Films You Are Embarrassed to Admit You Haven't Seen

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2013 Posts: 17,687
    timmer wrote:
    :)) I may break down and order the dvd too.
    $17 is kind of expensive these days, but I grew up watching Ms. Welch, she's part of my childhood & adolescence. I have Fantastic Voyage & Fuzz, and I need one of her westerns to round it out. Bandelero & 100 Rifles were really good, but in my hazy memory, Hannie Caulder was an excellent movie, as WELL as a starring role for her (I wanted to like Fathom SO much, but the movie really just sucks).
    Kansas City Bomber I saw EVERY time it was on TV, but really just for her, and her part in the Three Musketeers was simply a goof.

However, on topic- I'm actually ashamed to say I've never seen Citizen Kane. Another thing I need to remedy.
    Alright here we go.

- The Godfather Part II & III
    - Fight Club (in its entirety)
    - The Graduate
    - Memento
    - Raging Bull
    - Rear Window
    - The Fugitive
    - The Shawshank Redemption (in its entirety)
    - The Usual Suspects
    - Total Recall (1990)

I know, I know, I'm working on it!
    SJK91 wrote:
    Alright here we go.
    Fight Club
    Ummm.. not supposed to talk about it....
    ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    timmer wrote:
    :)) I may break down and order the dvd too.
    $17 is kind of expensive these days, but I grew up watching Ms. Welch, she's part of my childhood & adolescence. I have Fantastic Voyage & Fuzz, and I need one of her westerns to round it out. Bandelero & 100 Rifles were really good, but in my hazy memory, Hannie Caulder was an excellent movie, as WELL as a starring role for her (I wanted to like Fathom SO much, but the movie really just sucks).
    Kansas City Bomber I saw EVERY time it was on TV, but really just for her, and her part in the Three Musketeers was simply a goof.

However, on topic- I'm actually ashamed to say I've never seen Citizen Kane. Another thing I need to remedy.

Has Citizen Kane ever been spoiled for you, @chrisisall? I would be shocked to hear if it hadn't.

edited July 2013 Posts: 17,687
    Has Citizen Kane ever been spoiled for you, @chrisisall? I would be shocked to hear if it hadn't.
    Oh, it was spoiled for me in High School... I've basically known the whole story for decades, just never saw the actual movie is all.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    Oh, it was spoiled for me in High School... I've basically known the whole story for decades, just never saw the actual movie is all.

I figured, as that is quite common-especially for that film- unfortunately. I had it spoiled for me when I was little (around eight, probably), because I saw a poster for it and asked my uncle what the film was. He said
    "it is about a sled."
    I didn't know it at that young age, but as my movie love increased and I branched out more and more to classics, I finally realized that my uncle had committed a horrible film sin by spoiling it for me. Some of the worst kinds of spoilers are the types where once you hear them you don't even realize until later that they have spoiled a film for you.

Plenty of the films on my watch-list are ones that have been spoiled for me and I simply then lost interest in seeing them. Others, like the Lord of the Rings films just have never interested me and are more of a chore than a joy to try and watch. But, I will try my best in the future to tackle all the films I listed and more, in good time.
    Schindler's List
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Graduate
    chrisisall wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:
    Alright here we go.
    Fight Club
    Ummm.. not supposed to talk about it....
    ;)
    The first rule. :O

I'm doomed.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Schindler's List
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Graduate
    Oh do check out The Graduate. The ultimate young guy fantasy film!

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Only Balje could list Van Helsing as a film he's embarrassed not to have seen.

The guys mental.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

The guys mental.

You are so discerning, Mr Ice. Plus, you forgot your apostrophe there. Go and sit in the naughty corner. :)
    Dragonpol wrote:

The guys mental.

You are so discerning, Mr Ice. Plus, you forgot your apostrophe there. Go and sit in the naughty corner. :)

You bastard. I blame IPhone.

But you are absolutely correct Draggers. By the lofty standards the Wizard demands I have indeed let myself down.

Humble apologies to all for this faux pas - although it is somewhat ironic that in a post about Balje it's me not him that is pulled up on grammar!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote:

The guys mental.

You bastard. I blame IPhone.

But you are absolutely correct Draggers. By the lofty standards the Wizard demands I have indeed let myself down.

Humble apologies to all for this faux pas - although it is somewhat ironic that in a post about Balje it's me not him that is pulled up on grammar!

Only joking of course, friend. I use a PC, but then I'm old-fashioned and archaic in my ways!
    Don't remember ever seeing these, and I know I should watch them some time.

Lawrence of Arabia
    Ben-Hur
    True Grit (with John Wayne)
    The Good Shepherd
    The Thomas Crown Affair 1968...

...and some of the newer Harry Potter films.

JamesPage wrote:
    Star Wars...

...but I'm not embarrassed about that :-P

Same here. Never seen them but I have no interest and I'm not embarrassed.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.

Ive seen almost the entire IMDB top250, but ive never seen Kill Bill and the Matrix Trilogy.
    JWPepper wrote:
    Ive seen almost the entire IMDB top250, but ive never seen Kill Bill and the Matrix Trilogy.

