When not reading Fleming - I would recommend ?

Comments

• edited August 2013 Posts: 10
    Myself excluded, I like going back to the roots of Bond: John Buchan, Sapper, Eric Ambler, Sax Rohmer. Fascinating seeing where Fleming came from: literary archeology.

• DB5DB5
    I just finished "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. I'm not exaggerating, this is one of the best books I have ever read in my entire life! And I'm 57. The plot is somewhat similar to the films "Groundhog Day" and "The Butterfly Effect," but much deeper. The narrator, Jeff Winston, has a heart attack at hiis office desk in October 1988 and dies at the age of 43. And the next thing he knows he wakes up, and he's in his college dorm room, in May 1963, and he's 18 again, with his whole life ahead of him. And he gets to live his life over again. And with his foreknowledge of events he makes a lot of changes to his life, some for the good, some not so good. And then on the exact same day in October 1988 he dies again, and again he's 18 and back in 1963. And he keeps reliving his life, and doing things differently in an effort to make things better. And the plot has so many twists and turns you feel you're on a roller coaster. And when you finish the book, you don't just feel like you've read a great story, you feel like you've had a religious experience. And I'm not at all religious. On a scale of one to ten this book is an eleven! An absolute must read!
    Jo Nesbo the Harry Hole series are brilliant
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I've just started reading "Die Trying", a Jack Reacher thriller. I was tempted to dip into the books after seeing the Tom Cruise film.

Reacher makes Bond look fairly tame in comparison. His massive height and huge build seem to be one of the few defining aspects of the character. He is NOT Tom Cruise (though Cruise is passable in the film).

From what I've read so far I'd certainly recommend Child.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I enjoy all of the Reacher books. Definitely worth a look if you haven't read them yet. My very favorite so far is Gone Tomorrow. His new one is coming out later this month.
    I like the character and I like very much the way Child writes. And always plenty of action.
    I enjoy all of the Reacher books. Definitely worth a look if you haven't read them yet. My very favorite so far is Gone Tomorrow. His new one is coming out later this month.
    I like the character and I like very much the way Child writes. And always plenty of action.

What did you think of the film?

edited September 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Reacher: Ah, I have not seen the movie yet! I just did not want to see Cruise as Reacher, because I have read nearly all the books. I will probably rent it. But he in no way is the Reacher I know from the books; just complete opposite build really. The book, One Shot, was excellent.

Re: Harry Hole - brilliant, intriguing, yet I find them depressing. But I have only read two.
    Reacher: Ah, I have not seen the movie yet! I just did not want to see Cruise as Reacher, because I have read nearly all the books. I will probably rent it. But he in no way is the Reacher I know from the books; just complete opposite build really. The book, One Shot, was excellent.

Re: Harry Hole - brilliant, intriguing, yet I find them depressing. But I have only read two.

I quite liked the film but admit its not great. Cruise is fine as an action hero and his performance in the film is ok...but from reading half of one book he just isn't Reacher. Daniel Craig might have made a better Reacher actually eventhough he's also not exactly tall.
    The character's physique is such a big part of his personality and the way he lives his life, so yeah, it's a problem for me to have Cruise in the role. Even Daniel isn't as hugely muscular and just plain large as the character. I'd love for the powers that be to cast someone great in the role, though, because most or all of the stories (if I remember correctly) are already optioned for films. I'd like to see Reacher as a film series - or even a good TV series - if done right.
    In fairness I can't think of any 6'5 actors with blonde hair that are an identical match to Reacher. But there are probably better choices than Tiny Tom.

I actually think that Jai Courtney (who's excellent as the brutal henchman) might have been good - I can at least believe see him as a bouncer.

For Cruise's weaknesses regarding his casting he does handle himself well in the fight scenes.
  • I would just like to thank everybody here who was recommending "I am Pilgrim".
    This really is a truly excellent Book and whatever weaknesses it might have are outweighed by far by Terry Hayes' delightfull prose and his complex and insightful Hero. It is much more an "Entwicklungsroman" as I would have expected and also had hoped that the Protagonist experiences all those things listed on the back of the Book himself and not only retells them (I'm a sucker for odysseys) but as already said it is truly superbly written and it has been quite some time since I have been that much delighted by a Novel. I have read, that some compare him to Daniel Silva,but I would rate Hayes(and the "Pilgrim") heads and shoulders above Silva and Allon. I see it much more as a blend of Trevanians Shibumi, his Hel/Hemlock Charakters and Dashiell Hammetts "Continental Op", which might seem like like a tall order to fulfil but Hayes truly delivers. I can't tell you how glad I am that in a clandestine World awash with the likes of Mitch Rapp there is still room for someone like the Pilgrim.
    Again, thanks to all of you that gave it such glowing reviews here on these pages!
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Just stopped by to say that I received Jon Burlingame's book on Bond music and highly recommend it! There's a bit of technical information of interest to the composer types like myself but not too heavy that someone who just enjoys listening to the wonderful music we've been mostly treated to during the course of the series would not be able to readily understand and appreciate.

The biggest disappointment was in reading how sad and petty political the music business as it relates to studio involvement, and the egos of artists like Madonna, Jack White, and perhaps the recent Adele/Epworth/Newman pairing have become a detriment to Bondian music and what the people who really matter, the fans of the series, want to hear in a Bond soundtrack.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Myself excluded, I like going back to the roots of Bond: John Buchan, Sapper, Eric Ambler, Sax Rohmer. Fascinating seeing where Fleming came from: literary archeology.

