SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Risico007 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    You just have to wait. Today, tomorrow, next month, something will come.

We got the Mendes news a couple of weeks ago so that should of held people over for a while, I would have thought.

I'm sorry what Mendes news? I believe he is still rumored as is Ang Lee and others. Until I see a press release it is all just rumor.

The news that it looks certain Mendes is coming back after having done the U-turn. Everyone was discussing it.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

We got the Mendes news a couple of weeks ago so that should of held people over for a while, I would have thought.

I'm sorry what Mendes news? I believe he is still rumored as is Ang Lee and others. Until I see a press release it is all just rumor.

The news that it looks certain Mendes is coming back after having done the U-turn. Everyone was discussing it.

no it's still a rumor
    Risico007 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

no it's still a rumor

Yes, it's a rumour but rumours are news.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2013 Posts: 12,459
    It's a rumor but one that is further developed, a more likely looking one.
    Here we are about to be mid-June. I'm hoping for news on the director asap (this month?!) but would also love to know more about the progress on the script.
    Rumors are news, but apparently not for this thread. Sorry it's been so quiet. I've been off writing a book while I wait for only the facts to emerge. :(|)
    edited June 2013 Posts: 12,459
    @JWestbrook, I just re-read your original post. You have listed the timeline so nicely.

Of course people are just grumbling here and want FACTS, just the facts, sir. But that complaint is not really directed as this thread - people are just griping out of frustration.

This thread is the place for rumors AND confirmed news. It's a timeline. Which I, for one, appreciate. Now I don't want to read every single rumor that's out there on the internet, but I welcome all kinds of input here. So bring on the rumors, folks, when you hear (or read) them and we can continue discussing things - and seeing which things pan out to be true, within this timeline thread.

Yes we have another rumor thread, too. But the major rumors can be brought up here, I think, no problem.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,400
    Sam Mendes has confirmed that he is in discussions to direct the next Bond:
    http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2013/06/sam-mendes-rules-himself-out-of-the-running-for-national-theatre-job/

It's hidden in this story about him turning down the National Theatre job, but pretty big news nonetheless.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2013/06/sam-mendes-rules-himself-out-of-the-running-for-national-theatre-job/

It's hidden in this story about him turning down the National Theatre job, but pretty big news nonetheless.

Very interesting. Who would have thought a few months ago that Mendes would turn down EON's offer to direct Bond 24, and then turn around and join discussions about helming it later on? I wonder what changed his mind, if this news is indeed reliable?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited June 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Edit

"Hidden" is quite an understatement, I would say.
    After vehemently rejecting the idea of directing the next Bond film, Mendes now "adding that he is in discussions for directing the next Bond film" sounds pretty positive to me.

Interesting
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

Thanks for sharing the news @Pierce2Daniel. It's significant that he was so open about the issue, that says it's serious and not just a possibility. Does anyone know when Chocolate Factory opens?
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    "If I run the National Theatre I can’t direct movies" means in two weeks when Charlie And The Chocolate Factory opens, Mendes will be confirmed as director. So a July announcement I reckon.

Things are about to start moving.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Samuel001 wrote:
    "If I run the National Theatre I can’t direct movies" means in two weeks when Charlie And The Chocolate Factory opens, Mendes will be confirmed as director. So a July announcement I reckon.

Things are about to start moving.

If he's going to the direct, we don't know for sure yet. Unfortunally.
    Next month, I think it could be confirmed, I really do. Everything points to Mendes directing Bond 24.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Next month, I think it could be confirmed, I really do. Everything points to Mendes directing Bond 24.

If he does it'll be better than Skyfall but really looking forward to big number 25!
    To me this news is pretty much the confirmation we were waiting for and I think the closest thing to official we're going to get until the prods announce the film's release date which if it is 2015 may be sometime yet.

I know that SF had its issues what with the MGM bankruptcy, but look at the chain of events last time:
    Mendes was revealed as the SF director by the trades and Deadline:
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=8214
    But we got the official announcement of his appointment sometime later:
    http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/bond-is-back-daniel-craig-and-sam-mendes-set-for-nov-9-2012-release-date/

Ignore the MGM thing, but throughout the entire process it was obvious to all of us that Mendes was going to do it. His 'official' announcement was merely a technicality and I think the same is the case here, Mendes is official in the sense that he will direct the next film but I don't think he has committed just yet. Just like how he was unofficially connected to SF for so long.