Nothing to be embarassed about as the matrix trilogy contains one decent movie and two WTF are they, and Kill Bill is QT's hommage to eastern cinema and they do it much better themselves. O:-)
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I haven't watched any of the Christopher Nolan Batman films, I guess I'm a little embarrassed by that!
    saunders wrote:
    I haven't watched any of the Christopher Nolan Batman films, I guess I'm a little embarrassed by that!

Don't be, they are just not as good as the hype would make you believe. The first one did "borrow" alot including camerashots from a little known movie as "the Shadow", the 2nd one would never have been that well received were it for the way too early departure of the actor playing The Joker (honestly he was the best part of the movie). ANd the third was kind of crap, if you like Bruce Wayne living happely ever after and physical impossible healing (outside from a character called Wolverine) and over OTT actionscenes that make no sense whatsoever.

But let it be your own choice.

Have you seen Batman returns? Then you have seen the best Batman movie to date.

O:-)
    SaintMark wrote:
    I think Batman & Batman Returns are both awesome in different ways.
    chrisisall wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    I think Batman & Batman Returns are both awesome in different ways.

Agreed

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

If you haven't seen the Nolan Bat films I would check themselves out for yourself rather than taking SaintMark's opinion, he's clearly more a fan of the campy Burton Batman, if that is your bag fine but these films have not aged well.

I personally feel these films especially TDK is some of the highest standard of blockbuster film making we've seen in the last 20 years but TDKR was a complete disappointment and nowhere the standard of the TDK or as good as BB.

No they aren't without plot holes and yes Ledger's death did allot for TDK success not that takes anything away from one of the greatest onscreen villain performances of all time. I'll take this over Hopkins Lecter and Mads Mikklesen has stolen that role away from him now anyway.

Both BB & TDK have some of the best acting seen in a mainstream blockbuster ever and leave the acting in the Burton films looking 1 dimensional, if you like this kind of thing maybe the depth and darkness will turn you off as obviously turns off our friend above.

I don't mind Returns but Joker as it should be called as he's the far more dominant character is just a disjointed mess which doesn't flow and has totally overrated hammy turn from Nicholson that overwhelms the film, Ledger is the definitive Joker by far.

As for me when it comes to films I'm embarrassed not to have seen, I guess being what I would call a serious film fan I haven't seen Henri-Georges Clouzot's Wages of Fear but I intend to rectify that soon as I bought it on Blu ray in the recent Criterion sale on Amazon.

I also haven't Seven Samurai, La Dolce Vita, the list could go on but rather than watch more crap like Captain America and The Avengers I intend on remedying that soon. I've watched far too much blockbusters in my time and just find them repetitive, unimaginative and dumb. I wanted to see a Danish film A Hijacking recently but couldn't find a cinema that was showing it and that film by all accounts seems to be one of the highlights of 2013. I intend to watch more world cinema as it seems the Europeans make far more intelligent and original films than the U.S with. some exceptions

I certainly will try to curtail the watching of countless sequels, I don't mind entertainment but mindless, I know some think watching this kind of thing is enjoyable but my head just aches at it's banality. I'll leave this kind of thing to people who have no serious interest in film and just see it as a distraction, the kind of people that Hollywood is now gearing the majority of it's product to.
    SaintMark wrote:
    saunders wrote:

Don't be, they are just not as good as the hype would make you believe. The first one did "borrow" alot including camerashots from a little known movie as "the Shadow", the 2nd one would never have been that well received were it for the way too early departure of the actor playing The Joker (honestly he was the best part of the movie). ANd the third was kind of crap, if you like Bruce Wayne living happely ever after and physical impossible healing (outside from a character called Wolverine) and over OTT actionscenes that make no sense whatsoever.

But let it be your own choice.

Batman Returns is barely a Batman film at times. That certainly isn't the Batman I know and love.

If you are a big Batman fan you will probably like the Nolan Batman films, @saunders. Warner Bros. finally made the right move with letting him helm the character's next set of films in the early 2000s as he is the first big screen Batman director to have actually read the comics and like the character with a passion. Watching both Burton's Batman and Batman Returns along with the garbage Schumacher pushed out shows plainly that neither ever read a single Batman comic, didn't get the character and weren't paying any attention whatsoever to what makes the characters who they are. I don't need to see Batman sadistically smiling, bordering on laugher as he straps a bomb to a henchman and pushes him down a manhole to crudely explode. That isn't how the Batman I love does things. Don't even get me started on
    Batman letting Joker die, letting Vicki into the Batcave after knowing her for only a few days, running into bullets like a moth to a flame, the penguins launching rockets off their backs
    or anything else these films messed about with.
    Brady we agree on the Schumacher Bat thingie movies.
    Shardlake wrote:
    crap like Captain America and The Avengers

Sorry Shard, my ability to take you seriously just came to a middle.
    Let's see, I can think of a few more I haven't seen...

