SOLO - 'The Mystery Of The Incompetent Marketing Campaign'

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Perdogg wrote:
    The US edition, according to Amazon are going to have Deckle Edge paper.

What type of paper is that, may I dare ask, @Perdogg?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

It is the heavier paper with the jagged edges. Older editions used to have Deckle Edges.
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

It is the heavier paper with the jagged edges. Older editions used to have Deckle Edges.

Yes, I think I know the stuff you mean. A bit like hoe a newspaper is cut at the edges or am I way off here?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Yes, I think I know the stuff you mean. A bit like hoe a newspaper is cut at the edges or am I way off here?

You are correct. Doubleday publishing used it a lot.
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

You are correct. Doubleday publishing used it a lot.

One of my paperbacks (DAF) from the mid-1960s has an ordinary cut then a deckle edge cut for a few pages. Must have been a publishing error or something. It's cute in a way. You seem to know a lot about this type of thing, as well as being up on fonts. You put me to shame, @Perdogg.
    Perdogg wrote:

Normally, as a hopeless completist, I would buy both the UK & US hard cover first editions but not this time. I'm going to give the US edition a body swerve. I hate this finish, to me it looks so cheap!
    We've said a lot on this thread regarding IFP & JC's laissez-faire approach to literary Bond in general and SOLO in particular but does anybody know why they don't tie up merchandising deals? I imagine Rolex would give their left arm to be able advertise 'The Real Bond Watch'.

I have preordered a signed Cape edition, a non-signed Cape, and a US Edition.
    Perdogg wrote:

Good. All bases covered then. To be sure, to be sure, to be sure as the Irish game show hosts say.
  • Why did the Irishman wear two condoms?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Good. All bases covered then. To be sure, to be sure, to be sure as the Irish game show hosts say.

I got the unsigned Cape when I ordered the UK edition of the "The Kill List". Since they were being published at the same time in the UK I got a deal on shipping.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,728
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

I got the unsigned Cape when I ordered the UK edition of the "The Kill List". Since they were being published at the same time in the UK I got a deal on shipping.

Oh, great! Saw a signed edition of a Charlie Higson Young Bond novel in Waterstones once priced £25 but I passed as I was never a big Young Bond fan, although I do have copies of all of them as a completist.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 686
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Oh, great! Saw a signed edition opf a Charlie Higson Young Bond novel in Waterstones once priced £25 but I passed as I was never a big Young Bond fan, although I do have copies of all of them as a completist.

I have been contributing to the GDP of the UK since 2011. :)) A lot of those purchases have been in independent bookstores via the web in both England and Scotland.
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Oh, great! Saw a signed edition opf a Charlie Higson Young Bond novel in Waterstones once priced £25 but I passed as I was never a big Young Bond fan, although I do have copies of all of them as a completist.

I have been contributing to the GDP of the UK since 2011. :)) A lot of those purchases have been in independent bookstores via the web in both England and Scotland.

Well, as Chancellor of the Exchequer in waiting I thank you in advance for that. I admire your anti-capitalist stance, even if I am a Conservative.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Well, as Chancellor of the Exchequer in waiting I thank you in advance for that. I admire your anti-capitalist stance, even if I am a Conservative.

Buying from independent booksellers is very capitalistic.
    Villiers53 wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Normally, as a hopeless completist, I would buy both the UK & US hard cover first editions but not this time. I'm going to give the US edition a body swerve. I hate this finish, to me it looks so cheap!
    We've said a lot on this thread regarding IFP & JC's laissez-faire approach to literary Bond in general and SOLO in particular but does anybody know why they don't tie up merchandising deals? I imagine Rolex would give their left arm to be able advertise 'The Real Bond Watch'.

IFP's failure or inability to tie up merchandising deals is a bit of a mystery. CB was riddled with brand mentions from Oakley sunglasses (my God can you imagine Bond wearing these - Oliver Peoples please!) to i-phone. Most were as tasteless as the book itself and to my knowledge, only Bentley got on board by producing a very nice special edition of the book.
    With Boyd's book set in '69 I'm sure Bond will be behind the wheel of a Bentley, atleast for the UK leg, and he will doubtless have a Rolex on his wrist.
    Wether William will go further than Fleming by naming Bond's tailor and cologne in this metro sexual age will be interesting.
    But one things for sure, IFP are certainly not P&G when it comes to optimising these things.
    More opportunities missed - maybe Ian made those guys so rich they simply don't care. Shame for the fans because the merchandising end of things always brings excitement these days and is part of the fun of the fair.

Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Buying from independent booksellers is very capitalistic.

Oh, I disapprove then!
    Villiers53 wrote:
    007InVT wrote:
    Here it is:

http://www.thejamesbonddossier.com/news/solo-cover-revealed.htm

solo-cover.jpg

I quite like the red cover, but I'm not blown away.

My take — it's mediocre. Technically it has all the correct proportions and the bullet hole mechanic is interesting and clearly inspired by the late, great, Raymond Hawkey's Pan cover for 'Thunderball' .
    Does it enthral me in the way Richard Chopping or Raymond Hawkey's work did — no way and that's a problem when you are trying to sell hard backs in the e-book era.
    As an aside, in the Independent, Random House's Suzanne Dean demonstrates that she knows the brief but frankly if I judge her by her own standards, this just doesn't meet it.
    I'm quite sure if you'd asked Raymond Hawkey what his objective was with his 'Ipcress File' cover he'd have said something like; ' to create a bloody cool cover mate'. Now you get a whole lot of marketing speak and something of somebody's desk top.
    Were have all the artists gone?

The Mi6 interview with Suzanne Dean posted in this hallowed cyber hall is so lacklustre it beggars belief.
    What an opportunity missed!
    No question about JC not respecting the code of the original Fleming covers.
    No question about what she thinks about Chopping's work.
    No question about which is her favourite Fleming artwork.
    No question about the similarities between her Solo work and Roymond Hawkey's Thunderball cover for PAN books.
    No question about her being constrained by IFP.
    No question as to wether or not she's read this thread and how does she respond to the opinions of Bond aficionados.
    No question of note about anything really!

• 007InVT007InVT Classified
    edited August 2013 Posts: 893
    I doubt she even bothered to Google previous artwork.

007InVT wrote:

I think that you should read the interview, the lady is not stupid because she created something that did not suit your views. Which is what your gripe sounds like.

The cover leaves me cold as most current covers do. The redemption may lie in the books contents, or so I hope. And yes indeed the US cover is beyond awefull.
    SaintMark wrote:
    007InVT wrote:

I think that you should read the interview, the lady is not stupid because she created something that did not suit your views. Which is what your gripe sounds like.

The cover leaves me cold as most current covers do. The redemption may lie in the books contents, or so I hope. And yes indeed the US cover is beyond awefull.

Never said she was stupid, just that there was no passion or reverence for previous work evident.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 802
    007InVT wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    007InVT wrote:

Never said she was stupid, just that there was no passion or reverence for previous work evident.

@007InVT is absolutely correct, he makes no reference to stupidity. Merely expresses an opinion that I for one agree wholeheartedly with.
    Villiers53 wrote:
    007InVT wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    007InVT wrote:

@007InVT is absolutely correct, he makes no reference to stupidity. Merely expresses an opinion that I for one agree wholeheartedly with.

Well you would if I have read this whole thread correctly, you have a certain taste which is fair enough. But if the end product does not match up to your perhaps "conservative" views of how a cover should look you will not be satisfied no matter what.
    I for one am pleased that the artwork is different from the previous Fleming era, as I consider the continuation novels of a different taste. Boyd is NO Fleming so hence a different cover makes sense.
    Even the Colonel Sun cover is different from the previous covers, I like that one very much by the way.

The lady has undoubtely put passion and reverence into the project, and it would be nice to see the various attempts she did as I doubt sincerely that this was her only design. But at the end of the day it is JC's choice in the matter that counts. I do like the bulletholes as a reference to an earlier JC cover design, so much for not enough reference. Your attempts were blatant copies of great covers but they brought nothing new imho.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Bentley wrote:
    The Mi6 interview with Suzanne Dean posted in this hallowed cyber hall is so lacklustre it beggars belief

Get and interview with her, ask her those questions, send us the replies and we'll publish them.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Bingo!
    JamesPage wrote:
    Bentley wrote:
    The Mi6 interview with Suzanne Dean posted in this hallowed cyber hall is so lacklustre it beggars belief

Get and interview with her, ask her those questions, send us the replies and we'll publish them.

