Worst Bond song

Comments

AWTD, easily. At least DAD, though ever so slightly, resembles music. DAD, TMWTGG, MR, TND, and ATH are all worthy contenders.

Will never understand how anyone can even dislike YOLT.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 11,189
    AWTD, easily. At least DAD, though ever so slightly, resembles music. DAD, TMWTGG, MR, TND, and ATH are all worthy contenders.

Ha, I've got new respect for MR after listening to it at the dentist while having my teeth drilled last year. Suprisingly relaxing.

TND isn't all that bad but its a crime Surrender wasn't used in the final cut instead.
    Surrender is a million times better. Also, I want to correct my statement about DAD: it grotesquely resembles music.
  • AWTD or TND for me. Shame because AWTD starts off brilliantly.
  • May as well update my top 5 worst list-

1. DAD- NO Madonna, James Bond does NOT NEED TECHNO! The most gutless and soulless music (if you can call techno music) ever created. It's scary to think that she wrote a better song for Austin Powers.

2. AWTD- I can still take this a lot better in comparison because it's based on rock rather than garbage. It's only when Keys starts wailing the "whoah's" like a wounded animal during the bridge that it gets the total DAD mute treatment the rest of the way.

3. TND- Shameless Beatles ripoff, and not well done either.

4. TMWTGG- I can listen to it, but Lulu herself said it best- she sounds like Ethel Merman here.

5. FRWL/OP- Both have dated terribly, can't decide which one more than the other.

• AWTD, easily. At least DAD, though ever so slightly, resembles music. DAD, TMWTGG, MR, TND, and ATH are all worthy contenders.

Well said. There's little about AWTD that reminds one of music. YOLT, OTOH, is gorgeous, even if Nancy only just pulls it off.
  • May as well update my top 5 worst list-

1. DAD- NO Madonna, James Bond does NOT NEED TECHNO! The most gutless and soulless music (if you can call techno music) ever created. It's scary to think that she wrote a better song for Austin Powers.

2. AWTD- I can still take this a lot better in comparison because it's based on rock rather than garbage. It's only when Keys starts wailing the "whoah's" like a wounded animal during the bridge that it gets the total DAD mute treatment the rest of the way.

4. TMWTGG- I can listen to it, but Lulu herself said it best- she sounds like Ethel Merman here.

5. FRWL/OP- Both have dated terribly, can't decide which one more than the other.

I don't mind FRWL. It's got a certain nostalgic charm, and Munro sings it well. OP, OTOH, bores me stiff. It's not obnoxious, merely anodyne.

May as well update my top 5 worst list-

I don't mind FRWL. It's got a certain nostalgic charm, and Munro sings it well. OP, OTOH, bores me stiff. It's not obnoxious, merely anodyne.

I like FRWL but its certainly very "60s". The sort of song thats on a "Best of the soothing 60s" album that your dad owns.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

Well said. There's little about AWTD that reminds one of music. YOLT, OTOH, is gorgeous, even if Nancy only just pulls it off.

Well said about Nancy; I think that describes her singing well. Just makes it. Like she had to strain past her natural limited vocal range, or practice a zillion times. I'd really love to hear another singer sing this song - the song itself is so lovely, beautiful arrangement, haunting and fit the film so well. Does anyone know if there is another cover version of YOLT by a good singer ? I'd sincerely like to hear it. Thanks!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Well said about Nancy; I think that describes her singing well. Just makes it. Like she had to strain past her natural limited vocal range, or practice a zillion times. I'd really love to hear another singer sing this song - the song itself is so lovely, beautiful arrangement, haunting and fit the film so well. Does anyone know if there is another cover version of YOLT by a good singer ? I'd sincerely like to hear it. Thanks!

If you watch the 'Bonds Greatest Hits' doc on YouTube John Barry describes how she never managed to nail every aspect of it in one take so they had to stitch the final version together from various different takes. To be fair to Nancy in the same clip she says she did the best she could and you can see she's sincere.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 418

If you watch the 'Bonds Greatest Hits' doc on YouTube John Barry describes how she never managed to nail every aspect of it in one take so they had to stitch the final version together from various different takes. To be fair to Nancy in the same clip she says she did the best she could and you can see she's sincere.

Apparently John Barry wanted Aretha Franklin to perform the song, but the producers insisted that he used Nancy, who was enjoying great popularity around this time with her huge hit 'These Boots Are Made for Walking'. 'You Only Live Twice' was recorded with a 60 piece orchestra, and i remember seeing an interview with Nancy Sinatra where she said that she was so nervous at the time, that it took around 30 takes to acquire enough material for the complete song, where Barry edited the song together out of around 25 takes.

A singer named Julie Rogers recorded the title song for the film originally, but it doesnt sound anything like the eventual Bond song. Julie does have a very powerful Bassey type voice, but i much prefer Nancy's version with Barry's beautiful haunting strings..Personally, 'You Only Live Twice' is my most played Bond song, i love it..always have, always will.