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    Schindler's List (1993)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    Goodfellas (1990)
    Casablanca (1942)
    Psycho (1960)
    Sunset Blvd. (1950)
    Apocalypse Now (1979)
    Citizen Kane (1941)
    L.A. Confidential (1997)
    Braveheart (1995)

I was going down the list of from this website.
    "TOP 100 BEST MOVIES EVER MADE"
    http://www.imdb.com/list/cTYs9UiM5Ic/
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    chrisisall wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    crap like Captain America and The Avengers [/quotel
    Sorry Shard, my ability to take you seriously just came to a middle.

Really? I wasn't aware these 2 films are bastions of quality. So my dislike of these 2 souless blockbusters makes me hard to take serious?

Now if I'd said a true classic was rubbish but these 2? I fail to share your amusement.
    Shardlake wrote:
    If you haven't seen the Nolan Bat films I would check themselves out for yourself rather than taking SaintMark's opinion, he's clearly more a fan of the campy Burton Batman, if that is your bag fine but these films have not aged well.

I personally feel these films especially TDK is some of the highest standard of blockbuster film making we've seen in the last 20 years but TDKR was a complete disappointment and nowhere the standard of the TDK or as good as BB.

No they aren't without plot holes and yes Ledger's death did allot for TDK success not that takes anything away from one of the greatest onscreen villain performances of all time. I'll take this over Hopkins Lecter and Mads Mikklesen has stolen that role away from him now anyway.

Both BB & TDK have some of the best acting seen in a mainstream blockbuster ever and leave the acting in the Burton films looking 1 dimensional, if you like this kind of thing maybe the depth and darkness will turn you off as obviously turns off our friend above.

I don't mind Returns but Joker as it should be called as he's the far more dominant character is just a disjointed mess which doesn't flow and has totally overrated hammy turn from Nicholson that overwhelms the film, Ledger is the definitive Joker by far.

As for me when it comes to films I'm embarrassed not to have seen, I guess being what I would call a serious film fan I haven't seen Henri-Georges Clouzot's Wages of Fear but I intend to rectify that soon as I bought it on Blu ray in the recent Criterion sale on Amazon.

I also haven't Seven Samurai, La Dolce Vita, the list could go on but rather than watch more crap like Captain America and The Avengers I intend on remedying that soon. I've watched far too much blockbusters in my time and just find them repetitive, unimaginative and dumb. I wanted to see a Danish film A Hijacking recently but couldn't find a cinema that was showing it and that film by all accounts seems to be one of the highlights of 2013. I intend to watch more world cinema as it seems the Europeans make far more intelligent and original films than the U.S with. some exceptions

I certainly will try to curtail the watching of countless sequels, I don't mind entertainment but mindless, I know some think watching this kind of thing is enjoyable but my head just aches at it's banality. I'll leave this kind of thing to people who have no serious interest in film and just see it as a distraction, the kind of people that Hollywood is now gearing the majority of it's product to.

I would listen to Shardlake over SaintMark Saunders as the Wages of Fear comment proves the guy knows his onions.

Refreshing to see a proper film fan here Shardlake rather than people lamenting not having seen dross (Van Helsing, Kill Bill, the Matrix trilogy). I take it you have seen Les Diaboliques though? Probably the best Hitchcock film ever made!

The Wages of Fear I actually thought was better the first time I saw it but less so when I saw it years later. For the time though it does have some unbearably tense set pieces and is another example of Clouzot's brilliance.

I heartily agree with all the rest if your comments too.

Bugger it I meant to go and see that film The Hijacking too. I remember seeing a poster on the tube. On holiday now so it will be gone by the time I get back.
    So if you have seen Wages of fear or Les diaboliques you know your film classics and are knowledgable. I did see both and enjoyed them as great movies. But I have seen many movies and my preference generally goes to French, Italian and even Spanish cinema and the b/w movies of the 60's and earlier. I have even seen quite a few silent movies and do have a few of them in my collection.

I feel no embarrrasment for having missed a few movies that I will undoubtely will see sooner or later, the movies named in this thread I have seen, bar one the Rachel Welch movie.

While I enjoy the mainstream blockbusters, Cap America or the Avengers are in my view no soulless blockbusters as the men behind them are pretty good directors with love for their subject matter imho, I do visit the filmhouses as well for the less fortunate movies that do not receive a place in the big cinemas and am more often than not very surprised by the sheer quality of storytelling and visuals.

And indeed I am more in awe of Tim Burtons visuals as I am of Nolans visuals, I like the fairytalesque views from Burtons visions over the industrial visions of Nolan. And I think that the superheros are modernday fairytales hence my preference to Burtons vision. And his "Batman returns" is the one movie where he gets a balanced fairytale where in Batman he focused to much on The Joker but Batman does play a far stronger part in esablishing his character than in BB by Nolan. ANd like all of these movies they have their beauty faults and lesser moments. TDK is indeed Nolans best movie of the three, BB is inexcusable a stolen/copied movie from one of my guilty pleasure movies namely "the Shadow", this pulphero in Old Time Radio, pulpmagazines and this one great movie is somewhat of a sift spot for me.
    Refreshing to see a proper film fan here Shardlake rather than people lamenting not having seen dross (Van Helsing, Kill Bill, the Matrix trilogy).
    Personally, I am a pedestrian sort. Kubrick, Truffaut, Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Whedon; these fellas are as close to artsy stuff as I get, thank you very much.