Who is your Favorite M Q and Moneypenny

2»

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It's only at the end of Skyfall we get a cast again that in the next film rival the golden years in which Lee, Maxwell and Llwelyn were cast.

Allthough I really like Dench's M, I prefer Lee's (also because he's the closest to the M from the books. Indeed, the perfect cast). I think Maxwell had the perfect chemistry with Conners and Moore. It just worked so well. I find all after irritating and/or forgettable up until SF. I also like the back story they've given Eve.

Desmond was and is Q. Cleese did his best, but was unlucky as the films he played in were too campy. Wishaw indeed is the perfect one for the new age. An increadably good actor (indeed, L4yercake!) and a role adapted to these times.
  • It's only at the end of Skyfall we get a cast again that in the next film rival the golden years in which Lee, Maxwell and Llwelyn were cast.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ralph Fiennes and Wishaw was a good Q but I thought Harris was really wooden as MP, and I don't think the current cast rival the original three. Not sure anybody ever will.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 14,838
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I will always defend some of the less popular choices. I like Robert Brown and Judy Dench (who often takes a lot of heat for her alleged 'PC' manners), I like Wishaw and yes, YES, I even like Cleese. I also like Bliss and Bond. In fact, the MI6 staff has never disappointed me. Not once.

But when the question is asked, it's hard for me not to go:

M - Lee

Q - Llewellyn

MP - Maxwell

It's the boring choice no doubt, but surely it's the only choice, no? ;-)

It is the obvious choice, however one could divide by time period. Bernard Lee's M, for instance, had some better moments than others. Same with Maxwell's Moneypenny, who was I think at her best in OHMSS. The tears in her eyes when she takes Bond's hat, the sad smile. Absolute classic. She had her moments afterwards, but never like this one. And none ever did.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Cleese did his best, but was unlucky as the films he played in were too campy.

They were but I still felt that he overdid it a little bit. It's like the producers felt that since everyone thought that Desmond was funny they felt it fitting to cast a comedian in the role. Cleese is very deserving of the respect he gets for being a comic legend but the majority of his jokes fell flat in TWINE and DAD.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It's only at the end of Skyfall we get a cast again that in the next film rival the golden years in which Lee, Maxwell and Llwelyn were cast.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ralph Fiennes and Wishaw was a good Q but I thought Harris was really wooden as MP, and I don't think the current cast rival the original three. Not sure anybody ever will.

I disagree on Harris. I liked her a lot. I liked the fact that she seemed rather uncomfortable as a field agent. I did like the flirting that was going on between her and Bond. I find it far more believable then the cheezyness between Samantha Bond's MP and Brosnan's Bond.

Still, we've as yet seen very little of all of them in their new roles, I just hope they'll live up to expectations. It's too early to promote them as yet.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Samantha Bond didn't get the best lines sometimes but I thought she had great chemistry with Brosnan and seemed much less wooden than Harris did.

I think the one that shows most promise is Wishaw. He was much better than I expected and although I didn't like the idea of a younger Q, it means that he can stay on even longer than the others. Hope they tone down the hacking stuff though.
    TRSTN1 wrote:
    Bernard Lee as M

Desmond Llewelyn as Q

Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny

Without question? I completely agree with the above! ^:)^
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    For me:

M - Judi Dench (even though I love Lee, Dench is definitely my favorite M)

Q - Desmond Llewelyn (forever ...) :x But I do like the young Q that is Wishaw

Moneypenny - Lois (with Naomie second and Samantha 3rd. I think Naomie will shine on, I enjoy her Moneypenny very much!)
    Samantha Bond didn't get the best lines sometimes but I thought she had great chemistry with Brosnan and seemed much less wooden than Harris did.

I think the one that shows most promise is Wishaw. He was much better than I expected and although I didn't like the idea of a younger Q, it means that he can stay on even longer than the others. Hope they tone down the hacking stuff though.

I MUCH prefer Harris to Bond (Samantha, I mean) and I think the chemistry is better too, almost too good in fact: I wouldn't have remained platonic had I been Bond (James).

I too did not like the idea of a younger Q, but ended up enjoying Wishaw quite a lot. I see now it was maybe the only way to go: make the character different than Llewellyn's, to avoid comparisons.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 1,817
    I've seen that the answers don't differ too much from each other.,, What about ranking the dyads so we can counter the interaction between the characters?

M
    Connery-Lee
    Lazenby-Lee
    Moore-Lee
    Moore-Brown
    Dalton-Brown
    Brosnan-Dench
    Craig-Dench
    (Craig-Fiennes could be optional if someone dares based on so short scene)

Q
    Connery-Llewelyn
    Lazenby-Llewelyn
    Moore-Llewelyn
    Dalton-Llewelyn
    Brosnan-Llewelyn
    Brosnan-Cleese
    Craig-Whishaw

Monneypenny
    Connery-Maxwell
    Lazenby-Maxwell
    Moore-Maxwell
    Dalton-Bliss
    Brosnan-Bond
    Craig-Harris

Mine will be:
    1. Connery-Lee
    2. Brosnan-Dench
    3. Dalton-Brown
    4. Craig-Dench
    5. Moore-Brown
    6. Lazenby-Lee
    7. Moore-Lee

1. Connery-Llewelyn
    2. Brosnan-Llewelyn
    3. Moore-Llewelyn
    4. Dalton-Llewelyn
    5. Craig-Whishaw
    6. Brosnan-Cleese
    7. Lazenby-Llewelyn

1. Connery-Maxwell
    2. Lazenby-Maxwell
    3. Moore-Maxwell
    4. Craig-Harris
    5. Brosnan-Bond
    6. Dalton-Bliss
    Greatest M was, and will always be, Bernard Lee

Greatest Q was, and will always be, Desmond Llewelyn

Greatest Moneypenny was, and will always be, Lois Maxwell

whatever came after them, and what we have now, and for in the future, I don't think anyone will be able to replace those names featured
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Maxwell, Llewelyn and Lee for me too.
    Lee, Llewelyn, and Maxwell. You're an idiot to choose otherwise.

HOWEVER. If he remains on for long enough, I MIGHT just possibly tolerate someone saying Whishaw's the best Q.
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    edited August 2013 Posts: 112
    I am finding this more difficult than I should. I have equal liking for Bernard Lee, Robert Brown and Judi Dench. Unlike with the Bond of my childhood, Brosnan, I like the casting of M, Judi Dench. However I will say Robert Brown today, but it could be any of the three tomorrow.
    As for Q, without the slightest doubt in my mind it is Desmond Llewelyn. Some day though Ben Whishaw may have some credibility as a good Q, I liked his appearance in Skyfall.
    Same goes for Moneypenny, definitely Lois Maxwell.

I'll point out for clarification that Brosnan was the Bond of my early childhood, I'm 16 so in the years I consider myself a Bond fan it is Craig.
    JrW_008 wrote:
    I'll point out for clarification that Brosnan was the Bond of my early childhood, I'm 16 so in the years I consider myself a Bond fan it is Craig.

Ah, sonny, for me it was Roger Moore! I was 9 when LALD came out & my brother and I actually saw it in a cinema. For what it's worth, I can now only get my wife to watch Craig's Bond films.
    Favorite M:

1. Bernard Lee
    2. Robert Brown

Favorite Monepenny

1. Lois Maxwell
    2. Caroline Bliss
    3. Barbara Bouchet

Favorite Q:

1. Desmond Llewelyn
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Favourite M - Bernard Lee

Favourite Miss Moneypenny - Lois Maxwell