The Friday Salute: A user appreciation thread (THIS WEEK: StirredNotShaken aka SNS)

edited September 2015 in General Discussion Posts: 2,400
This is a simple thread I thought could bring some good vibes to the forum. Not much to it, just say a few words about the user/s who you think contribute to and are important to the forums. Keep it positive, of course.

I have many things I want to say about the bigger contributors to the forum (Brady, DarthDimi, Creasy, TheWizardOfIce, the list goes on) about how much I appreciate them giving me easily the best level of discussion I've ever had on any forum; I feel inspired every time I post here because I know that at least one of them will either agree or disagree with my points and I'll spend the next twenty minutes having a great chat with them. I'll make another post with my thoughts on you guys, I'm just pressed for time atm.

In the meantime, everybody feel free to say their piece about anyone they feel deserves a mention. If this thread seems a waste of space - which I hope it doesn't - then I hope it's understood my intentions are very well-founded here.

On top of this, each week we will have the Friday salute; a week, Friday to Friday, where we pay tribute to a member as voted by Mi6C. Feel free to give compliments to other users at any time, but please keep a focus on the nominated user. For this week (and since it's Monday we'll go to next Friday this time) the MI6C user we will be saluting is @Creasy47, who I have chosen as I already wrote my piece to him. All subsequent members will be nominated by a voting process.

Comments

• saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited September 2013 Posts: 987
    So many members of this site are deserving for special praise for so many reasons, some great for their encyclopaedic knowledge of Bond, others for their humour and many for simply getting involved with the wide range of discussions that keep this site such a lively and successful forum. I'm almost loathed to single out any one member because there are many who have been very kind and supportive during constant struggles to overcome my technophobia and dyslexia for me to feel confident enough to actually post my thoughts and views.
    Though in the spirit of this topic I'd have to say the first person to spring to my mind was @4EverBonded, such a lovely, kind member of our community and always positive and encouraging, it's because of members like this that I stick around (so you can blame her!) ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @StirredNotShaken, thank you for the shout out, and good idea for a positive, kind thread. I appreciate and enjoy chatting with any single moderator or member who makes this forum a better place by joining in on the discussions and making it a friendly, entertaining place to escape to. So many great topic discussions, so many ideas, so many wonderful fan arts/prop replicas, just everything you guys bring to the table and discuss makes me incredibly happy to be a member of this forum. You guys are all awesome, and I've heavily enjoyed getting to know a lot of you on a personal level.
    Well, I have some free time, so @saunders and @Creasy47, I'll start with the two of you.

saunders, to be honest I've not had too many discussions with you, so at this time I can't speak at length without saying the same thing over and over again. However, I think your taste in the Bond films is inspired, to say the least, and I've certainly enjoyed the few discussions I've managed to have with you. I admire that you've overcome your phobia in orer to participate here, and I hope we manage to hold on to you for years to come. Expect an update on this once we've talked more.

Creasy, I've had much more discussion with you, about Bond and beyond, so I'll be able to more specifically outline my thoughts about you. To say the least, you are an invaluable part of these forums. 8,000 posts isn't something to be taken lightly. I think Brady is the only person who's contributed more posts, but either way, the two of you have been an integral part of MI6C. I'm always glad to discuss Bond with you, even if we don't share parallel views of the series. Even when we disagree you create gold quality discussion with me. Many of my most productive, inspired, fulfilling posts and discussions on here have been either with you or have at least involved you in some way. Thanks a lot for what you've contributed here.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Thank you for the kind words, @StirredNotShaken! :-)

I would like to thank all our great members, some of whom I often speak to privately. I think they know I'm talking about them. ;-)

The main reason I enjoy being here is not Bond but the community. Bond is the second reason. ;-)
    @StirredNotShaken, and thank you for all of your contributions. I really, really appreciate the kind words, it means a lot. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Great thread idea! I feel honored to receive your praises, @StirredNotShaken. Right back at you, mate. :)

I too won't single anyone out, as I enjoy anyone on here who contributes to healthy discussions and who helps to keep the peace amongst the community and upholds our desire to respect each other on every level. We have some serious debates, but also some great laughs, and that blend is integral to why we have built such a nice Bond force here. We have all made it through some tough spots here and there by standing together with great gusto, and are all the better for it now. As with Bond, we are molded and strengthened by the challenges that have come our way.

