Rate The Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Pacific Rim 2013
    What a load of semi entertaining cheesy nonsense
    And we LIKE it that way!! It's not doing that great at the box office, so right there you know it might be something special. CGI was good, I've seen as good in many other films though, it was the direction & tone of the film that rocked! Likeable cast, good dialogue, nice humour, an all-around FUN movie!

****/ *****

Well played, @chrisisall, and sometimes very true! :))
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2013 Posts: 4,043
    chrisisall wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Pacific Rim 2013
    What a load of semi entertaining cheesy nonsense
    And we LIKE it that way!! It's not doing that great at the box office, so right there you know it might be something special. CGI was good, I've seen as good in many other films though, it was the direction & tone of the film that rocked! Likeable cast, good dialogue, nice humour, an all-around FUN movie!

****/ *****

Well played, @chrisisall, and sometimes very true! :))

We'll have to disagree on this one, the dialogue was so corny and the acting was adequate, as I said I enjoyed to a point but not enough to want to see it again. I'm obviously in the minority, I only hope that Elysium can restore my faith in blockbusters when it arrives.

I'm only expressing my opinion so if that makes me a curmudgeon so be it, I just want something more from Cinema than the majority of what gets green lighted these days just isn't cutting it for me. If you love been awash in countless more comic book adaptations I'm sure you'll be in hog heaven but I can see myself visiting the multiplex less and less especially at the prices they charge.

I'm looking forward to At World's End that was always my most awaited film of the summer season, going to see it next Saturday.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @chrisisall, have you heard anything about the 3D being worth it? I know it was post-converted, which kind of answers my question. The only 3D film I've ever seen that was worth it was 'Avatar.' I read a review that said 'Pacific Rim' in 3D was the second best 3D they've seen, with 'Avatar' in first.
    If Pacific Rim was post-converted to 3D then technology is indeed on a good level. I remember the disastrous post-conversion of that Titans movie (I´m still so traumatised I can´t recall the proper title). Pacific Rim´s 3D looks perfectly ok.
    But beyond that I can´t really say much about the film because I already forgot it. Not my kind of trash. Actually I must say, as a cheesy effects vehicle, I found G.I. Joe Retaliation much better.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @boldfinger, I don't ever care to discuss the monstrosity that was 'Clash of the Titans' or that horrendous joke of 3D it presented. Absolutely disgusting.
    @Creasy47, with or without that terrifyingly traumatic experience in my life, I never for one second got the idea that Pacific Rim was post-converted. So if you enjoyed the movie in 2D, go for it!
    @boldfinger, very nice to hear. I really want to see it in 3D now.
    '2 Guns'

It was quite entertaining. I didn't go into it with a lot of expectations, but there was some nice chemistry between Wahlberg and Washington, the action was quite entertaining, and the comedy throughout was really funny. Good way to spend two hours.
    'We're the Millers'

I felt like a good portion of the funny bits were shown in the trailer, but there were still some more throughout the movie, and Aniston was excellent (and sexy) in this. If you plan on seeing it, stay afterward and watch the gag reel. Hilarious stuff.

Going to see 'Elysium' tonight.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I saw "Elysium" this morning and it was good! I read a few days ago that the director wanted Eminem for the lead role but he turned it down. Damon was awesome in it but I do see why the director wanted him for the role.
    I saw "Elysium" this morning and it was good! I read a few days ago that the director wanted Eminem for the lead role but he turned it down. Damon was awesome in it but I do see why the director wanted him for the role.

So it was worth it? I'm seeing it in XD tonight, which is amplified sound and picture, apparently.
    Creasy47 wrote:

So it was worth it? I'm seeing it in XD tonight, which is amplified sound and picture, apparently.

I say it's worth a watch in theaters but I've never heard of XD (I assume it costs more) so I can't say if you should see it in that.
    The one real negative thing I have to say about it is the hand to hand fighting, you can't tell what the hell is happening because the camera is so shaky and jumps around.

edited August 2013 Posts: 40,371
    @QsAssistant, neither had I until I came to Baltimore for the summer to work. It's $2.50/ticket more, but it's the only showtime we can all go out to see.

That's a shame about the hand-to-hand fighting. It's already ruined the film for me, as it ruined 'Taken 2' and 'Unknown' for me, as well. The jumpy-cam fist fights just don't go well for me, and if I'm clueless as to what's going on, then I'm immediately bitter.

EDIT: 'Elysium': wow, what a bad film. Horrendous editing (you were right, @QsAssistant) that left me questioning what was happening in every single gunfight and fistfight, characters I couldn't care less about, and heavily in-your-face political/health care views that weren't subtle in the slightest. If you're looking for good sci-fi this year, please, go rent/purchase 'Oblivion' instead.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @QsAssistant, neither had I until I came to Baltimore for the summer to work. It's $2.50/ticket more, but it's the only showtime we can all go out to see.

That's a shame about the hand-to-hand fighting. It's already ruined the film for me, as it ruined 'Taken 2' and 'Unknown' for me, as well. The jumpy-cam fist fights just don't go well for me, and if I'm clueless as to what's going on, then I'm immediately bitter.

EDIT: 'Elysium': wow, what a bad film. Horrendous editing (you were right, @QsAssistant) that left me questioning what was happening in every single gunfight and fistfight, characters I couldn't care less about, and heavily in-your-face political/health care views that weren't subtle in the slightest. If you're looking for good sci-fi this year, please, go rent/purchase 'Oblivion' instead.

