Ilustrated Fleming 007 - by Brian Berley

edited June 2013 in Literary 007 Posts: 686

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    WOWWWWW!! Great stuff!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I have followed this guy's work for years, and love his Bond art. Here is his website for those wanting more:

http://www.brianberley.com/

I had looked forward to him doing art for the other Bond novels he missed, so this is quite exciting!
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 562
    These are amazing! Thanks for posting this, @Perdogg!

Now I'm thinking that I would really love to see 100% Fleming-accurate animated films of all the novels...
  • I had already seen his Bond work on YouTube, but I totally agree: this is some stunning stuff! I'd LOVE to see Berley at the helm of an animated Bond adventure!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Is he going to bring out a book with these images or anything?
    Dragonpol wrote:

I guess he would have to get IFP permission.
    Perdogg wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I guess he would have to get IFP permission.

Yes, I initially thought this thread was about a book. I prefer drawings a la George Almond's of the Bond villains and other characters.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Mind....blown!

That was animation/illustration nervana.
    It's sadly been taken down from You Tube now, presumably due to rights issues.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Dragonpol wrote:

That is really bad.. I hope someone will reupload it, because that clip was art!
    MrBond wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

That is really bad.. I hope someone will reupload it, because that clip was art!

Well, as he took it down himself, I can't see that happening, sadly. He joined the site recently under his own name to explain this.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I had the chance to talk with the man himself on the phone to Boston the other evening and at my request he posted on the thread that I put up when I found out about the site being closed down its a sad thing to see it go but he was asked to remove the art work by the powers that be and had to comply .
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes, it appears that Brian's mission to publish his work was what has now caused the removal of his beautiful pieces. Why IFP or anyone who holds certain rights wouldn't want such masterful artwork to represent the James Bond brand worldwide, I can't guess. After years of phenomenal work and dedication, this is the thanks Mr. Berley gets. The "powers that be" should be ashamed of themselves.
    Yes, it appears that Brian's mission to publish his work was what has now caused the removal of his beautiful pieces. Why IFP or anyone who holds certain rights wouldn't want such masterful artwork to represent the James Bond brand worldwide, I can't guess. After years of phenomenal work and dedication, this is the thanks Mr. Berley gets. The "powers that be" should be ashamed of themselves.

Rather predictable though, isn't it? It's always been that way with Bond, hasn't it?
    Dragonpol wrote:

Rather predictable though, isn't it? It's always been that way with Bond, hasn't it?

A fight for copyrights you mean? It sure seems like it, clear back to the old days of Fleming/EON vs. McClory. Again, a shame.
    Dragonpol wrote:

A fight for copyrights you mean? It sure seems like it, clear back to the old days of Fleming/EON vs. McClory. Again, a shame.

Exactly. They have no sense of humour and are hence much too litigiouis about the slightest thing, even if it benefits them!
    I am shure that you and I Brady would welcome a return of the site however let us not forget that
    They the powers that be are only doing what they have a right to do and after all without them we would all be a great deal less well off when it comes anything new in the way of Bond
    Regards Coggins.
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    I am shure that you and I Brady would welcome a return of the site however let us not forget that
    They the powers that be are only doing what they have a right to do and after all without them we would all be a great deal less well off when it comes anything new in the way of Bond
    Regards Coggins.

Of course. I know it is their legal right to protect their product from copyright infringement. I wouldn't want that legal right to be taken away from them. I'll say that now.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Regards Coggins.

Of course. I know it is their legal right to protect their product from copyright infringement. I wouldn't want that legal right to be taken away from them. I'll say that now.

And as such I think this matter is best left to the people directly involved in its progress and with that in mind this discourse can now rest.
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Regards Coggins.

And as such I think this matter is best left to the people directly involved in its progress and with that in mind this discourse can now rest.

Indeed and of course. I'm a law graduate, so I'm all for that.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Regards Coggins.
    Surely, my friend. I am just a little confused as to the whole business. As you said, this is a private matter between Brian and those who hold the rights, and only those said individuals; and I get that. I am just a bit bemused as to why such action had to be taken in the first place, seeing as Brian has never shown a desire to anything but good in publishing his art that was clearly created out of love, and wishes no infringement, wrong-doing or any form of substantial harm in doing it.
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Regards Coggins.
    Surely, my friend. I am just a little confused as to the whole business. As you said, this is a private matter between Brian and those who hold the rights, and only those said individuals; and I get that. I am just a bit bemused as to why such action had to be taken in the first place, seeing as Brian has never shown a desire to anything but good in publishing his art that was clearly created out of love, and wishes no infringement, wrong-doing or any form of substantial harm in doing it.

Indeed, but lawyers don't see any shades of grey - even if the thing in question is of benefit to the franchise, whether cinematic or literary, and that is a real shame. Such is life, I suppose. Unless it is authorised by the powers that be, they are not going to even countenace it or allow it to exist independent of them.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    It's sad just because a "part 2" were on it's way..

I knew i should have saved that excellent video, it was among the best things on YouTube!