Julie Rogers version of 'You Only Live Twice' is available on Youtube..
  • Doubt opinion has changed much since a last review six months ago now, but whatever was said before, have to go again with the absolutely awful Keys and White from QOS, then not far behind, Madonna with Die Another Day, then perhaps Carly Simon with TSWLM. In fourth position, For Your Eyes Only by Sheena Easton and then say fifth place, Skyfall from the most recent release

There's probably not much change from before, but I feel the absolute horror of QOS may stay undisturbed at the top of the 'worst Bond theme' category, for some time to come. Seriously, during a watch (which isn't often), I just fast forward through the opening credits or simply turn off audio. Too much to tolerate in all honesty
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    I can easily give DAD a pass when compared to AWTD. This is handsdown the worst theme song in any of the Bonds.
    Yep, DAD is now the second worst, AWTD is such a train wreck it's hard to actually believe.
    It's the very worst, by a long long way!

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Shoreline wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I can easily give DAD a pass when compared to AWTD. This is handsdown the worst theme song in any of the Bonds.
    Yep, DAD is now the second worst, AWTD is such a train wreck it's hard to actually believe.
    It's the very worst, by a long long way!

So there is hope for you after all Shoreline!
  • Zorin61 wrote:

Apparently John Barry wanted Aretha Franklin to perform the song, but the producers insisted that he used Nancy, who was enjoying great popularity around this time with her huge hit 'These Boots Are Made for Walking'. 'You Only Live Twice' was recorded with a 60 piece orchestra, and i remember seeing an interview with Nancy Sinatra where she said that she was so nervous at the time, that it took around 30 takes to acquire enough material for the complete song, where Barry edited the song together out of around 25 takes.

A singer named Julie Rogers recorded the title song for the film originally, but it doesnt sound anything like the eventual Bond song. Julie does have a very powerful Bassey type voice, but i much prefer Nancy's version with Barry's beautiful haunting strings..Personally, 'You Only Live Twice' is my most played Bond song, i love it..always have, always will.

Julie Rogers version of 'You Only Live Twice' is available on Youtube..

Good grief, I can't imagine Franklin singing YOLT. That would have been dreadful. As bad as Knight singing LTK, a far inferior song to YOLT, I hasten to add.
  • Doubt opinion has changed much since a last review six months ago now, but whatever was said before, have to go again with the absolutely awful Keys and White from QOS, then not far behind, Madonna with Die Another Day, then perhaps Carly Simon with TSWLM. In fourth position, For Your Eyes Only by Sheena Easton and then say fifth place, Skyfall from the most recent release

There's probably not much change from before, but I feel the absolute horror of QOS may stay undisturbed at the top of the 'worst Bond theme' category, for some time to come. Seriously, during a watch (which isn't often), I just fast forward through the opening credits or simply turn off audio. Too much to tolerate in all honesty

One of my cardinal rules of Bond viewing is to never FF or mute anything. But during QOS' PTS I am SORELY tempted to violate that rule by stabbing the mute button. To listen to that "song" is to suffer grievously indeed.

• I'll take rock over techno any day, as I've said.
  • I turn off audio to not only QOS (theme intro) but also Die Another Day, The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only. Number three may be seen as blasphemy to some, but I genuinely can't listen to the Simon soundtrack. Even Goldfinger can be an awkward listen often enough. Too high-pitched for some
  • One clear winner for me....the man with the golden gun...and close second the living daylights...the great man himself, Barry, dissed them at every opportunity.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think that Die Another Day by Madonna would get my vote as it wasn't really appropriate for a James Bond film. "Sigmund Freud analyse this" indeed! 8-|
  • My worst Bond songs are DAD, AWTD, TMWTGG and probably the one I hate most - TND.
    My worst Bond songs are DAD, AWTD, TMWTGG and probably the one I hate most - TND.

I think AWTD and TMWTGG are very similar, but I like them both, even if they are composed wholly of doggerel.
    Lulu's voice in TMWTGG sounds like Minnie Driver crossed with nails on a blackboard. There, I said it.
    You know, I just listened to ATH and outside of the film it's beautiful. Even though it's very clearly a ripoff of the outro to Layla haha. But as a Bond theme it's one of the worst, it just doesn't work at all. Easily as inappropriate as techno.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    You know, I just listened to ATH and outside of the film it's beautiful. Even though it's very clearly a ripoff of the outro to Layla haha. But as a Bond theme it's one of the worst, it just doesn't work at all. Easily as inappropriate as techno.
    I'd never noticed that before. I can hear some similarities between the two.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Experience of Love.
    It is like Serra is vomiting in my ears.
    The Experience of Love.

Another good choice for worst Bond song of all time. I concur.
    That's the end credits song for GE, right? Technically doesn't count since it was supposed to be used on the soundtrack for Leon.
    That's the end credits song for GE, right? Technically doesn't count since it was supposed to be used on the soundtrack for Leon.

Yes, that's the one, though I never knew that interesting factoid.
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    The Experience of Love.

Another good choice for worst Bond song of all time. I concur.

Heh. Oddly enough, I kind of like this one. I've never heard another soul say a good word about it, though. 'Tis a lonely lot.

:(