Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

What's wrong with the studios, don't they like original screenplays anymore? Don't they like being creative? Or is it the lure of a cgi money making strategy.

Original screenplays have always been more challenging, commercially, than films based on pre-existing IP.

Filmmaking is a very unusual business - unlike selling cars or cutlery or combine harvesters or computers, studios are producing and selling a one-off product every time. And they're expensive to make. And there's no way of knowing whether a film will be a success and make a lot of money or be a failure and lose a lot of money. Heaven's Gate is an example of what happens when things go very wrong.

As William Goldman wrote in Adventures in the Screen Trade, "nobody knows anything" i.e. you can't predict if a film will be successful before it hits cinemas. This is a problem hardwired into the film business. The best way to mitigate it is to make films that already have a pre-existing consumer base. That means films based on popular books or plays; or sequels or remakes; and usually with established stars.

It's not new: out of the 10 Best Picture winners from the 1940s, "the Golden Age of Hollywood," only 1 was an original screenplay. 8 were based on existing books or plays and a ninth, Casablanca, was based on an unproduced play. Almost every film Hitchcock ever made was based on pre-existing material and he even remade his own film, The Man Who Knew Too Much. The popular version of The Wizard of Oz starring Judy Garland was the sixth(!) time the story had been made into a film.

Without adaptations, remakes, sequels and prequels, the film industry as we know it wouldn't exist.

What he said.

I never liked the Terminator franchise all that much. The first one was a good, neat little bit of 80s paranoia, the second one a repeat of the first with an annoying kid and better FX, but I thought in the meantime it had lost the original's charm.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Meanwhile:
    comingsoon wrote:
    Alan Taylor to Direct the New Terminator Movie!
    Source: Variety
    September 5, 2013
    5 1

"Game of Thrones" and Thor: The Dark World director Alan Taylor is in talks to direct the Terminator reboot for Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions and Annapurna Pictures, reports Variety.

The first in a stand-alone trilogy, Terminator will be produced by Megan Ellison of Annapurna and David Ellison of Skydance. Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake of Skydance will serve as executive producers. Laeta Kalorgridis (Avatar, Shutter Island) and Patrick Lussier (Drive Angry) are attached to write the screenplay.

Terminator is scheduled to hit theaters on June 26, 2015.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    OK great. But I also, for some reason, don't care.

Also, how are they going to get three films out by 2019, the year the rights revert back to Cameron? Unless the others are in 2017 and 2019. Talk about rushed.

Wishing this one all the best, thanks for the news @boldfinger.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm not too fussed either but Alan Taylor as director peaks my interest.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Samuel001 wrote:
    OK great. But I also, for some reason, don't care.

Also, how are they going to get three films out by 2019, the year the rights revert back to Cameron? Unless the others are in 2017 and 2019. Talk about rushed.

Wishing this one all the best, thanks for the news @boldfinger.

A film every two years seems rushed? I guess for Terminator, which has a track record of one film every almost ten years, this would seem rushed, but let's take a look at other franchises:

Bond had one film a year to begin with, with DN, FRWL, GF and TB all released a year apart. Later on, the series changed to one every two years, with the occasional gap growing to four years, and now it seems we're lucky if we get one every three-four years.

Paranormal Activity has, I think apart from the gap between PA1 and PA2 been a year between films.

There was a two year gap between Iron Man and Iron Man 2, and then another two year gap between Iron Man 2 and The Avengers, a one year gap between Thor/Captain America and The Avengers, and then a one year gap between The Avengers and Iron Man 3/Thor The Dark World. There will be a one year gap between Captain America The Winter Soldier and The Avengers Age of Ultron.

Not to mention that TV shows have tighter schedules than any film, and are often better.

One film every two years isn't exactly rushed, compared to some franchises.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't think one film every two years would be bad. Bond has managed it at times, and other film series/trilogies/etc. have managed it, too, without being failures.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Let's re-re-boot Trek now, can we? Bond too. Re-re boots are cool, re-re-re boots would be cooler!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Let's re-re-boot Trek now, can we? Bond too. Re-re boots are cool, re-re-re boots would be cooler!

Well, did you manage to see the 'Robocop' reboot? Go watch it, and prepare to cringe. It looks awful. Just another great film that needn't be remade.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Yeah, but the kids will love it. Me? I have 1, 2 & 3 on DVD, and I love 'em (YES, EVEN 3). This new Robocop will be as good as the Lost In Space movie. b-(
  • Does reboot neccesarily mean rehash though? It could just be a new set of films with different ideas from the previous films?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    chrisisall wrote:
    Let's re-re-boot Trek now, can we?

You joke, it'll happen one day. Probably sooner than you think. I'm betting after the third Abrams Trek, we'll get another reboot.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2013 Posts: 4,416
    No reboot! Look like we going to get movie who play between Terminator 1 and Terminator 2 or Terminator prequel.

