Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    This could work but has this series' time passed? I'll be keeping an eye on this and am keen to learn how it pans out.
    Would be curious to see if Damon came back? Felt Legacy had too many images and tributes to Bourne? It didn't need that many as the title of the movie gave it away!
    Bourne I think is so much better minus Damon and Greengrass. They ruined the last two Bourne films they did. I am much happier with Renner as Aaron Cross
  • I'd be happier with Damon and someone else but I'm fine with Greengrass. Yes the shaky cam is annoying but he does characters and action well.

Anyway I'm glad to see there's still life in this series. Legacy was an enjoyable action flick but it's time to get proper Bourne back now.
  • SharkShark Banned
    edited August 2013 Posts: 348
    timmer wrote:
    I am much happier with Renner as Aaron Cross

Same here. Renner's a much more interesting actor than Damon - more going on his with eyes and the metre of his voice, even in what would otherwise be dull exposition scenes. That scene with him and Weisz in the car is a good example.

Please don't bring back Greengrass. Gilroy at least understands coherent action and how to pace drama. The main thing that needs work on is the screenplay. Less pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo - more humanity.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Samuel001 wrote:
    This could work but has this series' time passed?
    Yes, I think so. The first film was great but the sequels have gotten progressively worse and the whole concept seems rather tired and played out now. It just doesn't have the staying power that Bond does because it lacks the ability to effectively reinvent itself.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Here we go again, more news concerning something that likely won't happen (a Damon and Greengrass return). I wouldn't want to touch this series with a ten foot pole unless Matt was back, considering how badly Legacy performed. It wasn't a piece of garbage, but it also wasn't brilliant, and Jason's/Matt's absence critically hurt it before it even hit theaters.

Since they are hiring a new writer (and director, I assume) does this mean Gilroy is now officially done with the series?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I really cant see how anyone would green light another one unless Damon is in.

Legacy was dismal and if I was a studio exec I would say the series is in the same place as Bond post OHMSS. If its going to continue then give Damon what he wants at all costs.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I quite liked Legacy - but agree that it wasn't on the same level as the first three.

Also I recently rewatched the first Bourne film. It was good but it wasn't as thrilling as I wanted it to be. The other two are better IMO. Damon is better in the other two as well.
  • bourne 5 will have the same formula as bourne 4, which i enjoyed but not as much as the first 3, because renner is back. i don't think i would see damon and renner together; this bourne series won't have a buddy-cop movie, or would it? if they want to save the series, i suggest they remove the cheesy superhuman skills in the plot. maybe make landy play a major role in the story. and what will they do with weisz's character? shoot her dead like potente.

unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have the iconic potential like bond. the bourne story is pretty linear and predictable-- cia agent goes rogue, uncovers illegal and unethical operations, and hides forever.
    Sources say it isn't true:

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/matt-damon-paul-greenglass-jason-bourne-1200589073/

Maybe the future plan is for two separate series that will link up with a team up film, as the end of that article suggests?
  • They should either get Damon back or recast Bourne. It's his series and although I liked Legacy I have no interest in a sequel

They should make it a whole new stand alone adventure separate from the other films. No more running from the CIA, no more Treadstone, just the Bourne character.

They need to do something different now if the series wants to carry on for a good few years.
    They should either get Damon back or recast Bourne. It's his series and although I liked Legacy I have no interest in a sequel

They should make it a whole new stand alone adventure separate from the other films. No more running from the CIA, no more Treadstone, just the Bourne character.

They need to do something different now if the series wants to carry on for a good few years.

I agree. Is there really any desire out there for another Aaron Cross film?
    Recasting Bourne would be worse than getting Aaron Cross again. Either way, do people even want another Damon/Bourne film? I thought he and the public where happy with just the three. Ten years on, would it still be a hit?
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    They should either get Damon back or recast Bourne. It's his series and although I liked Legacy I have no interest in a sequel

I remember a few years back when Damon was highly critical of the Bond franchise (it might have been during the PR for Supremacy but I'm not sure). Flash forward to 2012, SF smashes records all over the world and is met with critical acclaim and the Bourne franchise finds itself at a crossroads as to where to go next.

What Damon (as well as countless others) have failed to realise is that Bond has faced many rivals/competitors over the last fifty years and has seen them all off time and time again.
    It reminds me of a thread I started long ago:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/416/the-bourne-legacys-impact-on-skyfall

Now, what a joke it seems!
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I wouldn't mind a recast. I thought Damon was great (didn't really like him until I saw Identity and I didn't expect him to be as good as he was), but hardly irreplaceable.

If you can replace Sean Connery as James Bond, then you can defininetly replace Matt Damon as Jason Bourne.

I think since Damon probably won't be back, that a recast is the way to go.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wouldn't mind a recast. I thought Damon was great (didn't really like him until I saw Identity and I didn't expect him to be as good as he was), but hardly irreplaceable.

If you can replace Sean Connery as James Bond, then you can defininetly replace Matt Damon as Jason Bourne.