I supremely enjoy speaking to so many here, either in open discussion or through private PMs, and have received some great advice through those methods of communication or was simply able to vent my personal feelings for a second. The fact that we have so many members that I feel comfortable going to if I am in the dumps or want advisement on something speaks volumes of this forum and its members, because I do not open up easily. The members here have at times even made me look at a Bond film or two a different way, or helped me to find appreciation in something I hadn't liked that much before. The Moore fans here led me to revisit his era that I held scornful hatred for back in my early days of constant Connery Bond viewing, and because of that I was finally able to see that the Moore films are worth the time and can be very entertaining and masterful pieces of filming making with spectacular real life stunts and jaw-dropping location shots.

I also look up to a lot of the members here, and for many different reasons. I feel envy for those who grew up just as the Bond films were beginning in the early 60s, or those that have gotten to meet many Bond alumni over the years. Then you have the brilliant Bond fans with encyclopedic knowledge on anything from the films to the books, something I truly aspire to, and those that have travel to some of the Bond films many locations. To put it simply, I thank everyone here who I have befriended since I joined a couple of years ago for making this a veritable home away from home, and a place I always love visiting to discuss Bond and other topics beyond the character and his world.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    There was a similar thread on the old forums, called the Friday salute, where each week a member was nominated that we'd speak kindly of. Could be a good idea for this thread's name.

Well thought of @StirredNotShaken. It's great talking on here with you all too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Samuel001 wrote:
    There was a similar thread on the old forums, called the Friday salute, where each week a member was nominated that we'd speak kindly of. Could be a good idea for this thread's name.

Well thought of @StirredNotShaken. It's great talking on here with you all too.

That sounds like a spectacular idea, Sam. :)
  • Samuel001 wrote:

Well thought of @StirredNotShaken.

That's a great idea Sam! One of many you always seem to come up with. You are truly the "thread master" when it comes to knowing where they are and identifying duplicates. Your service should not go unnoticed nor unappreciated :)

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Thanks. I try my best @SirHenryLeeChaChing. As long as I bring more than my thread finding skills to the forum, I'm content.
    Much appreciated, @Samuel001. I've changed the thread to accomodate that.

Since I've already started a discussion about Creasy, let's stick with him this time, until next Friday (since the man deserves more than four days). After this, the nomimated user will be chosen via a voting process.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Well, I wasn't sure what this thread was about - the word "user" threw me - maybe it could be changed to "Forum Members Appreciation" or something ... and as I finish this, I see you changed it a bit. Friday Salute is great!

First of all, thanks for this positive thread, @StirredNotShaken - and also thank you, @Saunders, for your mention of me. I was so surprised to see my name mentioned. There are many member here who have thoughtful, well articulated posts, and I certainly enjoy reading your comments, too, @Saunders. I don't think I have ever heard you turn negative or be mean-spirited. And dyslexic or not, your posts are quite well written.

Positive, good contributors who make this forum great: Coming first to my mind are these folks so I do want to just give them a brief mention today: Sandy, SirHenryLeeChaChing, 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, Saunders, Creasy47, and thelivingroyale. They all add much depth, great conversation, thoughtfulness, and wit to the content of this forum. I could easily add 4 or 5 more folks, but I understand from reading the update that we will be taking our time with this, and saluting members one by one after a nomination. That's fine with me.

Now, to this week's salute: @Creasy47! You are a heck of a Bond fan and a Brosnan fan, too, which makes you special in my books. :-bd I always enjoy reading your posts. You can debate and discuss without turning nasty. Your love of Bond shines through - you have great enthusiasm and you are a very much appreciated member here at MI6. Well done indeed, and keep up the good work. Cheers!
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Not really complaining seriously, but why is it the young guys always seem to go first around here? The interview thread, now this. I think it should be "age before beauty", you never know how long some of us old fossils will be around ;). My friend Kerim is still missing :( Get all you can from the oldest fans before it's too late, just my opinion.

In the spirit of the discussion, I will say that my young friend who I affectionately call Crease is a good guy around here. He's not what I would call a "poser" as a fan nor in real life. He's himself. He likes what he likes, he smokes, he drinks, he loves to love the ladies and respects them too, and he's not ashamed to be himself even if someone doesn't like it. A lot like me and I'd welcome him in my home if he had nowhere to go because a guy like that you can trust. I don't know if he is quite as the feisty hellraiser like me as far as the circles I ran in, constantly beating on jealous twats who liked to abuse long haired guys because we got the girls they couldn't, waking up in the drunk tank on occasion, some stories I can't even repeat here, but suffice it to say I dig Creasy and will always have his back if and when he needs me :)

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Couldn't have said it better than SirHenry.