I think the meaning is; "Get an interview" - but this is really not Bentley's job. It is more a case of the one who has the interview using the time properly nest-ce-pas?
    Personally I consider Bentley's questions to be a little more insightful than those posed.

Villiers53 wrote:
    JamesPage wrote:
    Bentley wrote:

I think the meaning is; "Get an interview" - but this is really not Bentley's job. It is more a case of the one who has the interview using the time properly nest-ce-pas?
    Personally I consider Bentley's questions to be a little more insightful than those posed.

Thanks for the support @Villiers53. I din't mean to upset@JamesPage and his bingo friend.
    Merely expressing an opinion that I stand by - all rattles should stay in the prams!
    On a more important note, does anybody know if JC have any plans to launch a special edition?
    I note that Amazon have already crashed the price for the launch. Sad for the few independents left and doubtless won't increase overall sales. Shame we removed MSP from books. It's all backfiring on us now and no tax revenue to boot.

SaintMark wrote:
    Villiers53 wrote:
    007InVT wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    007InVT wrote:

Well you would if I have read this whole thread correctly, you have a certain taste which is fair enough. But if the end product does not match up to your perhaps "conservative" views of how a cover should look you will not be satisfied no matter what.
    I for one am pleased that the artwork is different from the previous Fleming era, as I consider the continuation novels of a different taste. Boyd is NO Fleming so hence a different cover makes sense.
    Even the Colonel Sun cover is different from the previous covers, I like that one very much by the way.

The lady has undoubtely put passion and reverence into the project, and it would be nice to see the various attempts she did as I doubt sincerely that this was her only design. But at the end of the day it is JC's choice in the matter that counts. I do like the bulletholes as a reference to an earlier JC cover design, so much for not enough reference. Your attempts were blatant copies of great covers but they brought nothing new imho.

No need for the unpleasantries.

I have read the whole thread, am entitled to my opinion as are you and I never have said I am bringing something new, but an homage. There's a difference.
    007InVT wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Villiers53 wrote:
    007InVT wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    007InVT wrote:

I have read the whole thread, am entitled to my opinion as are you and I never have said I am bringing something new, but an homage. There's a difference.

No unpleasantries intended.

While I am not impressed with the UK cover and even less with the US cover, the examples in this thread while sometimes nice looking did not woo me either. And the insults aimed at JC were uncalled for. You can always apply yourself to their company as know-it-better.

New covers for new continuation books should be the choice instead of continueing with the Fleming covers. So far very few books have made a real strong impression so they actually match their covers well enough. ;)

SaintMark wrote:
    007InVT wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Villiers53 wrote:
    007InVT wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    007InVT wrote:

No unpleasantries intended.

While I am not impressed with the UK cover and even less with the US cover, the examples in this thread while sometimes nice looking did not woo me either. And the insults aimed at JC were uncalled for. You can always apply yourself to their company as know-it-better.

New covers for new continuation books should be the choice instead of continueing with the Fleming covers. So far very few books have made a real strong impression so they actually match their covers well enough. ;)

@saintmark the objective of this thread was to challenge the complete lack of marketing for the SOLO launch. Happily it has solicited a multiplicity of creative contributions and some thoroughly justified and well thought through criticisms from people that have a strong attachment to literary Bond and considerable knowledge of both Fleming and the work of the continuation authors.
    @007InVT has been at the forefront of this exchange and his creative contribution has been an inspiration. For you to insinuate that he has made unjustified criticisms of JC and that perhaps he can "apply yourself to their company as know-it-better" is just rude and inappropriate.Furthermore, given that your own contribution to this thread has been a big fat zero one can only wonder as to your motive.

[/quote]

@saintmark the objective of this thread was to challenge the complete lack of marketing for the SOLO launch. Happily it has solicited a multiplicity of creative contributions and some thoroughly justified and well thought through criticisms from people that have a strong attachment to literary Bond and considerable knowledge of both Fleming and the work of the continuation authors.
    @007InVT has been at the forefront of this exchange and his creative contribution has been an inspiration. For you to insinuate that he has made unjustified criticisms of JC and that perhaps he can "apply yourself to their company as know-it-better" is just rude and inappropriate.Furthermore, given that your own contribution to this thread has been a big fat zero one can only wonder as to your motive.
    [/quote]

Well said old chap. These Johnny come latelys would be a lot better off over on the film side talking about P&G's latest aftershave or some other such nonsense!