Rate The Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2013 Posts: 28,694
    boldfinger wrote:
    World War Z.

As troubled as the production was reported to be, the film is a great thriller. Visually of great beauty, it refrained from over-using cheap shock effects, and managed with no problem to keep me pulled into the scenario even hours after I left the cinema. Strong characters all over the board, and I appreciate much that, even though the scenario has a certain end-of-the-world feel to it, it didn´t feel depressing.
    I don´t know why people ridicule Marc Forster, the man makes cool films.

Bad word of mouth, probably. Too many followers, not enough leaders.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just saw 'White House Down.' Good fun, can't compare it to 'Olympus Has Fallen' as I haven't seen that, but I like this cast overall more. Nice that they omitted a good portion of the finale out of the trailers, too. This is an excellent popcorn film for the summer, but sadly, it's one of those that everyone will tear apart and loathe just because it isn't the next Oscar winner.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    White House Down reminds of the recent GI Joe film, not to mention Independance Day with Will Smith.
    Although I haven't seen either of the first two newer films.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    timmer wrote:
    White House Down reminds of the recent GI Joe film, not to mention Independance Day with Will Smith.
    Although I haven't seen either of the first two newer films.

Read the late Vince Flynn's Transfer of Power if you want the greatest White House takeover out there. It is also the first appearance of Mitch Rapp.
    Read the late Vince Flynn's Transfer of Power if you want the greatest White House takeover out there. It is also the first appearance of Mitch Rapp.
    For sure. I just picked up The Last Man, so Transfer of Power will be my next Mitch Rapp.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Nicholas WInding Refn is a great action director thanks to the very good "DRIVE" with Ryan Gosling, their reunion happens in "ONLY GOD FORGIVES" : a true bloody modern action film with many realistic fights but no real scenario (at least minimalist) ; a revenge and a investigation in disguise during this chase. The acting is surely good Ryan Gosling and Kristin Scott Thomas first,but the direction so-so and the OST too noisy between silences and dialogues. Disappointing try of a wannabe Tarantino...

5,5/10
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    edited June 2013 Posts: 403
    Fast 6, a ridiculous ride that defies physics and logic but manages to be too fun not to like. And I could have sworn I saw the DB5 in the auction scene. 7/10
    @LicencedToKilt69007, I've heard many poor reviews from 'Only God Forgives,' and it was heavily booed at Sundance, I believe, but they say most of the films that went on to be highly praised were booed at Sundance. Shame, as I really like Refn, but I'll still give it a watch.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote:
    but sadly, it's one of those that everyone will tear apart and loathe just because it isn't the next Oscar winner.
    Sounds just like my kind of film :-).
    In the trailer I was a bit annoyed that Channum Tatting is supposed to save Ricardo Tubbs who could beat the sh*t out of the former with his hands tied behind his back. Does it come across like that also in the film?

@boldfinger, Foxx plays a pretty studious, respectable President, but granted, with that title, he has a lot of enemies, and he does provide a good bit of the comic relief in the film. When it comes to him fighting, shooting, or being in a serious situation, he seems pretty capable of handling himself. With 'Django Unchained' fresh in my mind, I was expecting him to roll around with handguns blasting away all the bad guys, but he manages to get some kills in there.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @LicencedToKilt69007, I've heard many poor reviews from 'Only God Forgives,' and it was heavily booed at Sundance, I believe, but they say most of the films that went on to be highly praised were booed at Sundance. Shame, as I really like Refn, but I'll still give it a watch.
    I saw Alejandro Jodorowsky and Refn today being interviewed at the local Filmfest. Both directors have a very high regard for one another. When it came to the reception of Only God forgives, Jodorowsky referred to the Cannes audience as penguins who were over-burdened with that kind of art. He also said Spielberg is a child of Disney who f***s Mickey Mouse. It was very fascinating to see the two of them. Unfortunately the audience didn´t get the chance to put questions, so I couldn´t ask Refn if it´s true that he is on a shortlist for directing Bond.

