Last two Fleming titles.

edited August 2013 in Literary 007 Posts: 1,314
Just bought Moonraker and Goldfinger, the last two novels I haven't read.

Read TMWTGG last weekend for the first time since I was a teenager. Can see now how incomplete it seems. Very little polish to the prose but still a good adventure.

Comments

• 007InVT007InVT Classified
    You'll love Moonraker.

GF is good if a little all over the place.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    007InVT wrote:
    You'll love Moonraker.

GF is good if a little all over the place.

Moonraker is my personal favourite of the lot - it's also the very first one I ever read, too!
    TMWTGG is highly underrated. Is it the best? Of course not. Is it perfect? You're an idiot if you think so. But it doesn't deserve all the hate. That thrilling opening right up to the assassination attempt on M is amongst the best stuff Fleming ever wrote.
    TMWTGG is highly underrated. Is it the best? Of course not. Is it perfect? You're an idiot if you think so. But it doesn't deserve all the hate. That thrilling opening right up to the assassination attempt on M is amongst the best stuff Fleming ever wrote.

Indeed. it's still Fleming, so still better than a lot of what came after in terms of the Continuation.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Indeed. it's still Fleming, so still better than a lot of what came after in terms of the Continuation.

Yeah, I've never bought the line about it being heavily edited after Fleming's death. It's got an identical feel to his other stuff. It's a fitting ending for the literary character in my opinion, with him getting wounded in the Scaramanga duel. I feel like, if he hung up his Walther after that, it'd be alright. I've not been much for the followup novels. Colonel Sun is fantastic and, I'll say, better than almost half the Fleming novels. It's all downhill from there. Benson gave it a good shot but I think I only like his mainly because it's Benson and he's just a fantastic writer. Haven't been a fan of the others. DMC was okay but it was way overhyped.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Yeah, I've never bought the line about it being heavily edited after Fleming's death. It's got an identical feel to his other stuff. It's a fitting ending for the literary character in my opinion, with him getting wounded in the Scaramanga duel. I feel like, if he hung up his Walther after that, it'd be alright. I've not been much for the followup novels. Colonel Sun is fantastic and, I'll say, better than almost half the Fleming novels. It's all downhill from there. Benson gave it a good shot but I think I only like his mainly because it's Benson and he's just a fantastic writer. Haven't been a fan of the others. DMC was okay but it was way overhyped.

Yes, I have an upcoming article on the blog that makes the case for its having been entirely written by Fleming.