Future of Bond movies: Optimistic or Pessimistic?

124»

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I was gonna say to both @chrisisall and @TheWiz that I really don't think that's the aspect of DAD you should be focusing on! ;-)
    Sorry, side discussion.

Back on topic: I'm optimistic. Bond goes here, Bond goes there, Bond always changes, and that's what keeps the franchise fresh & alive.

• chrisisall wrote:
    I was gonna say to both @chrisisall and @TheWiz that I really don't think that's the aspect of DAD you should be focusing on! ;-)
    Sorry, side discussion.

Back on topic: I'm optimistic. Bond goes here, Bond goes there, Bond always changes, and that's what keeps the franchise fresh & alive.

That's been EON's philosophy since 1971. Adapt and survive. Plus, actors like different spins than the guy before.

• edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    chrisisall wrote:
    Sorry, side discussion.

People miss that point all too often.
    My discussion with The Wiz notwithstanding, I'm glad of Craig's tenure. No, he's not my favourite actor, but this run is so much better than Beach Boy music or Bond in space. Plus, it's given me one of my favourites (QOS, yeah, I know...). :)>-
    Speaking of runs, and what I really mean is "the runs", you forgot the latter half of your beloved Brozzer's tenure ;)

Speaking of runs, and what I really mean is "the runs", you forgot the latter half of your beloved Brozzer's tenure ;)

No, TWINE was fine, and DAD could be re-titled as It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad Bond! :))
    TWINE is fine if you enjoy psychobabble in a mindless sort of way. It can't even make up it's mind who the lead villain is, two bimbo doctors, ugh, the list of transgressions is endless.

DAD defies description.
  • You could say the villain ambiguity applies to From Russia With Love also then ?

TWINE is my favorite Brosnan release, and Richards apart, is one damn fine action adventure. Probably the best pre credits sequence as well, of the entire series, but it's arguably the point in time where Brosnan should of stepped down from the part - and gone out on a high note
    it's arguably the point in time where Brosnan should of stepped down from the part - and gone out on a high note
    Didn't you get the memo? We're not allowed to like TWINE because Renard wasn't the Oddjob he could have potentially been, Richards couldn't act (so crucial to Bond film girls, don't you know), and Brosnan played Bond.
    ;)
  • TWINE is fine if you enjoy psychobabble in a mindless sort of way. It can't even make up it's mind who the lead villain is, two bimbo doctors, ugh, the list of transgressions is endless.

Bad,bad TWINE! Giving us the last original screenplay (and the first since FYEO) with a believable and logical storyline, a convincing and great looking villainess and some great eye candy (yes,I'm talking about Mrs.Richards).How dare you? Shame on you!
    Well I suppose that if one enjoys a clusterf**k of a script that's so poorly acted and directed that you can predict what's coming the first time you watch it with your eyes closed, why not? My friend, a doctor and professor of psychology, would tell you that this case of Stockholm Syndrome is much more Hollywood than logical, yet alone believable. No better than Silva's escape from MI6 custody. We should like that better than a script with great acting, an equal amount of eye candy, all based on the first Fleming novel, right?

Now please crawl back under your rock :)
    My friend, a doctor and professor of psychology, would tell you that this case of Stockholm Syndrome is much more Hollywood than logical
    Ummm, wouldn't that be Pinewood?
    :))
  • chrisisall wrote:
    My friend, a doctor and professor of psychology, would tell you that this case of Stockholm Syndrome is much more Hollywood than logical
    Ummm, wouldn't that be Pinewood?
    :))

:)) Now if that isn't nitpicking

:)) Now if that isn't nitpicking
    LOL, no, seriously! 'Hollywood' (either positively used or negatively) seems to rob the UK of it's movie-making importance IMO. If the movie is a UK production, why can't one say "That's so Pinewood" concerning something overly fictionalised for a film?

Hoo-ray for Pine-ine-wood!
  • Fair point, but when Hollywood is marketing, distributing, and has input on almost everything...it's a Pinewood/Hollywood partnership if we're getting technical. That's what some are screaming about, Bond is stealing from Hollywood, the lines are so blurred it's hard to tell who calls what shots anymore.
    the lines are so blurred it's hard to tell who calls what shots anymore.
    Can we get a UK opinion here? Is "Hollywood" a cover term for all movies marketed through it? Is it fair to say, "The Hollywood-ization of Bond?"
    I've always thought of Pinewood as being the classy & intelligent version of Hollywood myself. But even they have their dumb-down moments.
    I use the term Hollywood to mean the film industry overall, including EON.
  • Well I suppose that if one enjoys a clusterf**k of a script that's so poorly acted and directed that you can predict what's coming the first time you watch it with your eyes closed, why not? My friend, a doctor and professor of psychology, would tell you that this case of Stockholm Syndrome is much more Hollywood than logical, yet alone believable. No better than Silva's escape from MI6 custody. We should like that better than a script with great acting, an equal amount of eye candy, all based on the first Fleming novel, right?

Just FYI, "original" means not based on ...you name it ( which is tremendously more dificult to do) and still TWINE manages to have a much more compelling and logical sound story than CR. Also, Electra is not suffering of Stockholm syndrom (at least not when we meet her), she is in control. Obviously one of so many points you seem to miss along with the ability to appreciate a good story (or to recognize a really Bad one for that matter).
  • Matt_Helm wrote:
    Well I suppose that if one enjoys a clusterf**k of a script that's so poorly acted and directed that you can predict what's coming the first time you watch it with your eyes closed, why not? My friend, a doctor and professor of psychology, would tell you that this case of Stockholm Syndrome is much more Hollywood than logical, yet alone believable. No better than Silva's escape from MI6 custody. We should like that better than a script with great acting, an equal amount of eye candy, all based on the first Fleming novel, right?

Just FYI, "original" means not based on ...you name it ( which is tremendously more dificult to do) and still TWINE manages to have a much more compelling and logical sound story than CR. Also, Electra is not suffering of Stockholm syndrom (at least not when we meet her), she is in control. Obviously one of so many points you seem to miss along with the ability to appreciate a good story (or to recognize a really Bad one for that matter).

=))