Regardless of the coyness of Sam's comments, I think it 100% certain he'll be back. I mean Logan has been working off a story the pair cracked together since last summer. By this fact Bond 24 was always a Sam Mendes movie from the offset regardless who directed it.
    The release date may also be confirmed next month too. Only Friday 13th November in 2015 is free and EON will want to snap this up as soon as they can. Both in one press release, I say.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The release date may also be confirmed next month too. Only Friday 13th November in 2015 is free and EON will want to snap this up as soon as they can. Both in one press release, I say.

What about the title?
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 9,730
    any bond 24 bits Germanlady?

Sigh well Mendes is returning ok I guess he can only improve right.
    I am really glad this is moving towards Mendes being confirmed. I can only assume he'll be happy enough with Logan's script since they had started discussing it together quite some time ago.
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited June 2013 Posts: 108
    Germanlady wrote:
    Great video. =) Mendes is a very engaging speaker. I could listen to him for hours.

On a side note: In the final minutes of that particular interview, Sam Mendes firmly states that he envisions Moneypenny returning to the field alongside Bond in the next film instead of remaining desk-bound. As such, -if- Mendes returns as director and -if- he contributes to the Bond 24 plot, it seems quite likely that Moneypenny will be "back in action" as a sidekick with Bond on the next mission.
    Strelik wrote:
    ...Sam Mendes firmly states that he envisions Moneypenny returning to the field alongside Bond in the next film instead of remaining desk-bound. As such, -if- Mendes returns as director and -if- he contributes to the Bond 24 plot, it seems quite likely that Moneypenny will be "back in action" as a sidekick with Bond on the next mission.

I'm not liking the sound of that. I suppose if it only went as far as Lois Maxwell's involvement in YOLT and TSWLM, it would be all right...

boldfinger wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

"Maybe they could all put that in one big mix and have a way to start with something fresh with Bond' son after Bond's death"

I loathe that idea. Just me ofcourse. :) If Bond is killed off, then that should be it. The end. I don't want any bollocks made about his son.

I wonder if Eon would agree to Bond having a son in the films. If they did do this, after seeing the baby, I don't think we should ever see him again. There should be a bit of dialogue about it in future Bond films like in Pearson's Bond biography where Bond mentions that he's only seen him on the odd occasion.
    You gotta be kidding taking that idea even halfway serious? Bond defied age and time for 50 years. If he died all of a sudden the world would collapse.

I enjoy entertaining certain notions, no matter how absurd. :)
    Agent005 wrote:
    Strelik wrote:
    ...Sam Mendes firmly states that he envisions Moneypenny returning to the field alongside Bond in the next film instead of remaining desk-bound. As such, -if- Mendes returns as director and -if- he contributes to the Bond 24 plot, it seems quite likely that Moneypenny will be "back in action" as a sidekick with Bond on the next mission.

I'm not liking the sound of that. I suppose if it only went as far as Lois Maxwell's involvement in YOLT and TSWLM, it would be all right...

No thanks. Horrible idea. I dislike the whole Moneypenny back story anyway. That was one thing but to have her out in the field yet again is just wrong. It would be veering too far from what Fleming envisioned. That's too much of a change. It's wrong. Penny in the Moneypenny DIaries ended up doing a bit of spying and even this I wasn't entirely happy with (they are great books though) but she was far from an action woman like Harris's character is.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Bounine wrote:
    No thanks. Horrible idea. I dislike the whole Moneypenny back story anyway. That was one thing but to have her out in the field yet again is just wrong. It would be veering too far from what Fleming envisioned. That's too much of a change. It's wrong. Penny in the Moneypenny DIaries ended up doing a bit of spying and even this I wasn't entirely happy with (they are great books though) but she was far from an action woman like Harris's character is.

Agreed. I also didn't like her new origin story but I can accept it as a interesting twist on the character if they just keep it to one movie. Bond doesn't need a sidekick.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I am against MP back in the field for Bond 24 or any coming film for that matter. If they do that they will go back on all the development the character had in Skyfall.
    I would like her to go out and get some information herself, she knows Bond needs and somehow doesn't have, which again endangers him. by the looks of her, she isn't MP anyway, so why not use er in different ways? IMO, the books shouldn't be the main concern but interesting plot and twists. Helen McCrory would have been the perfect MP for me.

I know, I know...don't break my neck yet.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I hated Helen's character in Skyfall, though I think that was the intention. I couldn't see that character as MP.