Connery vs. Moore

Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
edited July 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 40,369
So everyone, thoughts: which films of Connery's beat which films of Moore's, and, in the end, who do you think is the better Bond?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,686
    LALD >> DN
    TMWTGG >> FRW
    TSWLM >> GF
    MR >> TB
    YOLT >> FYEO
    DAF >> OP
    AVTAK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NSNA
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited August 2011 Posts: 3,262
    DN > LALD
    FRWL > TMWTGG
    GF > TSWLM
    TB > MR
    YOLT > FYEO
    OP > DAF
    NSNA > AVTAK

6 for Connery, 1 for Moore. Connery wins.

In rating Connery vs. Moore, a little different way via my most current rankings:

TB
    MR
    FRWL
    YOLT
    OP
    GF
    DN
    TMWTGG
    TSWLM
    DAF
    NSNA
    FYEO
    LALD
    AVTAK

All 7 of Connery's films beat 3 Moore films
    All 6 official EON Connery films beat 3 Moore films
    4 Moore films beat 2 Connery films
    All 5 1960s Connery films beat 6 Moore films
    1 Moore film beats 6 Connery films
    1 Connery film beats all 7 Moore films

Again, Connery wins though I'm a Moore fan also.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't know if I've seen the name a lot because fans may not like it that much, but I loved FYEO. Probably my favorite Moore film.
    DNTMWTGG
    GFMR
    YOLTOP
    NSNA<AVTAK

Based on the better movie, Roger Moore has the upper hand. If we were going by the better actor, Roger Moore would still win for a few reasons. For one, even in older age, he still looked more Bond-ish than Connery. Two, Connery was a complete bore in YOLT, while Moore still kept up his performance in FYEO.
    DN > LALD
    FRWL > TMWTGG
    GF > TSWLM
    TB > MR
    YOLT < FYEO
    DAF < OP/AVTAK

Connery wins with four straight amazing wins, but FYEO and AVTAK rank among my favorite Bond films.
    DN > LALD
    FRWL > TMWTGG
    GF > TSWLM
    TB < MR
    YOLT > FYEO
    DAF < OP
    NSNA < AVTAK

I had a relatively hard time deciding which is more to my liking ; TB or MR. So I let the coin decide. Heads ; TB , Tails ; MR.

MR won.

Anyway, why is this in the news section?
    edited August 2011 Posts: 40,369
    My apologies, went on the fast-track with creating the topic and didn't choose a place to put it.

Fixed, thanks for the heads up.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 4,762
    Okay, apparently my last post messed up big time, so here's the revised version:

LALD beats DN
    FRWL beats TMWTGG
    TSWLM beats GF
    TB beats MR
    FYEO beats YOLT
    DAF beats OP
    AVTAK beats NSNA

Connery: 3
    Moore: 4
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DN > LALD (DN nears perfection, LALD is miles away from that)
    FRWL > TMWTGG (FRWL doesn't insult my intelligence)
    TSWLM > GF (I'm willing to let TSWLM get away with it, but only ever so slightly!)
    TB > MR (I may be a prime defender of MR but TB is one of the most iconic Bonds ever.)
    FYEO > YOLT (YOLT, while beautiful, at times ridiculed what the previous films had established. FYEO, while perhaps lacking the spectacle of the older Bonds, certainly plays well as a fine Bond thriller.)
    DAF = OP (I simply can't decide. They are both flawed yet they both offer a lot to compensate for that.)
    AVTAK > NSNA (But it's merely a >, not a >>>>>>! NSNA is ugly, in that it doesn't really fit into our beloved 'official' series, but it's not the bad film many seem convinced it is, at least IMO.)
    FYEO was an excellent thriller. When Moore is chasing after Locque, so intense. Such a violent death, too.
    @Creasy47: Agreed. I've always loved the chase for Locque. Just when you think Locque gets away, Bond runs at top speed and ends up in front of his car! Two shots from the ol' Walther and Locque's car is left hanging on the edge of the cliff, only for Bond to play it cold and kill him.
    @00Beast, absolutely. Very intense scene, very satisfying ending. The entire rock climbing scene at the end is genius, as well. Just as you think Bond might fall, he saves himself.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,778
    DN vs LADL Winner-LALD

FRWL vs TMWTGG Winner- FRWL

GF vs TSWLM Winner- GF by a nose

TB>MR Winner- TB

YOLT vs FYEO Winner- FYEO

DAF vs OP Winner- OP

NASA vs AVTAK Winner- AVTAK

Moore-4
    Connery-3

To me the 2 really reached their peaks at different times. Connery started out great but after GF the quality of his films and performances went down with each successive outing. Moore on the other hand wouldn't find his footing until TSWLM and IMO delivered his best performances in the latter half of his run as Bond. FYEO and OP were his best films IMHO.

But I think we can all agree that both actor's 3rd films were turning points in their reign as Bond.
    @DoubleOhhSeven, I do agree with you in saying that Moore got better and better as his films progressed. Even being as old as he was in the role, he could still play the hell out of Bond.
    I liked Moore best in the 1970s Bonds and wished we could have had more Dalton Bonds in the 1980s instead. That stated, Moore basically did a good job in the role throughout most of his tenure but he definitely should've hung up his shoulder holster after OP.
  • We seem to agree alot Creasy47. If Moore had just retired with Octopussy IMO he would've been the only long-term Bond to go out strong. I think OP was one of the best, if not the best, Moore performance as Bond. And his 55 year age didn't bother me much as he simply oozed charm in that film.
    @DoubleOhhSeven, that we do. Yes, he did. Granted, on paper, he did seem too old to be playing Bond, but I think he did very, very well in the latter films.
    If Moore had just retired with Octopussy IMO he would've been the only long-term Bond to go out strong. I think OP was one of the best, if not the best, Moore performance as Bond. And his 55 year age didn't bother me much as he simply oozed charm in that film.
    Agreed. OP would've been a nice finale for both him and his particular style of Bond film. I'd like to think his Bond retired to India with Maud Adams. Then, EON should've rebooted the series in 1984 with Dalton in CR.