According to my contacts, Creasy is king of the local underworld. He goes by the alias "Earth's Overlord". Some worship him as the reincarnation of Jesus although many argue he's closer to Julius Caesar. Women fight for a chance to sleep with him and their men would be proud if they did. Creasy is a modest man, however, despite the fact that NASA already put his name on the list of "ten people we must save if the Earth is about to go boom". By my standards, Creasy is nothing less than a man who commands my respect, and my standards are pretty high; as an example, even Eva Green would have to ask me twice. Talking to Creasy is a good way to start the day and an even greater way to end it. I wonder if Lois Lane feels this good when Supes takes her for a fly.

The truth is that Creasy is a great pal to have around, discussing Bond and an unlimited range of other subjects, squeezing out jokes as well as seriousness when the time is right. Like brothers, we are, feeling when the other is in for a few good laughs or rather for a mature discussion.

So Creasy, I salute you and do so with vigour and a fanboy's rage. You are beautiful people, sir.
    You all are excellent. These kind words gave me a huge smile and some gave me a hearty laugh. I really appreciate the words, and with that, I appreciate all of you. This is always my go-to place for a smile, an interesting discussion, or a place just to be among people I can call friends whom I've never even met. With that, thank you all. I can't say I hear words as generous and nice as that too often, and it really, really means a lot to me.

What you've said about me, I could say the exact same right back to all of you. You guys and gals are the textbook definition of a great friend, and I appreciate knowing all of you to some degree, and would love to meet as many of you as I could in the near future.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited September 2013 Posts: 987
    Your a very worthy recipient of the Friday Salute @Creasy47, although I can't claim to know you as well as others (sometimes I think I'm far too socially awkward to be a proper forum member!), I have always enjoyed your many posts on James Bond, even if we may have different opinions regarding the merit of Pierce's films, it's clear you know your subject matter extremely well. I think your high post count is commendable as well, while it's always nice to read new members posts there's something very reassuring about logging in and being able to read current posts from familiar members who always have something worth reading and can always discuss in a friendly and constructive manner.
    So enjoy your well deserved Friday Salute, and I look forward to your continued greatly valued input.
    saunders wrote:
    Your a very worthy recipient of the Friday Salute @Creasy47, although I can't claim to know you as well as others (sometimes I think I'm far too socially awkward to be a proper forum member!), I have always enjoyed your many posts on James Bond, even if we may have different opinions regarding the merit of Pierce's films, it's clear you know your subject matter extremely well. I think your high post count is commendable as well, while it's always nice to read new members posts there's something very reassuring about logging in and being able to read current posts from familiar members who always have something worth reading and can always discuss in a friendly and constructive manner.
    So enjoy your well deserved Friday Salute, and I look forward to your continued greatly valued input.

Thank you! That means a lot. I know a lot of you don't hold Pierce in such a high place like I do, but I appreciate you all recognizing and accepting that it's just that: an opinion. I've seen people on here in the past where this certain Bond was the best (as if it was fact) and this Bond was the worst and nobody can like him. Is Brosnan my favorite? Yes. Is he the best Bond? Absolutely not. Connery can never lose that title for me.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited September 2013 Posts: 4,012
    I join in the salute to @Creasy47 smileys_celebrations.html#
    There are so many people here who deserve a salute. I'm sure I'm going to forget some but here I go: @4EverBonded (thanks for the salute!) and @Germanlady, my companions in female Bond-fandom, @SirHenryLeeChaChing, @DarthDimi, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 my fellow Holmesian, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs for his great reviews, @Marketto007 the one and only, @Pierce2Daniel, @Ludovico, @Samuel001, @RogueAgent, @QBranch, ...
    edited March 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Ah yes, @Creasy47. Known all around the world as the president of the International Pierce Brosnan fan club, he is always cocked and ready not unlike Bond's PPK. Danger is his middle name (probably), he eats his sandwiches without any bread, and the only traffic signal he pays any attention to is "GO". The likes of Moriarty and Voldemort barely utter his name, and when they do it is only in whispers. Driving 180 miles per hour down a winding road is like a cakewalk for him, and his first years of college were spent studying under the disciplines of Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Physics, and Advanced Calculus, but he quit enrolling not long after because it simply "wasn't challenging enough." The Mexican women must fan themselves feverishly before mentioning him and have since named him "El Trueno de el Norte" after his lively escapades all throughout the republic, which roughly translates to "The Thunder from Up North". He scores so much tail in a week that everyone near his residence have given his home the moniker of "Noah's Ark", Charlie "Winning" Sheen himself has admitted that in comparison to him he is a loser, and John Creasy himself called him one of the best agents he had ever served with. And, to top it all off, he may in fact be one of the roughly 56 offspring of secret agent James Bond, though we are still waiting for the DNA test results to come in.

