What if Eon Productions did an extensive opinion poll to cast the next James Bond actor

2»

Comments

• AliAli
    00Ed wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    bad idea. you'd end up with another brosnan.

Actually, I get the sense that we might end up with Brosnan himself again.

No, we'd get Connory fighting off Quantum with his walking cane and armour plated mobility scooter. The Stana stairlift fight where he only uses a tartan travel rug and carpet slippers to fend off waves of henchmen on his way to the toilet would be spectacular.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Ali wrote:
    00Ed wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    bad idea. you'd end up with another brosnan.

Actually, I get the sense that we might end up with Brosnan himself again.

No, we'd get Connory fighting off Quantum with his walking cane and armour plated mobility scooter. The Stana stairlift fight where he only uses a tartan travel rug and carpet slippers to fend off waves of henchmen on his way to the toilet would be spectacular.

No, this is what Sir Sean Connery would look like as Bond in a film against Quantum:

8152613546_c883a1fda3_k.jpg

Come at him, I dare you. >:/
  • AliAli
    He'd certainly win the staring contest....!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ali wrote:
    He'd certainly win the staring contest....!

I'd watch it. He doesn't respond kindly to provocation. b-(
  • AliAli
    I'm banking on being able to run faster than him....or just being able to run full stop.
    Yeah, people don't want to acknowledge it (and I certainly understand), but Sean Connery is no longer the strong Alpha Male we all remember so fondly. The last time I saw him on TV a couple of years ago, he was talking slowly, his voice had become soft and faint, and he just looked and sounded like a very old man, not an action hero.

But going back to my original point:

When not posting on message boards like this, I like to talk Bond with friends, relatives, and even complete strangers, to get a sense of what the General Public is thinking. And I find it shocking, positively shocking, how many people honestly seem to think that it would be a good idea to bring back Brosnan after D-Craig hangs it up.

If, in this hypothetical popular vote we're discussing, the voters were allowed to write in for whoever they wanted, I swear I get the feeling that we would end up with the Return of the Broz.

• AliAli
    That just can't happen. I like Pierce. I think he's by far the most affable and charismatic of the Bonds, regardless of some very poor scripts, but if Craig does another two films, we're looking at 2019 at the earliest for a replacement, and Pierce will be 66 by then!!! I wouldn't even accept him back now as it's his 60th in 3 months time!
    I think they should keep the same system of selection. There is no harm in having a poll though.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    That's a quite good idea (thinking about Brosnan's success) but if it happened it should be kept as a study poll, in the end EoN will always have the final word :

I've already chosen my next 2 portrayers : 007th : Hugh Jackman
    008th : Michael Fassbender.
    No!
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    It'd be a good idea seeing what us fans want.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It'd be a good idea seeing what us fans want.

Dont lump me in with you Sir. We are most definitely not cut from the same cloth.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 14,812
    I'd hate the idea of Bond fans making the choice on the next Bond actor. There are lots o actors whos names I myself do not think would make a suitable OO7, whilst other fans think they would.
    Why let fans decide who the next Bond is?
    Whos vote would decide who gets the role?
    It's pointless and not going to happen.
    Infact this discussion is pretty much the same as this one...
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2589/who-shouldcould-be-a-bond-actor/p1
    Unless anyone objects strongly, this can be locked, and the discussion carried on in the linked thread.
    I'll give it 24 hours for objections or replies.
    Benny wrote:
    I'd hate the idea of Bond fans making the choice on the next Bond actor. There are lots o actors whos names I myself do not think would make a suitable OO7, whilst other fans think they would.

I'm kind of in the middle with this if we got given options lets say there were 4 Bonds that had got the part half-way and Eon said we had to choose one actor to be the new Bond and then there were like semi-finals then a final 2 months after the semi-final then we chose and if Eon agreed with us, but your right it'll never happen.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Benny wrote:

I'm kind of in the middle with this if we got given options lets say there were 4 Bonds that had got the part half-way and Eon said we had to choose one actor to be the new Bond and then there were like semi-finals then a final 2 months after the semi-final then we chose and if Eon agreed with us, but your right it'll never happen.

Genius idea (as usual).

And who gets to vote - are there registered Bond fans out there? I dont think so.

So you are basically advocating a TV show with Babs, MGW and presumably Simon Cowell sitting in judgement and the actors come on and do the gunbarrel and say 'the names Bond, James Bond', then the pig ignorant, retarded public (of which I'm counting you as one) get to vote do they?

'Bonds Got Talent' - I would sooner take one cheese grater to my eyeballs and another to my testicles than witness such a dismal spectacle.

The only saving grace might be Ian Fleming's corpse actually rising from the dead in fury to wreak a bloody and brutal vengeance on all involved - hopefully starting with hullcityfan.
    Benny wrote:

Genius idea (as usual).

