TV role Connery turned down, eventually taken by "you know who".

edited July 2013 in Actors Posts: 224
I was reading James Garner's (Maverick and Rockford) autobiography the other day and learned something new about Connery. When Garner was leaving Maverick over a contract dispute, Warner Bros. decided to replace him with someone who would portray his British cousin. Thus, Sean Connery was offered the role. Sean turned it down. Warner Bros. then turned to their backup plan.....Roger Moore. Only if Warner Bros agreed that Moore would take on the role for one year and then let him out of his long-term Warner Bros contract, would Rog agree to do it. Warner Bros agreed and Moore promptly went from playing Beau Maverick to playing a James Bondish character, Simon Templar. And that, as they say, is history. It's no wonder when Moore was asked in the early 60s how he got the role of Templar, he responded: "Only because Sean Connery was not available".

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Interesting factoid there. Thanks for sharing it @Ellis!
    Moore had always remained gentle, unassumed and suave both on and off screen. It shows his generosity though he could make Templar role his own gig.
    I think it all worked out for the best in the end! Could not imagine them not being in those roles now? Especially having grown up with all of them. Absolutely loved the Garner in the Rockford files! Got the theme tune whizzing around my head as I type this! :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That is a cool tidbit of information! Thanks for sharing it with us, @Ellis.