• LudsLuds MIA
    edited August 2011 Posts: 1,986
    LALD < DN
    TMWTGG < FRWL
    TSWLM < GF
    MR < TB
    FYEO > YOLT
    OP > DAF
    AVTAK > NSNA

4-3 Connery in this matchup, the first 4 are blowouts, Connery is by far superior.
    I wish Dalton could have had another notch under his belt, maybe even two more films.
    I liked Moore best in the 1970s Bonds and wished we could have had more Dalton Bonds in the 1980s instead. That stated, Moore basically did a good job in the role throughout most of his tenure but he definitely should've hung up his shoulder holster after OP.
    I also agree with that but at that same time go against it. Nothing would've made me happier than to see Dalton make the 80s his decade as Bond but than I wouldn't have had my 2 fav Moore films in FYEO and OP. True Dalton's films might have been better but we'll never know will we. In a perfect world I would have had Dalton debuting in 1985 in AVTAK, at 41 years old which I think is close to the perfect Bond age, then go on to do TLD, which would have naturally been tweaked as it wouldn't be his debut film. Than go on to do LTK and keep it exactly the same. And then have a 3 year gap and retire with a fourth film in 1992, at 48 years old which is still the right age, and use the script they were planning. I highly doubt Dalton would have played the role for more than 3 or 4 films. But damn I would've loved to have seen in just 1 more. The man deserved better than 2 and fell into the role so easily. I think he would've just gotten better if he kept going.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,369
    If it all moved along swimmingly and Moore ended when he did, maybe Dalton could have had four Bond films, and we could have kept the greats, FYEO and OP. FYEO has to be my favorite Moore film, so glad we got it.
    LALD < DN
    TMWTGG < FRWL
    TSWLM < GF (Though Spy is really good in my book)
    MR < TB
    FYEO < YOLT
    OP < DAF (Kudos to OP, but Diamonds just knocks it out of the park for me)
    AVTAK = NSNA (I think they are equally not great, but still pretty good)

Connery: 6
    Moore: 0
    Tie: 1

I guess Connery annihilates this round for me 6-0 with a tie--but that doesn't paint the whole picture. I love the Moore films too. There are certain Moore films that I prefer to certain Connery films: OP and Spy for example, I like more than DN and NSNA, but stacked up in this order, it seems that Connery wins nearly every time.
    In my dream world, OP and FYEO would switch places in filming order. FYEO would then be Dalton's debut followed by AVTAK(with the script a more faithful adaptation of Fleming's short story), TLD, LTK, adaptations of "Colonel Sun" and "The Property Of A Lady" in the early 1990s and then have Dalton end his Bond tenure with GE.

Courtesy of 007Art

Dalton in FYEO:

http://007art.free.fr/index.php/category/what-if/for-your-eyes-only-what-if/

Dalton in GE;

http://007art.free.fr/index.php/category/what-if/goldeneye-what-if/
    If Moore had just retired with Octopussy IMO he would've been the only long-term Bond to go out strong. I think OP was one of the best, if not the best, Moore performance as Bond. And his 55 year age didn't bother me much as he simply oozed charm in that film.
    Agreed. OP would've been a nice finale for both him and his particular style of Bond film. I'd like to think his Bond retired to India with Maud Adams. Then, EON should've rebooted the series in 1984 with Dalton in CR.

Another thing I'd like to say is that Maud Adam's was always one of my favorite Roger Moore girls and the ending scene in Octopussy with Adams telling Bond that she wishes he weren't in such a "weakened condition" before Moore quickly frees himself from traction and his harnesses and proves her wrong all leading up to "James!" would've been the perfect send-off to Moore's Bond. I smile every time I see it. Instead we got that awkward shower scene in AVTAK with a woman 25 years Moore's junior.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 4,622
    According to my own personal rankings for each actor.

DAF > LALD
    TB > TMWTGG
    GF > MR
    YOLT > TSWLM
    DN > OP
    FRWL > FYEO

NSNA < AVTAK

I will give Moore's weakest ( though still brilliant) AVTAK the nod over Kirshner's weak NSNA (despite Sean's brilliance)

Otherwise 6-1 Sean in a romp. No disrespect to Rog. He blows everyone else out of the water, but for Lazers, but Sean is that good.
    @DoubleOhhSeven, I think that's what bugged me as the Moore films went on: the older he became, it really showed when they used women that were much, much younger. I'm sure they could have found attractive 40-50 year old women that didn't really show it.
    DN loses to LALD
    FRWL beats TMWTGG
    GF loses to TSWLM
    TB beats MR
    YOLT loses to FYEO
    OP beats DAF

4-2 win to Sir Roger.
    DN beats LALD
    FRWL beats TMWTGG
    GF beats TSWLM
    TB beats MR
    YOLT loses to FYEO
    DAF loses to OP

4-2 win to Connery
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    DN >>> LALD
    FRWL >>> TMWTGG
    GF > TSWLM (almost went for Spy)
    TB >>> MR
    YOLT <<< FYEO
    DAF <<< OP
    NASA <<< AVTAK

Rankings:

FRWL
    TB
    DN
    OP