I didn't hate it but yeah I was expecting something more. The horrible editing during the fist fights just ruins it all for me. In some movies it doesn't bother me but only if there's not a long fight or a lot of them. It didn't bother me in Taken 2 because there was only one fist fight at the end (if I remember right). One of the worst ones was in the Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Legacy, but those movies are so awesome that I still enjoy them.
    I think the story and characters of "Elysium" would have been much better if the movie was about 20 minutes longer. Max just goes from a guy who's looking out for himself to a guy, that all of the sudden, will sacrifice himself for others. Had we had that extra time we could've seen his character actually develop.

@QsAssistant, there was also a fist fight when Neeson is running through the streets, trying to flee the men pursuing him. It was cut so fast and totally left me clueless as to what was happening.
    I was dragged (kicking and screaming) to watch The Heat and do you know what? I actually quite enjoyed it. I'm no fan of The Bullock but she made a pretty decent foil to Melissa McCarthy who was really very funny. Needed a better plot but it was the banter between the two leads which made it watchable.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 23
    Madagascar, in re release . Is it the best film elever ?. ;;)
    @WillyGalore, I'm looking forward to seeing 'The Heat' when it hits blu-ray at Redbox later this year. It's nice to hear, because it looked like McCarthy and Bullock had some pretty good chemistry in the trailers.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 4,622
    deleted post, wrong thread.
    @timmer, where did you see the film in theaters at? Just a re-release somewhere?
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @timmer, where did you see the film in theaters at? Just a re-release somewhere?
    my bad, I picked up the dvd, but it's still pretty new, but you are right, this film is no longer in theatres. It's long gone. Wrong thread.
    Last film I saw in theatre though was The Wolverine. Excellent. Good edgy X-men mutant fare, with a real authentic Japanese touch.

@timmer, it's fine, people usually post the last films they saw in cinemas in other threads, for some reason. I've heard a lot of good praise about 'The Wolverine,' really wanting to see it, but I'll probably wait until it comes out on Redbox.
    Has anyone seen "The World's End"?
    Perdogg wrote:

Yes. It's very good. Think it may be the weakest of the three films though. Need to see it again on when released on Blu-Ray.
    Perdogg wrote:

Yes. It's very good. Think it may be the weakest of the three films though. Need to see it again on when released on Blu-Ray.

That's pretty much the verdict I've heard: good, but weakest in the trilogy. I still look forward to seeing this.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

That's pretty much the verdict I've heard: good, but weakest in the trilogy. I still look forward to seeing this.

Thanks, It is getting 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote:

I didn't hate it but yeah I was expecting something more. The horrible editing during the fist fights just ruins it all for me. In some movies it doesn't bother me but only if there's not a long fight or a lot of them. It didn't bother me in Taken 2 because there was only one fist fight at the end (if I remember right). One of the worst ones was in the Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Legacy, but those movies are so awesome that I still enjoy them.
    I think the story and characters of "Elysium" would have been much better if the movie was about 20 minutes longer. Max just goes from a guy who's looking out for himself to a guy, that all of the sudden, will sacrifice himself for others. Had we had that extra time we could've seen his character actually develop.
    Saw Elysium last night. I absolutely don´t get why people seem to have problems understanding who´s who in the fights, as it all seemed totally clear, but I won´t deny that the fighting scenes near the end were lame.
    While watching it I was very much entertained, at least up until the climax. I notice however that it doesn´t do the film any good to think about it afterwards. It´s only good for enjoying the SFX.

Creasy47 wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

That's pretty much the verdict I've heard: good, but weakest in the trilogy. ...
    I wonder if that will suffice for my spoiled palate.

@boldfinger, I commend you for being able to tell what was going on in 'Elysium.' Did you have any troubles watching 'Taken 2,' if you've seen it? Same problems there for me.
  • Worlds End Funny but not as good as the other two. Still a good end to a great trilogy.

Kick Ass 2 The shock value's gone and Jim Carrey is underused but it's every bit as good as the first film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Conjuring

Scary but nothing original. However, excellent choice by director James Wan to make another possession film when he did. It seems that audiences eat this stuff like candy nowadays. Especially in the USA, some parts of which currently suffer from a downwards spiral into Medieval superstition, this is the kind of horror, presented as "based on true events", that people will happily watch. This also explains the Paranormal Activity craze, which I find hard to explain in any other way, for in my book those PA films are boring, uninspiring and plunging more and more into self-parody.

That said, The Conjuring is effective in delivering some really good scares. However, seasoned horror fans will recognise pretty much all the tricks before the film has fully exploited them and in fact they will be able to quote a dozen films that The Conjuring has obviously taken bits from: Amityville Horror, Darkness, Emily Rose, Exorcist, Woman In Black, Sinister, Legend Of Hell House... to mention but a few. Also, the "based on true events" line usually smells like BS to me. BUT, all in all the actors manage to convince, the story is well structured and the execution is spot on.

To those who are susceptible to fears for demonic possession, I say please, lose the spiritual nonsense and embrace science. Watch this film because you want to watch an effectively scary flick, not because you seriously consider the possibility that this is real stuff. Keep in mind that God is the sum total of all the laws of physics and Satan is everyone who allows religion to hijack morality. The Conjuring is a satisfying bit of campy horror, presented with some strong terror vibes, but ultimately set in fantasy land.
    Watched Blow-Up last night. What a bizarre and intriguing film! I suppose that's because London in 1966 was a rather bizarre and intriguing place. At any rate, I award Blow-Up 89 marks out of 100.