To put it simply, @Creasy47 is one hell of a model human being and Bond fan. Ever since I joined this forum over two years ago now he has been a constant friend to me and great supporter of my artwork, and I have enjoyed all the discussions we have shared. His tastes in all things film are impeccable to say the least, his passion for Goldeneye and Pierce Brosnan admirable, and his devotion to this site and its members worthy of hearty applause. Hats off to you Creasy, and thanks for everything, mate.

archive-163.jpg
    You guys are the absolute best. Thank you so, so much.

Sincerley, 'The Thunder From Up North.'

Haha, absolutely rich, Brady. Your words mean a lot.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Appreciate the "one and only" dear @Sandy. A salute to all my friends from here, cheers from Brazil. :)
    I love the start this thread is off to.

For the record, voting for Creasy's successor will begin Monday, and that will continue for every week.
    It was quite a grand idea, @StirredNotShaken. Well done. :)
    Can't really beat a feel-good thread like this. I don't deserve all this praise, but I'll admit, these kind words put me in a fantastic mood every time I read them. I really appreciate it, you guys, really means a lot. I can't stress that enough.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 2,400
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Can't really beat a feel-good thread like this. I don't deserve all this praise, but I'll admit, these kind words put me in a fantastic mood every time I read them. I really appreciate it, you guys, really means a lot. I can't stress that enough.

You're a terrible liar. Really, you need to be much better at it. :P

And with that this is now the Creasy Criticisms Thread. Best name ever, no?
  • There are loads of people who I think deserve a mention. Dimi, Brady, Creasy, RC7, SirHenry, Wizard, 4EverBonded, Samuel, Sandy, bondsum, MajorDSmythe, and many more.

For now though lets focus on Creasy, he's a nice guy, probably the biggest Brosnan fan on here, and someone who I've had lots of discussions with (and found myself agreeing with a lot). Definitely deserves the praise he's getting.
    Thanks, guys.

@StirredNotShaken, haha. Just 180 and spend the next few days ripping me a new one. Spice it up!
    Yeah I forgot to mention that, the second half of everyone's week of fame is a week of shame.

Let's just start the insults now. I loathe prime numbers so your username does absolutely nothing for me. Trololololo
  • This is a wonderful thread idea, @StirredNotShaken. A tribute to this forum as a whole for having such an admirable community, and for providing us all with such spirited comrades-in-arms! I haven't had the opportunity to know Creasy as well as some of you, so I haven't much to say regarding either his fame or his shame -- but he is obviously a heck of a nice guy, and there's no shame to be found there! I just wanted to let him know that I'll be reviewing Goldeneye in just a few weeks now, over in the "Originals" topic thread that SirHenry moderates. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy that movie...and as you are such a well-known Brosnan fan, I hope I can be suitably merciful to DAD as well!
    This is a wonderful thread idea, @StirredNotShaken. A tribute to this forum as a whole for having such an admirable community, and for providing us all with such spirited comrades-in-arms! I haven't had the opportunity to know Creasy as well as some of you, so I haven't much to say regarding either his fame or his shame -- but he is obviously a heck of a nice guy, and there's no shame to be found there! I just wanted to let him know that I'll be reviewing Goldeneye in just a few weeks now, over in the "Originals" topic thread that SirHenry moderates. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy that movie...and as you are such a well-known Brosnan fan, I hope I can be suitably merciful to DAD as well!

I look forward to reading the review! And good luck, but you needn't worry, I'll admit that DAD is nowhere near perfect. ;-)