Who or What Poses the Biggest Threat To The Future of James Bond

edited August 2013 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 6,396
I couldn't find a similar topic on the forum to this but apologies if there is a thread already.

Quite a simple one this, over the last fifty years EON have had to struggle to keep the franchise alive, most notably were the ongoing legal battles with Kevin McClory (thankfully no longer an issue), the legal row over the rights to who owned Bond following the sale of MGM in the early nineties plus all of the imitators and rivals to Bond at the Box Office i.e. Matt Helm, Derek Flint, U.N.C.L.E. Mission Impossible, Bourne etc etc.

My question is, what do you think the challenges are that EON face in keeping the series going for the next fifty years.

My own thoughts on this would be, who will be lined up to take over at EON when the time comes for Michael and Barbara to step down (and hopefully not for a long time yet).

Oh and making sure they hire suitable Directors would also be a big help (Spottiswoode, Tamahori? No, me neither!).

Comments

The changing times I guess, Bond and the plots of the movies usually reflect the era in which we live, I guess EON will have to adapt when the world becomes less serious and paranoid than it is in this age of uncertainty and terror, or maybe if it gets worse they will have to reflect that, it will help them to keep the films fresh and popular. Hopefully, it will only get better.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The biggest threat to Bond's future?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1218992/
    Quite a simple one this, over the last fifty years EON have had to struggle to keep the franchise alive, most notably were the ongoing legal battles with Kevin McClory (thankfully no longer an issue), the legal row over the rights to who owned Bond following the sale of MGM in the early nineties plus all of the imitators and rivals to Bond at the Box Office i.e. Matt Helm, Derek Flint, U.N.C.L.E. Mission Impossible, Bourne etc etc.

My question is, what do you think the challenges are that EON face in keeping the series going for the next fifty years.
    As @Sammm04 said, Eon's main challenges will be continually adapting Bond to the current time, creating stories and characters which reflect those in the real world. Whenever they hit a crossroad and are in doubt, they'll go back to Fleming. And if all else fails- reboot, which won't be for a few more decades I imagine. Another challenge will be making good casting decisions, casting the right actors/actresses for their respective roles. You could have a top notch script, but if the actors don't fit their character, it will affect the overall outcome of the film. I have faith in Eon to do what feels right.
    My own thoughts on this would be, who will be lined up to take over at EON when the time comes for Michael and Barbars to step down (and hopefully not for a long time yet).
    I can see Barbara staying where she is for some time yet, but I guess when MGW calls it a day, his son David will take over his duties.
    Oh and making sure they hire suitable Directors would also be a big help (Spottiswoode, Tamahori? No, me neither!).
    Mendes, and perhaps Campbell could come back. Oh, and Spielberg is still patiently waiting for the call. ;)
    QBranch wrote:
    Mendes, and perhaps Campbell could come back. Oh, and Spielberg is still patiently waiting for the call. ;)

Agree on both Mendes and Campbell but Spielberg? 30 years ago, most definitely but now? Not a million years would I want him anywhere near Bond.
  • When every movie spy in the future is a cyborg; I can see a cultural cyberpunk craze in 2030 Just imagine 007 as a cyborg . Anyway, I think James Bond will always find a niche as the glamorous, British spy; unless British culture will be annihilated.

Regarding the competition, Bourne is practically half-dead; the last Mission Impossible film was a fluke; and what is U.N.C.L.E.? i've never heard of it here in the Far East.
    I guess Bond will be it's own enemy, keeping the series fresh will be the big challenge. I can't see any actor doing more than four in this day and age, the introduction of a new actor will be a big part of keeping the series going.
  • RC7RC7
    I guess Bond will be it's own enemy, keeping the series fresh will be the big challenge. I can't see any actor doing more than four in this day and age, the introduction of a new actor will be a big part of keeping the series going.

Yes, I'm of the same opinion that 4 per actor may be the new norm. Especially if they continue with 3 year gaps. Risking the wrath of the Craig-ites, he did look considerably older in SF and I expect him to look older still in B24. He may or may not do a fifth, but if we assume that will hit in 17/18 it'll surely be his last. His rough, slightly haggard look is part of his charm but it is unfortunately not an ingredient for longevity. Revamping the franchise every 10-15 is not an awful predicament though. I just hope we have no Lazenby or Dalton style hiccups (regards tenure obviously!)
  • All talks of Bond's future ultimately ends up being redundant.

Any Bond fan who questions the longevity of our favorite spy is an undercover Spectre agent.

Cubby gave a two word response when asked how long Bond will last: "Until doomsday."

Simply put...Bond films are forever. Guaranteed. It is the BaronSamedi of movie history: the series that cannot die.

I envy the Bond fan of the next century who will watching Bond #76 and counting.

"Q, have I ever let you down?"
    "Frequently."

