The Overrated Thread

edited September 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,483
This is for features most overrated by serious Bond fans.

Most Overrated Bond Film: GF
Most Overrated Title Track: All Time High
Most Overrated Title Credits: DAD
Most Overrated PTS: OP
Most Overrated Score: YOLT
Most Overrated Villain: Blofeld (YOLT)
Most Overrated Ally: Jack Wade (TND)
Most Overrated Bond Girl: Lupe (LTK)
Most Overrated Minor Character: Godfrey Tibbett (AVTAK)
Most Overrated Henchman: Oddjob (GF)

Comments

This is for features most overrated by serious Bond fans.

Most Overrated Bond Film: GF
    Most Overrated Title Track: All Time High
    Most Overrated Title Credits: DAD
    Most Overrated PTS: OP
    Most Overrated Score: YOLT
    Most Overrated Villain: Blofeld (YOLT)
    Most Overrated Ally: Jack Wade (TND)
    Most Overrated Bond Girl: Lupe (LTK)
    Most Overrated Minor Character: Godfrey Tibbett (AVTAK)
    Most Overrated Henchman: Oddjob (GF)

Lupe most overrated Bond girl? By who? I consider her very underrated.
    Most Overrated Bond Film: Skyfall
    Most Overrated Title Track: Goldeneye
    Most Overrated Title Credits: CR
    Most Overrated PTS: DAF
    Most Overrated Score: FYEO
    Most Overrated Villain: Renard
    Most Overrated Ally: Q (all of them)
    Most Overrated Bond Girl: Wai Len
    Most Overrated Minor Character: JW Pepper
    Most Overrated Henchman: Stamper
  • oo7oo7
    Perdogg wrote:

totally, still great cinematography
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    GF AND Oddjob overrated? Nonsense.

Most Overrated Bond Film: GE
    Most Overrated Title Track: TLD
    Most Overrated Title Credits: DN
    Most Overrated PTS: GE
    Most Overrated Score: TB
    Most Overrated Villain: Hugo Drax (MR)
    Most Overrated Ally: Vijay (OP)
    Most Overrated Bond Girl: Corinne (MR)
    Most Overrated Minor Character: General Ourumov (GE)
    Most Overrated Henchman: Chang (MR)

Most Overrated Bond Film: Goldfinger
    Most Overrated Title Track: Live and Let Die
    Most Overrated Title Credits: Skyfall
    Most Overrated PTS: TMWTGG
    Most Overrated Villain: Hugo Drax (MR). Disgrace to the novel's counterpart.
    Most Overrated Ally: Jack Lord's Felix (DN)
    Most Overrated Bond Girl: Octopussy
    Most Overrated Minor Character: Kincade (SF)
    Most Overrated Henchman: Wint and Kidd (DAF)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Most Overrated Bond Film: Goldfinger
    Most Overrated Title Track: A View To A Kill
    Most Overrated Title Credits: Dr. No
    Most Overrated PTS: OHMSS
    Most Overrated Score: QoS
    Most Overrated Villain: Blofeld
    Most Overrated Ally: Fields
    Most Overrated Bond Girl: Vesper
    Most Overrated Minor Character: VeeJay
    Most Overrated Henchman: Patrice
    Man the Goldfinger haters are out in force. Everyone calls out Bond not doing anything in custody as the reason, while missing the entire point of all of it.

So misunderstood :(
    Man the Goldfinger haters are out in force. So misunderstood :(
    Hey, it's anyone's right to like or dislike any movie they please....

But I agree with you full on, @SirHenryLeeChaChing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Most Overrated Bond Film: FYEO
    Most Overrated Title Track: LALD
    Most Overrated Title Credits: TSWLM
    Most Overrated PTS: TND
    Most Overrated Score: SF
    Most Overrated Villain: Blofeld
    Most Overrated Ally: Felix (Dr.No)
    Most Overrated Bond Girl: Elektra King
    Most Overrated Minor Character: Q (sorry Des)
    Most Overrated Henchman: Jaws
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

My personal opinion that it's somewhat boring and doesn't deserve to be the Media's choice as Best Bond film. Thunderball was a vast improvement. I don't hate GF but It's not as good as the media says it is.
    I don't hate it. I just don't think it's amazing. Iconic? Yes. Important? Absolutely. Good? Sure. But many subsequent films in the series did what GF did, much better.
  • SJK91 wrote:

Thanks for the support. Of course everyone is entitled to have one. It's what makes the world go round.