Because 1 actor from the first movie return.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/28562/hamilton-biehn-back-for-terminator-5
    Hamilton, Biehn Back For "Terminator 5"?

By Garth Franklin Tuesday September 10th 2013 08:31AM
    Hamilton, Biehn Back For "Terminator 5"?

The latest wild rumor in the British tabloids is that Arnold Schwarzenegger may not be the only one who will be back for the fifth "Terminator" film.

Alan Taylor helms the next film, the first of a new trilogy, and a recent article in the British paper The Mirror claims that Arnie is expected to earn over $20 million to return to the franchise.

Surprisingly enough, the news outlet also claims actors Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn will also return to the cast. The film is currently targeting a June 2015 release.

Source: The Mirror
    They were also in the first one, so how does this insinuate "between 2 and 3".
    chrisisall wrote:
    Let's re-re-boot Trek now, can we?

You joke, it'll happen one day. Probably sooner than you think. I'm betting after the third Abrams Trek, we'll get another reboot.

isn't he moving to do Star Wars? His Star Trek often looked and felt like a SW demo.
  • Yes I think Abrams will remain as an executive producer on the third Star Trek film but his time will be taken up by Star Wars for the next decade.
  • Maye Abrams should have a go at a Willow or Howard the Duck reboot?
    I'm sure they considered it.
    Yes I think Abrams will remain as an executive producer on the third Star Trek film but his time will be taken up by Star Wars for the next decade.

That's if he stays on for the whole trilogy. I wouldn't mind if we had three directors for three films. It didn't hurt the Original Trilogy.
  • Yes I think Abrams will remain as an executive producer on the third Star Trek film but his time will be taken up by Star Wars for the next decade.

That's if he stays on for the whole trilogy. I wouldn't mind if we had three directors for three films. It didn't hurt the Original Trilogy.

To be honest, the only was I see that happening is if Abrams makes a complete hash of Episode 7.
  • He's messed up my beloved stark trek and now he's going to balls up this one up....

He should have done new Indiana movies...
    He's messed up my beloved stark trek and now he's going to balls up this one up....

He should have done new Indiana movies...

He did, but to be fair they had started messing up Star Trek way before him. A bit like Star Wars if he messes it up.

To go back to the OP (somehow): how about Abrams rebooting Terminator? How would it look like? His production company is called Bad Robot, after all.
  • Bad Robot....I liked the last terminator movie...that world still needs to be explored...bale needs to come back...Arnie should stay clear but that's never going to happen...
  • Rumours that Linda Hamiltion and Michael Biehn could return for T5.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 14,799
    Bad Robot....I liked the last terminator movie...that world still needs to be explored...bale needs to come back...Arnie should stay clear but that's never going to happen...

I actually preferred when the world was not explored and remained dark and mysterious, and because of this powerfully evocative. The original movie was a neat little piece of sci-fi paranoia with a dash of horror. Who would want a sequel to A Clockwork Orange or 1984?
    Rumours that Linda Hamiltion and Michael Biehn could return for T5.

That might work, if the next one is a sequel to Salvation, set just before Connor sends Kyle Reese back. Then we can get a rehash of their first scene in The Terminator.
    Ludovico wrote:
    To go back to the OP (somehow): how about Abrams rebooting Terminator? How would it look like? His production company is called Bad Robot, after all.
    I guess it wouldn´t look quite as cute as that little robot from the company logo, but also not meaner than his ST films. And he would be immensely secretive, so he could leak three weeks before release that Arnold is in the film.

boldfinger wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    I guess it wouldn´t look quite as cute as that little robot from the company logo, but also not meaner than his ST films. And he would be immensely secretive, so he could leak three weeks before release that Arnold is in the film.

Or he wouldn't show at all, and there would be extensive differences between the new T-800 and the "old" one from the original series. And elements of T2, T3, etc. would be heavily featured.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,879
    I'm still not sure how I feel about a Terminator reboot, but the title is now rumoured (apparently announced) to be Terminator: Genesis. Wikipedia have already adopted this new title.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/terminator/28543/terminator-5-has-its-title
    http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00066476.html
    Yet another generic subtitle for a film. Great work. Though, I must say 'Genesis' is better than most of the subtitles we've had in the last five or six years. I still wish this was just a sequel to 'Salvation' or a new standalone trilogy, there's really no need to reboot it. The timeline and events were already screwed up with the third movie, which negated the ending of T2, so why not just continue as a sequel?

Either way, I'm still going to see it, I love the 'Terminator' films. I hope Dwayne Johnson manages a role as the Terminator, he's the only one that comes to mind that could do it, in terms of physique.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,879
    Yeah, I'll still see it either way. Johnson would make a great and terrifying T-600 or T-700, judging by his latest physique :))

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/4323/terminatormodels1.jpg