• @RC7- he's signed for 5, and with the next two scheduled to be related, I wouldn't expect a new Bond until after 2017. As far as aging, the beard and very short haircut did him no favors, but agreed by then it will be time. I just hope they keep the serious tone and don't flop back towards foppery.
  • RC7RC7
    @RC7- he's signed for 5, and with the next two scheduled to be related, I wouldn't expect a new Bond until after 2017. As far as aging, the beard and very short haircut did him no favors, but agreed by then it will be time. I just hope they keep the serious tone and don't flop back towards foppery.

Yes, I'm sure he'll do both, I'm just a pessimist regards Hollywood and contracts, and would certainly not take it for granted. I don't think it will revert to foppery. I think the next noticeable shift in tone will be when the next actor signs. Even then I expect it to remain relatively gadget and gag free. I think there's scope to make 24 evocative of the of the grand scale adventures of old, without it becoming a pastiche. It's all about story for me. Nail the story and I think the audience will come along for the ride. It's not like the Cubby and Harry era, where you could get away with a series of impressive set-peices linked by a questionable plot. I'm expecting something fresh for 24, with no bloody nods or homages.

I'm not sure Craig's ageing will be too much of a factor, of course he will start to look older at the age he is at now but he is in great shape and i don't mean this in a negative way but not classically handsome like Brosnan or Moore so the advancing years shouldn't take there toll as much.

I just think that attention spans are short these days and a new actor will be required at fairly short intervals.
  • If it stays with the Broccolis and their extended family, I'm not worried. The biggest danger is if some big, ambivalent corporation acquires the rights and proceeds to abuse the property. There are any number of horrible variations on Bond that might occur to a studio executive: comedy Bond, Bond with a kid, twenty-something Bond; as well as alternate means of using the property, like doing it as a TV show instead of a film series. The stability and consistency of the series is the result of its close control by a small group of dedicated fans.
    Tipperapi wrote:
    If it stays with the Broccolis and their extended family, I'm not worried. The biggest danger is if some big, ambivalent corporation acquires the rights and proceeds to abuse the property. There are any number of horrible variations on Bond that might occur to a studio executive: comedy Bond, Bond with a kid, twenty-something Bond; as well as alternate means of using the property, like doing it as a TV show instead of a film series. The stability and consistency of the series is the result of its close control by a small group of dedicated fans.

Lets hope Bond never get's saddled with a young sidekick like poor old Indy and John Mclane.
    Yes, well said. Any corporate interference could render Bond the McDonalds of the film industry. *shudders* As long as it is family owned, I don't see the train derailing. Babs is still very young and very dedicated o the franchise. In fact, I don't think she has ever been more in love with Bond.
  • The_Reaper wrote:
    Yes, well said. Any corporate interference could render Bond the McDonalds of the film industry. *shudders* As long as it is family owned, I don't see the train derailing. Babs is still very young and very dedicated to the franchise. In fact, I don't think she has ever been more in love with Bond.

That's it. But PC pressure in casting decisions (a minority non-white, or not British actor as Bond as examples) does give me cause for concern. I'm not a total Fleming purist in terms of say Bond being a smoker, although I don't mind either way if the character does or doesn't, but his ethnicity and cultural background must remain inviolable.
    Biggest threat is audience demand and expectations. Though i think Bond has the ability to survive and adapt to any change thrust upon it.
  • Two flops in a row would do it.
    NOTHING !!!!!

Bond is INVINCIBLE !!!!

hAAB36535
    The_Reaper wrote:
    Yes, well said. Any corporate interference could render Bond the McDonalds of the film industry. *shudders* As long as it is family owned, I don't see the train derailing. Babs is still very young and very dedicated to the franchise. In fact, I don't think she has ever been more in love with Bond.

That's it. But PC pressure in casting decisions (a minority non-white, or not British actor as Bond as examples) does give me cause for concern. I'm not a total Fleming purist in terms of say Bond being a smoker, although I don't mind either way if the character does or doesn't, but his ethnicity and cultural background must remain inviolable.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. If the suits ever take over, casting for Bond is likely to descend into a series of gimmicks: Black Bond, Female Bond, Gay Bond, Pakistani Bond, Mexican Bond, Elvis-Impersonator Bond, and on and on. It would ultimately alienate the fan base and bring about the end of the ongoing franchise.

After that, however, I would expect James Bond to experience a lengthy hiatus and then become kind of like Sherlock Holmes, with new adaptations coming out sporadically, usually as period pieces.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,687
    I fear corporate demographics more than anything else.
    Twenty-something Bond, newly minted Double-O, trying to find love in an angsty dangerous world of espionage....
  • Not having the gunbarrel at the start again.
    I would be worried if it was in the hands of a Corp giant, because their for making the biggest buck, not staying true to the bond fans and franchise.