I never pay any attention to the critics, but it seems they see something I do, because the masterful psychological game Bond plays with Goldfinger is anything but boring IMHO.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,727
    SJK91 wrote:

Thanks for the support. Of course everyone is entitled to have one. It's what makes the world go round.

I never pay any attention to the critics, but it seems they see something I do, because the masterful psychological game Bond plays with Goldfinger is anything but boring IMHO.

In the masterful laser beam sequence very much agreed, though the film is not at the top of my ratings.
    oo7 wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

totally, still great cinematography

I agree, beautiful film visually.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:

In the masterful laser beam sequence very much agreed, though the film is not at the top of my ratings.

And this is my point exactly. Goldfinger is a bunch of great, iconic scenes (the PTS, Jill covered in paint, laser beam, Oddjob decapitates the statue) surrounded by dull or poorly executed scenes (Kentucky, everything with Tilly, the golf game, Fort Knox, the very poor ending on the plane).
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,727
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:

And this is my point exactly. Goldfinger is a bunch of great, iconic scenes (the PTS, Jill covered in paint, laser beam, Oddjob decapitates the statue) surrounded by dull or poorly executed scenes (Kentucky, everything with Tilly, the golf game, Fort Knox, the very poor ending on the plane).

Yes, it could be said that its parts are somewhat more impressive than its whole.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:

I wish they would make Goldfinger today. There are things that got lost in the film morality of the 1960s.
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:

I wish they would make Goldfinger today. There are things that got lost in the film morality of the 1960s.

Yes, and the same could be said of Dr. No.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 2,400
    My other issue is kind of Connery. He's having loads of fun and he does a great job, but I've always opined that GF is where the Fleming in his performance more or less fell away from him.

Also, like it or not, Goldfinger is basically responsible for some of the most derided entries that came after (YOLT, DAF, MR, DAD).
    My other issue is kind of Connery. He's having loads of fun and he does a great job, but I've always opined that GF is where the Fleming in his performance more or less fell away from him.

That's true too; film Bond here took over.

Also, like it or not, Goldfinger is basically responsible for some of the most derided entries that came after (YOLT, DAF, MR, DAD).

I blame any flaws in Connery's performance directly on Hamilton's direction. Hamilton however did with his sense of flamboyance help create the iconic superspy, so it's a bit of a tradeoff there. Otherwise his performance is quite similar to his role as Mark Rutland in Marnie, including the "faux rape" of Pussy that he actually carries out on Marnie after he blackmails her into marriage. A good deal of it though I find Flemingesque enough when you look around the flamboyant parts, certainly more than most of the two "playboy" era films for that particular quality.

I find Kentucky to be very well done personally. Not at all boring when you realize Bond is only under the amount of control he allows Goldfinger to have. He knows the CIA is watching him if he needs to be extricated, but he doesn't alert them until he knows the plan, and then sticks around to sabotage him when Goldfinger goes to put his plan into action. Tilly was very minor and not very important, but the character was quite close to the novel as far as a tangible resistance to his charms that a true lesbian would demonstrate.

The golf game was very Fleming, but things got a bit rushed and poorly edited at Fort Knox with the bomb countdown. And most people feel the end with Goldfinger sucked out of the plane is just fine. Now if one has convinced themselves to be anti-critic or nonconformist at every turn, it's easy to dismiss the above.
  • Most Overrated Bond Film: Goldfinger
    Most Overrated Title Track: Live and Let Die
    Most Overrated Title Credits: Skyfall
    Most Overrated PTS: TMWTGG
    Most Overrated Villain: Hugo Drax (MR). Disgrace to the novel's counterpart.
    Most Overrated Ally: Jack Lord's Felix (DN)
    Most Overrated Bond Girl: Octopussy
    Most Overrated Minor Character: Kincade (SF)
    Most Overrated Henchman: Wint and Kidd (DAF)

I rarely hear praise for FYEO's score. In fact, it seems to come in for a pretty regular ragging.

Although I really like Lonsdale's Drax, I wholeheartedly agree that he's nothing like Fleming's magnificent character. I would really love to see Fleming's Drax faithfully realized on film.

I was tempted to mark Kincade as my overrated minor character, although I still think he's pretty good.

