Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2013 - present)

Comments

• jolearon wrote:
    Yeah, I wish Disney would just buy out the rights to X-Men and Spider-Man so we can see a helluva Avengers 3. Come on Disney, use some of that Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar money, give the fans what they want.

You can't buy what people aren't willing to sell :D Sony's top franchise after Bond is Spider Man. But apparently Fox only gets to keep the rights as long as a X-Men film come out every 2-3 years (which can't really last because how many stories are there about Wolverine and how many prequels can they fill with First Class?)
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 3,564
    Well let's see: there are half a dozen ongoing monthly X-Men books, plus 50 years' worth of back issues. I think they'll be able to come out with a film every couple of years without actually having to create any new plots for a long, long time!
    Then the individual origin stories. Lots to cover, I guess. Blah.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    jolearon wrote:
    Yeah, I wish Disney would just buy out the rights to X-Men and Spider-Man so we can see a helluva Avengers 3. Come on Disney, use some of that Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar money, give the fans what they want.

You can't buy what people aren't willing to sell :D Sony's top franchise after Bond is Spider Man. But apparently Fox only gets to keep the rights as long as a X-Men film come out every 2-3 years (which can't really last because how many stories are there about Wolverine and how many prequels can they fill with First Class?)

Well, there are hundreds of stories that could all be changed to accommodate the First Class crew, plus there are more stories they could tell with the cast of the main trilogy. Hell, if FOX is smart, they'll turn X-Men into a live-action TV series and start pumping out 22 stories a year to catch up with the comics 50 years of stories.

Boo
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    OOOOOHHHHH Shocker.
  • Amy Pascal is in the target of Daniel Loeb, whose plan proposal made the stock of Sony go about 10% up in one day, so I'm afraid a "never" from her doesn't mean much now :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The series opener rocked IMO!!!
    Bring on more! Yeah, baby!!
    I enjoyed the pilot. Spoiler-tagged below in case some people still haven't watched the pilot.
    I'm extremely intrigued as to what happened to Coulson between The Avengers and Agents of SHIELD, because it's implied that even he doesn't know what happened to him.

(Cue Samuel L. Jackson's guest starring episode to explain it all, please.)

I was a little surprised that Extremis (from Iron Man 3, if you haven't seen the movie yet) made an appearance. That was extremely good timing on Marvel/Disney's part, premiering the show on the same day Iron Man 3 came out on DVD/Blu-Ray. I fully expect AIM to show up later, since to my knowledge, the remnants of AIM and Tony Stark are the only ones in possession of Extremis.

There were some good nods to the comics, like one character saying something about a "Journey into mystery!" and the very appearance of Maria Hill, even if it is a limited role until Cobie Smulders finishes out her How I Met Your Mother tenure. I like how there are now toys of the Avengers (Tony Stark's gotta have his hand in that).

There are some things I'm not sure about. In regards to the "Centipede", Chitauri technology and gamma radiation are probably easy to come by in a Post-Battle of New York world, but where the hell did the "Centipede"'s creators get access to Dr. Erskine's Super Soldier formula when the only samples seem to be Captain America's DNA, Emil Blonsky's DNA and General Ross's storage room? Why, exactly, couldn't Coulson have said "Where we're going, we don't need roads" when "Lola" demonstrated the ability to fly? (On an unrelated note: Good work ABC, showing a shot of a flying car just before you premiere a show about the 80s. That was extremely good timing.) Something tells me that's probably the last time we get to see "Lola" fly (though, to be honest, I would enjoy thirty minutes of watching that beauty just drive on the road, so this might not be a bad thing) before the season finale.

All-in-all, a damn good first episode to a series that looks like it'll be a hit. They packed in a lot in this first episode, from references to The Avengers to references to the Avengers themselves, though I hope the series doesn't come to rely on those references (to an extent, they have to have the references, since this a shared universe what with the TV show, the movies and the tie-in comics, too).
    jolearon wrote:

Boo

I have always been surprised that Spiderman didn't have some sort of mash up or interaction with the X Men!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I have always been surprised that Spiderman didn't have some sort of mash up or interaction with the X Men!

Sony and FOX are still two different companies.

Plus, Hugh Jackman, apparently, I read this in an IGN article, was supposed to be in Spider-Man 1, but they couldn't find his costume.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 2,015
    So, is there a lot of Paris in the show ? There was a lot in the trailers. Please answer without spoiling please.
    It's the opening of the pilot. Not very long, won't tell you what happens.
  • Ok so I guess they won't come back at Paris during the season !
    You never can tell.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Watched the pilot last night. I thought it was ok and the characters were ok, but I'll stick around and see what happens. I kinda buy the story they gave for Coulson for him being there, but it seems like there might be more to it. I wonder if they will throw in some more Thor stuff once the movie comes out?
    Could be, they probably scheduled all this to fit at exact moments.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The plan going forward will be two films in the Summer with the series from September to May. Marvel all year round.
    I don't see a problem with that.
    Other than this, my entire post is going to be a spoiler.
    The second episode was pretty good. The opening started off strong, with a shot of the plane from the outside, then a hole is blown open in the side of it, and a guy is sucked out for a 30,000 foot drop.