But I'm sure they've thought of all of this and have a good plan in the works.
    Hate to be pedantic but isnt MGM a giant corporation. They hold the purse strings and therefore the future of Bond. Personally i think the biggest threat to Bonds future is actually the current producers. Seven films they have now produced and only three of them any good. GE, CR and SF. Thats not a good hit rate by any means. For every one they get right they get two wrong. People always blame Wade and Purvis or the directors like Tamahorri but the producers are the ultimate decision makers and to often they have dropped the ball. But worst of all they now seem to be frightened of letting Bond be Bond and instead want him to be more like Bourne. Why? Because the critics like Bourne thats why. Balls to the critics its the fans that should count. There have been many pretenders to the crown; Indiana Jones, John McClane, Martin Riggs and Bourne but Bond is still here and they are not. They should be proud that Bond is the best of the best but i am just not sure they are sometimes
  • cooperman2 wrote:
    Hate to be pedantic but isnt MGM a giant corporation. They hold the purse strings and therefore the future of Bond. Personally i think the biggest threat to Bonds future is actually the current producers. Seven films they have now produced and only three of them any good. GE, CR and SF. Thats not a good hit rate by any means. For every one they get right they get two wrong. People always blame Wade and Purvis or the directors like Tamahorri but the producers are the ultimate decision makers and to often they have dropped the ball. But worst of all they now seem to be frightened of letting Bond be Bond and instead want him to be more like Bourne. Why? Because the critics like Bourne thats why. Balls to the critics its the fans that should count. There have been many pretenders to the crown; Indiana Jones, John McClane, Martin Riggs and Bourne but Bond is still here and they are not. They should be proud that Bond is the best of the best but i am just not sure they are sometimes

That's a quite excellent post you've made there. Some really valid points. Well done.
  • I think EON can fund their own films at this point, but they need MGM for distribution and marketing and there is a 50/50 partnership there, so there are some marketing areas such as the theme song in which they have lost control and merely have input at best. Once the studio decided they want this artist and the artist agrees, they have no say whatsoever and then the next trick is to get the composer to use the song if they didn't help write it. And when you get idiots like Madonna and Jack White who refused to collaborate with Arnold, we've seen how horribly wrong things can go. I do think they resist some things though such as having a minority Bond.

Everything is done with an eye towards marketing, and not towards the wishes of their long time audience. It's sad but true, there's not enough of us to make the films more than moderately financially viable at best. I think it's safe to say that the "Bourne experiment" hasn't been valid since QOS as SF is anything but Bourne but rather classic Bond, and I wouldn't worry about that any longer as a factor, but they are always doing marketing research and are looking at what the general movie going public wants as far as where they take the character. Another sad fact- when a certain minority becomes a majority, that's when the series will really get into trouble and when Bond is no longer white nor British, I am done and I hope I never live to see it :(

• Everything is done with an eye towards marketing, and not towards the wishes of their long time audience. It's sad but true, there's not enough of us to make the films more than moderately financially viable at best. I think it's safe to say that the "Bourne experiment" hasn't been valid since QOS as SF is anything but Bourne but rather classic Bond,

yes this is possible. bond will simply adapt to the market trends, and the classic feel will vanish eventually. even SF borrowed some from Dark Knight (e.g., bardem captivating like joker and psychological themes) I won't be surprised to see a super soldier Bond like Riddick.

my conclusion: Bond will stay forever, but he will be like a chameleon. As long as bond remains white-British, solitary, flirtatious and brutal, I can tolerate that.

Everything is done with an eye towards marketing, and not towards the wishes of their long time audience. It's sad but true, there's not enough of us to make the films more than moderately financially viable at best. I think it's safe to say that the "Bourne experiment" hasn't been valid since QOS as SF is anything but Bourne but rather classic Bond,

yes this is possible. bond will simply adapt to the market trends, and the classic feel will vanish eventually. even SF borrowed some from Dark Knight (e.g., bardem captivating like joker and psychological themes) I won't be surprised to see a super soldier Bond like Riddick.

my conclusion: Bond will stay forever, but he will be like a chameleon. As long as bond remains white-British, solitary, flirtatious and brutal, I can tolerate that.

SF borrowed from Fleming for the psychological themes, thank god.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I think being able to keep Bond rooted in the 50's/60's yet at the same time his world modern is the biggest challenge as we continue to move further away from that time.
    In terms of character development though, there are many facets to Bond's personality which are not a product of the 50's and 60's. It's just Bond chauvinism and xenophobia really that can be left out of the equation.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I think being able to keep Bond rooted in the 50's/60's yet at the same time his world modern is the biggest challenge as we continue to move further away from that time.

Indeed, the trick is to keep the series respectful of its tradition without turning Bond into an outdated relic, like a drunken playboy who fell off a time machine.

It's essential for James Bond to move forward into the 21st Century, rather than perpetually try to rehash the mid-1960s or late 1970s. Excessively rigid adherence to "Classic Bond" could prove just as deadly as corporate demographics-chasing.

It's a difficult balance, but I think that Cubby's heirs have done an admirable job so far.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 2,598
    I think the fact that Bond's a heavy drinker has little to do with what year it is. Certainly it would be unwise to have him drink too heavily with what we know today regarding the health concerns not to mention that he must have a high level of fitness but it's still his character to be a heavy drinker and they need to remain faithful to this. To be realistic though, he just shouldn't drink quite as much as what he did in the 50's and 60's. He can sleep with as many women as he wants too as long as he wears protection and we can just presume that he does. ;)