finish the single player and then I'll play FIFA until Zelda comes out. Maybe I'll try the online again but not for a week or two at least.

@Creasy47 Was Battlefield any good?
    I played a bit of the online earlier. It has the worst character creation system I've ever seen and it's so buggy it's unplayable. I had to restart my xbox several times to even get past the tutorial and then when I finally got onto free roam the game crashed and my progress wasn't saved.

I know a fair amount of glitches are expected for something as ambitious as this but it's downright broken, I can't cut Rockstar any slack for this. I'll finish the single player and then I'll play FIFA until Zelda comes out. Maybe I'll try the online again but not for a week or two at least.

That's exactly what happened to me. Got to the Cypress Flats mission and it crashed. When I reloaded, it had lost everything.

Thank heavens that Arkham Origins is out in a few weeks.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Go home Creasy

You're drunk

I got back on tonight and played quite a few more hours of GTAO. Did some missions with some people I just met, got some achievements, ranked up. Overall, it isn't too bad, just plagued by people who refuse to play it any way other than killing everyone in sight. It also suffers from a lot of the same problems that the SP has, mainly having lots to buy but zero money. Also, it takes forever to rank up, so I don't see too many people hitting rank 100. The online doesn't offer that much fun for me to stick around that long.

Really? I beat the game and all my characters have over 17 million dollars. I have so much money I don't know what to do with it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Go home Creasy

You're drunk

Really? I beat the game and all my characters have over 17 million dollars. I have so much money I don't know what to do with it.

Did you complete the final heist Subtle or Obvious @0Brady to get the 17mil?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Go home Creasy

You're drunk

Did you complete the final heist Subtle or Obvious @0Brady to get the 17mil?

Subtle, why?
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 6,396
    ^ If you'd have done it Obvious, you'd end up with more than 30 mil each.
    So then why are some people saying that they have no money to spend things on when you get a ton of cash by game's end? I don't care about customizing cars or any of that stuff, and probably the only thing I'll buy is clothing and guns, so it isn't like I'll be strapped for cash anytime soon. Anything else I want I can just steal.
    So then why are some people saying that they have no money to spend things on when you get a ton of cash by game's end? I don't care about customizing cars or any of that stuff, and probably the only thing I'll buy is clothing and guns, so it isn't like I'll be strapped for cash anytime soon. Anything else I want I can just steal.

I think the problem is that there are numerous properties/businesses available to buy throughout the game, but realistically they can't be purchased until you complete the final mission. It's a complete reversal of IV whereby you had a stack of cash early on but nothing to buy.

I think the problem is that there are numerous properties/businesses available to buy throughout the game, but realistically they can't be purchased until you complete the final mission. It's a complete reversal of IV whereby you had a stack of cash early on but nothing to buy.

I can understand that. There are still properties like the golf course that are worth way more money than you could get at the end of the campaign, and I don't have the faintest idea as to how you are supposed to get an additional 20 million dollars or more with literally no big money-making missions in sight. Good thing I have no interest in that. I am sure you could make decent cash playing the stocks, but I haven't the faintest idea about how to do that, so I just stay away from it.
    Exactly what I'm talking about: who put a $150 million dollar golf course in the game, but when I finished the storyline, I'm left with $27 million per player? Where am I going to get another $123 million from? It just doesn't make sense whatsoever.

@thelivingroyale, BF4 beta is a disaster right now: nearly impossible to connect, terrible pop-in glitches and graphics - the latter making the game look like a good PS2 game - and the gameplay is a lot faster, like CoD, which is bad. They also messed with the ammo packs, so one pack goes to one person and immediately disappears. Such a bad idea.
    Is there maybe a way that the money you make in the online transfers over to your single player? If the last section of the character switch wheel is for your online character, that would be a cool feature to implement. I am sure I still have some small missions left to do as all the characters, but those will get me 5 grand tops, and nowhere near the money you would need to buy a whole golf course or other piece of real estate. It makes no sense to me either.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 40,372
    Is there maybe a way that the money you make in the online transfers over to your single player? If the last section of the character switch wheel is for your online character, that would be a cool feature to implement. I am sure I still have some small missions left to do as all the characters, but those will get me 5 grand tops, and nowhere near the money you would need to buy a whole golf course or other piece of real estate. It makes no sense to me either.

No, because the real estate online is separate from the real estate in the single player. I hear the best way to make money is just to spam the briefcases out in the water (which only nets you a few hundred thousand every hour, and I'm pretty sure they patched that already) or buy a lot of stocks before assassination missions, but if you've already done all of them, you can't milk that process. There's literally nothing to be done, it seems.

I'm managing to find little workarounds to get a good amount of money/XP. A buddy of mine found a mission that takes less than two minutes to do, and gives about 1,000RP and $3,000 every time. Managed to rank up twice and buy an apartment + two car garage fairly quick.

I hit rank 25 tonight and am only three achievements away from getting 1,000 GS - rank 50, rank 100 (not gonna happen), and 30 platinum awards (17 to go). The mission 'Violent Duct' is great because it takes about five minutes from when you start it to when you're at the screen to start it again, and you're awarded $9,000 (in just 90 minutes of game time, I got close to $200,000, I believe) and 1,000 RP in that time frame.

EDIT: Rockstar is working for a big Online patch for tomorrow.