Then we get the story of how it happened. First, Coulson and his team are sent to Peru to find something, which turns out to be a piece of Tesseract technology with similarities to Hydra technology. A group of Peruvian soldiers shows up, and then there's a pretty good firefight with a group of rebels. All of this leads to everybody getting on the plane.

From here, we get some character building between the team, and between Coulson and the commander of the Peruvian soldiers, a woman named Reyes, who Coulson had a prior "relationship" with.

Then, the sh*t hits the fan, and it turns out the soldiers are trying to retrieve the piece of technology, but Coulson's team found it first. They take over the plane, capture the team, and it takes quite a bit of ingenuity from a now-working-together team before they can retake the plane, by blowing a hole in the side of it. Sucking a guy out of the hole. For a 30,000 foot drop.

Long story short, Coulson's team retakes the plane, the Tesseract device (it never gets a name other than "The 0-8-4") is launched toward the sun, and Fury (yes, Nick Fury gets angry at Coulson for wrecking the plane, and refuses to allow him a fish tank.

I felt the second episode was better than the first, if for no other reason than Nick Fury showing up at the end (there was a running gag involving Agent Ward telling Fitz, or Simmons, whichever one is which, that he should speak English; I would have loved it if Fury continued this at the end by just shouting "English motherf*cker, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!"), but on the whole, it was just an awesome episode, and I feel that the show can only go up from here.
    Yeah, it was a winner.
    This is how Joss rolls, start slow, build characterization, then pull the rip cord when you least expect it.
    I like this show too. Episoede 2 was beter than 1 and episode 3 was better than 2. I'm glad that "Agents of SHIELD" will have full season of 22 episodes
    PS. Nick Fury cameo in "0-8-4" was epic :)
    Also I'm still waiting for car chase (like 007 car chases) with "Lola".
    Yeah, but, Lola can fly. Kind of a one-sided car chase when one of the vehicles has mastery over the air as well as the road.

It is nice to see that Howard Stark actually finished that gravitic reversion technology he was working on in '43.

With Fury's cameo in "0-8-4", I do see a great deal of doors opening up as to who can guest star in future episodes. May we, one day, see Coulson's team go on a mission with Tony Stark (with or without the armor)? Can Thor pop in from Asgard to make jokes with the Son of Coul? (I think Asgard had something to do with Coulson's resurrection anyway, because he says Tahiti was a "magical" place. However, a lot of people on the IMDB are saying either clone or Life Model Decoy, and I hope it's not the latter.) This one was pushed forward on IMDB, but can we, one day, have "Hulk Smash Graviton!"? Because that would just be f*cking awesome.

Back when The Avengers came out, I had a feeling that Coulson's death would just be brushed past in the next movie. I thought that in Iron Man 3, Coulson would just show up talking to Tony and Tony would say something along the lines of "Y'know, that whole 'faking your death' thing was kind of a dick move." Maybe we could have that scene in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • The dialogue in this show can be painful at times, and the special effects can be kind of dodgy, which is to be expected on a superhero TV show. The idea behind it is nice, and Coulson continues to bring his a-game, proving why he took off in the films.

I do not see Nick Fury's cameo berating Coulson getting beaten for best moment in the series any time soon.
    Yeah, but, Lola can fly. Kind of a one-sided car chase when one of the vehicles has mastery over the air as well as the road.

Yes I know but I'm a such a fan of Lola. I want to see some gadgets in action. "Lola" can fly away (and it would be nice to see that again) but before flight, she could show us that she knows how to defend herself.

I'm a big fan of Lola as well. There are three things I want to see from this series:

1) Badass episodes
    2) Lola
    3) Skye in that pink dress from "The Asset"

Much as I want more of Lola, #'s 1 and 3 are the important ones.
    3) Skye in that pink dress from "The Asset"

@chrisisall ROFL HAHAHA
    I think this series is doing well and it seems it's going to follow right into Avengers 2. Looking forward! I've been watching this and the Blacklist, which is also good.
    I honestly can't wait to see how it's going to tie into future films. An "aftermath" episode for Thor The Dark World airs on the 19th, and I'm almost certain there'll be one for Captain America The Winter Soldier.