And who gets to vote - are there registered Bond fans out there? I dont think so.

So you are basically advocating a TV show with Babs, MGW and presumably Simon Cowell sitting in judgement and the actors come on and do the gunbarrel and say 'the names Bond, James Bond', then the pig ignorant, retarded public (of which I'm counting you as one) get to vote do they?

'Bonds Got Talent' - I would sooner take one cheese grater to my eyeballs and another to my testicles than witness such a dismal spectacle.

The only saving grace might be Ian Fleming's corpse actually rising from the dead in fury to wreak a bloody and brutal vengeance on all involved - hopefully starting with hullcityfan.

=)) No I mean online poll.
    It's a terrible idea but knowing the way many people think these days it seems, I wouldn't be surprised If this would be a popular idea with the masses. Thankfully Bond is in the capable hands of people with a good quota of brain cells.
  • It's a terrible idea but knowing the way many people think these days it seems, I wouldn't be surprised If this would be a popular idea with the masses. Thankfully Bond is in the capable hands of people with a good quota of brain cells.

This
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,729
    Well, they haven't really done anything akin to this since before Dr. No was released in 1961 (the Daily Express it was, I think) and if memory serves, they picked some male model or other. I think it was because the Daily Express ran the Bond comic strip and that the announcement of the filming of the first James Bond film had been announced and they were looking for an actor to portray the James Bond of the novels and popular comic strip serialisation. But as we will in the age of social media, this might well be a distinct possibility, so you never know. as I always say, only time will tell.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 7
    I just don't really see the point, maybe if Eon had a track record of picking the wrong actors for the role then I could understand, but they have fairly consistently picked the right man for the right time for the past 50 years ( ok maybe George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton failed to live up to box office expectations but their portrayals have gained widespread fan approval over time and when you look at their competition they were by far the most suitable candidates).

As a fan I would never of voted Daniel Craig for James Bond, I thought he would of been totally unsuitable, so it's probably best to leave it to Eon, they know what their doing.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,729
    I just don't really see the point, maybe if Eon had a track record of picking the wrong actors for the role then I could understand, but they have fairly consistently picked the right man for the right time for the past 50 years ( ok maybe George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton failed to live up to box office expectations but their portrayals have gained widespread fan approval over time and when you look at their competition they were by far the most suitable candidates).

As a fan I would never of voted Daniel Craig for James Bond, I thought he would of been totally unsuitable, so it's probably best to leave it to Eon, they know what their doing.

Indeed. The common man in the street rarely has the right answer. As you rightly point out, few to none of us would have picked Daniel Craig as a suitable actor for the new James Bond based on personal appearance and height and yet he has proved very popular indeed. I('m happy to leave James Bond casting calls up to Eon Productions. They do indeed know what's best for Bond better than any of us. Leaving voting to those dire shows like The Voice and The X Factor.
    Pick me and lets make Bond 25. However, I think it should be cast how it is always cast and EON pick the actor.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 14,800
    Dragonpol wrote:

Indeed. The common man in the street rarely has the right answer. As you rightly point out, few to none of us would have picked Daniel Craig as a suitable actor for the new James Bond based on personal appearance and height and yet he has proved very popular indeed. I('m happy to leave James Bond casting calls up to Eon Productions. They do indeed know what's best for Bond better than any of us. Leaving voting to those dire shows like The Voice and The X Factor.

If Eon would have left it to the public to choose Bond actors, we would have had Hugh Grant in the 90s and Jude Law now. Actually no, ditch that: we would still have Hugh Grant. And Austin Powers would not have been made.
  • Benny wrote:

Genius idea (as usual).

=)) F'n hilarious Wiz! I must admit that I truly enjoy your sense of humor especially when it comes to @hullcityfan. Very entertaining. If you were doing stand up I'd gladly pay just to hear your material.

Anyway, there is zero doubt over here- they'd never go for a public farce such as this. I do believe they take some samplings of opinion for different things, but there's no way they'd make the results public. For all the heat they took for hiring Craig, they've been well vindicated by his overwhelming success in the role and I for one feel very confident that they will make the right choice for the times without our input. They don't need a bunch of slobbering giddy fanboys to help them with that. It's truly even more hysterical that they think EON would even consider such a suggestion.

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    ...then the pig ignorant, retarded public (of which I'm counting you as one)...

...The only saving grace might be Ian Fleming's corpse actually rising from the dead in fury to wreak a bloody and brutal vengeance on all involved - hopefully starting with hullcityfan.

There's no call for this. We don't tolerate personal attacks of this nature. It's a violation of the T&Cs. If you have a genuine problem with someone, PM a moderator.

• ml94ml94 Finland
    Tom Cullen "BOND 7", title (BOND 26) "THE PROPERTY OF A LADY". (2022)...