The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

That's about as far as the appeal went because the show was so bad at times it was a crime against humanity. Truly one of the worst written and produced shows ever but it does have a mindless entertainment value if you can forget how it damaged the UNCLE brand.
    Latest tidbit from Hammer at the premiere of the Lone Ranger:

What is next for you after this huge Disney film?

We are doing a movie called The Man from U.N.C.L.E with Guy Richieand we star shooting at the end of the year, I’m really excited about that.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Please, I hate how he says " a movie called The Man From Uncle" like it's some obscure title.
    Just because he's not hip to the show, doesn't mean everyone else in Movieland is too. These kids......
    For a lot people under forty it is an obscure title, as much as I hate to say it. Yep, I agree, these kids........................... (The Bourne Identity was just as obscure to the same demographic just a few years ago).
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Well at least the young Hammer is getting educated. Lone Ranger is much older than Uncle, but still it's no excuse as plenty from his generation and prior, are very well aware of smash-hit shows that may have pre-dated their birth.
    Eg iconic stuff like the Wizard of Oz and Tarzan that go way back, and Sherlock Holmes prior to the recent resurgence.
    I would prefer that he simply refer to the project as The Man From Uncle or a revival of same, even if he himself only discovered the show a week earlier. No need to dumb things down, once one is aware of the history.
  • Meanwhile the distinguished writer Richard Matheson has passed away at the age of 87. His one contribution to the '60s spy craze? Writing an episode of The Girl From UNCLE:

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/richard-matheson-and-his-unlikely-contribution-to-spy-tv/

• timmer wrote:
    Please, I hate how he says " a movie called The Man From Uncle" like it's some obscure title.
    Just because he's not hip to the show, doesn't mean everyone else in Movieland is too. These kids......

In the Australian TV interview linked earlier, Hammer says, "based on the old television show," which got a rise from one of the hosts who was familiar with it.

If production doesn't start before the end of the year, Warners is missing a golden opportunity. A late 2013 start would mean a movie could be out in time for the show's 50th anniversary. Obviously, that's not going to get the rise that Skyfall got for 007's 50th anniversary but still....

In the Australian TV interview linked earlier, Hammer says, "based on the old television show," which got a rise from one of the hosts who was familiar with it.
    :) That's much better.
    Meanwhile the distinguished writer Richard Matheson has passed away at the age of 87. His one contribution to the '60s spy craze? Writing an episode of The Girl From UNCLE:

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/richard-matheson-and-his-unlikely-contribution-to-spy-tv/
    How sad. I loved Richard Matheson and didn't realise he'd passed away. He wrote some of the best sci-fi fantasy literature out there: Duel; I am Legend; The Incredible Shrinking Man; Somewhere In Time; A Stir of Echos; The Enemy Within (Star Trek); The Night Stalker; The Legend of Hell House.

He's had such an influence on pop culture. Thank you, Mr Matheson.
    Latest interview:

Armie plays David’s character, Illya Kuryakin, a Russian spy. Henry landed Robert’s role, Napoleon Solo, after Tom Cruise gave up the part due to a shooting-schedule conflict.
    “I would have loved to work with Tom, but at the same time, I’m also excited to do it with Henry, because it adds a different twist to the movie,” Armie said in a recent interview in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
    At the time of our interview, Armie said he has not met Henry or David. “I’m excited about meeting both of them,” said the great grandson of the late oil tycoon and art collector, Armand Hammer. “Hopefully, I’ll get to meet David while making the movie. We start shooting in August.”
    “I’m also very excited about playing a Russian,” Armie added. “I’m in the middle of my research phase now. I’m studying the political climate during the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union. It was a fascinating time globally. It’s such a great script (by Scott Z. Burns), and it’s so funny! Guy Ritchie has such a great take on it.”

Read more: http://entertainment.inquirer.net/100957/armie-hammer-excited-to-work-with-henry-cavill#ixzz2Xcw5GyOF
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook
  • delfloria wrote:
    Latest interview:

Armie plays David’s character, Illya Kuryakin, a Russian spy. Henry landed Robert’s role, Napoleon Solo, after Tom Cruise gave up the part due to a shooting-schedule conflict.
    “I would have loved to work with Tom, but at the same time, I’m also excited to do it with Henry, because it adds a different twist to the movie,” Armie said in a recent interview in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
    At the time of our interview, Armie said he has not met Henry or David. “I’m excited about meeting both of them,” said the great grandson of the late oil tycoon and art collector, Armand Hammer. “Hopefully, I’ll get to meet David while making the movie. We start shooting in August.”
    “I’m also very excited about playing a Russian,” Armie added. “I’m in the middle of my research phase now. I’m studying the political climate during the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union. It was a fascinating time globally. It’s such a great script (by Scott Z. Burns), and it’s so funny! Guy Ritchie has such a great take on it.”

Read more: http://entertainment.inquirer.net/100957/armie-hammer-excited-to-work-with-henry-cavill#ixzz2Xcw5GyOF
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

The similarities to Thunderball in that Scott Z. Burns script make me leery, but we'll see.

Me too but the parenthesis around the Burns comment may indicate that it's the writers impression that it's still the Burns script.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    With filming starting in August this film should be out next year. I hope we learn the release date soon.
  • delfloria wrote:
    Me too but the parenthesis around the Burns comment may indicate that it's the writers impression that it's still the Burns script.