• Man the Goldfinger haters are out in force. Everyone calls out Bond not doing anything in custody as the reason, while missing the entire point of all of it.

I call GF out because it just leaves me flat. I suppose it was a revelation in '64, but I much prefer DN, FRWL, TB and OHMSS to GF.

A lot of these were hard. Pretty much all of the scores get about what they deserve IMO. However I consider FYEO to have the worst score in the series and see it occasionally praised. That made it win out. I like Kincade but there really wasn't any other candidate for me except maybe Tilly.
  • My other issue is kind of Connery. He's having loads of fun and he does a great job, but I've always opined that GF is where the Fleming in his performance more or less fell away from him.

You may be right. He certainly was nowhere near as intense as he was in DN, and possibly FRWL as well.

• Man the Goldfinger haters are out in force. Everyone calls out Bond not doing anything in custody as the reason, while missing the entire point of all of it.

I call GF out because it just leaves me flat. I suppose it was a revelation in '64, but I much prefer DN, FRWL, TB and OHMSS to GF.

I certainly would not try to dissuade you from that view, but I made some very valid points above that everyone who shares your view seems to much consider when tossing out terms such as "boring" or even "flat".

• My other issue is kind of Connery. He's having loads of fun and he does a great job, but I've always opined that GF is where the Fleming in his performance more or less fell away from him.

I blame any flaws in Connery's performance directly on Hamilton's direction. Hamilton however did with his sense of flamboyance help create the iconic superspy, so it's a bit of a tradeoff there. Otherwise his performance is quite similar to his role as Mark Rutland in Marnie, including the "faux rape" of Pussy that he actually carries out on Marnie after he blackmails her into marriage. A good deal of it though I find Flemingesque enough when you look around the flamboyant parts, certainly more than most of the two "playboy" era films for that particular quality.

I find Kentucky to be very well done personally. Not at all boring when you realize Bond is only under the amount of control he allows Goldfinger to have. He knows the CIA is watching him if he needs to be extricated, but he doesn't alert them until he knows the plan, and then sticks around to sabotage him when Goldfinger goes to put his plan into action. Tilly was very minor and not very important, but the character was quite close to the novel as far as a tangible resistance to his charms that a true lesbian would demonstrate.

The golf game was very Fleming, but things got a bit rushed and poorly edited at Fort Knox with the bomb countdown. And most people feel the end with Goldfinger sucked out of the plane is just fine. Now if one has convinced themselves to be anti-critic or nonconformist at every turn, it's easy to dismiss the above.

I actually consider much of the Kentucky setting to be the best bit of GF. It's a nice little 1964 time capsule.

I love the old time diner signs and the original signage on the KFC- it would be interesting to know if the Muldraugh location was one of the Colonel's first franchises. I know we didn't have a standalone one where I grew up in Media, PA, KFC came in when I was in first or second grade and was outletted through the Gino's burger chain.

I love both KFC and Popeye's, but the best fried chicken I ever ate was at a soul food joint called Sugarbaker's in Ridgeland, SC. Good to be pals with a local in this case.
    I love the old time diner signs and the original signage on the KFC- it would be interesting to know if the Muldraugh location was one of the Colonel's first franchises. I know we didn't have a standalone one where I grew up in Media, PA, KFC came in when I was in first or second grade and was outletted through the Gino's burger chain.

I love both KFC and Popeye's, but the best fried chicken I ever ate was at a soul food joint called Sugarbaker's in Ridgeland, SC. Good to be pals with a local in this case.

The KFC in GF is actually at 701 NW 119th St Miami, FL 33168 if you want to make a pilgrimage.
  • I love the old time diner signs and the original signage on the KFC- it would be interesting to know if the Muldraugh location was one of the Colonel's first franchises. I know we didn't have a standalone one where I grew up in Media, PA, KFC came in when I was in first or second grade and was outletted through the Gino's burger chain.

Agreed completely on the signage. Rare indeed is the huge rotating bucket of chicken that used to be Colonel Sanders' advertising trademark. Hell, they've even changed the name to KFC (apparently the word "fried" is now verboten), and dropped the image of the Colonel (presumably so as not to offend those who despise the old South).

We've had Colonel Sanders in Lubbock for as long as I can remember, as well as Church's, and more recently Popeye's and a really good Texas chain called Golden Chick. I love 'em all, to tell the truth.