@boldfinger, that's pretty crazy. At least you got to see Refn in person.
    'Despicable Me 2'

I quite enjoyed it and thought it was hilarious. I haven't seen the first one in a long time - just snippets and clips since then - but the second one was very funny and entertaining. Good for all ages, I felt. Up next, 'Pacific Rim.'
    Man of Steel - 9/10. Awesome movie though not perfect.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I also saw Despicable Me 2. Really great fun was had by all. I'm sure there's at least another film there somewhere but don't think it will be able to keep going after that.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I also saw Despicable Me 2. Really great fun was had by all. I'm sure there's at least another film there somewhere but don't think it will be able to keep going after that.

I agree. I can see another coming out, but I hope they don't drag it on and tire out the universe after that.
    Just got back from seeing 'Pacific Rim' and I loved it. I thought towards the beginning it was really slow and was going to hold out tremendously on some good Jaegar/Kaiju fights, but it succeeded as the film went along and I ended up loving every minute. Acting was a little stale at parts, though. Overall, wonderful summer blockbuster.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Now You see me.

I didn´t enjoy it too much. Beautiful illusionist tricks, but the film was so desperate to bring a twist every five minutes that it didn´t really create much feeling for any character or situation. Fantastic cast though through and through.

Creasy47 wrote:
    Just got back from seeing 'Pacific Rim' and I loved it. I thought towards the beginning it was really slow and was going to hold out tremendously on some good Jaegar/Kaiju fights, but it succeeded as the film went along and I ended up loving every minute. Acting was a little stale at parts, though. Overall, wonderful summer blockbuster.
    Glad to hear that. Last year it felt like something to avoid, but somehow my intuition changed into looking forward to in recent weeks.

edited July 2013 Posts: 40,372
    'The Conjuring'

What a let down. Cinematography and acting were top-notch, but the scares just didn't deliver (seriously, it got an R-rating for being TOO scary? I must've missed it.) It's a let down just like 'Sinister' was. It got a few jumps out of me, but nothing special, and Wan pretty much disappointed this time around. Let's hope 'Insidious: Chapter Two' doesn't go down the same path, because when I see horror movies these days that are meant to scare, I instantly want to compare them to 'Insidious.'
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Just got back from seeing 'Pacific Rim' and I loved it.
    Yes, we loved it too, it had a very 'Independence Day' vibe about it, just a really fun Summer movie. Saw it in 2D, I'd see it again for the 3D now...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Pacific Rim was a great movie! Loved it. It was like a cross between transformers, Independence Day and Gidzilla. I thought the movie was going to be kind of meh after the opening fight but the film got increasingly impressive. Highly recommend this film.
    Idris Elba was so good!
    @chrisisall, have you heard anything about the 3D being worth it? I know it was post-converted, which kind of answers my question. The only 3D film I've ever seen that was worth it was 'Avatar.' I read a review that said 'Pacific Rim' in 3D was the second best 3D they've seen, with 'Avatar' in first.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @chrisisall, have you heard anything about the 3D being worth it?
    One of my modeling buds said it was worth it in 3D.
    @chrisisall, good. I really want to see it again, maybe this is the best way for me to do so.
    If I see it again I'll definitely go 3D.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Pacific Rim 2013

What a load of semi entertaining cheesy nonsense, I'm sure I've come to the end of the line with these C.G.I motivated juggernauts and Guillermo Del Toro needs to make another film in his native tongue. His talent is diluted by Hollywood, yes it does do what it says on the tin but I think I've just grown tired of the contents of said tin.

* * 1/2 / * * * * *
    @Shardlake, so what you're saying is you absolutely loved the film and you will be purchasing it day one on DVD, blu-ray, digital, and VHS?
    Shardlake wrote:
    Pacific Rim 2013
    What a load of semi entertaining cheesy nonsense
    And we LIKE it that way!! It's not doing that great at the box office, so right there you know it might be something special. CGI was good, I've seen as good in many other films though, it was the direction & tone of the film that rocked! Likeable cast, good dialogue, nice humour, an all-around FUN movie!

****/ *****
    Red 2:
    Haven't seen theories in a while, but loved this one. Some nice twists, some of which I saw coming though. Hilarious movie, especially Malkovich. 4/5

Man of Steel: Liked it for the most part, except the action/fight scenes. 3/5