Peter Fleming, the brother of the other

edited September 2013 in Literary 007 Posts: 14,800
I am not sure if it is the right place to put this thread, but this is as close as I can find. Anybody knows about him? He also wrote fiction, although as far as I know not spy fiction, but I was lucky enough to read a neat little horror story from him, which I found in The Pan Book of Horror Stories.

Comments

• saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited September 2013 Posts: 987
    I have a biography of him written by Duff Hart-Davis, haven't got round to reading it yet nor have I read either of his most travel famous books Brazilian Adventure or News from Tartary, I believe he wrote one espionage novel The Sixth Column: A singular tale of our times which is thought to of partly inspired his younger brother Ian to have a go (I seem to recall reading somewhere that it even had a character named Moneypenny in it).
    Already a famous author, during the war he worked in the Axillary Units and Military deception and occasionally met with Ian in a working capacity. After the war he married Celia Johnson, the beautiful actress from Brief Encounter (written by Ian's future neighbour Noel Coward).
    What's the horror story called, and is it any good?
    Thursday 26th September - Channel 5 - 7.00pm - 8.00pm -
    'James Bond: The True Story' (will be repeated)..

"How author Ian Fleming developed his ideas for his series of novels about spy James Bond, who has featured in a movie franchise spanning 50 years. The programme delves into the war records of two people to have inspired the character of 007. Fleming's elder brother Peter, who served with distinction in the Second World War, and Patrick Dalzel-Job, who led commando missions in Norway before working with the novelist in naval intelligence"
    saunders wrote:
    I have a biography of him written by Duff Hart-Davis, haven't got round to reading it yet nor have I read either of his most travel famous books Brazilian Adventure or News from Tartary, I believe he wrote one espionage novel The Sixth Column: A singular tale of our times which is thought to of partly inspired his younger brother Ian to have a go (I seem to recall reading somewhere that it even had a character named Moneypenny in it).
    Already a famous author, during the war he worked in the Axillary Units and Military deception and occasionally met with Ian in a working capacity. After the war he married Celia Johnson, the beautiful actress from Brief Encounter (written by Ian's future neighbour Noel Coward).
    What's the horror story called, and is it any good?

It was a predictable story, but a very nice classic one. Very atmospheric too. It was called The Kill.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    (Couldn't find a better thread)

A 1911 Census of England and Wales:

D2wXLf5XgAAnoL-.png

Michael Fleming was not born yet, but who could be "George" Fleming, one month old? He must be Richard, who was born in 1911.

Was the census wrong? Did their parents think of giving him another name?
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 2,887
    Perhaps George was a mistakenly entered middle name?

The Spectator has a couple of articles on Peter Fleming, one from his daughter Kate Grimond and the other by Ian's stepdaughter Fionn Morgan.

Several of Peter's books are still in print: News from Tartary: An Epic Journey Across Central Asia; Operation Sea Lion: Hitler's Plot to Invade England; Brazilian Adventure: A Quest into the Heart of the Amazon; and To Peking: A Forgotten Journey from Moscow to Manchuria.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I read Brazilian Adventure recently. It's very funny and well-written - a lighthearted account of what must at times have been a miserable and scary trip.