New members - introduce yourself

Comments

Quoting Luds: Highlight text, hit the popup
    Nice, thanks.

xxx
    Looks like we're all noobs again - what fun.

Not sure how I feel about this all - but what frustrates me about this is that we weren't warned - as Sykes said up there there are posts, reviews, (in my case) small writing pieces that were on the forums that I would have liked to collect up before the change.

There should've been prior warning about this - bad management skills there, James/any of the mods who knew about this. I'm sorry but you really should've given everyone at least a weeks warning instead of a quickie today - not impressed, boys.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Folks, please see this page for further details

http://www.mi6-hq.com/moved/
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 70
    Quoting Fairbairn-Sykes: Judging by the categories of discussion there seems to be no place for "General"
    film and tv threads, AKA the thing that sustains MI6 between Bond news (which
    can be a long time when MGM is bankrupt). I think this is subtly done to prevent
    Star Trek and Batman from cluttering the place up, but let's be serious --
    Manhunter vs. Red Dragon and other kinds of general topics were the lifeblood of
    the place.

I'm willing to wait to and see if they're creating new sections.
    Quoting Fairbairn-Sykes: I understand the reason why a new forum - but I think the old forum's address should stay as a read-only archive for posterity. Too bad it's too late for any input apparently!
    Agreed. I've been here for 8 years, I understand the need to adapt and change. Since I went on the site it underwent no major overhauls visually. That's fine. I wish- not even that they would have asked our opinion, with so many members that is impossible- but just have said: Listen, we are taking everything down. It won't be saved. You have two weeks. Get what you need. Save it.

For members, especially those who have been here for almost a decade and integral to the community, that is the least that could have been done.
    Quoting Lazenby.: Has Babs took over this place or something?
    HAHAHA, LOL!!!

xxx
  • For example: The Bond Bibliography. A work that the regular frequenters of the Literary Section slaved over, constantly updating and perfecting.

At this point its not even worth starting over, the thing was so big and comprehensive.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 202
    Removed by a moderator
  • I don't mind the new format. I confess to having a few pangs of regret at seeing the old format go, but I expect this may grow on me in time... already a few things I like about it!

Shame about the old material though. I suppose here we forge ahead then?
  • SirHilaryBrayOBESirHilaryBrayOBE Chez Hilly, Portsmouth
    blockquote>Quoting AgentLeiter: Shame about the old material though. I suppose here we forge ahead then?

going to have to, chum.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 70
    Quoting Fairbairn-Sykes: For example: The Bond Bibliography. A work that the regular frequenters of the
    Literary Section slaved over, constantly updating and perfecting.

At
    this point its not even worth starting over, the thing was so big and
    comprehensive.
    What about the thread of movies that had more than one Bond actor in them?

Bond locations on Google Earth?

And a hundred others? This is a travesty!
  • and the quote system is crap.
    I suppose we'll all be celebrating our new anniversaries at the same time then. :/

Must say I'm glad at least I saw Tux's "half-hour and counting" post at the old MI6 - though admittedly I was fairly surprised to go off, watch a movie and return to find it all changed.

Though I will say, glad I've finally got a Lazenby 'tache avatar. Even if all my previous avatarmaking is lost, not to mention all my film stuffs. Hmm.
    *Cursory look at new layout*

Bye, folks. It's been a fun couple of years. Took me that long to get up to 999 posts...
  • SirHilaryBrayOBESirHilaryBrayOBE Chez Hilly, Portsmouth
    edited March 2011 Posts: 66
    Quoting TheWhiteTuxedo: What about the thread of movies that had more than one Bond actor in them?
    lumme, I forgot about that. Almost my pride and joy...well, a bit of fun digging them all out.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Wow, had no idea this change was taking place.

Anyways, I was Dr. Kerim Largo at the other place. Figured now would be a good time to shorten the name to Kerim and go with a new picture.

Hopefully the other relevant discussions get transferred over.

Are we keeping our post counts or starting over?

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Well, I think the only solution for us at the moment is...be used to it!!! :-D

xxx
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting TheWhiteTuxedo: and the quote system is crap.
    I think you've accidentally deleted a < or something.
  • If that's a true post, I respect it FourDot. If the members whose interactions I appreciated the most don't transfer over, I'll probably go Galt myself. Without the backlog of posts to work from, the thing keeping me here is the people. Without them (and without any Bond news of relevance to discuss), what's the point?
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    Quoting AgentLeiter: I don't mind the new format. I confess to having a few pangs of regret at seeing the old format go, but I expect this may grow on me in time... already a few things I like about it!

Shame about the old material though. I suppose here we forge ahead then?

Absolutely. I too will miss the old girl and have always been resistant to change. however, I'm willing to welcome this with open arms and am looking forward to taking this community out for a spin.

I can't tell you how many times I'd be loggon on the forums thinking: "I've had this discussion a million times already. Why should I bother repeating myself?"

I feel like now I have an opportunity to start all over again. I'm excited about ranking the Bond films, talking about Bond 23 and moving forward.

I wish there was a way to save all that was lost but I will eventually come to terms with the fact that that is impossible.
    Tux certainly has a point. While this fresh new look is interesting, it is a bit devastating when you think about the losses. All those threads. Especially Fan Fiction/Fan Media. 27 interviews over an 8 year span charting the history of MI6 Fan Fiction. About 90% of those members don't go here anymore. It was truly a time capsule of the website. To see how the films and news and currents of the time influence the members creative capabilities.

Oh well. Hopefully, British Chap and I will reboot the series. We'll keep in mind those 27 interviews of the past, shame though that the hard, hard work of Agent 007, Walther, and GAThrawnIGF since 2003 is gone forever.
  • Also -- its a bit annoying to have to scroll down the ENTIRE PAGE to get to the next page buttons, especially if the threads all automatically start on the first page without any ability to go right to the latest one. Major layout mistake.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Hello chaps, this is all rather a pleasant surprise that's not in the slightest going to massively irritate the vast majority of loyal members, well done MI6!!! =D>
  • Well, this is new.

*pulls up deck chair and sips Southern Comfort*
    How do you add pictures? Can you bold/italicize text? I'm assuming you can't for the latter two. At least knowing how to post pictures would be a good start.
    Quoting Fairbairn-Sykes:
    Also -- its a bit annoying to have to scroll down the ENTIRE
    PAGE to get to the next page buttons, especially if the threads all
    automatically start on the first page without any ability to go right to the
    latest one. Major layout mistake.
    Yeah, I've started a thread to deal with this.
    Quoting Moore: Oh well. Hopefully, British Chap and I will reboot the series. We'll keep in mind those 27 interviews of the past, shame though that the hard, hard work of Agent 007, Walther, and GAThrawnIGF since 2003 is gone forever.
    I look forward to its continued success, Moore. I hope all is well.
  • Hello, I'm new to this site. Getting used to the format.
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    edited March 2011 Posts: 158
    Quoting TheGoldenGun:
    Hello, I'm new to this site. Getting used to the format.
    We all are. There seems to be quite a learning curve here.
    Well, this was unexpected. All my great posts gone, and now I have to start from scratch :( . And what's this all Facebook and Twitter gibberish? I was way more satifyed with the old classic forum style.

Oh well, it was time for some change.

P.S. And just so you all would know, I was formerly knowned as Mr. Trevelyan.