After Craig, should EON consider retro Bond

edited September 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 686
After Daniel Craig retires from the Bond series, should EON consider doing retro-Bonds, perhaps doing more Bond movies closer to the Fleming Books? We do not do 21st Century Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson.

Comments

Two Words:

Michael Fassbender

he could save the series...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    002 wrote:
    Two Words:

Michael Fassbender

The series needs to be saved?

• Perdogg wrote:
    We do not do 21st Century Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson.
    Better tell the folks at BBC that.
    And CBS

Honestly Bond was never meant to be a period piece even when a lemming was writing why now people assume it should be is beyond me.
    Perdogg wrote:

I was just going to say, pretty sure that series has been around a good three years or whatever. Ignorance like that is my main issue with you, Perdogg.

The series needs no saving. The last one just made a billion dollars. Pretty sure the series is safe for a couple years at least.

Personally, I'm not so sure I want a Bond series once Craig's done. I've been thinking about it and I'm really not sure how they can follow him up. When Craig leaves, it'll only be the second time Bond has changed in my life, and Craig is the first Bond whose entire tenure existed while I was a fan, so perhaps the idea of Bond changing just kind of intimidates me because this is the first time I'm going to be really conscious of it and anxious about the next actor. I imagine this feeling is what most people had when Connery quit and was replaced with Lazenby. That must've been a very tense period for Bond fans.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think that they must keep moving forward. That's what the series has done a wonderful job at thus far. Making Bond relevant in each new decade. Sure there's been a couple of missteps along the way but for the most part the endurance of this character is amazing. Going back in time (while interesting) kind of signals defeat in my opinion. They should only use it as a last resort when the well has completely run dry.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Perdogg wrote:

They have not only done a 21st century adaption of the Holmes canon, but also a 22nd century version. I remember watching it as a young boy:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/SherlockHolmes22ndCentury_Complete.jpg
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218791/
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Turn the film series that has originally been about cutting edge technology into a full nostalgia trip? Yeah, sure /:) .

It´s enough already that since GE we have the DB5 all the time.
    Perdogg wrote:

and let's not forget that since 1962, heck since Fleming, Bond was contemporary. Unlike most of Holmes incarnations.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    My reaction to the first 2 posts

seinfeld.gif
  • ^ Yes, I think that sums up my feeling too @doubleoego
  • Seems like a great idea for a one off. Daniels last bond film and maybe Thunderball. Could be good fun.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Why should Eon fix something that ain't broke?

A retro Bond would suit who exactly? A couple of thousand die hard Bond fans? After that who is going to pay to see it?

Bond was a man of his times. He was a 50s man, but if Fleming had lived in the 70s Bond would have been a man of the 70s. Which means that Eon are quite right to make Bond relevent to whichever decade he is part of.
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    I think that part of the reason why the Bond series has been so successful has been the fact that it has adapated with the times. While as a fan of the original Fleming novels I would love to see a period Bond film, I don't honestly think it would the series any favors whatsoever. As a result, I'm happy for the novels to continue being done every so often on BBC Radio 4. Perhaps one day, if and when the copyright on the books ends, someone will do it but I don't see EON doing it.

timdalton007
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2013 Posts: 4,416
    After Daniel Craig Bond (Ag)Regression there should put this on hold and we get more standalone stories and with more fun. Specter also not return the whole time. So it be nice to have Quantum a couple of times for the next Bond.
    Perdogg wrote:

I was just going to say, pretty sure that series has been around a good three years or whatever. Ignorance like that is my main issue with you, Perdogg.

The series needs no saving. The last one just made a billion dollars. Pretty sure the series is safe for a couple years at least.

Personally, I'm not so sure I want a Bond series once Craig's done. I've been thinking about it and I'm really not sure how they can follow him up. When Craig leaves, it'll only be the second time Bond has changed in my life, and Craig is the first Bond whose entire tenure existed while I was a fan, so perhaps the idea of Bond changing just kind of intimidates me because this is the first time I'm going to be really conscious of it and anxious about the next actor. I imagine this feeling is what most people had when Connery quit and was replaced with Lazenby. That must've been a very tense period for Bond fans.

I do not have the BBC.
    Perdogg wrote:

They have not only done a 21st century adaption of the Holmes canon, but also a 22nd century version. I remember watching it as a young boy:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/SherlockHolmes22ndCentury_Complete.jpg

You are taking what I am saying, typically, out of context. The last Sherlock Holmes movies were not modern. I do not give a crap what it is on TV.
  • Let's not be all mean to each other.

Sherlock has been successful, sure, but whether the genre 'needs' it is another thing. It's a matter of taste.

I'd like to see a Moore-ish style actor in a new version of a 1980s Bond, suddenly that seems retro to me! Sort of Octopussy, but with a bit of Moscow thrown in and that whole era. Suddenly it seems more interesting than going back to the 50s or 60s, just cut out the tarzan yell, make it exotic and of its time.

Course it won't happen, but the idea appealed.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Creasy47 wrote:
    002 wrote:
    Two Words:

Michael Fassbender

The series needs to be saved?

Typical Craig era hater comment from a usual source. Just ignore him.

Perdogg wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

You are taking what I am saying, typically, out of context. The last Sherlock Holmes movies were not modern. I do not give a crap what it is on TV.

Except mention of BBC Sherlock was a fair comment and a valid criticism of your point: Holmes has been adapted as a contemporary piece and it was both a popular and critical success. And in many ways more faithful in spirit than the recent movies, which are set pieces but with characters behaving like modern people.
    And don't forget Elementary on CBS, with Holmes living in 21st Century New York and Watson as an Asian-American woman.
    When DC steps down from the role? I think they should just continue the formula they have always followed. Certainly no retro Bonds or remakes.....etc.

It will be odd again when the search begins for actor number 7! However? I started with Roger Moore! Saw a few of his films before i was aware of Connery, let alone Lazenby! So i have seen TD and PB occupy the role. Now we have DC who is doing an incredible job in the role. It will be sad to see him step down at somepoint, but he will have left his mark for us all to keep forever.
    I really want to know, for the people who've been around for the whole run, what was the atmosphere when Bond changed for the first time? Can't believe I've not contemplated that before.
    /\ I would imagine their are not too many on here who will know? But hey you never know? I would certainly love to hear their thoughts on it from when it was happening? Would be facinating stuff?
  • I really want to know, for the people who've been around for the whole run, what was the atmosphere when Bond changed for the first time? Can't believe I've not contemplated that before.
    Try asking that in the originals thread. I'm sure they'd be able to answer your question quite well.
    The idea for Bond period pieces has been floating around for a while. One approach that many fans seem to approve of would be a series of faithful adaptations of Fleming on the BBC. The movie franchise could continue uninterrupted.

It's an interesting concept, but I doubt it will happen as long as EON Productions has anything to say about it.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    It's a nice idea but according to the first two posts, I'm sure the serie doesn't need to be saved thanks to the billion dollars they earned last year. And Fassbender is the right choice, IMO as the new Bond.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 5,767
    I'd like to see a Moore-ish style actor in a new version of a 1980s Bond, suddenly that seems retro to me! Sort of Octopussy, but with a bit of Moscow thrown in and that whole era. Suddenly it seems more interesting than going back to the 50s or 60s, just cut out the tarzan yell, make it exotic and of its time.
    What could be moore exotic than the Tarzan yell ;-) ??

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    doubleoego wrote:
    My reaction to the first 2 posts

seinfeld.gif

Very well put Sir.