Literary archaeology. I like that term, sir!

Ahhh... not Adele, surely. :(
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    I would just like to thank everybody here who was recommending "I am Pilgrim".
    This really is a truly excellent Book and whatever weaknesses it might have are outweighed by far by Terry Hayes' delightfull prose and his complex and insightful Hero. It is much more an "Entwicklungsroman" as I would have expected and also had hoped that the Protagonist experiences all those things listed on the back of the Book himself and not only retells them (I'm a sucker for odysseys) but as already said it is truly superbly written and it has been quite some time since I have been that much delighted by a Novel. I have read, that some compare him to Daniel Silva,but I would rate Hayes(and the "Pilgrim") heads and shoulders above Silva and Allon. I see it much more as a blend of Trevanians Shibumi, his Hel/Hemlock Charakters and Dashiell Hammetts "Continental Op", which might seem like like a tall order to fulfil but Hayes truly delivers. I can't tell you how glad I am that in a clandestine World awash with the likes of Mitch Rapp there is still room for someone like the Pilgrim.
    Again, thanks to all of you that gave it such glowing reviews here on these pages!

It looks like you enjoyed it as much as me.
    I don't know how it is selling but I'm quite sure it will be like Larrson's "Millennium" trilogy - it will develop a cult following and then it will explode.
    I like your comparrison with 'Shibumi'. I read that one back in the day - a great book!

I have ordered it, and I am looking forward to reading it now more than ever. I'll let you all know when I've finished it.
  • The news section of this site features a very interesting review of John Gardner's Herbie Kruger novels.
    I've long voiced that John's Bond novels were fare from his best work and that his big Herbie books were a real testimony to his greatness. If you haven't read them I would heartily recommend you start - they are quite brilliant.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 2,594

One Shot is a great book. I enjoy the Jack Reacher novels. The film that is based on One Shot is entertaining but it's nothing compared to the books. Why Child wanted Cruise to play Reacher, I'll never understand. Hugh Jackman or Gerard Butler would have been a much better choice. According to google, they're both 1.88 metres. That's not as tall as 6 foot 5, Jack Reacher's height, but it's good enough.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    I've just started reading "Die Trying", a Jack Reacher thriller. I was tempted to dip into the books after seeing the Tom Cruise film.

Reacher makes Bond look fairly tame in comparison. His massive height and huge build seem to be one of the few defining aspects of the character. He is NOT Tom Cruise (though Cruise is passable in the film).

From what I've read so far I'd certainly recommend Child.

I've read three of the Reachers--Without Fail, Persuader, 61 Hours--and they're very good. Rather on the grim side and ultra violent. Not exactly feel-good reading, but high-quality thrillers withal.

• Reacher: Ah, I have not seen the movie yet! I just did not want to see Cruise as Reacher, because I have read nearly all the books. I will probably rent it. But he in no way is the Reacher I know from the books; just complete opposite build really. The book, One Shot, was excellent.

The same. I just can't get my head around the idea of Cruise as Reacher, and I don't want to spend money trying.
  • Bentley wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    I would just like to thank everybody here who was recommending "I am Pilgrim".

It looks like you enjoyed it as much as me.
    I don't know how it is selling but I'm quite sure it will be like Larrson's "Millennium" trilogy - it will develop a cult following and then it will explode.
    I like your comparrison with 'Shibumi'. I read that one back in the day - a great book!

Shibumi is one of my very favorite thrillers. If I taught a college level course on the thriller, Shibumi would be required reading.

Also, if you haven't read The Summer of Katya by Trevanian, you should. It may be the greatest novel I've ever read.

I am currently reading a few of Phillip Kerr concerning a policeman Bernie Gunther and he works for the Berlin Kripo (Kriminal Polizei, aka police) during the Nazi years in Germany and it is not only about the story but also about the living in Nazi-Germany that is brilliantly reasearched & written about. Well worth your time
    @SaintMark, so is the character Bernie Gunther a caring, good policeman? Just stuck in the horrible situation of the Nazi regime?
    @SaintMark, so is the character Bernie Gunther a caring, good policeman? Just stuck in the horrible situation of the Nazi regime?

No he is person who does not believe in the Nazi ideoligy stuck in a society that run by the standards of the Nazi's, he is a survivor and a cynic.
    The books are based in real historical situations and along the way they tell us more about living in Nazi Germany than anything I have encountered movie or bookwise. The books are a cross between police whodunnits and spy stories.
    And yes he is a good policeman caught between a rock and a hard place.

After the SOLO debacle, I was desperate for a literary lifeline.
    Fortunately I got it with Robert Harris' 'An Officer And A Spy'. It's a really gripping take on the Alfred Dreyfuss affair - absolutely brilliant and intelligently written.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    just picked up 'sweet tooth' by ian mckewan. About a female spy. Good stuff.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    SaintMark wrote:

yes, just picked up 'the snowman' by jo nesbo.
    007InVT wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

yes, just picked up 'the snowman' by jo nesbo.

enjoy
    I just want to say I am halfway through I Am Pilgrim and it is a great book! I can't believe the 2nd half will let me down. The writing is so good; it is refreshing for me to find a new author I love. Oh, this is so well done. Thanks for Bentley and others for praising it! I had not heard of it before.