Chris Pine anyone? He's really good as James T. Kirk and I'm really excited to see him as Jack Ryan.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2013 Posts: 11,139
    I love the the first 3 movies. They have a rawness about them that just makes you want to fist punch the air. I'm one of the few that can tolerate Greengrass' shakey cam/quick edits because quite frankly he's one of the few that knows how to pull it off (even though I would prefer normal edit cuts). That being said, one of the best moments in the series was in Supremacy, where Bourne is held at the airport in Naples and skillfully takes out the 2 agents in the room....I'm yet to see Bond do anything that proficiently badass (and that's saying something). Anyway, Legacy was a massive disappointment but I wouldn't mind seeing another instalment just to conclude what they started with the Cross character.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Murdock wrote:

Chris Pine anyone? He's really good as James T. Kirk and I'm really excited to see him as Jack Ryan.

Haven't seen him in anything but I think him playing Jack Ryan would stop them giving him the role.

I think Scott Adkins would be a good choice. I wanted him as Bond before but he'll be too old by the time Craig leaves.

He's a brilliant martial artist and a decent enough actor, so I think he'd do a good job. He had a small part in Ultimatum too, so he has ties to the series already.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote:
    I love the the first 3 movies. They have a rawness about them that just makes you want to fist punch the air. I'm one of the few that can tolerate Greengrass' shakey cam/quick edits because quite frankly he's one of the few that knows how to pull it off (even though I would prefer normal edit cuts). That being said, one of the best moments in the series was in Supremacy, where Bourne is held at the airport in Naples and skillfully takes out the 2 agents in the room....I'm yet to see Bond do anything that proficiently badass (and that's saying something). Anyway, Legacy was a massive disappointment but I wouldn't mind seeing another instalment just to conclude what they started with the Cross character.

I agree, and I actually have a pretty awesome story for you. On one of the special feature pieces for Supremacy some of the filmmakers talked about that airport fight and how they choreographed it, and apparently when they shot it Matt actually landed a real hit on the actor in the suit (who is interviewing him in the scene) and knocked the guy out cold! So in the film when Jason hits the guy and he goes down, that is actually the actor getting knocked out by Matt. That's pretty cool! :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Ha! For real?? That's bloody awesome!

I just love how every time Bourne sprung into action it was like, a signature moment kicking in and not just another fight scene. The airport scene built up and emphasised Bourne as a seriously legitimate threat that should never be underestimated and the execution of the takedown was ludicrously lethal and highlighted Bourne as perfectly proficient. The atmosphere, tension, use of camera angles and the Bourne theme kicking in were all contributing factors to one of the best action scenes ever filmed. I just wish such an emphasis on the protagonist's importance of lethality without explosions going off would be similarly placed on Bond. Also, with some of Bond's fights being over too quickly, this sort of approach would make the disappointing length more satisfying........Bourne's proficiency in CQC/CQB is just glorious!

That is probably the only way to go, either this or (yet another) reboot. I did not see Legacy because I do not see the point of a Bourne movie without Bourne.
    Everything that is Bourne dies.
  • SharkShark Banned
    edited August 2013 Posts: 348

Not really, but I'd rather that than another Damon borefest.

Do you like the first one, The Bourne Identity, @Shark?
  • SharkShark Banned
    Samuel001 wrote:

I did. It was the best of the Bourne trilogy, thanks to a more human screenplay, Franka Potente, Chris Cooper/Brian Cox, John Powell's best score and Doug Liman's clean and unobtrusive direction.
    Good to know, me too and I'm sure others. I wonder what it would take to get Liman back behind the camera? Is he even interested?

My biggest problem is, I see nowhere to go story wise now. Just leave it be!
    Shark wrote:

Not really, but I'd rather that than another Damon borefest.

Yeah because Legacy was thrill a minute wasn't it?

Unbelievable.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Shark wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I did. It was the best of the Bourne trilogy, thanks to a more human screenplay, Franka Potente, Chris Cooper/Brian Cox, John Powell's best score and Doug Liman's clean and unobtrusive direction.
    Not to mention also, that Identity was heavily based on the actual Ludlum story of the same name. The two follow-ups were way off reservation though and bore little resemblance to the original stories - ie lets just blow away the wife ( which Ludlum did not do) and go off in our own crazy direction.

I think this franchise is worth continuing. But if Damon and Greengras return, I personally have no interest.
    What I would consider though would be a continuation of the Renner character, Renner being a far more interesting actor than the limp Damon, or possibly recasting Bourne with a more engaging actor.
    Has anyone guessed I am not a Damon fan.
    This is what the books are doing. Bourne is a very interesting character. Both extreme lethal and smart. I do like the new books. They exploit the character and create interesting adventures and suspense around him.
    Dump Damon and introduce an edgier Bourne and you might have a good franchise.
    I have to admit, as much I liked Legacy, how do you continue a Bourne franchise without Bourne?
    The solution I think is to bring Bourne back for the next film - reintroduce him with a new actor. Keep Cross around as a secondary character until its time to ditch him, and then continue to build around Bourne.
    The new books have done an excellent job with Bourne IMO. ie he's stuck with the spy game. As much as he wants to retire the "Identity", he knows he can't, so he continues doing his thing. David Webb is gone.
    He's essentially a freelancer with both allies and enemies who draw him into various adventures worthy of his talents.
    He is naturally mistrustful of global intelligence agencies, but still has allies within their ranks, which keeps him connected.