Yes, I noticed that also. The way I'd characterize it (at this point) is to say Hammer is quoted as saying it's the Burns script. Even if it is, it may still have been revised since late 2011 (when Soderbergh departed) and now.

• Samuel001 wrote:
    With filming starting in August this film should be out next year. I hope we learn the release date soon.

I would think (at least hope) there'd be an announcement around the time shooting begins.

So who's playing Mr. Waverly? Any rumors, if not disclosures?
  • Dr_Yes wrote:

The only other casting that's been discussed is the female lead. I personally haven't seen any talk about Waverly or any other part. Also, if they're really going to start filming by the end of August, you'd think some other crew members (director of photography, editor, composer) might have surfaced.
    Dr_Yes wrote:

The only other casting that's been discussed is the female lead. I personally haven't seen any talk about Waverly or any other part. Also, if they're really going to start filming by the end of August, you'd think some other crew members (director of photography, editor, composer) might have surfaced.

Since it's still safe for idle speculation, I'd choose James Fox for Mr. Waverly. A second choice could be Tom Wilkinson.
  • Dr_Yes wrote:
    Dr_Yes wrote:

Since it's still safe for idle speculation, I'd choose James Fox for Mr. Waverly. A second choice could be Tom Wilkinson.

Also safe for idle speculation, who should the composer be?

David Arnold? He doesn't mind working in an established theme he didn't write. Besides his five Bond films, he also scored the Samuel L. Jackson version of Shaft (where Jackson's shaft was the nephew of the original).

Michael Giaccchino? Or a vet like 81-year-old Lalo Schifrin (who scored two episodes of the original show and did the theme arrangement for the second season)?
    Most likely it would be Zimmer from Sherlock.
  • Another Armie Hammer interview:

You're playing Illya Kuryakin in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."
    Yes.

I feel that people unfamiliar with the show might not realize how cool that character is.
    That's very true. I had no idea before I got involved with it.

The actor who played him in the series, David McCallum, became a heartthrob because of this character.
    Oh, dude, he had the way with ladies. He had all of the spy gadgets. He was tough. He was cool. He had everything. He was like the original Bond.

It's an interesting movie because "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." was a popular show in the '60s, but it hasn't been a sustained popularity like something like "The Lone Ranger" or "Star Trek." Do you think it needs to be completely reintroduced?
    I try not to think about that. I mean, that seems to me-- you know, Guy Ritchie, who's directing it, that's in his wheelhouse. I'll let him worry about that. For me, like I said, my job lies almost exclusively between when the director says "action" and when he calls "cut." So, it could also maybe be more freeing. That we do have a bit more artistic liberties to take with this. Because there are less people who are staunch fans of it.

URL:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/28/armie-hammer-the-lone-ranger_n_3518774.html?ref=topbar
    Ouch!
    Hopefully Guy Ritchie's direction will be very hands on with this guy!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Interesting thread that I will have to peruse later.
  • timmer wrote:
    Hopefully Guy Ritchie's direction will be very hands on with this guy!
    Dude, I hope you're right. :-)
    Another interview with Hammer:

Your next movie, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., sort of splits the difference, right?

A little bit, yeah.

What does Guy Ritchie have planned for that?

Guy Ritchie greatness. That’s all I can say.

There’s been a lot of turns with this project. “Tom Cruise is out… This guy is out…” You seem to have been there the whole time.

Like a fungus.

What is it about it that got you to stick around?

It was Guy. I mean it was a hundred percent Guy, and Tom was doing it at the time and that seemed like a cool thing, too. Getting to play a Russian KGB spy seemed like a really exciting thing. Getting to learn a lot about the Cold War, that sounded like a great idea. Now I get to work with Henry Cavill, which is really exciting with Guy Ritchie directing. I’m really excited to see what kind of frenetic spin he has in him. It should be really exciting.

Yes, the key word in this interview is.............. KGB Spy.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 4,622
    delfloria wrote:
    Yikes. This guy is right out to lunch. Someone rush him a copy of that dvd set with the 8 threatrical movies pronto. Dude needs an Uncle education quick.

Dear Guy Ritchie: Please hold his hand for all of the filming [-O< or pay McCallum himself to babysit him.

• timmer wrote:
    delfloria wrote:
    Yikes. This guy is right out to lunch. Someone rush him a copy of that dvd set with the 8 threatrical movies pronto. Dude needs an Uncle education quick.

Dear Guy Ritchie: Please hold his hand for all of the filming [-O< or pay McCallum himself to babysit him.

Before we get too upset, recall in The Neptune Affair in the first season that Kuryakin is seen in some kind of Soviet military uniform.

If U.N.C.L.E. is an international organization that the Soviet Union could be a member and Kuryakin has been assigned to U.N.C.L.E. He could be from the KGB, he could be from military intelligence, etc.

There is a part of U.N.C.L.E. fandom that insists that Kuryakin must have been a defector, but there's no evidence in the series to support that. David McDaniel, who wrote a number of the Ace paperbacks, did a never-published final novel. Part of the ending had Kuryakin returning to Russia.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I thought Kuryakin wound up running a dress shop. (The 15 Years Later Affair) :)

@AlexanderWaverly
    Thanks. Armie "the dude" Hammer induced stress level has stabilized.
    Kuryakin I do believe was on loan from the Soviets. He was an Uncle agent through and through, but yes, still assigned to the United Network Command by Mother Russia.
  • @Timmer; No worries.